Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series: FAQ

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,901
    Usually the reservoir cracks at the seam, but sometimes the pump seal can leak as well.

• I am thinking of buying plastic tank fix solution, will I be able to use it to fix it. If so, what should be my approach.

Thanks,
    Sam.
    You know, I'd price a new one first. If it's like $30 bucks, do that. I've tried to patch these things and it never seems to last.

But if it's really pricey, you might try something like JB Weld, a two-part epoxy.

• Thanks for the reply, i would'nt mind buying a new part, but i could not find it online, do u know of any source where i would be able to get it for the best possible price?

Thanks,
    Sam.
    tell me again year, model.

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I assume you are talking about an E46 325i (MY2001-2005), but I guess your 325i could be a low mileage E36 too (MY1992-1995).

Oh well, Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com) has reservoirs for both cars. E36 part# 61 66 8 370 834:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CB33&mospid=47498&btnr=61_0070&hg=- 61&fg=45&hl=12

The E46 part# 61 66 7 007 970:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ET37&mospid=47720&btnr=61_1084&hg=- 61&fg=45&hl=5

See which one you need and enter the part number in Bav Auto's search window (at the upper left part of the screen).
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Didn't mean to steal your thunder shifty... :blush:
    hey, more power to ya'....thanks!

• Thanks! i do see the part for my E46.

Thanks once again to you guys!
    Sam.
  • I just bought a 2007 328i. Unfortunately it did not come prewired for satellite radio. I already have a sirius replay that I would like to use in the car if I can do it without making it look tacky.
    #1. The car is a lease so I can't do anything that could potentially damage it.
    #2: I live in California and it is illegal to drive with anything mounted to the windshield (they give you a windshield mount with the radio)
    Has anybody put in an aftermarket portable satellite and if so, where/how did you mount it?
  • pangapanga Posts: 23
    Hi,

Does anyone know if Bluetooth was standard (or part of Premium pkg) on the 2004 BMW 330i?

Thanks.
  • pangapanga Posts: 23
    Hi,

I am thinking about buying a CPO 2004 330i. Are all CPOs 'equal', i.e., if they are the same age and mileage (and options), are they considered to be equally sound mechanically if they are both CPO? Or are there variations that show up in terms of pricing? Any opinions would be appreciated,

Thanks.
  • rhmassrhmass Posts: 263
    I won't say all CPO cars are equal other than that they all carry the same warranty. You don't know how they were serviced and how they were driven. Since the 2004 model is still under the BMW maintenance plan, you can probably assume the required maintenance services have been done by the previous owner. Test drive it and if possible also test drive a new 328i which may give you some idea about the handling since the power differential between the 04 330i CPO and the 07 328i is not that great.
  • absoluticabsolutic Posts: 29
    Does anyone know a reliable yet unexpensive place in the greater los angeles to tint windows in a 328i?
    Just wondering if anyone either has the same experience or knows the probable cause of it.
    My 2002 325xiT with auto transmission has developed relatively loud booming sound between 62 to 67 on highway, particularly when accelerating. It is quite audible. The car drives well and the booming doesn't associate with any engine power deterioration. The wagon's mileage is 36,000, although the issue above occurred at least 6,000 miles ago.
    Anyone has any idea of the probable cause for the problem. Could it be a transmission issue? Thanks for any idea you can share.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,262
    Are you still driving on the original tires?

Tire noise is fairly common as the tires wear, and some tire brands & types are much worse than others in this regard.
    That's a thought. I never connect the booming noise with the tires which are originals with about 28,000 miles, since I do use snow tires for the winter. Time for tire change soon. It is a relief if it is not a transmission issue. Thanks.
  • vulture1vulture1 Posts: 1
    Sam,

I am running into the same problem, prewired but do not know how to make it work. I have a Razr and would love to use the prewired functionality and did not receive much help from the dealership.

Have you had any luck?

Regards,

Harish
  • scholderscholder Posts: 14
    I am looking for part #'s for the oil pan protective covers for both a 2001 740i and 2003 330i BMW. Also trying to locate a glove compartment lock for 740i. Has anyone discovered an alternative for cofee cup holder that can be used in place of the defective one's in the 740i that always go bad and cost a fortune to fix?

Also, the 330i has a burning smell once in awhile, but not always and is related to a "small" oil leak off the gasket head cover. There is no drops on ground so it has to be a small leak. What's the best way to go about solving and diagnosing this problem?
  • bmw_123bmw_123 Posts: 15
    Hello, my car had a frontal damage and after a collision repair I am observing that when I drive the car at low speeds (with mostly AC on) it makes a loud fan noise, the one that comes from big trucks. At high speeds also it might be making sound but I don't get to hear it.

The car otherwise runs fine without any issues. And this Noise is not present when the car is idle.

Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Sam.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,504
    A problem like this is ver difficult to diagnose long distance. It sounds like part of the fan or fan shroud assembly was installed improperly or left off altogether. I'm guessing that the shop that performed the repair doesn't specialize in BMWs?

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Oh geez, I wonder if they forgot to put the air filter back in or the air intake hose.

• bmw_123bmw_123 Posts: 15
    Thanks you guys! Looks like I will have hard time explaining this issue to the shop mechanic. It was not actually BMW repair shop, but this shop claims to be specialized in Germen cars.

Thanks!

Sam.
    You know what I always say...just because they work on Mercedes doesn't mean they know beans about a BMW, or an Audi or a Porsche, or vice-versa. In fact, I think the best independent shops are not "Pan-German".

• This might seem like a silly question but what is the little square box for on the right side of the back bumper? It looks like it is supposed to open but does not. Looks like a smaller version of the gas door.

I have an '07 335 but see these on all BMW's.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,504
    what is the little square box for on the right side of the back bumper?

That's the cover for the screw-in tow fitting receptacle. It's are a requirement in Germany, if not the entire EU. You'll find the fitting in your onboard tool kit, as well as on page 231 of your Owners Manual.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• I just bt a 328xi w the BMW assist and am wondering if I also need AAA. Tnx Keith
    I think AAA "Plus" Program with the 100 mile tow is a great bargain and worth the 75 bucks. I don't think BMW Assist will drag you that far. I have it so that I can be taken to my favorite dealer, not just the 35 mile limit or whatever it is before the charges start.

• It depends on how lucky you are. I believe Both AAA and BMW subcontract their services to local mechanic shops, like all other road-side assistance services. A lot of these guys at either service get paid by the local body/mechanic shops to get cars in for possible repairs. So often they'd try to trick you into towing your car to their own shop or the shop where they get paid for bringing business. You have to be firm with these guys to get your car to your residence instead, or mechanic of your choosing.
    That's why I like the Plus plan--you're paying in advance for the 100 miles so there should be no argument about it.

This discussion has been closed.