Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series: FAQ

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hopefully Div2 will chime in here shortly as I'm pretty sure he posted a link some time back to a DIY discussion of that sensor. IIRC, it's a fairly easy job and could well save you some $$$.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Yep, a failed crankshaft position sensor can cause the problems that you described. Fortunately the R&R is a fairly simple and inexpensive procedure; the part itself costs less than $90, and it takes less than an hour to swap it out.
  • After talking to various auto-shops i quickly decided (not sure why i did that..) that i will have it replaced at the BMW dealership itself, After waiting for 2 hours i got my car back all clean and washed. They charged $175 for labour and $113 for the part. Just by looking at the error code they were initially not sure wether it is an intake or exhaust camshaft postition sensor (Even though it said 'A' - but who knows what 'A' stands for anyways), the parts shop had both of them but they told me there wont be any return on electrical parts if i take both of them and then later on return one of them after showing it to some other mechanic.

Doing some research before going to the mechanic/dealership was definitely worthwhile, otherwise who knows how much it would have costed me to take my car, with startup problems and "Service Engine" lights on, to the authorised mechanic or Dealership.

Thanks to shipo and dev2 for giving me some info. to begin with.
  • I recently purchased an '88 hardtop 3-series. the timing belt was changed in 2001 but that was only less than 5,000 miles ago. the vehicle has been garaged since 2000 by a collector. the question is, do timing belts erode over time or is the need to change strictly at the 60,000 mile marker.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Just curious, do you have a 325i or 325is?

There are many schools of thought on timing belt replacement.

Some say 60,000 miles and 7 years. Others more fanatical say 30,000 miles and 4 years.

I'm somewhere in the middle, but since your car has been sitting for many years, I would change it immediately. It's cheap insurance against catastrophic engine damage (which will result if the belt breaks).

After you change it, do it again every 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.
  • I'd change the belt. 325s WILL break their belts, too. There's not much room for error. And it would be a great opportunity to flush out the old coolant and replace or at least inspect the hoses and drive belts and perhaps replace the water pump while you're at it.
  • Hello, I would like to find out how i can couple my cell phone (motorola with bluetooth) with my 2001 BMW 325i, I see that it has arrangements to do so (pre-wiring), but im not sure if it needs anything extra also to make it work. Any input would be much appriciated.

Thanks,
    Sam.
  • I think you need some kind of transmitter kit. I'd call the BMW parts department on this one.
  • Thanks, will do.

-Sam.
  • Hi, My cars windshield washer liquid seems to leak away overnight and i see windshield washer low light when i start my car. however there always stays some inside the tank which i am able to use.

My question is: could this be only due to cracked washer reservior or there could also be some bad sensor/pump causing it?

I used some after market windshield washer liquid that i bought from local auto shop.. i burnt my hands already by using some local coolant (non-bmw) which damaged my bmw's expansion tank (costed me $230).

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam.
  • Usually the reservoir cracks at the seam, but sometimes the pump seal can leak as well.
  • I am thinking of buying plastic tank fix solution, will I be able to use it to fix it. If so, what should be my approach.

Thanks,
    Sam.
  • You know, I'd price a new one first. If it's like $30 bucks, do that. I've tried to patch these things and it never seems to last.

But if it's really pricey, you might try something like JB Weld, a two-part epoxy.
  • Thanks for the reply, i would'nt mind buying a new part, but i could not find it online, do u know of any source where i would be able to get it for the best possible price?

Thanks,
    Sam.
  • tell me again year, model.
    I assume you are talking about an E46 325i (MY2001-2005), but I guess your 325i could be a low mileage E36 too (MY1992-1995).

Oh well, Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com) has reservoirs for both cars. E36 part# 61 66 8 370 834:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CB33&mospid=47498&btnr=61_0070&hg=- 61&fg=45&hl=12

The E46 part# 61 66 7 007 970:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ET37&mospid=47720&btnr=61_1084&hg=- 61&fg=45&hl=5

See which one you need and enter the part number in Bav Auto's search window (at the upper left part of the screen).
    Didn't mean to steal your thunder shifty... :blush:
  • hey, more power to ya'....thanks!
  • Thanks! i do see the part for my E46.

Thanks once again to you guys!
    Sam.
  • I just bought a 2007 328i. Unfortunately it did not come prewired for satellite radio. I already have a sirius replay that I would like to use in the car if I can do it without making it look tacky.
    #1. The car is a lease so I can't do anything that could potentially damage it.
    #2: I live in California and it is illegal to drive with anything mounted to the windshield (they give you a windshield mount with the radio)
    Has anybody put in an aftermarket portable satellite and if so, where/how did you mount it?
This discussion has been closed.