Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Colt

2»

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Could you describe this 2x4 tranny? Never heard of it and am curious on how it operated.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Essentially a four speed transmission that would operate in either power or economy mode with another lever. If you shifted through the first four gears in power and then shoved the economy lever down you'd get the equivilent of a 5 speed. Of course the additional lever also meant that you had a power and economy reverse as well.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    So this was a manual tranny that basically had 8 different gear ratios? How was this economy and power mode difference accomplished?
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    that affected the other four. Actually using all eight gears would have been a bear because you'd be rowing both levers in sequence. First, power; first economy; second power; second economy, etc. Who would want to screw around with that, and to what end?

By pulling the lever in fourth you got the equivilent of an overdrive. If it had been a real good idea it would have probably caught on. As it was it was just kind of a clumsy five speed. I usually just kept mine in economy mode. I don't remember a huge difference in output between the two. It was the equivilent of an eight speed forward, two backward transmission, however.
  • I had two of 'em. They were absolutely superior cars! Thanks Mitsubishi! One was a 1984 four door sedan/hatch that was a lease return car - automatic. This was a winter commuting car for me. It sat outside. It always started. It was reliable. Second Colt was a newly purchased 1989 two door hatchback (mini-wagon really) manual midline ("Colt E" I think). Also absolutely reliable plus well put together, very useful and fun. Very well designed. Great mileage. A truly good running car. Never any problem of any type. Absolutely superior car with great warranty - a bargain. In 1998 bought a used 1990 Eagle equivalent of Mitsu/Colt as a commuter car for high school kid. Car has also been reliable. It (& driver) now away at college, still giving reliable service. These were great cars!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    who swore by his, I think it was about an '87? I know it went over 200K miles for him - his dad did the work on it, and precious little at that!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Thought I would pass this on. My 89 Colt has about 110,000 mile on it. The battery was being drained for no obvious reason and after a few days of inactivity, it would be dead as a doornail. Brought the car to at least 3 local mechanics, and none could find what was draining the battery. Finally, the last mechanic I tryed told me that it was the alarm (some cheap thing that came with the car that I've never used for fear of forgeting to disarm it and making a lot of unnecessary noise). Looks like he hit the nail on the head and the old Colt is going strong once again! Too bad he charged me so much to troubleshoot the problem, but I guess one gets what one pays for.
  • I have a 1989 Plymouth Colt E 5-speed manual with 152000 miles and still works well. It has full power and speed. At its height, it would get over 40 mpg. Now that is closer to 34, but still better than 99% of new cars out there. The styling is great too. When you compare it to similar models of hatchbacks like ford festive, geo metro, or honda civic, the Colt is much bigger and has a lot more cargo room in the back. I wish that I could buy all of the parts new from a Chrystler dealer and build a new one here in 2003, although that would probably cost about $20000. Nice dream anyway!

• rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Posts: 154
    Hi. I have a bottom-of-the-line '89 Colt hatch. It's so
    bottom-of-the-line, that it lacks a day-night rear view mirror, has five speeds indicated on the shifter (but only has 4). No cigarette lighter installed.

The seats are starting to tear a bit. The dash is very brittle (a rather large piece that surrounds the emergency blinker button broke off when I was wiping it clean...but the blinker still works). The plastic covering that is behind and outside of the door broke off (I wish I could get another one, but fear that they are hard to find). Eats no oil. Body still in great shape. Still great mileage (I think...haven't really checked in a while).

I agree that the design is first rate with plenty of room.
2»
This discussion has been closed.