Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• Options
    jmscpajmscpa Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a new 2005 Accord as my daily driver to replace my 1995 Prelude SE which has 215,000 miles on it. This is my 4th Honda and the first car I've ever purchased with an automatic transmission. I've always purchased sticks but I recently moved and now face urban commuter traffic which made me decide to try an automatic. I'm going to hang onto the Prelude to satisfy my desire for shift manually.

Before the Prelude I had an 87 Accord that I put 265,000 miles on. I'm hoping for similar mileage durability from the new 2005.
  • Options
    sonofgmsonofgm Member Posts: 11
    I bought our first Honda yesterday! Graphite Pearl EX 6cyl with leather. Truly a beautiful car. Handles great. The wife will drive it the next two weeks until I go back to work after the holidays (my commute is must longer).

I test drove a Pontiac G6 since I get all the GM employee benefits from my father, but the Honda blew it out of the water. The Honda Seemed like it had much more quality feel to it and it was just $500 more than the G6 GT.

I get free oil changes and tires for life if I use their maintenance department. I expensive is the dealer service programs?
  • Options
    market525market525 Member Posts: 27
    myers5 - concerning your pulling problem - you stated that you have aligned it twice. Has anyone rotated the tires? If not, rotate the front tires to the rear & vice versa. I've had this situation recently on a 01 Accord. The tires were almost new, and I had aligned it. Rotating as I described above completely solved the problem.
  • Options
    whampa65whampa65 Member Posts: 36
    I bought this car three weeks ago and I must say it's the nicest car I've ever owned and believe me I've owned alot in my 40 years. This car has quality written all over it and I really can't see a weakness with this car. I feel like I'm driving a luxury car ever time I get behind the wheel. The interior is absolutely beautiful with the most comfortable seats I've ever had the priviledge of sitting in. The leather is awesome with a quality feel and the XM radio is great. The stereo sounds fantastic and the ride is fantastic. Kudos to Honda for building such a great car.
  • Options
    actnaccordnlyactnaccordnly Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Honda Accord EX. Bought the car in March of 2004 with 65K and I now have 105K. I drive alot. Bought it basic EX. Added factory fogs, tints, rain guards, half mask bra, rear spoiler, Satellite radio , wood grain dash kit and new Yokohama 205 60 15's.

Green with tan interior
  • Options
    My first advice: Don't buy one. I own a 2001 and an Acura too, same year, and had transmission problems and others. If you still are, the extra money for the 4 is not worth it.
  • Options
    slowman2slowman2 Member Posts: 1
    I have 01 Acoord EX v6 with about 56,000 miles. The dealer told me to do a maintenance.I have had this car for about 4 years wihtout problems. i did one or two maintenance, and skipped one (not sure). I like the dealer service, but too expensive. My questioin is: should i follow the schedules on the Manual and do the maintenace at dealer, or follow the manual's schedule and do it at other autoshops? or just change the oil without maintenance? where do you have oil change after warranty?

I appreciate any info!

Thank you
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    slowman2:

If you want to protect your life, and the life of your vehicle, you should (at a minimum) follow ALL of the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedules published in your Owners Manual. Just be sure to keep records of the dates and mileages of each service and where it was performed. Keep all receipts in case you need them in the future. It is not necessary for you to have the work done at a Honda dealership. Any independent shop that you know does quality work should be fine.
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Black, fog lights, rear wing, roof rack, two bike racks, window tinting, wheel locks , spalsh guards, premium floor mats.

Borla Cat-back exhaust ( part no. 140080)
    K & N Air Filter.

Question: Air conditioner works fine in non-dual mode. Seems not to react as fast or not at all if it is dual mode and there is any substantial diference in the two temperature settings.

Sure would like to have had the Canadian heated outside mirrors. Does anyone know if they can be ordered and installed on a US Honda Accord. Lots of morning fog in Houston.

I am getting great mileage my first two tanks of gas 23.6, 25.0 Mostly highway at 75-80 mph.

Thanks,

MidCow
  • Options
    djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi everyone! ----------- I just purchased a 2003 4 door LX Accord that was in storage for two years, for less than $16,000.00. At the present time, the vehicle is being serviced by my mechanic, after which, I am going to have it completely cleaned and detailed. This was a once in a life time deal, and I could not pass it up. My primary car is a 2002 Yellow Ford Mustang / 8 cylinder / 5 speed. Because I live in a condo off the Hudson River, I have secure parking for my new addition to my stable of vehicles. My knowledge of vehicle maintenance is zero, but I love to read about new cars, talk to people about cars and visit new car show rooms. My mechanic told me that the Accord only had 1,592 miles. I can't wait to pick it up at the end of the week, and take it out for a long ride on the Palisade Interstate Parkway. I will probably take a friend, and have dinner at one of those quaint little restaurants along the Hudson. I am so happy that I have discovered this automotive site, and the great people who post on these boards. Because I know nothing about cars, I will be asking many questions. Please be patient with me. ----- Best regards. -------- Dwayne
  • Options
    lilduke99lilduke99 Member Posts: 23
    Hi everyone!

Just purchased a new ' 05 EX-V6 w/out Navi on Saturday and picked it up Monday. I previously had Fords which were decent cars but Ford's "Quality Services" was less than quality. I do have to say though, this car is far better than I could have ever imagined. The ride is smooth, the acceleration is great (especially on the expressway), the handling is awesome on winding roads and tight expressway ramps - I love this car!!! The interior is really sporty and reminds me of the interior of the Acura TL I test drove as well. My interior is gray leather with black/gray/gunmetal trim.

I ordered two-toned sill plates w/ the "Accord" logo on all 4 from a guy in Hong Kong off of EBay yesterday, and I am going to pick up the All-Season Floor Mats today. It looks like I will be getting the back windows tinted on Sunday as well (It'll look awesome with the Graphite Pearl Exterior). Does anyone know if there is a protectant you can put on the hood to protect from chips - kind of like the clear film protectant you can buy from Weathertech to put on the lights? I looked at the bug deflector, but I'm not a big fan of how they look on the car. Later this year I'm adding a remote start, but I'm looking to find one where you don't need the extra fob. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm in the Chicago area.

Thanks,

lilduke99 :blush:
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
  • Options
    lilduke99:

Congratulations on your new wheels. You will love your Accord.

I'm concerned about your statement "I ordered two-toned sill plates w/ the "Accord" logo on all 4 from a guy in Hong Kong off of EBay yesterday". Are you sure that those plates will fit your vehicle? You should realize that Accords sold for use in Japan or Europe are different vehicles than US specification Accords that we drive. Theirs are like the smaller Acura TSX sold here. I don't know whether the Accords sold in Hong Kong are the larger or smaller vehicles, but I suspect that they are the smaller ones that the TSX is based on.
  • Options
    lilduke99lilduke99 Member Posts: 23
    Yep, I got them yesterday but have not put them on yet. They will fit fine!!! :shades:
  • Options
    charles42charles42 Member Posts: 3
    I have a problem with my 92 Honda accord. I runs fine while idling no miss and run smooth. However, when I'm driving it sputters sometimes as if there's a fuel or firing problem. It will sputter for a second or and picks up like nothing is wrong. It's confusing because I have replace: Spark plugs, PCV, plug wires, dist cap, dist rotor, fuel filter and air filter.

Any more ideas? Can the following items cause this: fuel pump, injectors resister, injectors, pressure regulator, distributor, coil dist module?
    :(
  • Options
    whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    I hope you post your message to the right board. There are plenty of people who will offer help at Problems and Solutions. {:<)]
  • Options
    elder3elder3 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    buckleybuckley Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Accord Ex-VL, does anyone have any advice on how to install a sirius satellite radio?
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You could try the Accord: Accessories topic, but you may find more info in XM & Sirius Satellite Radio
  • Options
    People on the Accord forums that have satellite radio LOVE XM, as do I.
  • Options
    srobaksrobak Member Posts: 96
    Yep. Since Chicagoland killed it's last remaining 80's station a few months back, now I can just tune in to the 80s channel on xm and be a happy guy :D
  • Options
    Blane said : "People on the Accord forums that have satellite radio LOVE XM, as do I. "

Well not all, I don't listen to XM at all, let the trial period lapse.

NPR, Talk shows, News, weather , traffic conditions .. much , much better for the mind :)

YLPMV*,

MidCow

YLPMV*= Your Listening pleasure May Vary
  • Options
    I guess you didn't bother to look through the channel lineup, eh? All those are in there too, and with wider variety. And when your mind just needs to relax and unwind from the day - you can flip on the 80s station, or blues, or latin jazz - whatever suits you. Great stuff.
  • Options
    Midcow:

You wrote that you listen to "NPR, Talk shows, News, weather , traffic conditions..". Well, in addition to XM's incredible variety of music, check the following XM channels that carry just what you are interested in when listening in your Accord:

Channel Programming

121 Fox News
    122 CNN
    123 CNN Headline News
    124 ABC News & Talk
    125 The Weather Channel
    127 CNBC
    129 Bloomberg News
    130 MSNBC
    131 BBC World Service
    132 C-SPAN Radio
    133 XM Public Radio (lots of NPR programming)
    150 XM Comedy
    151 Laugh USA
    161 Discovery Radio
    162 E! Entertainment Radio
    163 Sonic Theater
    164 Radio Classics
    165 Ask
    166 America Right
    167 Air America Radio
    169 The Power
    170 Family Talk
    171 Open Road
    202 High Voltage
    210 Boston Instant Traffic & Weather
    211 New York Instant Traffic & Weather
    212 Philadelphia Instant Traffic & Weather
    213 Baltimore Instant Traffic & Weather
    214 Washington Instant Traffic & Weather
    215 Pittsburgh Instant Traffic & Weather
    216 Detroit Instant Traffic & Weather
    217 Chicago Instant Traffic & Weather
    218 St. Louis Instant Traffic & Weather
    219 Minneapolis/St. Paul Instant Traffic & Weather
    220 Seattle Instant Traffic & Weather
    221 SanFrancisco Instant Traffic & Weather
    222 Los Angeles Instant Traffic & Weather
    223 San Diego Instant Traffic & Weather
    224 Phoenix Instant Traffic & Weather
    225 Dallas/Fort Worth Instant Traffic & Weather
    226 Houston Instant Traffic & Weather
    227 Atlanta Instant Traffic & Weather
    228 Tampa Instant Traffic & Weather
    229 Orlando Instant Traffic & Weather
    230 Miami/Fort Lauderdale Instant Traffic & Weather
  • Options
    nnbbnnbb Member Posts: 2
    I just got a used Honda 96 Accord. It runs pretty well. But last night all of a sudden, it couldn't ignite. No clicking, no start, nothing. I have totally no idea about auto and Accord...If anyone happens to know about, could you please let me know? Many thanks! My email nnbbqq@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Did you leave the dome light on? Parking lights? Number one to check is the battery. Just because you can turn on lights and radio doesn't mean it has enough juice. Have the battery tested. Check your fuses - there are specific ones for ignition and starter. After that - have the starter checked.
  • Options
    dbulindbulin Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I have a Honda Certified Used 98 Accord sedan. It has been an expensive pain.
  • Options
    paul_phillypaul_philly Member Posts: 16
    My friend just bought an 05 Accord EX with Navi & XM. I own an 04 TL with Navi. Although the Navi systems seem very similar, I was wondering if the Accord's was made by Alpine, like the Acura's. Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know what company manufactures the stereo that's in the Accord (Panasonic handles the TL stereo and Bose does the RL).

Thanks.
  • Options
    rcc8179rcc8179 Member Posts: 131
    The stereo in the Accord is also made by Alpine. A friend of my uncle worked for Alpine for years, and I remember him saying a couple years ago that Alpine made the stereos for the (then new) Accord.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...read with interest your extensive XM Channel Programming post. Thanks.

..even tho' my small village (actually the state capital) 'Instant Traffic & Wx' is conspicuous in its' absence........after the 3-month trial period, I just may pony up the monthly fee ($10) for continuing the XM feature...........

all the best............ez
  • Options
    klandryklandry Member Posts: 3
    Hi Karen,

I've got a 96 Accord - Dark Green - ~110k miles (V6). Have had very minimal trouble. I'll be posting a message soon about my ongoing "dancing tachometer" problem. That's my main reason for joinging, plus, since I'm now over 100k - maybe I'll be able to glean more maintenance tips.
  • Options
    baltoboy9baltoboy9 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up an Accord EX V6 w/ XM. I'm a little disappointed that I can only program 12 presets into the XM-1 and XM-2 settings. Any ideas? Is the only way to surf XM to abandon the steering wheel controls and go to the manual in-dash tuning adjustment?
  • Options
    baltoboy9,

If your Accord has the Navigation System, all radio channel or station selection may be made with voice commands in addition to using dash/screen tuning. I just press the voice button on the steering wheel and say something like "XM channel one hundred fifty one" or " radio ninety three point nine FM" and the system automatically follows my voice command without my hands leaving the steering wheel or my eyes leaving the road.

No station presets are required, though you can have them for scanning or use of the touch screen. Therefore there are no limitations such as you've described. Do you have the Navigation system?

Enjoy your great new Accord.
  • Options
    oileboidoileboid Member Posts: 3
    Just stumbled onto this group and I hope to help as many as I can and maybe, just maybe I will learn some things too! I have been a Honda Parts Manager, Service manager and now I own a Honda repair shop. I've known Hondas since 1974 and my shop has been in business for 16 years. I have the best Honda and Acura technicians in the U.S. and if we can't figure it out then good luck to those less experienced. I don't want to sound concieted but we love to fix 'em and make people happy.
  • Options
    ...nice to have a professional "wrench" to lend a savvy opinion or two....

...any comments (a new Accord EX V-6 6MT Coupe is in my driveway) on the reliability aspect of the newer Honda vehicles?

How do you feel about the HC EW? Think it's worth it?

all the best, ez
  • Options
    adylingadyling Member Posts: 1
    Sox_in_04,

It was interesting reading about your oil problem with your '99 Accord. I'm currently experiencing a very similar problem with mine (at 85K), though I've had an oil change and the problem persists...oil is disappearing at about the same rate you alluded to, though there are no signs of leakage and I don't find myself driving around in a cloud of smoke (to indicate the valve seals may be shot). Just curious...did you use a special blend of oil for your change (i.e., synthetic, etc.)? Thanks.

Al
  • Options
    klandryklandry Member Posts: 3
    Hello oileboid,

I posted this a few weeks ago - hardly have time to learn to navigate this site. But I couldn't find anyone who responded to my post - saw your nice greeting so I'm seeing if you can field this one...

About 2 years ago while driving with my family - all of a sudden both the tachometer & speedometer started expressing themselves by bouncing sporadically all over the place. It didn't affect the drive at all. Parked at our destination. A few hours later - battery dead. Honda auto-dealership put a new alternator in and it seemed to fix the problem.

But ever since that episode, mostly on hwy driving over 1 hour, the tachometer (only) will jump all over the place. Sometimes with no measureable effect on driving, but on 3 occasions the dancing tachometer has spurned a "pulsating' engine feel. I've still got power and am able to drive ok, but there is a pusling of minor loss of power. It nearly gave my wife an ulcer on our anniversary down in Monterey CA. I've taken it to a shop (not the original dealership) that claimed he knew the problem existed within the distributor cap. I paid him $90.00 to do whatever it is he did. Great. 2 weeks later - dancing again - very sporadically. I've only experienced it once since.

So now it's almost like an anxiety attack - the fear of the fear of the event maybe happening. Will this little 'hard to diagnose' problem cause a major breakdown soon? The honda dealership's advice was..."well, when it happens next time, just bring 'er in and we'll have a tech go on a drive with you so they can experience it."

My mechanic who tried to fix said he'd checked in with this Honda experts, but hadn't got any word back yet. And still haven't heard squat from him - he happens to have the customer service skills of a drugged sloth. So - this being my very first post...and yes, long I know - any help out there...? I'd love to be able to go to this mechanic with some actual info to help fix this occasional 'ghost in the machine' glitch.
  • Options
    ......'drugged sloth'........that is quite graphic actually.................

...nice to see verbal skills emerging here.........

best, ez
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    May be they should have replaced the distributor, not just the cap.
  • Options
    pradprad Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2005 Accord LX last week. Today, I am seeing the Passenger Airbag OFF light glowing even after I was driving for 10-15 minutes. Any ideas?? before I call the dealer tomorrow...
  • Options
    Did you have something lightweight in the passenger seat ?
  • Options
    scatsscats Member Posts: 11
    hi everyone my name is scats have a 2005 honda accord ex v6 nav love it except for the road noise
  • Options
    Scats

A lot of Honda road noise is due to tires. If is really, really bothers you you can change to quieter tires and significantly reduce the noise. Enjoy your car.

MidCow
  • Options
    scatsscats Member Posts: 11
    thanks midnight cowboy taking the car from ny to california this saturday 1st time using the nav take care
  • Options
    d4ld4l Member Posts: 7
    Hello everyone,

Just purchased mine, will be picking it up today. I wanted to check in and ask how should I drive the new car, since this is my first car ever. Would appreciate any tips that you guys may have, specifically maintenance or how to drive it initially. I am in NJ and was able to get it for 19k OTD, which I think is pretty decent deal.

thanks for the help.
  • Options
    New Hondas are great. You just drive easy for the first 600 miles. Try not to use cruise control or keep it a the same speed continously; vary your speed.

Be easy on the brakes the first 200 miles.

Perform you oil change as recommended by Honda, around 5,000 miles; don't change early!

Other information is in your owners manual.

Enjoy you new car,

MidCow
  • Options
    capt41470capt41470 Member Posts: 38
    Hi guys

I'm looking to get an 06 accord V6. I understand that they are front wheel drive cars. My question is how do they drive in the rain or snow. I've own a blazer for 10 years now and have had the luxury of having a 4x4. So I was just wonder if u guys can share your thoughts and experiences of driving your accord in bad weather. Thanks
    Kevin
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I live in Wisconsin (and we do get alot of snow), and I have a 60 mi round trip to work. I've been driving front wheel drive cars for the 26 years that I have made the drive, and I can say I have yet to get stuck in the snow. Obvioiusly a front wheel drive won't do well off roading, but for on the road driving in snow and/or rain you will be very pleased. The only problem I saw with a friends front wheel drive econo-box car was it was a little on the light side, and tended to feel a little skiddish in the snow. She ended up having to add a few sand bags on the floor in the back seat to add a little weight, but like I said it was a lightweight car, alot lighter then what Honda currently offers.

I'll admit I do enjoy passing up 4x4 vehicles that end up in the ditch during a heavy snowstorm, not that my car can go through the snow better, its just some 4x4 drivers here in WI seem to think they can go as fast as they want, and because of that, they push it too much and get themselves in trouble. OK, I got a little off the subject, and I'm sure you don't overdue it in your 4x4, I just had to vent a little.

Mrbill
  • Options
    Accord V6's have traction control, an advantage on snow, ice and rain.
  • Options
    drivehappydrivehappy Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just purchased a 94 5sp sedan. 128000k and really clean. Very happy to be finally driving a Honda. What took me so long? I'll read through some discussions before asking my questions.
This discussion has been closed.