Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Ummmm yes!!! We almost got the same pricing. ;-)

Any mods you plan to do in the near future?
  • Your very welcome! I must say if I didn't like the Sport trim I would've been happy with the price quote you received for the EX-L... Kinda jealous! Haha
  • I have to laugh because I don't know what you mean by sports trim. I know that sounds stupid. (My husband drove MY new Accord home.)

It's leather, has the adjustable seats, steering wheel, heated seats...What exactly does sports trim include.

I just liked the car. It was that simple.

I tried driving a hybrid Camry and it felt and looked like driving a refrigerator. That was my only research.

Honestly, what exactly is meant by sports trim. Just Googled it, and I'm not too clear.

Still sincerely, you really made my day! Am so happy with the white pearl color, the leather, and it's so much roomier than my old Accord.

Bought NO extra warranties. Considered the 'wheel' one, because I've had an incident or two, but love the beep beep beep when you get too close to 'something'.

I should have done this BEFORE buying, but was just 'ready',

BTW, dealership gives 5 days to return the car if you feel you made a mistake or didn't get a good price, etc...Thought that was cool!

Thanks again Sparkndutch!
  • Haha pretty much my Sport is like 2 trim levels below yours. Goes like this:
    LX
    Sport
    EX
    EX-L
    EX-L w/Navi
    EX-L V6
    EX-L V6 w/Navi
    Touring

I like the EX-L a lot, but got a great deal for my Sport and couldn't turn it down. It was pretty low that I'm sure the General Managers were hating me for such a disgusting deal lol
    Congrats on your new Accord btw! Glad to hear I was one of many new owners this week alone!
  • So tell me about the benefits of sport trim! I'd love to know. So you got a 2013 sport accord with what that you love and for how much? I'ld enjoy hearing. Btw, my husband said to me tonight, 'Do you want to sit in your new car?'

I laughed. No, I don't.
  • sparkndutchsparkndutch Posts: 31
    edited September 2013
    What I love about my Accord Sport is comes with fog lights, rear lip spoiler, 18 inch sports wheels, dual chrome exhaust, sport fabric seats, red interior sport lights also a little bit faster engine compare to the regular 4cyl engine. Compare to your EX-L, mine doesn't have leather, push button start, dual screens (mine only has 1), LaneWatch, Sunroof, LED brake lights, upgraded sound system and a few other things I'm sure I forgot to mention. Which all above is nice to have but it's my first financed vehicle (25 yrs old college student) and wanted to stay under $26k, I was able to purchase the vehicle 22k out the door + 1.5k for extended 7yrs/100,000 mile warranty.
  • Great message. All the things you need and like are the the things I'm no longer wanting. Cool. Good on you for getting what you want.

What did you pay for that warranty?

My father was a judge and a lawyer. Very wise. He had a saying. "Insurance is betting against yourself' That never left me. So I never buy ANY extended warranty.

I LOVE leather in a car. Important to me. Will miss my V6 on the interstate but the 2013 Accord 'feels' big and fairly heavy. Not BMW, Mercedes heavy, but it's worthy. NOT like a toyota.

Back to your warranty....What did that cost you?
  • Bought it for $1,500.00. I do plan to keep this car for 10+ years.
    I dont think it's too heavy, I have about 150 miles now and 100 of them were freeway driving and I was happy to be speeding and zipping my way around other cars. Nice to have no plates as people stare and admire my car haha
  • Thanks for reply. No, I'm in Ga. Haven't bought yet but this week is my goal to buy if I get what I want at right price. I like your idea about accessories! What did you get added? What kind of deal did you get on extended warr? I have been driving my 03 accord for 10 years. I love my car. It's got nearly 200k on it and its going to my teen. This dealer has been the only one that has been great to work with.
  • Also...idk if retired military counts. Think only active duty .
  • My extended warranty saga has come to end. Quick recap from previous posts. Sharing so someone doesn't make the same mistake.

I purchased the 2013, EX-L, 4cyl and paid $985 (down from $1770! )for 7yr/80k/$100 ded. Asked the F&I guy specifically, "I have up to 6k miles to make a decision to get the new warranty". He said no. I purchased it based on that info.

Days later realized I could have purchased it for much cheaper ($570) at http://hyannishondacare.com/plans.php Problem was I lost on that low price because I had already purchased the warranty If I wanted to purchase from Hyannis I had to pay $165 extra since it was not the first warranty purchase (this is a honda rule).

So I knew I was going to cancel with the original dealer.

Saw the F&I guy yesterday, he knew I was coming in to cancel because it was too expensive. First thing he says is "$985 is too much?" like somehow he gave me some super great deal. I take out my internet quote. But I also said, the price is one thing, but really what I'm upset about is that I asked specifically about having 6k miles to purchase the warranty as a "New warranty" and he said No...and that misinformation made me buy it. He thanked me for schooling him as he did not know that. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and said everyone mispeaks, I just made a decision based on that.

So he ended up matching the internet price. I said ok, but I was still upset at being misled. I asked for some free accessories but got 2 oil changes. So net, I paid less than $500 for the warranty.

I told him we are all good. They will get 5's on the survey And I can still recommend them.

Lessons learned:

1. Know BEFORE you buy (price of car, warranty, if you even want the warranty..lots of posts about pros and cons, etc)

2. If you overpaid for the warranty, there are some things you can do to mitigate the financial mistake

3 I can be bought for free oil changes
  • Sparkndutch - I hate to tell you this, but you overpaid for your extended warranty. $1500 is high.

See my post #31109 for what happened to me and what I did to recover from my mistake of overpaying for the warranty.
  • Oh nice! The accessories I got was called "pro pack" splash guards, wheels locks, trunk (rubber) tray, door edge film (has a small clear film on all door edges and trunk to prevent from scratches). It was already added on my 2013 Accord Sports and I negotiated to give me at least 50% off total price. Which they did =)

I must say I really like the trunk tray. Went to the store bought a few items, placed them in the trunk and nothing was moving around and was afraid the pizza I bought was going to spill greasy oil all over the place and was nicely secured in its corner. (Was by myself and didn't want the interior to smell of food)

The Splash Guards (all 4 were installed) was something I was never considering adding but let me tell you... I'm so freaking glad it came with it! Washed and waxed my car yesterday and noticed that the guards had some nasty little rocks and dirt and I was surprised since I've only driven 155 miles now and 100 of them were freeway here in Los Angeles, was easy to wash off and good thing the rocks/dirt didn't do any damage to my paint, so this is a must get it!

The wheels locks are pretty self explained and the film is a neat thing incase I ever hit the door with any object but I'm usually careful when opening my doors but have had times I have ding something and would freak out if scratched my door on my civic lol (which is my daily drive with 202,500 miles)
  • I just read it, oh well! I'm so happy with my car that I'm ok with it. Guess I will know the next time, thanks though!
    edited September 2013
    Yes, if you are within 6 months of your separation, you qualify. Just need to show them a copy of your last LES and Retired Military ID. The catch is, you must ONLY qualify through Honda Financial Services. Trust me, they were giving me a outstanding discount on the car as a recent Marine Corps Veteran but weren't able to offer me the additional $500 w/o financing through Honda (I asked to read the fine print and I understood), which I ended up doing anyways since my bank was being a pain in the butt. Hehe
  • I was charged 600 bucks for security system and 1400 bucks for 7/100K warranty. Is security charge is fare or its comes with it?
    edited September 2013
    lol what??? No that's silly, it should already have security alarm unless its an add on that the dealer added on. If its an add on, have them remove it. You'll save $600!! =)

Oh wait you already purchased it right? =(
  • gotojanoogotojanoo Posts: 9
    edited September 2013
    They says its package that they offer security( Karr or something) and 1400 for warranty.Yes I did purchased it
    edited September 2013
    I think they were trying to sell me that but I declined and had them remove it, the regular security system was adequate.
  • Michael, I think it is important to clarify. People make use of this forum to help get the best price and understanding the concept of pricing is imperative. When I was a grad assistant I taught introductory accounting so please let me provide the following example to the viewers of this forum.

Joe and Jim are brothers living together in Manhattan. They each want their own 2014 Honda Accord and they decide to have a contest on who can get the best deal for the car which happens to have an invoice price including destination of $25,000, the loser has to do the dishes for a month. They have friends all throughout the U.S. and they tell their friends if they pick up the car for them and drive it to Manhattan and pay for the gas, they can stay for free in their spare bedroom while in NY. Meanwhile, their mother is so happy they decided on a dependable Accord, she says she will pay the sales tax and TTL. Therefore, the only thing that matters is what they pay the dealer. They set a 5:00 deadline to find and negotiate their deals.

Joe finds a deal for $1,000 under invoice. Jim finds one for $575 under invoice. They both post the results in the Prices Paid forum at 5:01 pm.
    A minute late, Joe sees a post by fxguy congratulating him on getting $1,000 under invoice on a 2014. After all, he recently congratulated someone for getting $700+ off. No one congratulates Jim.

Someone then posts that they would like to see all the details of the deals. Joe posts that he is paying $24,000 for the car and has a doc fee of $800. Jim posts that he is paying $24,425 for the car but his doc fee is only $75. After seeing that Jim paid the dealer $500 under invoice, Brian writes a congratulatory post to Jim on getting $500 under invoice on a 2014 at this time of year.

Would you rather pay the dealer $24,800 ($24,000 + $800) and get an attaboy from fxguy or pay $24,500 ($24,425 + $75) and get an attaboy from Brian?

Bottom line:

X(sales price) + Y(doc fees) = Z(Cash Paid).
    You want to minimize Z, that’s the only objective. Assuming the dealers are selling similar numbers of cars, their price to acquire the car is the same and they can afford to sell the cars at the same price. Why should a dealer in a state with typically higher doc fees deserve to make more when selling a car?

If I was a dealer, I would prefer to be in a high doc fee location. Why? Because I can always lower the sales price to make a deal with a savvy buyer who is shopping based on total paid to the dealer while for those like fxguy, I can make a deal on what looks like a good price on the car and then collect an additional large doc fee for additional profit.

Actually, I bet fxguy is a smart guy and that over the years fxguy has been negotiating based on total price but has done a poor job articulating what he is actually doing.
  • Ok awesome advice. Thank you. Only things bothering me about this car is leather. It does not seem any where as nice as my 2003 v6 accord which still looks great with 196k miles.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 930
    Most reviews mention that the leather is a lot nicer than the previous generation but I don't know about the '03 leather quality. The 2013 is nicer than my '01 Nissan Maxima, which I also really liked. It didn't have perforated leather seats.
  • Ok. Noted. Thanks.
  • fxguyfxguy Posts: 132
    I tried to stop talking about this doc fee issue. I even went as far as not replying to Brian a few days back just to let it go but silly posts like the one you made with my name plastered all over it begs a response. Some of you guys simply jump in a conversation mid way and start replying without going back to get the whole story. For the LAST time on this topic (yes, i know i said that before), here is what i was trying to explain to the first guy who challenged bluemkn57 on Invoice pricing:

1. On EVERY car buying forum i have been on, Invoice price has always been what the dealer pays the manufacturer PLUS destination. Look at the main Edmunds page (Not the forum). Research a car and at the end they list invoice price as what dealer is known to pay the manufacturer for the car PLUS destination fees. This is the same on Truecar, carsdirect and most all other sites. Doc fees are not listed at this stage. That right there IS ALL i was saying. When talking about invoice price ON THE FORUMS, FOR THE SAKE OF CONSISTENCY, leave it at what dealer pays plus destination fees. That's it. Nothing more implied than that!

2. On post 31061, i clearly state that OTD is what matters the most. Matter of fact here is a direct quote: "However, you can and MUST consider Doc fees when talking about OTD prices. "

I am not a "newbie" when it comes to buying cars. In over 20 years of doing this, only a hand full of times did i find a dealer willing to budge on Doc fees. How do you make them eat some of that fee? Well, in my experience, you have 2 choices: (a) Ask them to reduce the selling price of the car by the same amount. Most dealers will resist this and many will let you walk instead of reducing it. (b) Load up on accessories and get them for "free" or at least a reduced price. In my experience, most dealers WILL do this. Therefore, if a dealer does not bend on a $400 Doc fee but you are able to get $300 in accessories for "free", you essentially just paid $100 for their Doc fee.

Please lets move on from this. I buy multiple cars a year based on OTD pricing only. I do my research here and other places and know how much Doc fees are. I know exactly how much i am willing to pay OTD based on all factors i.e invoice, doc fees, etc. However, when i am on a forum talking about how much below invoice i got, i stick to convention and use what the dealer paid PLUS destination to come to that figure. For the 4th or 5th time, i hope this explanation ends this debate. I know Doc fees must be considered when talking about the final OTD price. I just don't agree that a varying rate like Doc fees should be used on the forums when comparing how much under invoice members are getting.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 3,536
    Let's consider the last two posts on this topic the last two posts.

Some people have no choice, based on geography, but to pay higher doc fees.

Don't like it? Buy from a state that caps the fees, work to get the fees capped in your own state or negotiate the price to minimize the hit.

Moving on....

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,432
    edited September 2013
    Huskerfan
    Well said..... as long as fx can secure that same selling price of 24,500 who cares how he arrived at that price. His system may work very well but seems alot more work getting that final OTD number instead of lowest selling price first, with doc fees already in the mix.. I find and this is just me buying like that leaves dealerships to many openings for game playing and to time consuming for me. This is what makes these forums like no others. Use what works best for you that helps you obtain the lowest price possible.

OTD pricing is doc fees, your states dmv, and taxes, NY/NJ has a small state tire recycle fee of 7. 50 and 10.00
    Once i agree on price with any dealership with doc fees accounted for in my price.

This is my next question to dealers on the phone

Outside of your doc's, dmv, and taxes do you have any other chargers? Deal is now complete.

Fxguy wants to move on not realizing his posts will help some people in here get a better deal.

FX............. thankyou for sharing. your points are well taken.. There is no right way and wrong way to buy. Use forum tips and advice to your advantage to make the best deal.

Just imagine all the older folks, uneducated buyers in Florida paying that $699 doc fee/ admin charge with out a fight.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• When I bought my new Accord yesterday, I didn't buy any extended warranties.

I'm wondering if I can add a warranty tomorrow? They offered a 200.00 warranty for (think 5 years?) for any damage I might do to a wheel. (I tend to scrape them on curbs.) Does anyone know?

All the discussion on doc fees? Doc fees are standard, I don't think the dealer is making a dime on this, so what's the concern?

I paid 699.00 as a dealer fee, that seems hefty, but the Honda dealership I've now bought two Accords from has a set price (like CarMax) and they don't negotiate.

Learned that I good deal with the EX-L 4 cylinder with leather at 26,882.00, so I'm pleased.

Also, I HAVE 5 DAYS TO RETURN THE CAR! Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I asked why and they said some people have 'buyers remorse' or think they can find a better deal etc... I think that's amazing. They sold 15 Hondas yesterday by the time we left at 5 p.m.

Any ideas about buying the wheel warranty after the fact?

Thanks everybody, I LOVE my new Accord!
    Kit
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,623
    I would have to read the "wheel warranty" paperwork but it's probably nothing more than an expensive insurance policy.

I would also like to read the fine print on that 5 day return policy. That is way too good to be true. There have to be strings attached.
  • So they charged you a $699 doc fee and you think they didn't make a dime? And you can just return the car after five days and get your money back? You got to be kidding.
    What exactly makes up the $26,882?