Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Good points. This will be a cash purchase. The lowest offer I have now is 21,250. Several walked away after the 21,500 mark. Waiting for OTD pricing.
  • I recently got into a single car accident and need a car asap.
    I'm coming from a 2012 Kia Forte and looking to purchase the Accord Sport.

What should my target OTD price be for the '14 Accord Sedan Sport?
    I'm located in Bergen County, NJ.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,744
    edited October 2013
    You can be as doubtful as you want to be but the truth is, Honda dealers DO NOT know if incentives will continue!

They are NOT put in place to last forever and they end as quickly as they begin.

I watched people outsmart themselves time and time again as they delayed their purchase hoping that incentives would stay in place or even get better!

I warned people here that prices would INCREASE as 2013 inventories got depleted and I knew what I was talking about.

Buying a car doesn't have to be a marathon but I suppose some people enjoy that process.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,754
    edited October 2013
    To all buyers

Once you figure out a high end/ low end target price you are ready to buy.. This should be your window of opportunity with pricing to have all dealerships meet or beat.

Supply and Demand and your area will effect pricing.

Flex cash,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 2013 or 2014 model.. THIS should be your first questioned asked to every dealership you email/ call .

Probably best if you email and call to make a list of several dealerships that offer flex cash and work only with them first on price.

When you are calling or emailing dealers that wont offer flex you let them know dealers--- w,x,y, and z have flex cash so you have to be 500 lower on your price to match or beat them.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• Be patient...end of Nov could be good! But you would have to gamble on flex cash...how long has the flexcash been out there? I thought it was only for '13 yr models...was surprised when they offered it (but had my poker face on)...
  • I'm just starting my search for a 2014 EXL-V6 in the Orange County CA area. Will be buying within a couple days. The best internet price I've got back so far is $27,850 + tax, lic, reg and an $80 doc fee. So in the terms used here on the board, the OTD price on this offer is $27,930, right? This seems decent so far for being their initial offer. $28,200 is the invoice on this model, correct? So they're starting off at about $350 under invoice. Am I missing something? I just want to make sure I'm working off of the right numbers.
  • OTD is the "out the door" price inclusive of tax, tag and title. But yes, if they have the color you want and no surprise add-ons, that isn't a bad price for a 2014.
  • I understand the true OTD includes TTL, but people on here seem to be leaving that off of the "OTD" price they're mentioning since taxes and reg fees are variable depending on location. The consensus also seems to be that 500-1000 below invoice on the 2014 is a good deal, in which case people HAVE to be quoting without TTL because no way they're buying for low enough under invoice that they're including TTL and still walking out at $28k for an EXL-V6.
  • 2014 Model. :)

I read back about a year's worth of posts last weekend, to get ideas about what was going on, both here and on the midsize Sedan 2.0 thread. It has, after all, been 7 years since my last car purchase, and it's not something I regularly follow.

As for color? I fully agree on being happy. I won't, for example, own a black car. I don't want the light silver or the blue or the champagne. But the red, the dark gray, the hermatite (?), and the white? All good. I need to check them all in person side by side to limit my search farther. I guess my problem is more my own indecision, and not really caring all that much. There are 3-4 colors that I think are great from the outside. I need to check out all the interior colors to see if I like all of those in person. If there is one or more that I don't like, that may limit the exterior options too, or if some interior/extrerior combo looks bad to us.

Anyway, thanks. Looks like I'm aiming 500-100 below invoice.

Also, anybody know about their graduate program and when that's offered? Looks like $500 for a graduate in the last two years. My spouse got a master's degree in the past two years, so we'd qualify. I think that would be stated late in the deal. As in, here's our agreed upon price, now, give us the $500 off from Honda financing for a new grad.
    edited October 2013
    When your looking for best prices and dealerships that are selling vehicles cheaper you look for terminology of how much below invoice price..

OTD prices consists of Your state tax , dmv charge , and the dealerships doc fee charge.. This should be confirmed after you secure your lowest selling price. Nobody cares what your OTD price is in Chicago or New York when all taxes and doc fee's differ.. Do you understand why now?/

If i post just bought a Accord exl v-6 for 30 k OTd it tells every one in this forum none of the key things we look for....

1 Selling price
    2- Any accessories added.
    3 Dealerships doc fee charge
    4- Any rebates or incentives applied before taxes.

This is how you tell a good deal or not and how much below invoice you bought for.

• Well said, Brian.
  • Understood. So seeing how the invoice on a 2014 EXL V6 is 28,542 then my starting point of 27,850 is pretty good.
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    I've gotten Internet quotes as low as 274XX on the exl v6 2014. The lowest included flex cash. Others were in that 27.7 to 27.8 range.

To isellhondas.... Not trying to outsmart myself... Just am traveling and tied up and can't stop life to go mess around with the dealers in the next three days. You sound like all the dealers though..... "we never know and honda might stop promotions at any time......" (read: better buy NOW)

Excellent that consumer reports just panned the v6 Accord that I'm looking for. Happy for Honda to have to put more money behind them if others are scared
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,744
    edited October 2013
    " You sound like all the dealers though"

Has it dawned on you that they are actually telling you the (gasp) TRUTH?

Every month we wouldn't know until the last minute and you can't blame Honda. This is a "now" business that is ever changing.

I once learned a painful lesson when as a newbie I foolishly told a customer that I "thought" they would extend a low interest financing deal.

And they didn't. I had a very unhappy customer on my hands.
    edited October 2013
    Everybody's area and region will have different pricing. Observe the high's and low's on pricing and try to use those numbers to your benefit. Take the better pricing from dealerships furthest away from you and try to get local dealerships to beat or match for the sale. This is done by emails and direct calls to every dealerships Internet manager.

Remember just because hogan has recieved lower pricing than you does not mean you will to.

Your high and low target price to buy is your guide. You play the game right til the end of the month looking for that high target price. If you cant get that number you have to re-adjust that number for the sale or wait another month . I live in N.Y I have 5 bordering states in striking distance in a harder market to buy. I use all my means to get lowest price if necessary. People that live where there is limited dealerships and miles between them are at a disadvantage on better pricing.

Perfect Example of that dealership miles away.

I call dealership x which is 100 miles from my home. I ask that manager if he is willing to meet me on my price of xxx i will consider making the long trip out to his dealership....... if i cant get a similar deal closer to me. Dealerships that sell cars will identify you as a quick sale/ a numbers sale and will take your business if you decide to travel. This deal if goes down means that dealership will fax you over the bill of sale both party's sign and a refundable credit card deposit is left til you get to that dealership to pick up vehicle.
    Finding this kind of dealership is the easiest of transactions if your buying.

You buy a vehicle one time like this you will never look at local buying the same when your area pricing is bad.

• bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited October 2013
    Invoice price for the 2014 EX CVT model is $24,288. You had mentioned in an earlier post that you were looking for pricing in the 22k range.

I am not sure you will be able to achieve that, but I would suggest requesting internet quotes from dealerships to gauge the market price in your area. $500 to $1000 below invoice is achievable.

You can read up on Honda's graduate program here: http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/finance/college-grad-program.

The requirements are as follows:
    •5% minimum down payment
    •Verifiable proof of employment or firm commitment from an employer with start date no more than 120 days from date of finance contract
    •Graduated in past two years or will graduate in next four months
    •No adverse credit history
    •Master’s, bachelor’s or associate degree from U.S.-accredited college or registered nursing school
    •Provide Honda dealer with credit and document requirements
  • I own 2007 Honda Accord EX and happy with my purchase.

I did get a test drive of 2013/14 Accord, Altima, Camry Hybrid and non-hybrid, Fusion, Passat. I have to be honest that IMO 2013/14 Altima is by far the best vehicle in family sedan segment. It is the best vehicle for the money you spend....... 2013 redesigned Altima has a lot to offer for the money compare to Accord. Altima is a leader in CVT technology to give you the best overall MPG.

After spending over a month on doing price research for Accord and Altima, I finally purchased Altima. I would have probably spent approx. $3K to $4K more to get the same equipped Accord. If you are considering Altma as an option, feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer them. Without a doubt Accord is a great car and you will be happy to own it.
  • hondacarsflhondacarsfl Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    I noticed in my area some dealers having a left over 2013 inventory, BUT the 2014s are selling better, for just a few hundred more so the 2014s are already being discounted nicely.
    The only difference I noticed is money factors and rates on the 2013 being lower. I am surprised that Honda as a whole is not trying to blow out the complete 2013 at this point with incentives like the Pilot, Ody, etc.
    At this point the 2014, whatever incentive is will get better especially money factor.
  • sg71sg71 Posts: 2
    Purchased two days back 2014 Accord sport model OTD price at $22500 (va sales tax 4%). I don't remember the break down, but this price includes the Price + dest charges + ttl (also this car has $595 appearance package). The sport model is definite upgrade over LX and I love it.
  • which dealer?
  • Thanks! The Altima is the other car on our list. I just may pick your brain.

We need to confirm with Honda if it's possible to get an LX with a power seat. Due to my spouse's degenerating discs, and an unpredictable back, the ability to move the seat to comfort without having to pump by hand is a big deal to us. Yet, we don't want the sport, for the decrease in gas mileage (almost 50 mile round-trip commute). higher gas mileage is high on our list.

We have kept the car we currently have for 13+ years, so longevity is another big part of our decision. While we may not keep a future car for 13 years again, it's nice to think that it may be possible
  • I didn't test drive an Altima....My previous car was a Maxima '04 and I had bad experiences (service issues) with the 2 dealerships in town, and I was not going to deal with them again. I too have back issues and the Honda Accord ExL seats are very comfortable. With Nissans in general (and I have done research...had major issues with motor and switch on driver seat), there are electric issues with their seats...if you decide on Nissan, just don't mess with the seat adjustments any more than necessary thru the years of ownership. I did test drive the 2013 Camry, which is several hundred less than the Accord with lots of incentives to buy...the seats were not comfortable, IMO, so not an option for me at all. Hope you find what works, and yes, electric seats for someone with back issues is a must.
  • capegirl5capegirl5 Posts: 35
    edited October 2013
    I purchased this same model a week ago today! I believe invoice is 28,573.00...I got it for 27,900 and then they offered FLEX $500 if I financed with Honda. So, in my mind, 27,400 was a great deal! Sounds like you are getting a fair price. Ask about the FLEX...
  • I am looking to buy Honda Accord Sedan within next couple of weeks in Bay Area, California (south bay). I have not yet decided EX or EX-L, but should be deciding within next couple of days.

I was checking out prices on TrueCar, and sent out dealer quotes through that last weekend. I got a quote for $23,488 for EX through that. But I haven't responded to that yet, nor have I picked any calls from the dealers yet. I am pretty sure this quote is going to expire soon. But the new TrueCar price for EX shows up as $22,788 right now.

Once I decide which car to buy, what is the best way to go about this purchase process? I would ideally like to buy it asap, but can wait maximum till beginning of Thanksgiving week.
  • colleenarncolleenarn Posts: 3
    edited October 2013
    I went to a dealership here in Sacramento, Ca and was given this vehicle invoice price for a Honda Accord 2014-EX-L 4-cyl
    THEIR best price: This was a COSTCO deal
    dest &hdl chrg - 790.00
    invoice total 26,650.10
    OTD $29,056.61- my tax is 7.5% 1998.75 + 26,650.10 = 28,648.85 so there's another $400 that he doesn't even list as to what fees he's included to come to this $29,056.61. I want to back this up so I know where I should be starting as far as a price and work from there. Nothing else but standard equipment on this vehicle no add-ons.
  • I also had an '02 Maxima and a '91 Sentra before that. When I test drove cars in 2001 I fell in love with the V6 power and luxury of the Maxima, compared to the putt putt Camry and the Accord at the time was just to low to the ground for me. I never had a problem with the seats (I also rarely moved them), but I did find out the hard way that Nissans are more costly to fix than Accords and Camrys. I also had an issue that my mechanic said he only sees on Nissans. I do think the Altima's are very nice cars and it's 12 years later so I'm sure they are even better, but I knew I wasn't going to buy another Nissan and didn't even test drive an Altima. I am banking on the longevity and quality of the Accord to make up for the additional up front investment.

I thought it would be hard to justify spending the extra money on the Accord over the Camry, but I really did not like the 2013 Camry. It just wasn't comfortable for me and the visibility seemed less. But to each their own.

Good luck.
  • If I were you, I would walk away from this deal. You were offered the vehicle at invoice price. At this time of the year, you should be getting at least $500 below invoice on a 2014 model.

Read up on some of my previous posts on how to request internet quotes and negotiate the best deal. You need to ask the dealership for a detailed OTD (Out The Door) price listing the sales price of the car, dealer documentation fees, registration fees and any incentives.

Reach out to more dealerships for pricing. How soon are you thinking of buying a new car?
    Yes I'm not saying they are lying.... I am saying they are using lots of EMPHASIS that would indicate they are saying you need to buy Today because this flex cash goes away on Oct 31. "perhaps you could cancel your business trip and come in today!"

And my point back to them is sure, while you don't officially know that honda will replace the promo money with something similar, from a LOGICAL standpoint why will they just decide that November doesn't require ANY PROMO money?

Fact is I cannot make it to close the deal by the 31st so I am forced to be a gambler on the promo stuff, but my guess is there will be new promo money in November especially since CR just made a news splash and specifically DOWNGRADED the V6. Probably doesn't make everyone andtheir bbrother all of a sudden wake up and decide that they now NEED To get said Accord. Not saying it will derail people who were already decided on it, but I have trouble seeing why November 1 will all of a sudden be an on fire sales period for this model.
    It should be established as a truth (or at least I think so) that with any of those buying services you will get a "decent" or "fair" or "not ripoff" price but hardly ever the BEST price.

I mean think about it. If the industry just moved to a system where all you have to do is click once on the Internet and you immediately get the lowest possible price where the dealer is scraping out a little profit, then why would any of this other discussion still exist?

Those services are great for people who want a fair price and don't like to negotiate. It cuts the price down from inflated sticker to something that sounds better.

Given that we are seeing v6s quoted in the 27.5 to 28.1 range, your pricing for a 4 banger seems like it could get a little lower yet. Are your prices including the use of flexcash?
  • This is one minor area where Honda is deficient and behind other mfgs. They absolutely should offer a power drivers seat as either standard on the LX, or as an add on option. My 2005 camry LE had a p/s. Most of the competition offer a p/s. You should not have to pay almost $3000 more if all you want is a p/s.