Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,628
    Hogan,

There is really no need for you to cut and paste my post to you. I know what I said and it's irrating to have to read through all of that again.

I just hope things work out for you the way you are hoping they will.

Honda didn't have "flex cash" when I was in the business and I'm glad they didn't. They did have incentive and low interest programs that would start and end without notice. Shoppers and salespeople would try to second guess these programs and would sometimes get caught in the lurch.

That was my only point.
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    edited November 2013
    Sorry to irritate you my friend.

The point of copying it was to provide context for others. I know you know what you said, but this forum is more than just you and me. Most forum software has an easy way of showing responses through quoting the original post. Makes it easier to follow. This thread software is about the most basic and worst that I've seen. It's just a bunch of people talking about and responding to each other but you never see the context. If Edmunds was smart they'd upgrade to a more typical format.

Rant over. I totally get your point... If your point is that you can always wait for a "better deal"... Same thing happens even worse in tech... If you just wait a little longer the price will likely go down.. At least with cars it is more stable.

Unless honda rolls our a price INCREASE or dealers somehow feel that the market has firmed up from last week to this week, I don't see how I can lose by getting visibility on any new program plus fresh flexcash for dealers to use. I know they COULD choose not to use it on my specific deal, but I will be a real live buyer this week so it will be close me or lose me for each dealer. I'm not gonna keep waiting and I don't have the complicating factor of a trade in to muddy the waters. I need one number and one number only... Purchase price of the car. Can't get simpler than that.
  • One dealer I talked to gave me a HIGHER price for paying cash. I was expecting a LOWER price if I don't finance. Isn't it to their advantage to be paid in full at time of sale and not have to bother with the paperwork of financing?
  • jatanjatan Posts: 92
    They get commission for financing so they make more money that way

Honda also offers $500 flex cash that the dealer can apply directly to your purchase if you finance with Honda so thats why the price increased when you declined the financing -- every dealer gets a certain amount of flex cash funds each month so you only get it if they have funds left at the time of purchase

Ask the dealer what the minimum financing amount is (probably $7500 or $10000) -- put a big down payment and finance the min amount to get the $500 flex cash. You can pay off the loan within a few months so you wont lose much in interest
  • Well, in these economic times, dealers have to offer incentives to buy...even if you are Honda! But, they have the advantage in that they know what the supply is and will be. Maybe, because inventory on 2013 was very low towrd year end, they had to push to sell the 2014 in Sept/Oct....hope the supply coontinues in Nov for you. Do you have a price in mind? For me it was $800 below invoice and I didn't care how I got there. if flex cash hadn't been available, then they would've had to come down another $300 to get me to that #...just be patient. Unless you are stranded on the side of the road with no wheels, you can wait a few days!
  • This is a sweet deal! Near $2000 off invoice, I guess?

I tried very hard and used your OTD as a benchmark but they are quite reluctant to lower the price. Got $1325 off invoice finally, plus $500 flex cash and $500 graduate promotion. Not bad.

Here is the break down (a dealership in Morrow, GA). Unfortunately GA has the second highest tax and fees.

2014 Sport CVT 21,900.00
    Documentary Fee 599.75
    Georgia Tax 1,587.63
    Licence Fee 70.00
    Total 24157.38
    Promotion
    Flex Cash -500.00
    College Graduate -500.00
    Final OTD: 23157.38

Hope it helps!
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,432
    You made a very good deal. When calculating your deal.........after you paid that 600 doc fee charge put your deal at 725 below dealers invoice price for vehicle plus incentives.

You should post the name of the dealership so forum members in that area can strike a similar deal.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• The dealer says this is the very best he can do:
    Accord EX-L - priced at $25,262 which is our absolute best price on that vehicle.
    And to answer your following questions,
    1. Dest. Fee is $790
    2. Doc. Fee is $164.30
    3. Registration of new plates is $221 or if you are transferring plates it is $145.
    4. I will send you another quote with the pricing for one with navigation as well.
    5. All Dealer Cash is applied to this vehicle which allows us to sell it you under invoice.
    6. There is only a discount if you finance simply because Honda gives us another $500 to discount off the vehicle if you finance with them. There is no discount for paying cash.

Is this a good deal? I'm pretty confused by everything I'm reading and having trouble digesting it all. Does the dealer have room to negotiate on things like floor mats and any extras they've stuck on the car?

And why on earth is the addition of navigation system SO EXPENSIVE? Over $1,000.

Any help would be MOST appreciated in helping me think about all these factors.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a good idea!
  • Just curious, where are you getting this deal, what region/state? thanks JUlian
  • I'm in northern Illinois, far west of Chicago.
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited November 2013
    The invoice price of a 2014 Accord EX-L CVT without navigation (including destination fee) is $26,650.

If the price you were quoted does not include the destination fee, then the actual price is ($26,262 + 790) = $26,052. Hence, your price is about $598 below invoice. That is not a bad deal at all. BUT, if that price includes the $500 Flex cash then the vehicle price without any incentives or flex cash would be just $98 below invoice. That would be a terrible deal.

This is what you need to do. Ask the dealer to give you a quote for the price of the car including the destination fee but not including any incentives such as flex cash. If they are not prepared to budge on price, I would recommend contacting other dealerships in your area.

By the way, the invoice price of the 2014 EX-L with navigation is $28,269.

Hence, in order to tell whether you are getting a good deal depends on how low below invoice your quote is before any incentives.

Good luck.
  • bhur1bhur1 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I need advice from experienced members out there. I am looking at 2014 4 cyl Accord EX-L. I stay in CT
    All the dealers here are quoting me 26,000 - 26500 + sales tax + reg + doc fee ($399). I know the invoice price is 26,650
    Do you guys think this is a good deal?
    I am not a recent college graduate or dont have any military affiliation, so I dont think any incentives apply to me.
    I would be financing and have excellent credit
    edited November 2013
    If you are getting a price quote for $26,000 (including the destination fee), then that's $650 below invoice. Make sure that price does not include any incentives. What is the doc fee for the dealer offering you that price? How many dealers have you contacted so far? Do they have the car with your 1st choice color combination on their lot? Are you interested in adding any accessories?

If you plan to finance through Honda, ask the dealer if they have any flex cash available? An extra $500 will be applied towards the down payment of your car.

You can read some of my previous posts on how to negotiate the best deal.
  • Thanks a ton for the input!

I came extremely close to getting an amazing deal (25,000 out the door) because my cousin got involved (he knows some people at the dealership i was trying to purchase from). Long story short. the deal fell through.....sad for me.

for the 2014 EX does anyone think 25,000 out the door is possible?
    I do qualify for the 500 graduate discount and the 500 flexcash which nocks 1000 off whatever my final price is... Should I hold out? and try to get that price or should I be willing to conceed alittle more money to the dealer say 25,500 OTD?
    edited November 2013
    You did not have a backup dealership? What's the second best quote you have received so far for the 2014 model not including any incentives? How many other quotes did you receive? Can you list some prices?

If you contact a dealership and they do not have any flex cash available, let them know that it is a deal breaker for you. Those dealerships who really want your business, will reach out to you and notify you that they were able to track down a last batch of flex cash (It has happened to me, so this trick does work).

Without breaking down the numbers, i.e. sales price of the car, doc fees, registration fees, etc... I cannot tell you whether 25k or 25.5k OTD is a good deal before any incentives. Your main focus is to get the best deal/lowest price of the car without any incentives.

Since it is now the beginning of the month, I am not sure if you will be able to get a good deal but it does not hurt to reach out to more dealerships for pricing. Always make sure you have a backup dealership in case the first or second one falls through.

Here is my advice; Once you feel you have a good offer on the table, and the dealer has the color combination of the car you want on their lot with (or without) the accessories you want, there is no need to wait another month.
    Blue

What are the listings of dealerships you recommend up by you.

• Brian,

I bought my car from Honda Cars of Boston, so they would be my #1 choice. Their online quote was the lowest out of all the dealerships I reached out to and they did not play any games. I dealt with the internet manager via email directly. The Finance guy did not try to upsell me any warranties. My car buying experience was great.

Weymouth Honda lists all their prices online including doc fees and registration fees, but there is no room for negotiation. Herb Chambers did not want to budge much on their price when I reached out to them.

I test drove the Accord at Kelly Honda but did not buy from them because the sales guy was too pushy and their price was not competitive.

Dealerships I would avoid:
    - PRIME Honda in West Roxbury (They played too many games and lied to me. One of the worst car buying experiences)
    - Honda North in Danvers
    - Honda Gallery in Reading
    - Bernardi Honda
    - Commonwealth Honda in Lawrence (They played games)

You could still reach out to some of these dealerships for a price quote, but I would not do business with any of these 5 above.
    edited November 2013
    TKS i will pass on your dealership with my recommended dealers.

One note ; i dealt with the mgr at Bernardi and he give me a no nonsense price if i decide to come up to buy my Accord in Feb. He was 100 off the price from Weymouth and Herb Chambers at the time. If i had not told him about the other 2 dealerships my price would of been higher... Thats why i always preach in here pit one dealership against the next.... Its a head game that always works..

I have no dealings with the other dealerships but i will pass on your buying experiences and advice in the CRV forum.

• The 0.9%/1.9% financing offers have been extended to the 2014 models.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    I'm guessing pricing will loosen up a bit now and even more in December.

Bill G
  • As far as I know , The 1.9% (60 months) financing from HONDA is only for 2013 models. Are you sure that it is being offered on 2014 's ?
    one of my friend had 700+ credit score and got 2.24% APR for 60 months on 2014 accord. Can the dealer manipulate the honda Financing APR ?
  • It's being offered for 2014s BUT, it appears to be tied to their recent grad requirement. Go to the offers page by model, then click on more offers. It's at the bottom of the listings.
  • Info about the current finance offers is listed on Honda's Financial website: http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/shopping-tools/current-offers#national-new- -offers

0.9% APR for 24-60 months is available for 2013 Honda Accord Coupe.
    0.9% APR for 24-36 months is available for 2014 Honda Accord Sedan and Coupe.
    1.9% APR for 37-60 months is available for 2014 Honda Accord Sedan and Coupe.

These rates are good through 1/6/2014
  • Thanks bluemkn57 and plagwate for the information.
  • Hi everybody, I just sent out requests for quotes to dealers in my area (SF Bay Area).. My question is: When to discuss about financing? Once I am happy with the price? Or should it be a part of the discussion from the beginning?
    Nope I was offered this low financing on 2014 Accord in the past 48 hrs. Not tied to college grad. I don't really value it since I don't plan to hold a loan on the car, but I would finance if it results in flexcash.

BTW I am planning on closing an awesome deal on Saturday for an Accord...don't want to disclose the price here yet as it almost seems too good to be true but I will report once I have the car.....
    I would just focus on the purchase price of the car. The financing is what it is...you try for your best rate. Ideally you will have already gotten pre-approved somewhere else so you know that you can buy the car without relying on the dealer to provide financing. You want to stay away from the "how much can you pay per month" discussion because it is really easy for the effective car price to balloon up even when the monthly payment is only rising a smidgen
  • Just make sure it is a not a bait and switch deal.

Good luck.
  • Thanks for your reply. Actually, I don't really need financing, but it seems like most of the good deals come only if I finance. I am hoping to finance a small portion with no prepayment penalty, and then pay it off within few months.