Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Good on the finance end BUT did they forget lease support?
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Are you referring to a great money factor? I'm not sure where they are on that right now, but usually the good finance rates translate to good lease rates also. Check with kyfdx in the lease thread to see if he has the money factors yet.

Bill G
  • I'm disgusted! Turns out the dealer was applying a $500 incentive to the price they quoted, so it turned out to be not such a good deal after all. It doesn't take long to get fed up with these people, even if you never set foot in the showroom!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,623
    I'm not surprised. I used to deal with that all of the time.

Shopper pit dealers against the other dealers in their zeal to not pay one more nickel than they have to.

So, some store will play dirty and give "quotes" that they know they can't sell a car for.

The "smart shopper" has spent, literally weeks on the phone or going from store to store.

I was always upfront and open with my customers and once in awhile when I was asked if I could match or beat some ridiculous number that some other store had given them I had to be SO CAREFUL or I knew I would never see them again. I knew most wouldn't give me the satisfaction of saying " I told you so" even though I would never have said that.

I had to say..." Well, if they will REALLY sell you that car for that price with no last minute add ons or changes, then you should really buy it there"

" Now, if you find out they lied to you or made a mistake, come back and see me. I'll be happy to get you an exceptional deal"

The sad thing is quite often a weary shopper would just cave in and go ahead and buy from the store that lied to them.

" OK, you got me....I'm sick and tired of the fight, just sell me the car"

I do have to say that while I NEVER ONCE lowballed a customer it was tempting and I can see why it happens.
  • I actually closed a similar deal today and couldn't be happier. Clearly, right now is a superb time to buy. I wanted to thank you and the other folks on this board who have been so helpful.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Congrats on the new Accord - can you give us a breakdown of our deal?

Thanks, Bill G
  • In a previous post of mine, I stated: This is what you need to do. Ask the dealer to give you a quote for the price of the car including the destination fee but not including any incentives such as flex cash.

I've dealt with shady salesmen and dealerships before, so I hear you. Did you have a backup dealership in place that you could reach out to?
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited November 2013
    You made some good points.

From my personal car buying experience, pitting dealers against one another did not work for me, since most dealerships were firm on their price. Those who offered to match or beat another dealer's price by $XXX never had the lowest price and always played games.

At the end of the day, a shopper needs to figure out the market price of the car they want to buy, and when they are ready to deal offer a "reasonable" BUY TODAY price. That trick worked for me and that's one of the best advice I have gotten from being on this forum.

I have a question for you, since you used to sell cars and Hondas. Why do some salesmen think being deceptive is a way of doing business?

The sad thing is quite often a weary shopper would just cave in and go ahead and buy from the store that lied to them.

I walked out of two dealerships when I was ready to make a deal, after they had lied to me. I would never cave in and buy from a dealership who is dishonest, even if they had the lowest price.
  • Yes, you told me. I was stupid. And naive. I do have other dealers in mind. No GREAT price, but a higher volume dealer may be more willing to come down.
  • sg71sg71 Posts: 2
    It's Pohanka Honda on Beltway (MD). With student discount (-$500), it will be $22000.....sweet
  • Georgette,

Do not beat yourself up too hard. Information is power.

Use the advice on this forum to obtain a good price from the higher volume dealership. Do not let them know that your first choice dealer played games with you, but let them know that you are ready to BUY TODAY.

Let us know how it goes this time. Keep your head up :)
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    Keep it all in perspective. While I am gunning for a showpiece price (and I hope it is real and not a bait and switch) not everyone will get there with their specific dealers. I happen to live in a large city where there were almost 20 dealers to start from. If you have 2 dealers in a 100 mile radius, YMMV. And like he said, don't beat yourself up too much. If you end up paying $250 or $500 more than you were hoping on a 25,000 to 30,000 car, oh well. I'd almost prefer to pay MORE rather than continue the sale with a dishonest dealer. And keep the $250 to $500 in context....you probably waste that much money on a lot of other stuff like Starbucks and going out to eat and extra clothes you don't really need, so when attached to a great car that you will enjoy over the next 5 or even 10 years, big whup...

I'm just gunning for the low price for the sport of it, and because if I CAN save the $250 or $500 then I'll feel like I "won" the game :)
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,432
    edited November 2013
    Change your buying approach.

When you Ask dealerships for prices and there best quotes.... You get answers and prices like you have. Most of those quotes have rebates/incentives applied to that number to deceive you in thinking its a good price. Dealers want you in that showroom especially a woman with no buying experience.

When you have a target price to buy........Your Telling each dealership

I buy today for this price plus any rebates and incentives that apply to me.

Then you ask.... Do you have flex cash if i finance. If dealer says no.. You tell him well x honda down the block is offering flex cash so you would need to be 500 cheaper on your vehicle to compete with them.. This is how you negotiate. On the phone thru the internet manager. Make your list of dealerships and play the game. As you go down your list cross off all the lying and dishonest dealerships.... There will be alot .

Now you and EVERY Remaining DEALERSHIPS ARE CLEAR ON Your PRICE and what it takes to get your deal done. Not your way which is a constant guessing game in price and details.

If you are in a state where there are limited dealerships you still buy the same way making your best deal out of the few dealerships you have to work with. Supply and demand will de a factor in your price unless you want to travel out of state.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• Georgette, do not let the process intimidate you...you can do this. Anyone can get a bad deal but with patience you can work a good deal that you are happy with. I am not the best negotiator but this forum taught me a lot in addition to what I already knew. I had to do almost all negotiating over phone and through emails. It was less threatening and I had time to think about my next move. Be patient...in the end, you'll have a good deal.
    edited November 2013
    blue,

You asked...

" why do some salesmen think being deceptive is a way of doing business"

It's because they get tired of customers being deceptive, lying and showing no respect for the time they spend with them. They quickly become jaded and learn that in many cases, a handshake and loyalty mean nothing.

They learn to stereotype people and how to ferret out the serious from the flakes.

When they get too jaded and burned out, they leave the business.

In other words, they respond in kind.
    edited November 2013
    They learn to stereotype people and how to ferret out the serious from the flakes.

I am not surprised by that statement.

I will always be honest with any salesperson I deal with, and I would hope that they will treat me the same way. I can recall agreeing on a deal with a dealership in writing a couple of months ago while searching for a new Accord. After visiting the dealer the next day I was told that the car in the color combination I wanted was sold the previous day (That's one of the most ridiculous lies I had ever heard from a car salesman). They thought I was just going to fold and take whatever color was on their lot. I refused and decided to get up and walk out without any regrets. I am glad I did.

I do not enjoy all the games being played by some of these sales guy. I do understand that those who have been burned in the past by some unscrupulous individuals, feel that by doing the same to prospective customers it would even things out.

Unfortunately, that sales guy and dealership who lied to me has lost my business forever. I will make sure to tell anyone in the market for a new or used Honda in the Boston area not to do business with them, even if they had the lowest price.
    So, when you "agreed" on that deal, did they say they would hold the car for you? Did you place a deposit on it?

Otherwise, why would it be a "ridiculous lie"? A high volume store like the one I worked at can often sell 20 new cars a day or even more.

We used to have a saying..." It's either SOLD, or it's not"

We rarely would hold a car for someone because experience taught us otherwise.

" Hold that car, I'll be in tomorrow to buy it!"

So, later that day, another customer who looked at it before comes back, cash in hand to buy that same car"

Do you sell it to the guy standing there or do you tell him..." Ah, I've got someone who "says" he is coming tomorrow to buy this car so you can't have it"

What would YOU do?

So, it's best to say..." I'm sorry but we can't hold a car for you and I hope you can understand why this is our policy".

Most of the time, that would light a fire under the first person who would suddenly figure out a way to rearrange things so they could come earlier.

On used cars, it was tough. " I can't hold this car for you (while you continue to shop) and there is a good chance it's going to get sold quickly.

Rolling of eyes...." Well, if it's meant to be, it's meant to be...I'll just take my chances"

I can't tell you have many "meant to be" shoppers returned only to find the car they really wanted had sold!

Sometimes I felt like saying..." You didn't believe me, did you?...I guess this wasn't meant to be"!
    edited November 2013
    i just walked out of a new york hyundai dealership i hour ago.

I was nice pleasant and played stupid. They treated me like i was a moron..

Why was i treated like this......

The salesman and his manager worked me over they both lied about price incentives and just about everything i asked them. They have a special deal for me if i buy today...

R you sure isell.. about your comments and your brother and sister compadres conduct and practices. Never seems to change nice or not..

I went in there to check out a vehicle/ pricing/ info . If i did not know better i would say i was treated with mis information and lies like always.

Pays to be nice. Wait til nov,30 they will deal with the real brian and not the herb.

edited November 2013
    isellhondas,

Before going into the dealership, I had called and spoken to the general sales manager and informed him that I was coming in the next day to close the deal. I specifically asked him if the car was on the lot and he said YES.

If the car (in my color combo) was actually on their lot and sold to a cash buyer that day, they could have called me and informed me about it. They had my contact information, since they were emailing and calling me to find out when I was going to come into the dealership. Instead, I wasted nearly two hours (an hour driving to the dealer and another hour at the dealership).

Another ridiculous thing happened while at that same dealership. It was with regards to flex cash. The sales guy was trying to tell me that they could not guarantee flex cash since it could take time to "locate" the car in my color combo, and I had not signed any paperwork yet. I will tell you why that was a BS statement. They had already run my credit and they knew I was a serious buyer. Anyway, after I walked out of that dealership, I immediately got in touch with my backup dealership. I spoke with the internet sales manager and one his sales guys took my personal information over the phone (credit application, etc..) and they were able to guarantee the flex cash discount before it expired. Guess what? They were also able to locate the car for me in the color combination I wanted in one day.

If the first dealer really wanted my business, they would have done the same. I came in a few days later to sign the paperwork and pick up my new car. I was in that dealership for less than a couple of hours. The finance guy did not try to push me into buying any extended warranty plans. The staff I dealt with was very professional. They did not play any games and treated me with respect. That's why I would always recommend that dealership to anyone looking to buy a Honda in the Boston area.

I have learned my lesson. You can NEVER give any car salesman the benefit of the doubt.
  • Sorry but I just can't find old messages very well on this forum, so I apologize for needing to be told something more than once. I remember the suggestion of going for $600 below invoice, BUT am now not sure if that includes or excludes other costs, like Dest. Fee.

The big-volume dealer I'm talking with now in northern Illinois is offering this for the 2014 Accord EX-L: $25,499 He has already added in $790 for Dest. Fee and subtracted $500 Loan Incentive. So is his base price $25,499 - $790 + $500 = $25,209, or $1,441 below invoice. OR should I include the $790 and think of his price as $25,999, or $651 below invoice.

I feel too stupid to come up with a number to tell them is my price. And what about accessories? Are they making big profit on those and should I be asking for discount there? If they agree to a base price of $25,000 but then charge me the maximum for things like floor mats, am I just fooling myself that I'm getting a good deal?

Where do I find the dealer's actual cost for accessories?

much thanks for the patience of anyone who responds.
    I have learned from many years of buying that the car industry is full of salesman and dealerships that lie and deceive people. Is it considered a real job anymore.?? You can avoid these practices most of the time by buying via email then by phone via fax sale thru the internet manager.

If this cant be done you have to drive from one dealer to the next sit down with these sales folks who most of the time know less than you about the vehicle your buying and put up with let me get my manager. Hopefully you get a decent guy like isell that makes this process less hellful.

Overall i say its a 70/30 dishonest industry

edited November 2013
    add the 790 dest/ charge with invoice then minus it off your below invoice price.

2014 EXL invoice= 25,860
    dest/charge.............790
    total......................26,650 invoice w dest charge

• huh? I don't understand what you're saying.
    edited November 2013
    here is your breakdown
    26,650..............invoice w dest/ charge
    25499.. dealers .price w dest included

Your at 1151 below invoice price..

if the 500 flex was included in this number then like you posted your deal is at 651 below invoice. Nice job

• The Dealer's Invoice INCLUDES destination charge?? Am I the only one who didn't know that?

I didn't do anything special to get that price. I just asked for their best price. BUT NOW, I want to come up with my asking price, right? If he has offered the 25,499 which DOES include his subtraction of $500 for incentive, would it be too expressive for me to propose $25,000 ? This takes me back to the issue of accessories - how can I get those for the best price? Or does one always have to pay the invoice on accessories?
  • Georgette,

Always include the destination fee in the price of the car, when figuring out whether you are getting a good deal or not. Brian is correct.

My only advice at this stage is to make sure that the dealer has the car in the color combination you want on their lot. If not, find out whether they can locate the car for you at no extra charge. Never settle for a second or third choice color on a 2014 model at this time of the year.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
    edited November 2013
    Georgette,

I do not want to sound mean, but there is a lot of info on this forum on how to go about getting the proper information when reaching out to dealerships for their best price. Brian and I have written a lot of posts on this subject with very valuable information.

Before providing a counter offer price, make sure that the dealer's best price included the destination fee. As for the flex cash ($500 loan incentive), I hope you are aware that you would have to finance the car through Honda Financial Services. Hence, if your credit is not the best you might be stuck with a high interest rate. I am not making any assumptions here on your credit score, but I just want to give you all the info that will help you make the best financial decision.

Do not worry too much about the price of accessories right now. Your main focus is to agree on a sales price of the car. Once you have sealed the deal, then you can negotiate on the price of accessories. What accessories were you looking to buy? All weather floor mats? You can get them cheaper online.

My dealer was offering OEM floor mats at MSRP, so I ended up buying them brand new on Ebay at a huge discount. They came from an out of state dealership.
  • You're right -- there is a lot of good info on this website, BUT the search facility isn't that great. I read through hundreds of posts but when I went back to try to locate any one of them, it was pretty cumbersome. But nowhere do I remember reading that Destination Fee was included in the Invoice price. Maybe it's common knowledge.

btw, my credit is exquisite. I don't like being forced into a loan, but that $500 is too much to pass up. I just heard a piece on the radio this morning (NPR) that because interest rates are so low, one doesn't need especially good credit score to get a car loan.
    edited November 2013
    Truecar.com is a good source for invoice pricing.

Check this out: http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/honda/accord-sedan-pricing/2014/. Scroll down the page and there is a table listing the TOTAL Factory Invoice price and MSRP (with the destination fee included).

As far as the search feature on this site, I hear you. Sometimes, I navigate to previous pages by clicking the page numbers at the bottom. If I am looking for something I wrote previously, I search for my name "bluemkn57cars" in the search box at the right of the page next to "Search This Discussion". If there is a specific post you want to search for, you can enter the post number at the top left of the page in the box next to "Go To Msg #".

I hope that helps.
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    Yes this website is the most basic and cruddy layout I've ever seen. As I said in an earlier post, it is very hard to follow along with anything since it doesn't include the "quote" function. So it is just a collection of people talking to each other, but it's like listening to one side of a phone conversation. They should really move to a better forum hosting software.