Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Just bought a 2014 Sport 6 speed manual in the New Orleans area. MSRP was $ 24505 including destination charge. Sale price was $ 22395. Dealer had to get the car from another dealer in Mississippi because there were no 6 speeds in stck in the New Orleans area and I told them upfront I had no interest in the CVT.
  • You should be able to get a great price - NorCal is a great market - lots of dealers and even the retards selling you the car know people are Internet savvy. True car shows 20,480 for my zip in NorCal for an Lx with cvt, that includes destination. That's 13% off msrp, and I'm sure you could get them down another 1-2%.

Frankly I think the sweet spot in the entire lineup is either the sport or the EX. I'll bet you could get an EX cvt for say 22,600 including destination. GL!
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    zigster - you may not be aware, but the term you used in your post to describe sales people has become a very offensive, socially unacceptable term in society. I can't speak for others, but I think it would be better for all who use the forum if we all tried to be considerate in our language and how we express ourselves.

Thanks,

Bill G
  • I completely agree. My apologies. I amend the term to 'the Mensa collection waiting to sell you a car' ;)
    Wow - you just don't get it do you? You don't see that it's not about someone "waiting to sell you a car." I tried to bring to your attention in a respectful and courteous way your use of a derogatory term that has no useful place on a public forum like this and you respond in the only way you apparently know how - snarky and sarcastically.

I was hoping my first post would spark some thought on your part about what you said and how you said it but I guess not. If you feel like it, google "use of the term retard" and who knows - maybe you'll understand what I am getting at.

I'm not trying to be politically correct or holier than thou and believe it or not, I'm not trying to tick you off - just trying to make the point that there are probably many other ways you can express your disdain for sales folks or anyone else without having to use a slur.

Take care,

Bill
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,873
    edited November 2013
    Appreciate the support but, no, he doesn't get it. I would have left him standing alone in the rain in the middle of our lot wondering what happened.

I didn't need customers like that and the loss of a sale to him (or anyone else) wouldn't have affected my lifestyle one iota.

I hope he meets someone like myself as he prowls the lots.
    edited November 2013
    Isell - in this case, I didn't even know you were involved - I just saw a blatantly disrespectful remark that affected more than one group of people and attempted to address it. I guess I'll never understand why some folks just can't conduct themselves like an adult. In this case, I have to agree it appears to be a lost cause.

Lately, I've confined my posts in this thread to congratulating folks on their new accords and maybe a little light advice. A few hard core "expert" advice givers seem to have taken over and many of the advice seekers are willing to follow and then wonder why they get a major headache trying to buy a car.

I have been following you guys in the frontlines thread and enjoy the much more civil interaction where folks actually have a discussion - maybe I'll chime in one of these days.

Take care Craig,

Bill
  • crazeeceecrazeecee Posts: 13
    edited November 2013
    So, I am getting ready to buy my "2014 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan" tomorrow. I am in Northern California, South Bay area. The best price I have right now is around $25,600 (incl dest fee). Both my top dealers seem to be out of flex cash. I just don't seem to be able to get them lower (this is my first car purchase, and I am probably not so good at negotiating).

Any suggestions to get them lower? Or is it a decent price, and it is tough to get them lower (I can't wait till the end of the month), and I should just go ahead and buy it.
    If you need the car now, a grand back of invoice is not a bad price without flex. If you can put it off, the deals might be sweeter in Dec. If both dealers have the car you want, I'd call the Internet Mgrs of both, tell them for 25k, you'll be there in 30 minutes to sign away - they might say no but then again, you never know.

Bill G
  • I don't know what I am doing wrong, but these dealers don't even seem to reply back to me promptly. Like I called a dealer around 2 hrs back to email me the complete out-the-door price breakdown, but I haven't yet received any reply! I have told them that I plan to buy the car tomorrow (which is true). Are they generally like this? Or am I doing something really wrong here?
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    Some dealers don't "play the game" (the internet game)

I emailed 18 dealers in Chicagoland. A good 3 or 4 never responded. Another 4 or 5 gave some totally lowball quote, but it had some many asterisks and qualifiers, and when I followed up to ask them some basic questions (like are there dealer options on your cars, and does this quote assume incentives already applied or not, etc) they just ignored me. I crossed them off the list as I assume that I "found them out" or they otherwise had something to hide. One dealer quoted 300 ABOVE invoice, then had the audacity to believe that I had any quotes lower than that! Then tried to tell me that any other quotes were, by definition, misleading or trickery. I ended up buying the car almost 2000 bucks lower than that guy's "best quote"

It's possible that you're in a smaller market and if so, maybe the dealers know they have more "power"
  • I dont know.. I am in San Jose area.. Definitely not a small market I think.. Either I am really bad at this.. Or this is just a bad time to buy..
    You're not doing anything wrong - keep in mind that saturday is probably their busiest traffic day for walk ins. Call whoever it is you've been working with - see if you can establish phone contact and try to work it that way. Don't get too anxious or impatient - it will put you at a disadvantage. Hogan was very patient and methodical and got a killer deal.

Bill
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 3,061
    edited November 2013
    What is your rush.. Call and speak directly to each internet manager. Emails on pricing work only so far. Some dealerships let there sales people do most of the leg work, like finding your car, options etc. maybe dealers are looking to trade with another dealership. By you rushing will lead to you not getting the lowest possible price. The 2 hr dealership will call you back trust me.

In the mean time you need to figure out your target price to buy. high and low end.
    what each dealerships doc fee charge is that you contacted?

flex cash options ,, etc.

Back to my opening line of direct calling.

Make a list of as many dealerships that your willing to travel to. Ask each dealership for the name, email, and phone number of each Int/ mgr and negotiate your deal thru him/her.

If you cant handle this kind of buying you need to go to each dealership and sit down with the sales folks and do the same thing.

Any dealerships internet manager that wont give you bottom line price to buy that moment or wont get back to you on pricing remove off your dealerships to buy list.

Read back thru these boards there is a wealth of great buying tips and info.

What area are you looking to buy maybe i could help you with dealerships..

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• crazeeceecrazeecee Posts: 13
    edited November 2013
    There is no really target price I had. I was looking to get the best deal that I can.

My lowest price has actually gone up now (I don't know how that happened to me). That dealer is telling me that the price that I have right now from the other dealer is really good ($25,815 including flex cash and some protection package). He can offer only the same price to me but doesn't have any flex cash available. So, he is saying that I should go ahead and buy it from the other dealer since I am effectively getting a free protection package from that dealer as compared to his own dealer. But looking at this board, I know it is not so great?

I am in Santa Clara / San Jose area. Do you know dealers in this area which are biggest or are known to give the best price?
    crazee....

There are a lot of "ruined" markets in the car business and the greater Bay Area is one of those. I have to ask you....you were given a GREAT price!

Is a hundred or two really going to make a difference in the long run? Is the stress REALLY worth all of this? If so, then follow the advise in these forums and make it a gut wrenching procedure.

In "ruined" markets, the dealers are numb and callous and they are sick and tired of trying to provide professional service and they get to the point they lowball people, add last minute changes and ignore countless emails that they know are unlikely to amount to anything.

Just my thoughts for whatever they may be worth.
    edited November 2013
    I tell folks in every forum i'm evolved in. You cant expect to get pricing like other folks are posting. Take the high price and low prices you see in this forum as your guide. Thats how you judge your deal in your area.

Your best deal/ price might be in the middle of the high and lows on this board. If thats the case your getting a great deal.

Remember in any of these buying forums.

Some posters lie.
    Some posted prices are obtained by many factors.

1- Area of vehicle

2- Supply and demand factor.. dealerships and cars

3- How good you can negotiate.

4-Knowing how and when to buy.

I am on the East Coast so i cant help you in your area.

Round up several dealerships and take the best price closest to your house. dont worry that john in chicago is getting the same car for 700 less than you.

Your concern is getting the best price from your target dealerships.

Once you reached out to your target dealerships in your area with price.. Make your best deal.. Now you can say... hey i did not get taken advantage of with pricing and out of the 10 dealerships who competed for my business i took what i felt is my best deal.

This is how you buy.. If your the type who wants that very best price and deal i suggest you read some of our other posters posts in this forum.. These guys will give you great tips and buying advice. Use this info to make a great deal on your new purchase.

bluecars57
    Hogan
    gmanusmc
    brian125

1. Your first dealer is exhausted from dealing with you and hopes you'll go elsewhere. This happens.

2. This Protection Package is probably worth very little.

3. DO NOT believe all of the so called Prices Paid numbers on this board. Some never happened. Not even close.

4. Lastly, I do wish you well.

Since the price seems to be so important, do you really have to have an EXL?

Maybe a lesser model would do the trick for a lot less money. All Accords are well equipped now and may be in greater supply.
    Bill,

Come join us in that other forum. Some good people there. Jump right in!
  • @isselhondas @brian125 thanks for the great advice.. i think you guys are right.. i am stressing out over probably few hundred dollars for no reason.. but now the question is, how do I go back to that dealer who was giving protection package etc for $25,815. I also wanted interior illumination in the car. I am sure if I ask him for that now, he will give me the most expensive price for that?
    crazeecee

This is why i posted do not rush. Before you buy any vehicle you have to know exactly what you want before you start your price negotiations. Cant be changing or adding options after getting pricing.

isell is correct about dealerships and pricing... You get one shot at doing it right then dealerships will string you along.

Start your buying process over with exactly what you want in the car.. If you call dealerships as i suggested you still will work out a good deal..

make sure if your calling on the phone each dealership knows your buying that moment for xxx price. read thru prior posts

good luck.

I wouldn't say anything about this interior illumination package. That is an oddball accessory that few people order.

Buy the car the way it is. If that extra is something you HAVE to have you can always add it later.

By returning you will NOT be in a position of strength and that dealer knows that. Tell him you've decided to take his offer. If something changes, just leave.

I'll never understand the pain some people will put themselves through.
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    Methinks you are probably signaling your impatience to the dealers. It's like an easy "tell" in poker. You can TALK THE TALK all you want about wanting the lowest price, but if you are signaling otherwise that you are NEEDING to buy today (implied = at any reasonable price) then you've given away whatever power you once had.

I was methodical, and was very courteous to the dealers who were contacting me, but I used the fact that THEY were contacting ME to my advantage. I'd respond quickly to their emails if they emailed me, but would'nt hound THEM! It was as if I was so busy (which in fact I was) with other things that this whole car buying thing was one more thing on my list.

I also didn't gum up the works worrying about some custom cr%p. I was shopping for a COMMODITY and I acted like it. An Accord V6, without any dealer installed junk, in black. Every dealer pretty much had one in inventory. And they couldn't really pressure me in terms of time, because I darn well knew that every few days or every week, when a new truck rolled in from Ohio, there would be another black V6 in the shipment. So I am shopping for a commodity, and all I care about is best price. And I will drive up to X miles to get it for the best price. Some dealers try to hook you with all the other junk...we'll give you a free oil change, or we have a nicer service lounge, whatever. I couldn't care less.

So when you are getting into all these details about whether they can install special lighting and stuff, then you've taken away the commodity factor. And then when you email them and you're sitting on the couch watching the second hand on the clock moving and wondering why it's been 24 minutes and they haven't called you back, they will smell that desperation.

I was on my way to pay for the car at Dealer #1, and it was Saturday morning, and I got an email from Dealer #3. NOTE I DIDN'T INITIATE - I was responding to him. But it was perfect timing. I called him back and said "oh hey, what's up, yeah actually I'm on my way to pay for the car because I found it for a lower price than the price you quoted, which I assumed was your lowest. I'm buying for 26,999. He of course went into action and said "what can I do to earn your business".....3 minutes later I had a Text from him agreeing to match that 26,999 price. Turned out I needed that, since the first dealer ended up playing games.
  • Had the opportunity to drive the Accord Hybrid. Very nice, felt more planted and less jittery than the normal version. Certainly due to the 225 tires and extra weight. It compared very well with bmw 328d in fact - similar 0-60, less sharp handling but cheaper and gets better mileage.

It was a mid level model, the one that's 32k. Is that worth the premium over an ex-l that you can probably get for 7k less? No, but i want one anyway :) They were asking 1k over msrp. It does not look like the price will come down anytime soon, or at least by Christmas. I think Honda has a huge winner here, and in that case you are just going to have to pay what the market will bear, at least for a while.
    edited November 2013
    My EXL v-6 is a definite upgrade from previous years models. I will tell you this... on bumpy roads or city driven especially here in NYC this car is less planted and jumping all over the place. Not a great ride. Highway this car is nice. If you are fortunate enough to drive more upscale vehicles you will know what i'm talking about.

If this will be a problem for you buy the Hybrid you will be much happier. And money well spent unless you upgrade your vehicle class.

I have always bought vehicles like these for my kids when they were growing up and just driven. Honda Accords / Camry's / Nissans, all good vehicles that serve its purpose.

I'm not sure how a 3 series rides just heard from friends and reviews. A 2014 Accord will be more jumpy/ jittery riding than the 3 series BMW.

The hybrid version with the extra weight and tires may give you a similar ride to your 328..

Post back your conclusion on these vehicles.

• Thanks everybody for your replies and suggestions.

I purchased my car yesterday. Love it :)

Here is my final deal:
    2014 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan
    Sales Price: $25,815
    Paid by AHM (most probably Flex Cash?): $300
    Doc Fee: $80 (the max allowed by CA)
    I did not go with the interior illumination accessory. Will maybe get it later.
    The finance guy threw in another $100 of flex cash at the end for free Phantom Footprints. Also, took a small amount of loan at 0.9%.

The purchase was at the dealer who had initially told me that they had run of flex cash and was suggesting me to buy it from the other dealer giving the flex cash and protection package ($25,815 sales price - $500 flex cash + $499 protection package).
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited November 2013
    Congrats on the purchase.

Flex cash is normally $500 and it is applied towards the down payment of the car. Could you clarify how much in total you received in flex cash? $400 ($300 paid by AHM and $100 from the Finance guy) or $500 as you stated in the final price breakdown?
  • I've bought allot of cars in my days and consider myslef to be decent at negotiating and doing my homework before deciding what car I want, how it should be equipted and what price I'll pay.

with that said, all this advice on how to get the "best price" can be incredibly time consuming and stressfull. sometimes it's not about what you can afford but it just boils down to someone needing to know they got the "best price" ever.

As much as I hate to hear when someone gets taken advantage of at the dealer, I also think the race to find the best deal ever can be a waste of time, energy and stress - those are the folks who come back to this collum even after buying to make sure no one got a better deal out of fear they left money on the table.

for many people - going with a broker can be the least stressfull method or through a car buying program such as Costco.

I must add; I can't believe Isell is still here - it's been maybe 10 years since I posted here and Isell is still going strong.
    " Phantom Footprints" ???

Had to look that one up...I'm still laughing....

You've pulled the trigger! Good for you!
    Yep, I'm still here. Left a few times out of boredom or frustration but still kicking.

I totally agree with you. Some people are just terrified that someone else, somewhere just MIGHT have bought the same car for less money.

Sad way to go through life especially when someone will be quick to tell them that they, indeed, paid too much.

Car Brokers are, thankfully a thing of the past now. People read these forums and the "experts" advise them here.

Costco provides an easy way to buy a car but my "Costco Buyers" would usually just take my number and go shop it to death.

Thankfully retired now for three years and not missing it.