Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ejakabejakab Posts: 20
    "Deal processing fee"? LOL.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    edited February 2013
    "Deal processing fee?"
    Yes, that is a special fee for the v4.

For the record, Virginia has NO cap or rules on doc fees. However, the average doc fee is 399...

http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/which-additional-fees-should-i-pay-at-the-dea- lership-what-is-the-doc-fee/#comment-53152
  • Down hither it's called the bool kaka fee...
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,347
    No such thing as a "V-4" unless you are talikng about a 1960's Saab.

All four holes are in a straight line!
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,002
    All your emails are sent out on the last day of the month.
    Emails should say that if you will meet my offer price i will buy today with a credit card deposit.
    i like to speak directly to the Internet/ Sales manager. if we agree on price he then faxes to me the buyers order with all the vehicle info and price. Once you both sign buyers order...... its a legal document. You now pick up car when its ready from dealership and pay balance off when picking up car.
    This method does not work with a trade in or if you need dealer financing. Anyone i've helped buy this way in these forums the last 16 yrs will tell you that this is the fastest, easiest ,and stress free way of buying..

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• Brian, I agree with the technique on the last day of the month with no trade.

With a trade-in at the end of the month be ready to walk out and go to another dealer if the first one is not giving you the right price for the trade.
    " Stress free" ????????

The trouble is, any smart dealer won't give you a number to shop.

You are setting yourself up for a miserable experience this way and a lot of stores will really play games with you.

Our store NEVER gave a shopper a number to go shop.

Did we lose some business that way? No doubt.

Still, that store has been the number one volume Honda dealer in nine states for the past 33 years.

I know you are trying to be helpful but I will say, I never saw a LEGIT deal that I couldn't beat.
  • Brian, I know your methodology. But why do you think a dealer is going to give you his best price in an email? Because you claim you will do a deal? Want to use emails to weed out dealers, that's fine but unless you are at the dealership in person to put your offer in writing, you're not going to get the best deal available. Yes, there are some people who feel intimidated dealing face to face and would probably do better doing it by email, but I'm sure you are not one of them :) And if I were you, and the dealer met your offer price in your email, I'd run down to the nearest Honda dealer and make a lower offer in person. Might take some back and forth, but I'd bet you would beat that email price.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Despite many, many, many emails, I could never get a dealership to give me a price. I think it rare anyone would be abe to get a "best" price thru email. You're gonna get that best price showing them you are a serious "today" buyer.

I always thought it wierd someone would want to buy a car without test driving it first. Test drove one that had a squeaking sound from rear hatch, test drove a Chrysler Town Country had a bad squeak coming from inside sliding door. You never know. :surprise:
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,621
    Tried this site and liked it. You chat with multiple dealers within a couple hundred miles, and they make direct offers to you with numbers on your desired car. You can counteroffer. Seemed social and pleasant to me. I don't like an adversarial relationship with my salesperson. I see it as a win-win situation—I can get a good deal on a great car, and they can make a bit of profit and make a living. And maybe we can have a little fun while we do it. I wasn't willing to drive out of town for my rather rare desired model of Accord—EXL Navi sedan 4 cylinder in Red Basque Pearl. Wife wasn't flexible on the color. Anyway, long story short, had a pleasant experience yesterday with a local salesman who gave $2800 off list. The car will be driven here from another dealer, and will probably arrive next week.
  • nipsternipster Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    I meant dealer processing fee & 4 cylinders but I think everyone got that so not sure what the fuss is about or how it adds value to this conversation thread.

Anyways, IMO, what folks will find valuable is a discussion around quality of the deal. Was it good/fair/bad compared to what others have gotten? It's not going to have an impact on mine as it's already done but will be extremely helpful to those that are currently in the market

Lastly, regarding average doc fee in VA, I was charged $499, and that was the ONLY # that was hard-printed (rest were hand written). And as the article points out, even if I had managed to negotiate it down, dealer would've reduced the overall price but left the doc fee # as $499 so as not to open themselves up to a class-action lawsuit. So I suppose it just depends on the dealership as to what they 'list' as their doc fee.
  • Obviously you will first test drive the car at a local dealership. I tried the CRV, Accord, Camry and new Rav-4. Once I decided to go with Accord CVT Sport, I emailed bunch of dealers in NJ, PA, and MD. Used Carwoo too. From around 20-30 dealers, short listed 5-6 dealers who were ready to work on the price via email/phone.
    Finally bought the Accord CVT Sport last month from MD for almost $1800 below invoice (including the procecssing fee + dest). Obviously you will get the best price once you reach the final dealership and can negotiate it further down.
    edited February 2013
    Many dealerships have gave me there bottom line price.. How i know that is dealing with the high volume dealerships then the smaller dealerships.

last month pricing on Accords in my area using my method let me know what pricing was on the Accord. This month i will try to make my best deal . i have bottom line numbers from many dealers . I will make my best deal at months end........... Poster, Darrin8.... from S.C beat me out on the vehicle i was going to buy from a Dealer in my area so i lost my leverage last month on what i know was a great deal.

Mr honda your are dead wrong on my buying system.
    I'm not dealing with salesman on that last day on the phone.

Buying any vehicle the last day of the month is the only way to buy.
    thru out the month you do your research. You close your deal last day of the month. Doing research also means taking a trip to the dealership for your test drive and any other questions you have about that vehicle. maybe you ask about a trade in price.

So the little work i did last month Online and talking with several dealerships Managers will help me decide what dealerships closest to my home i want to purchase this Accord from. I could travel hours away to save $ 250 but why bother its not worth the time and effort. Sound pretty stress free to me.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,621
    edited February 2013
    Clearly a lot of good thought and work went into the Carwoo site and software. Oh, and by the way it's free for buyers. I suppose the dealer who ends up selling you a car pays a small fee, but I don't know about that.

Anyway, Carwoo lets you interact and post notes for dealers and salespeople on the Carwoo site, but they don't have your email address and phone until you want them to have those things. I don't have any fear of talking with sales people and giving them my contact info to start with, and so that's not a big deal to me. But for others it might make the Carwoo buying and comparing experience something to consider. What it does allow you to do regardless is compare a few legit offers side by by before you buy. If most of the details are worked out before you get to the dealer, it makes it more pleasant imho when you get there and meet your person. Then you most likely can have a pleasant experience getting your car.
  • Brian, what is your target car and the best offer so far? Dealer name not required.
    Mike you will hold this price record sale until honda puts out cash incentives on the Accords.
    No dealer in the New york ,New jersey, Conn. and Boston. area will come close to that great price.
    The best deal outside of yours that i know of was at Weymouth honda and that was $ 983. below invoice with doc fee's of 239. for a grand total of 744 below invoice.

Maybe i should rethink my old system and have you buy me a EXL model.

• Hearing any whispers of Honda cash incentives yet? In February?
    edited February 2013
    Carwoo? Sounds like Daewoo and you know what happened to them! :D

I've seen, literally dozens and dozens of these come and go over the years but, who knows?

As far as color, when a shopper is totally inflexable on the color it can cost them dearly. If, for example a store knows that they have the "only" red Accord EXL in their district and a shopper who HAS to have that color, they know they can hold out for more money. They will "lock" the car so it can't be traded to another store.

If they don't have that color and they see another store does, they will quickly try to trade for it hoping the shopper hasn't shopped the other store.

In the case of Basque Red, that isn't a very popular color at all and you just might find yourself in that position. It isn't a "bad" color by any means, it just doesn't sell very well.
    There are NEVER any "whispers"! The dealers aren't told until the last second!
    edited February 2013
    I was trying to buy the v-6 touring but i have changed my mind to EXL, V-6.
    My youngest daughter is finishing up her masters this year and i want to surprise her at the end of this year for her great effort and all the long hours she put into her studies. Her 07 Accord has been trouble free but it getting up there in miles.
    Pricing in my area is between 400 and 700 below invoice price plus doc fee's. Jan 31st pricing guide. Boston and M.D. few hundred cheaper.

NJ ...doc's 299 to 399
    NY....doc's....... 75