Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• darbebodarbebo Posts: 10
    Hello,

Was hoping you could give me some guidance and maybe talk some sense to me.

I currently own a 2005 honda accord LX and i'm in the market for a new car. Honda's been fine but whenever i turn in a side street with 10-20 mph my tires start squeaking and on those loopy freeway on-ramps i feel if i go faster than 25 mph my car can flip.

Getting close to 30 yrs old i thought to myself, why not get a bmw before settling down to an accrd again and enjoy the turning without fearing that i'll flip over 25 mph? And as for all bmw, they should be leased. So i thought to myself, if i lease for 2/3 years, i'll be back at March 2015 or 2016 and I'll have to "buy a car" again at that time....

all this time while my wife's 2006 scion TC will be 10 yrs old and if i buy a new accord at that time, pay for it 60 months her TC will be 15-16 years before she can get a new car lol...

So obviously the "logical and sane" choice would be to buy an accord now, get a 4 or 5 yr payment plan on it, then her scion would be roughly 11 yrs old and would be ok to get her a car at that time (instead of 16yrs old)

But my concern is: "but i've never really driven a bmw before and like to reward myself and have the freakin wheels not squeel and have nice corner turning!"

So i ask you, knowledgeable Edmunds members, what should i do? Should i get a EX-L v6 or something that will have the same driving experience as the bmw? or bmw too far above it?

Note: No 2 door/coupe allowed, No accesories really needed (no nav/moonroof/weird crap)

Because if getting a decked out honda will giving me the same driving exp as the bmw 328i base series, i might as well get the honda with lower price!

I know the 328i is a 4 cylinder engine, and so does the LX accord / lower end EX, would honda's v4 = bmw's v4? am i dreaming again?

Please help a fellow honda owner out!

lastly, is 2013's accord worth getting (first model of new cycle) or should i let them work out kinks and get the 2014 since it's march already??

Again, i sat the new honda last week and inside is nice! not knocking that, but want to know about the driving exp.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,424
    Your air pressure is low or you have [non-permissible content removed] tires on your car. thats question 1.
    Everything else is how much you want to spend and preference. Bmw is a tighter ride, better handling and will bounce around alot in the 328. Your a young man you may like that kind of ride. 328 is small
    If your starting a family save your money buy the new accord. Otherwise step up to the 5 series bmw better all around.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

I thought "better handling" = no squealing or no "feels like tipping/flipper over"?

But you're saying if i get better wheels i would have no squealing?

What about the ability to handle going on those circular free way on-ramps faster than "big-rig speed"? without feeling tipped over? Is that a bmw advantage?

can you comment on the 2013 vs 2014 choice? is there a need to avoid the first year of the model?

can anyone also comment on the equivalent on engine from the 2.0-liter, inline 4-cylinder engine on the bmw?? the Honda v4? Honda v6?

thanks!
  • mr_numbmr_numb Posts: 7
    edited March 2013
    The 6-speed gearbox is pretty great. Gates are clear and the throws are a good length. The stick itself is a little small, but I'm growing to like it quite a bit, actually.

The gearbox also offers some resistance if you try to put it in 1st at speeds higher than 20 mph, which I used to do on approach to something like a stop sign (clutch down, of course). This is probably a safety feature/quirk, but interesting nevertheless.

My previous MT car was a 5-speed VW Golf TDI which had "grabby" brakes and a gearbox with a very precise biting point. Fun to drive, though!

The clutch on the 2013 Accord Sport felt a little ambiguous at first (hard to tell the exact biting point), but I'm getting used to it now: it has a more consistent feel throughout the travel of the pedal. This also makes it very forgiving and means you can get away with being quite sloppy with your changes if that's your thing. Hill start assist also helps prevent the car from stalling if you don't give it enough gas.

I'm very happy with the manual transmission anyway!
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Posts: 163
    These cars are engineered and priced totally different to serve different markets. I can understand you soliciting opinions about the Accord vs other competing mid-size cars. We could add real value in helping you choose, but you are asking people whether they prefer apples or oranges. No doubt, there will be days I would like to zip around in a BMW and days where I would appreciate the utility of the Accord. Only you should decide what is best for you. There are people out there today trying to decide if they should go for the refinement of the Accord or the handling of the new Mazda6, or go for the cornering of a 328 or the stability of an Audi A4, but you are probably the only person deciding between and Accord and BMW today.
  • Hi folks, I am in the market for an EX-L V6 and wondered if anyone has gotten a good price from a good sales person in the Dallas area.

From reading the postings on this forum, it seems that a good price right now for EX-L V6 (w/out nav) is in the range of $27,300 to $27,800 PLUS Tax, Title and License.

Can anyone provide any specific examples of pricing in the Dallas area. Thanks very much!

The Geezer
  • I don't think darbebo is the only person cross shopping the BMW 328i and the Honda Accord v6. I looked very seriously at the 328i (and the Mercedies C250) but in both cars I could not get past the lack of power (or the sound) from the 4 cylinder engine. I would like to wait for the new Hyundai Genesis, but really need a new car now.
  • What is a good price range for a 13 accord coupe ex with.cvt.trann in new england.area? out the.door price?
    I wouldn't get the hyundai, but just very curious on the engine equiv for the 328i.

Also, the fact that Honda does NOT do white exterior with black interior excep tthe sport trim, just makes me mad.

Lastly, is having that "push start" button appear to you guys? because the sports trim does not have it ...wtf honda...
  • Regarding the push start button - I am a big fan. I currently drive a 2007 Lexus with that feature - the main benefit is that you don't need to get your keys out of your pocket - you just walk up to your car, open the door, and hit the button.

Every time I get into my wife's Sienna I find that, after I sit down, I have to fish around in my pocket for my keys. Awkward.

Is it a must have feature, no. Is it nice to have, YES.
  • jahbone9jahbone9 Posts: 2
    I just cut a deal for an EX-L 4cyl CVT for $27,000 OTD. This number includes taxes (Maryland 6%) and also the throwaways.....wheel locks, splash guards, etc.

I would think that $25,000 plus the VA 3% isn't out of the ballpark. However, I did try a dealer in Fairfax, VA and they wouldn't come lower than 28,343 6%MD included.
    From what I was reading on another forum, the 2013 suffers from wind noise on the passenger + driver side window, as if the sealant/foam wasn't tight enough esp when driving on freeway.

Does anyone have this problem?

And also, seems like this is the first year honda rolls out with CVT and people are suggesting to go get some warranty for the electronics failure down the road since this is their first model of the cycle.

Bigger question: Should we wait for 2014 model esp since it's only 3-4 months away?
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,424
    My EXL v-6 has no wind noise. This is my 5th honda. This Accord seems to be the best one yet. Honda did go cheaper on the front struts, why i dont know.

2014 model wont be out til late in the yr. The hybrid model might be out by summer.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• ziggy25aziggy25a Posts: 24
    Some clarifications to your post

If you read the discussion of the wind noise, it only affects SOME (not many) of the 2013's, and it is corrected by a published Service Bulletin at the dealer. Quite likely a fix has already been done at the factory by now, so that the dealers don't have to repair this for more recent factory output. So this problem, in time, should be a non issue.

Next you say that this is the "first year" that Honda has rolled the CVT. Honda has been making CVTs for many years with no major issues. This is the first year the CVT had been added to the Accord, but not for Honda, as you stated.

Lastly as the other poster pointed out, the 2014s are not 3-4 months away, but instead about 7 months away. When they come out, the pricing (as with any new model year) will initially be high.

The 2014's will undoubted have cars with their own minor correctable issues as well, which also will be discussed in forums later this year.
  • jatanjatan Posts: 92
    Getting a new car just b/c your car squeaks in turns? Seems like you're looking for an excuse to buy a new car =P

Most likely your suspension is worn out or the front strut bearings -- it could also be a ball joint or one of the control arm/sway bar/end link bushings

Have your car checked out first to see what actually needs to be done before going out and buying a new car...
  • okaniokani Posts: 20
    4 cylinder BMW 328 or 338 would kick butt off any V6 accord, I love the experience of BMW, but I can't afford having one long term so I bought 2009 Accord EX-L V6, replaced OEM tires (they were crap) on Ultra High Performance All Season Bridgestone, went plus 0 size from 225/50R17 to 235/50R17 - but believe me, I can only try to believe that it is the same handling and driving as BMW, but I know that any 4 cylinder BMW will pick up faster than Accord V6, I have same cornering and response due to my wider tires but loosing mpg because of that, and Accord still takes a second to pick up when you need to change lanes unlike BMW that does it right away, also when you have to make a stop, Accord tilts front and in BMW you seat unchanged, unless it is an emergency break. Remember, V6 will just give you a power to pick up and definitely will help to join highways, but won't give you the same acceleration as BMW. One day, when my kids will graduate a college - I'll jump back to BMW.
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Posts: 163
    darbebo, please start your own forum for your concerns. This is a Prices Paid/Buying Experience forum.
    Thanks
  • This is pretty savvy advice from Brian but, I would add Route 22 Honda & DCH Paramus. Weymouth gave me a slightly better price but, couple 100 miles away.
    I got the best TOTAL price for our Accord Touring in our region.
    Paragon??? Count your fingers afterward if you shake hands!
  • Are doc fee's really that high up north? Around here there only 120-150
  • I agree with you about the accessories, I wouldn't take a car with $700 in add-ons unless they were free or discounted quite a bit.

But those protection packages or the "first place finish" is great, I don't understand why everyone thinks it's so bad...the dealer isn't always out to get the customer. If you ever do ANYTHING to your fabric/leather,spill a drink,tear or rip the fabric, etc.(and we all do it) the dealership takes care of it! The same goes for your exterior paint. I hear so many people say that they like beige or gray interior but need to get black because of coffee or what their kids spill. The "first place finish", just like a warranty is $11 a month if your term is 60, its $10 and below if your term is longer.

I guess I'm just saying for that price when I buy a new car, which will be soon... I want that protection package