Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,040
    Yes you can Especially today.. Read prior posts and apply it to your deal.
    Prices can be found on Edmunds home page under new cars/ models.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• huskerfan5huskerfan5 Posts: 163
    Keep in mind, you just totally changed the economic transaction for the dealer. He was giving you $X for your Avalon, expecting to sell it for $X + $Y. You just took the profit of $Y out of the deal, so don't expect him to honor the $22,499. That's probably the reason why no one will match and the reason why the original dealer will give you some excuse why the $22,499 is no longer available.
  • 4myfamily4myfamily Posts: 16
    Mario, congrats

can you list the two dealers you worked with? Thanks !

All, please list the name of the dealer along withe price paid so we can all benefit.

Thank you!
  • 3amadors3amadors Posts: 10
    $22,499 w/o trade (if possible) and extra's the dealer is giving sounds really good. Before I got mine (exl w/nav) I was quoted $21.9 on the Sport. The warranty and accessories make your price very attractive. Good luck!

Mario
    Here are the dealers.

I ended up purchasing the car from Colonial Honda in Chesterfield VA.

1) Colonial Honda (Chesterfield, VA)

Price - $26,694.65
    Minus Flex Cash - $500
    Tot. Price of Car - $26,194.65

Plus -

Proc - $379
    Tax - $812.21
    Lic. Tax - $53.39
    Plates Fees - $60.75

OTD PRICE = $27,500

Second Dealer

Pohanka Honda, Fredericksburg VA

OTD Price Quote = $27,998
    (I didn't proceed negotiating because they were further away, but I felt they would have matched or bettered the price I paid by a bit.

PS - Pohanka was easier to deal with over the phone than Colonial Honda in my case (ask for Brenda).

Hope this helps!
  • rsvrrsvr Posts: 21
    Mario, Brian and huskerfan5,

Thanks for your replies. The dealership will still sell the car for $22,499 without the trade and that is how I negotiated initially. I will get with them on Monday and try to get it for $22,000. Don't know if that's the right thing to do, I think they are already pretty close to the best deal I have seen on this forum.

Mario,

I guess I'm in the same boat as you were. I prefer the dual exhaust, 18" wheels and paddle shifters in the sport but the EX-l offers quite a bit more features that I would like. Not sure which one to go with? May I know what made you go with EX-L instead of Sport?

Thanks!
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I agree that the sport has the wheels, a little extra horsepower due to dual exhaust and a slightly stiffer suspension and it was the trim I first looked at. What swayed me to the higher trim levels is that in the long run I would be happier with the extra features - better stereo, leather, moonroof, etc., plus the additional safety features were important to me (lane departure and front collision warning.

At all trim levels, Honda does offer a lot. I do the feel the Nav is overpriced, but this was offset alot by the price I paid for my car. PS- Pohanka also was offering a very good price on the EX-L.

FYI - Pohanka's quote to me on an EX-L CVT was $24,899 plus proc, tax and fees...that was before I decided on the one with NAV.

Eitherway, I think you'll be happy - this year's Honda is a really good product and value.

Best of luck!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,122
    I'm with you guys, that the Sport definitely has the look, but 2 things I love on the EX are the moonroof & lane watch.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Mario, Brian and huskerfan5,

Thanks for your replies. The dealership will still sell the car for $22,499 without the trade and that is how I negotiated initially. I will get with them on Monday and try to get it for $22,000. Don't know if that's the right thing to do, I think they are already pretty close to the best deal I have seen on this forum.

Mario,

I guess I'm in the same boat as you were. I prefer the dual exhaust, 18" wheels and paddle shifters in the sport but the EX-l offers quite a bit more features that I would like. Not sure which one to go with? May I know what made you go with EX-L instead of Sport?

Thanks!

You may find, come today, that since it is no longer the month of June, they are not going to not only negotiate more, but may not even honor the original price.

Read up on "buyng at the end of the month" and in tis particular case, timing is everything.
    edited July 2013
    Blue,

Very good points. If his numbers are 800 plus below invoice price dealership most likely will decline original offer. Lets hope not.

I tried to help Mike from Long island out with his Accord sport 6m. New Rochelle was at 600 below invoice with splash guards, and trunk mat, included on june 15th. Dealer told me that this car could be had june 30th for 800 below invoice depending on there sales numbers.. the 800 below would be Rochelle's Bottom line price. Today July 1st you could bet there asking price is back at 500 below invoice for some people and closer to invoice for most.

Hey Brian125 - I've actually been lurking here for a few weeks. I won't be making a purchase until next September (Most likely Labor Day Weekend). You are giving out some fantastic advice. One of the reasons it is so easy to negotiate a good price on Hondas (especially in high competition areas) is that you basically just pick your trim level, color, & transmission. There are no options so the cars are all the same.

I also think it is great that you are "in the neighborhood" and have a pulse on what's going on at the tri state dealers. I live in Stamford, CT & work in The Bronx, so I'm willing to travel to Westchester, LI, Rockland, or CT to get the best deal.

I believe that many times the "end of the month" for a car dealer (as far as their sales numbers go) does not correspond to the actual last day of the month. Sometimes an automaker will "hold" leasing and financing programs over especially in the case of Memorial Day, Labor Day, & 4th of July. For instance, June leasing & financing programs end 7/8/13. I also heard that new programs start on Mondays, so July incentives would run until August 5th.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• huskerfan5huskerfan5 Posts: 163
    Brian, my thoughts exactly when I saw the post but I figured I would let you take that one since it was right in your wheelhouse.
    nyccarguy, although the programs may work that way, the dealer sales rebates may be on a calendar month basis. Love to ask my old accounting professor whose firm had the accounts of most of the Long Island dealerships but unfortunately he is no longer with us.
    Thanks for clarifying!

• juliankryejuliankrye Posts: 51
    Hi,

In case this helps anyone out there, got a call from a local dealer here in North Jersey, and was surprised when I was told that they had Monday (today 7/1) as their last day of the month, and they were being over aggressive today with their prices. Person did mentioned this was due to being closed yesterday, however I am not sure if that has actually anything to do with it.

I wonder if month end will be extended till July 4th closes also?

Thanks,
    Julian
    edited July 2013
    This is how dealerships get over on people with incentives /rebates etc.

Dealer agree's to your 500 below invoice price. He is using that rebate to get to that number. your task when buying is to take his Hold-back and doc fee charge plus any rebates and incentives on top of that buying number. Alot of us buyers are not previe to Manufactor to dealer silent or hush money. We dont know what the dealerships bottom line is on that vehicle.. We gauge our prices from web sites like kelly's ,Edmunds, Consumer reports , MSN auto, Aol auto, , etc..

Here is the bigger question. I buy vehicle for 1200 below dealers invoice. with no rebates or incentives from Honda corp. Out of that 1200 below invoice price 700 dollars was taken from so called dealers hold-back for the car and his Doc fee charge. The question is how was he able to sell it for 500 dollars cheaper than what we know was dealers profit margin.. We dont know dealers bottom line price.. Thats why.

Since dealers have recieved FLEX cash...... if you read this board most post that people recieved 700 to 800 below invoice was from flex cash incentive added to deal.

Your letting dealerships get over on you. To many people cant negotiate a car to save there life. dealers know this. Months ago people were getting 700 to 1000 below invoice without any flex cash why is that.

Dealers sales incentive money runs out on the last day of the month if they cant meet there quota. There are no carry over's. Only rebates and incentives may. Big dealerships may hit there number sooner in the month. By calling many dealerships on the last days of any month or at the end of a sales quarter gives you the opportunity to buy that vehicle cheaper than earlier in the month. Dealers tend to play less games and are more inclined to nail down the sale at the end of the month.

i would not doubt dealerships have some kind of incentives to sell a certain amount of vehicles on President weekend, Memorial/ 4 of july, etc.

Just think........... the few of us in this forum knowing how and when to get the best deal possible,, Opposed to hundreds of thousands who get ripped off.

So holdback on Hondas is typically 2% of MSRP?

Absolutely 100% we'll never know the "true" cost of what the dealer paid for a certain car.

One of the reasons I like car shopping in NY is that "doc fees" are limited to $75 as opposed to CT which dealers call their doc fee a "conveyance fee." Like you said, if a buyer focuses on an OUT THE DOOR price, of Invoice minus holdback, minus incentives, minus $X + tax, then the doc fee should be irrelevant.

Brian,

I negotiated that deal during the 2nd week of last month. I just checked and it is still valid. But I just have decided to go with EX-L and my target price is $25K for EX or $26K for EXL with navi. What do you guys think about the price?

Thanks!
    edited July 2013
    The EXL 4

Invoice is 25,609 plus 790 dest/ charge = $26,399 none nav.

Invoice w/ nav= $27,433 plus 790 dest=..$28,223.

For me personally i think if you bought a Garmin Nuvi for under 200 dollars its better than the Honda Nav system. Save your money. Thats just me. Never liked the car nav's..

I have a 2012 MB , X-5 and i prefer to use my Garmin when i travel.

i think your numbers are off on the EXL 4 model. Above is your invoices. If dealer could del you the exl w/ navi, for 26k its a no brainer. Thats over 2k below invoice................ not happening.
    800 to 1200 below on either of your models plus incentives/ rebates would make for a great deal. This price would include figuring the dealers doc fee's into the price.

If dealerships doc fee's are 300 your sale price of the vehicle needs to be 1500 below invoice price to counter that charge. This makes your vehicle sale price $1200 below dealers invoice..

Good luck on your decision

edited July 2013
    Hi all, let me throw my two cents in. I got info from fighting chance.com that has a different way of getting to a fair price on a car. They'll provide info specific to each model plus general information on how dealer's make money. I didn't use their negotiating technique which has dealer's bidding for your business but instead, I was able to use some of the info to get a good price on my car.

One of the points they make is that a dealer could end up selling some car's at the end of the month at a loss in order to meet a mfr's number which would give the dealer a bonus from a mfr. that could be in the hundreds of thousands for sales within a certain period. For example a bonus may be $500K and if they took a loss of $100k to make the number's they are still way ahead. We will never know what these number's are. These bonuses can also be tied to dealer satisfaction ratings.

You can google fighting chance and they have some info posted that may help without having to buy the report which is $39.95 plus $15 for addtl. models.

Hope this provides some insight into why a dealer may take losses on some car sales. I'm curious to see what the feed back is from my post.

PS - I paid $26.2 for exl w/ nav before fees, I think that is something to shoot for.

Mario
    Thanks Brian and Mario! I'll shoot for that price.

Did you get any accessories for that price? mats, splash guards, wheel locks, tint etc.