Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,019
    edited July 2013
    Good idea, use a big note pad to write down pricing, dealers doc fee's and all car specfic's that you like from the different dealers you visit. If you could get the otd price out of dealers before you leave by all means. If you target 5 dealers tomm. Let each dealer know 1500 below invoice seals the deal today. Otherwise your visiting 4 more after you leave.

Unless the first few dealers give you your asking price visit all 5 first then decide.. Never rush into a deal you dont like,, or make a deal until you have negotiated with all your intended dealerships. Your target buying price is what gets the deal done that day. Next week is the best time to buy so if you walk out tomm you have several days to Re-negotiate with any dealers you visited .

Taxes and dmv fee's are set by the State so that info is not as important as
    Getting the make and model you want. Not overpaying for unwanted accessories added to some vehicles like splash guards, window tint, pin strip, rear deck lid, pro packs , weather protection packs, nitrogen in tires etc. Some of these features are nice but you buy them at dealers invoice cost if dealer wants your business. I think your ready!! You should be able to work a good deal.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• juliankryejuliankrye Posts: 51
    Hi bluemkn57cars, how is it going?

I was wondering how far you willing to drive to get that deal, it's about 1K less than the prices we have seen, however let me know (PM me) if you willing to drive to NJ, I can talk directly to a GM here.

Regards,
    Julian
  • time2timetime2time Posts: 4
    [Honda Accord 2013 EX Sedan I4 6MT]
    Two weeks ago I bought this car. Breakdown list as below.

Sales price: 20,900 (wash out flex cash. includes wheel lock and mud guard.)
    Paint coating (7 year warranty. I doubt it.): 530
    Destination: 780
    Doc fee: 500
    Tax: 4%
    Dealer tax: 40
    License fee: 70
    0.9% financing.
    State: East coast
  • Julian,

Thanks for the offer but I am not sure if I want to drive to NJ for only a savings of $1K. What is the final sales price currently being offered on the EX-L?

-Mike
  • user404user404 Posts: 17
    Where in NJ? I am shopping for EX manual.
  • juliankryejuliankrye Posts: 51
    Hi Mike,

Can't truly find out since I am not buying and my friend is also buying next month. The only way to find out is when you ready to negotiate for buying, that's from experience.

I think 24.5K on the EXL sale price is doable if you get lucky. Doc fee in NJ is generally 299 - 399, dealership I use is 299. Then you have tags and tax based on location.

User404, I am in Bergen County, North Jersey.

Thanks,
    Julian
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    "[Honda Accord 2013 EX Sedan I4 6MT]
    Two weeks ago I bought this car. Breakdown list as below.

Sales price: 20,900..."

This price is amazing. How did you manage that?

If I could get a price like that on an EX 6 MT, I'd be tempted.
    I emailed them about my target price.
    They called back, and I said my goal is to get 1K under invoice.
    The manager on the phone wished me luck and let me walk away.
    But sent me this offer after 20 mins.
    I thought I could cut down 500 more but I couldn't.
  • Wow, special thanks to whoever it was that said to check DFW. This is the quote i got at the Irving dealership!
    No Hassle E- Price $24,283.00

First TX Honda in Austin gave me $26,943 and when I countered (via email) they replied, 'No, We are a one price store....'

Have contacted my local Honda dealer and will wait for a quote from them. Have also asked for OTD price from Irving. I would have to spend $150 to fly there...driving logistics too difficult.

I intend to pay cash, or cash and some on credit card if they will allow. I read that I shouldn't let them know I'm paying cash...any other suggestions as I proceed?
    edited July 2013
    Your posted deal is confusing. The Ex 6m invoice with dest/charge is $23,307.

your sale price of 20,900 is........... 2407 below invoice.

Im assuming that i have to add the 500 doc fee and 530 paint protection onto sale price that would bring your deal to 1407 below dealers invoice. which would still be a great deal.

What does washed out flex cash mean?? was it applied to your sale price of 20,900

i hope you realize that after all vehicles are painted they apply a clear coat finish onto paint job to seal and protect the finish. This dealer is real slick.

please post dealers name and state your purchased

• Hi,

I have been shopping for a 2013 EX CVT for a few months now but want to get some confirmation on a realistic target price. Best I was quoted last month seemed ok but not great - $800 below invoice + $500 flex ($130 doc fee). My thinking on a good deal is at least $1000 below invoice + $500 flex. Is that still attainable? I'll most likely be buying in PA/NJ (Philly metro).

Thanks-
    Hank
    Brian,
    Sorry. I reworked my list as below. Destination should be $790.
    Numbers are rounded up to integer.
    Error is within $10.
    Paint coating is optional. I asked them to add it.
    Doc fee should be the dealer's margin source.
    I am on East coast.
    I don't want to reveal state and dealer's name to protect both sides.
    My buying strategy is based on your theory. (Thank you!)
    I believe the dealer still had good margin in this deal.

Base price: 22190 (includes wheel lock, mud guard, destination $790.)
    Paint coating (7 year warranty. similiar to Cilajet coating): 530
    Doc fee: 500
    Tax 4%: 23220 x 4% =~ 929
    Dealer tax: 40
    License fee: 70
    Flex cash: -500

OTD: 23759 (0.9 Honda financing.)
    Okay. I have zero knowledge in sales industry.
    My theory below is just a guess.
    Don't blame me if I am wrong.

My theory is this.
    We should always buy a car from a top salesperson.
    Why?
    I am guessing there is a bonus system behind them.
    Say, if a dealership rewards a big bonus to whoever sells 10 cars in a month, and this salesperson already sold 9 cars, won't he give you a good deal so he can get his bonus?

The next question is. How to find a top salesperson? Will he wander around the parking lot and greet people? Will other salespersons tell you who the top one is? Maybe, maybe not. Then how to find this guy?

My theory: email your best offer to the dealership. And the offer will very likely be reviewed by a manager. He will assign a top salesperson for your case.

Just my theory.
    edited July 2013
    Tks............................ Enjoy your new accord.

This is how you find the top salesman in the dealership.

1- His outfit is not up to date and his clothes are messy

2- Very bad breath from cigarettes and coffee

3- Very hyper

4- Tells you any deal is possible

• pgentpgent Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Has anyone bought an 013 exl v6 + navi accord sedan recently ? and what would be a fair price to pay ,I'm in NYC.

Pete.
  • nomer18nomer18 Posts: 1
    Hi, long time lurker, first time poster - so, sorry if I sound a little redundant like many other first time posters here .... I am in the market for a 2013 LX; yes, I am fully aware that the 2014s are coming out in mid-September-ish. Very possible that I might purchase these next few days (end of month deals!!)

So I have 4 Honda dealers that are within 13.5mi of me ... I haven't even gone for a test drive yet but will do so today or tomorrow, but have been driving nothing but (4) Hondas in the last 13 years, so my only tough decision would be exterior color.

Am I correct to start off by emailing each dealership's Internet/Fleet manager (or even the GM) stating:

- My target goal is $1,800 below invoice of $21,369 (guys, let me know if I should offer $1500 and not $1800)
    - Ask them what are your dealership's doc fees and if they have any incentives including the $500 Flex Cash?
    - Tell them I am looking to Finance (so it'll sway them to give me lower price) - I'm looking to finance around $11.5k for 48mo
    - Tell them I do not want to pay for Destination fees, only DMV + Doc Fees + Tax.
    - Tell them that I am already Approved for a loan from PenFed, unless their F&I want to match Penfed's rate
    - Tell them I do not need/want any extra accessories
    - Tell them I am ready to buy today and they only have 1 chance.

Please advise if I'm goin' about it the wrong way/too aggressive. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Nate
  • m123456m123456 Posts: 2
    Hi Nomer18,
    Your total price, including dealer fees(destination, doc, dealer prep, etc) s/b about 21k. Start negotiating at about $20K. Fairly soon they will clear out inventory for 2014 models. Ask for free oil changes for 3yrs and free wheel locks. Don't give any check or credit card until the price is finalized and credit check is done and financing is confirmed. If you give the dealer a check, and if you don't like the deal, and walk, good luck getting the check back. It can be a big hassle. Financing is currently .9% for 36 or 1.9% for 60 months, with good credit score.
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Posts: 163
    Even if you were correct in your assumption, and even if you knew who the top salesman was, and that he needs to sell 10 to get his bonus, how do you know that you’re not sale number 11? And the sales manager needs to approve the sale and he’s not going to approve your great deal just so the dealership can pay him a larger bonus.
    Think about it, the salesman who keeps on going to his manager with the deal $1,500 below invoice so he can sell a lot of cars is never going to actually sell a lot of cars because he’s going to be fired. The salesman who sells a lot cars and with a big profit is the tops salesman.
    In all probability, every salesman you deal with will get a piece of the commission so if you were met by a salesperson as you entered and asked to be given to another (unless you already had a name), your second salesman will not be motivated to deal with you since he would have to split the commission.
    Good try though.
  • fiona6fiona6 Posts: 9
    I finished my test drive today and didn't not seal a deal. I plan to buy next week. One question I have is that some of the new Accord I saw today are not as new as others, is this normal?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    Hey there Nathan! Welcome to edmunds. There's a STORIES FROM THE SALES FRONTLINES thread here on town hall where we'd love to hear some of your war stories.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation