Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• huskerfan5huskerfan5 Posts: 163
    In terms of resources, I suggest you take a look at gmanusmc and my posts in the leasing forum.
    In any case, since you lose everything you pay at signing if the car is totalled or stolen, I advise you to put everything into the lease (selling price/doc fees/lease inception fee/DMV fees/Sales tax) and get 36 equal payments.
    Check out the formula for calculating the monthly lease amount so you can keep the dealer honest.
    I see everyone is telling you to negotiate the sales price but I think you already knew that.
    Good luck
  • parislparisl Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Subaru Forester that is in fine working order, but I'm
    looking to switch to a sedan. I've had good experiences with Hondas in
    the past, so somewhat reflexively have been thinking of an Accord, and
    have been considering the 2011/2010 years, for purchase. My aim is to
    have whatever car I get for ten years or more. Generally it's going to
    be just for the work commute, which is not long. I get my cars
    serviced religiously, don't do any work on them myself.

My aims:
    1. Safety is #1 by a wide margin
    2. Reliability (minimum lost time for unscheduled work on the car) is #2
    3. Overall costs of ownership/lease, use and maintenance/repairs is #3
    (things like terminal/resale value belong in here)
    Nothing else really matters to me.

Questions:
    1. When would you go for lease versus purchase? When does leasing make sense, in general?
    2. Is there a sedan which has better prospects for safety and
    reliability than the Honda Accord that I should consider?
    3. How to get the best deal - looking for strategy and tactics
    4. Is it better to get a new car or used car (balancing aims #2 and #3)
  • Hi BlueMKN,

I know it's been a while we're back and for on the EXL CVT pricing, where are you with pricing right now, what's the lowest OTD you have received?

The reason I am asking is we're about to settle for my friend tomorrow, at 27.450 OTD, sale was about 2K less with tax, doc and DMV, less flex came to 27,450.

Brian, I think the 24.5K sale price was by far a strech, even at 25K very few offers. I was aiming for 27K OTD on the 2013 EXL CVT Accord but no luck I guess this time.

Tomorrow we're going to the dealer, and going through with this. Comments??

Thanks,
    Julian
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,424
    edited August 2013
    Buying a new car is one of the worst investments one can make. A nice Luxury it is. With depreciation values, wear and tear ,repairs over the coarse of yrs its not a good investment . Buying a 3 yr old model would make the most sense financially. Honda has a great reputation on quality, build, resale value.

Check out edmunds home page on lease vs buying. everybody has a different take on it. Whether you buy new or used again its your choice. Its always nice to buy new. Can i afford a new car is your question. You cant lease a vehicle for 10 yrs.

Good luck.. check out consumer reports for reliable models over the years.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

edited August 2013
    why are you giving us otd.. give me Invoice price on that model and how much below your at. i think i posted earlier your numbers were off or to low.

why are you in such a rush to close tomm????????????

wait til friday or sat

• suydamsuydam Posts: 924
    Hondas don't depreciate much so you may find that a new Accord may make more financial sense, especially a 2013 just as the 2014s start to come in. You will get better financing too. The 2013s are also a huge improvement with a lot more features even on the base model LX than previously.
  • Sale price 25590 for the 2013 Honda Accord EXL Sedan CVT. Person that is buying won't be available after Thursday as they going away for the weekend.
    Thoughts, thoughts please?
  • Brian, I will disagree with you a little bit here due to the following:

Last year I was looking to buy a certified Honda and the price wasn't that much lower due to low depreciation, and the interest rate was much higher compared to the new car purchase. That combined with the new car offers, and being anew car, I went with the new car purchase. Over 10 years, like the prior speaker said, I think it makes much more sense to buy a new car and have piece of mind. that was me in any case, I am sure you can make a different argument as well. Julian
    your buying at 809 below invoice..

26,399 is invoice w dest charge.

What area is this. What thoughts are you looking for. If you contacted your targeted dealerships and thurs is the buying deadline for your friend make the deal. Minus the dealerships doc fee's off that 809 number and thats where your at for sale price.

You make good points i agree. That post is all over the map with new, used, lease. Sounded to me he was leaning for a used.

i did not know what to make out of that post. LOL

edited August 2013
    You make good points i agree. That post is all over the map with new, used, lease. Sounded to me he was leaning for a used.

i did not know what to make out of that post. LOL

Pre certified Accord lx............. 2010
    $11,980
    $12,900
    $13,200

You would be saving 10 to 11 k off the original sale price buying a 3 yr old Accord.

please note the new Accord is so much better than previous model yrs.

If you go from point A to point B you might not care about updated features.

• JulianKrye,

I have followed Brian's and other forum contributors advice.

I emailed about 7 dealerships this week. I have narrowed my list down to 3 dealerships who appear to be at more than $1000 below invoice. I am still trying to get more detailed information from a couple of dealerships about their sale price and flex cash. What I have noticed so far is that some internet managers do not always check their email and internet reps think all prospective buyers are not aware of flex cash. I will explain.

I was initially quoted a very low sales price by one dealership (at more than $1300 below invoice) and then when I inquired about flex cash, they stated it was included in the sales price. So I came back and stated my buy price for today was at $1500 below invoice plus $500 flex cash for financing through Honda. I told the internet rep to forward the deal to his manager. I plan to make some calls on Friday morning to those internet sales manager and close the deal that day, if I do not hear from them before then.

I will be out of town this weekend, so I am hoping to close a deal by Friday morning at the latest. If I can buy at $1400 below invoice with flex cash and my color combination, I will make the deal. Worse case, I will by soon after labor day.

A few things I have learned and noticed so far:

1. There are fewer and fewer color choices to pick from for the 2013 EX-L I4 sedan. At least one dealer out of the 3 I am working with has my color choice. One dealer was going to charge me $100 to get the car from another dealer.
    2. Documentation fees are around $298 (I am not even going to try and negotiate that).
    3. Some dealers like to quote a sales price with flex cash included, so do not play dumb. Make sure you make them list the sales price without any incentives.
    4. If you can wait till September to buy, then start scouring dealer lots right after labor day and make sure the color combination you are looking for is available.
    5. Brian's tips do work but I've had to use some of my own tactics.

Once I have a deal finalized, I will post the dealership name, and my final numbers.

All I can say is that buying a car has been a learning experience.

Anyone else in MA buying at the end of the month? Post your numbers if you have already made the purchase and provide some info about your deal.

Thanks,
    Mike
    blue

You must be dying reading some of these pricing posts. In Chicago land your model almost 1700 below invoice. here on the East Coast dealers are fighting tooth and nail and adding flex cash to help themselves..

Stay the coarse you have 3 days alot will happen in those 3 days.

• I will be okay, Brian. As you have said before it is all about supply and demand, and your location.

Maybe in a month's time, MA dealers might be at $1500 below invoice for the EX-L but who knows whether Flex cash might still be available at the end of the month.

I am not going to budge until Friday. I will keep you updated.

One last question, after closing the deal how do I convince the dealer to throw in free wheel locks and all weather mats? Should I tell them I will give them a positive customer review?
    edited August 2013
    When you going for the jugular dont complicate this deal anymore with accessories.

Wheel lock are on all EXL models dont sweat that its a freebee.

After you wrap up your deal friday ask the dealer if he will match the price of accessories from College hills honda or Cheap honda parts. for what ever items you want to add to vehicle............................................ Best prices on the web

All weather mats $104............ dealer cost $142
    Wheel locks ............36................dealer cost $10

• jcrashjcrash Posts: 4
    I keep seeing invoice price mentioned. I've been to truecar.com and I don't see an invoice price, I see a sticker price, a price paid, and a truecar price which is what they guarantee you can buy at.

Where do I find this invoice price?
  • I am from Boston metro west area. So far I had identified couple of dealers just below 25k mark selling price for EXL model. One with 24.9k and other with 24.8k. I am not taking the honda finance since they are charging high interest rate for my case, so i have my approved finance from other credit union.

I had let them know my target price is 24.4k for immediate deal, but they are not budging. Not sure if i would be able to strike it at 24.6k.

Has any body got the deal below 24.7k (just car selling price) so far in Boston or Boston metro west area? Please let me know, this helps understanding where i should be on my target price.
  • 93139029313902 Posts: 4
    Is Flex Cash available for every dealer? Or is it just certain dealers?

Looking to buy a EX-L in Omaha, NE this weekend and want to have the best info available. If anybody has purchased one locally, please provide your experience.

Thanks
  • mahlerbonemahlerbone Posts: 4
    edited August 2013
    You need to look further down on the main page. You will see the box with the graphic relating to the various prices paid by people for the car, and what constitutes the "TrueCar Price".

Below that you will see a line graph showing a history of the average price for the car across several months.

BELOW THAT you will see a grid of information, and you will see the first column is labeled "Factory Invoice" and the first row labeled "Base". The cell where those two meet is the factory invoice, before destination charge.
  • Flex cash is not necessarily available at all dealers, and not all dealers are willing to put flex cash towards just any model.

I started by soliciting email quotes for the specific model I wanted. This got me a good idea of price, but also for which dealers had flex cash to throw around. A couple mentioned in their emails that they had flex cash available, and the price they quoted did not include any.