Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience



  • Thanks Ken for the recommendation! I checked out Earl Stewart on Cars and lam learning a lot of things to understand & watch out for.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,408
    edited September 2013
    Dealer hold back is 2% of base msrp. $ 559 seems about right not 989.

    First off moesbo relax it is only Sept 18th do not rush this deal.. Sit back and wait a week before you start negotiations up again. At the End of this month is the 3rd quarter end for car companies and most likely you will get the best deal last 2 days, last day of this month. Play the game!!!! you have 3 dealerships that are close in price. Make your best deal with one of them.

    Your problem is you have a 2014 model vehicle with alot of added accessories if i read correctly.

    Dealer A........ it seems you have lost leverage with him. You are going about negotiating the wrong way with him which will lead to a no sale from him.

    When you negotiate a deal in the middle of the month its best to leave dealer with ......... this is my price to buy right now.... think it over, call me if you want this sale. i would mention your considering traveling out of state if no local dealers meet your price .... then wait til end of the month to re start negotiations.

    At the end of the month if dealership is saying this is my bottom line moe you either take it or leave it.

    Dealer A- has vehicle with splash guards, window tint, door edge, truck mat. paper pin stripe, regular mats are included in price.
    Dealer A- knows for a fact he could herb out that vehicle to a walk in store buyer thats clueless on price. He has the upper hand and leverage on you. Wait til the end of the month to get some pricing leverage back.

    2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

  • Is there anyone out there getting below invoice price that can share the name of a dealer in NY area? Does it pay to wait a couple of weeks for inventories to rise?
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,408
    yes... pricing in NY is not good right now.

    2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

  • I want to say thank you to this forum that provide so much valubale info to me in the last two months. Almost every morning in the last month I always check the new message here to educate myself.

    I bought the 2013 Honda Accord EX 4 door sedan tonight at New Rochelle Honda. I may not be be getting a good deal like others did ... but I learn a lot of technique, fees (destination, doc fees, flex cash ... OTD etc) that I should be aware of during the shopping process.

    Car price: $23,100 with destination included.
    tax 8.875% $2,050
    doc fees $75
    plus DMV fees ??? (will know on Saturday when I pick up the car)

    The price also include wheel lock, trunk tray and one oil change. I try hard on the weather floor mat but they can't. I pay cash so no flex cash for me.

    This dealer by far has no pressure on asking me to buy other stuffs. They just give me info and their price on other stuffs like extended warranty and Lo Jack.

    I have been visiting, email, phone calls and contact so many NYC Honda dealers in the last two weeks. I am glad the search is over.

    I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey for over 10 years now and we are very happy with it. I hope the Accord will bring us joy for the next ten years to come.

    Thank you all.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,408
    edited September 2013
    New Rochelle always takes business away from the bad dealerships here in New York........... dealers like...... PLAZA, and Paragon honda who B.S. and play to many games.

    I'm glad you checked them out.


    2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited September 2013
    To add to Brian's point, since you are already getting a great sale price with your USAA discount, dealer A knows he is not going to be making much money off you. That's why he mentioned the dealer holdback just to confuse you and make you think you are getting the best deal.

    You can read more about dealer hold back here:

    Keep the lines of communication open with all dealers and then name your price at the end of the month.

    For future reference, if you plan to reach out to more dealers make sure they list the price of all the accessories and dealer add-ons separately.

    Good luck.
  • You should check out the Honda Accord Lease Questions Forum:

    Fyi, stating the monthly payment is of no help to anyone without providing the sales price of the car that was used to calculate the lease payment, and also proving the fees that were included in the calculations.
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited September 2013
    Read up some of my previous posts such as #31033 and apply some of the advice provided:

    Although Honda is not offering any flex cash on 2014 models, you might be able to get a good deal at the end of this month.

    Did you try getting internet quotes by going to some of the dealer websites? If dealers ask you to come into their dealerships, put them on the spot and ask for their BEST PRICE that would entice you to buy a car today. If the dealer still wants you to come in, hang up the phone and move on to the next one.

    On the other hand, if the dealer takes the bait and names his/her price over the phone, make sure you get all that info in writing with their OTD price listing the following info:

    1. Sales price of the car without any incentives
    2. Dealer doc fees (I believe they are capped at $75 in NY)
    3. Title and registration fees
    4. Any incentives?
    5. OTD price

    There are few forum contributors who have bought cars in NY recently. Just search some of the previous posts for the names of dealers who are prepared to offer the best price.

    After you have gathered all the info you need and are ready to buy the last 2 days of the month, when reaching out to dealers you should say something on the lines: I will buy today for $XXXX below invoice. It will put the ball in their court and show that you are a serious buyer.

    Good luck.
  • You could have financed the car and taking advantage of the $500 Flex cash and paid it off after making a few payments.

    Congrats on the purchase and enjoy your new car.
  • brian125,
    Thank you. You've helped many people here and hopefully i will be able to get my car soon. I will wait until inventory rises in NY.
  • Bluemkn57cars,
    Will do as you suggest and reach a few more dealers. Thank you for the great advice. Month end is approaching fast and will be ready to lock up.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,408
    edited September 2013
    You are in a good position to Negotiate with many dealerships and wait til you get YOUR target price. Bluecars.... has posted first hand knowledge and real time buying experience with his purchase last month. He played the game to the T and he secured a very good deal. Read thru this board and make notes and write down all dealerships that people recommend with good pricing / no games or drama with dealerships. These are the dealerships you may want to target if they are in your driving range..

    Your advantage is you do not need to buy this month. Here is my suggestion.
    read my prior posts, 30550,30558,30575, 30642, 30660, 30682,30723, which ever one talks about contacting dealerships on line thru internet managers read and apply it... Start your negotiation process on the 2nd to last day this month ending all negotiation with meeting your price to buy the last day of sept..
    NY/ NJ is not selling like other area's.
    If you email/ call as many dealerships as your willing to travel you just may get 500 below invoice price this month. Sept ends the 3rd quarter for all car companies dealerships looking for sales numbers will deal alot cheaper than earlier in the month.
    If pricing is not where you want to go........... wait til next month.

    There is no need to step foot into any dealership unless you agree on a selling price and verify all otd charges. Sit in the comfort of your house and see what dealers are willing to meet your price. The reason buying this way works is You are putting each dealership on the spot that moment telling them i buy right now for this price. No game playing , No BS, Its Yes or No, or A Small COUNTER OFFER from that dealership. You have the buying leverage on these days.

    You have nothing to lose this month and alot to gain if you find those dealerships selling at months End..............Good luck

    2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

  • gil123gil123 Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    Thanks again for the input.

    I've gotten several competitive quotes, hovering about $1700 below invoice for the 2013. I could probably haggle another $100-$200. It's in the range of what I'm willing to pay.

    Inventory feels low around here. I have a lot of dealerships, but it feels like most have only a handful of cars. It's hard to say since I don't know their stock, but most places mention having only 2-3 colors available (I'm agnostic on color).

    It's turning out that my end-of-month will be very busy with work. Based on all of this, do you think it's worth waiting until the end or just buying right now? If waiting saves me only $200, then it won't be worth it due to a lot of reasons. But if the wait could yield about $400, then I could wait. What do you think? I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger even though the spreadsheet geek in me wants to wait.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,408
    edited September 2013
    AT 1700 below invoice dont risk losing your model/ color. End of the month may not get you anymore off that already good price due to his limited stock.

    Post after you buy your deal with city/ dealerships name.

    Good job Gil

    2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

  • Thanks for the reply. I've still got a little more work to do, but will definitely post after I get the car.
  • Gil,

    Are you getting any flex cash? Are you getting your first choice of trim and color?

    I am sure you have done your homework, and I hope you have taken into account dealer doc fees when negotiating the best deal.

    Good luck.
  • misterscmistersc Posts: 22
    edited September 2013
    I'm going to take a break and start 2nd to last day of Sept. per your suggestion. Thus far, i've contacted 6 or 7 dealers without a single one even coming at invoice price and no one going below. There just isn't any inventory. I'm wasting a lot of time and one dealer was even sarcastic saying you want below invoice on 2014 and i said with a straight face, yes. He was annoying claiming he didn't know what Flex cash was and I called him out on it. He then went on to say no flex cash on 2014 models. I will research the other posts and contact the more preferred dealers but wait until end of month as it doesn't appear any ny dealer looking to negotiate on my terms at the moment. i also have my bmw to trade in which i'm sure they will look to low ball to make some money on the other side of the transaction.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,408
    edited September 2013
    Invoice price on a 2014 might be the best we could do right now in our area for Sept. You may find alot of dealers want 500 above plus. You dont know to you make the calls. This is how you determine your area's market price.. Time is on your side. keep us post in NY/ NJ area.

    2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

  • rogoniterogonite Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    20625 + TTL at Norm Reeves Cerritos. Undercut Huntington Beach by $75. Honda World wanted 21,000 but went down to 20,800 after long negotiation.

    Honda World... They were scummy. Avoid. I bought a 2013 10 months before and they were fine, but man...

    Cerritos was a very straight-forward process. No haggling, lowest price in the area. I'm going to them from now on.
Sign In or Register to comment.