Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Congratulations on your purchase.

You did not say whether there was any flex cash offered or available.
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited December 2013
    I live in MA. I bought a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L 3 months ago. At the time, most dealerships were quoting about $800 - $1000 below invoice. Even the high volume dealers such as Herb Chambers and Boch Honda were over priced. Most did not have any flex cash available. I was able to negotiate a sweet deal of $1400 below invoice plus $500 flex cash from Honda Cars of Boston. I dealt directly with the internet manager.

Some forum contributors in the DC area were posting better deals but only a few hundred dollars less. It was not worth my time, and me driving back and adding all these miles on my new car.

To each their own.
  • I was told by a Honda dealer that Hond Finance charges a $75 fee if you pay off your loan before 6 months. the $500 flex cash is not affected. Is this correct
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,024
    That is a dealer Lie.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• deodingdeoding Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    CT market is known tough, so I was amazed when I saw aaloke83's EX-L deal. Actually I just bought my EX from the same dealer for $23,200 + $399 fee + $178 Reg + Tax. Not as good as his EX-L at $24,900, but not too bad. Actually the Maryland top dealer is offering me $23,000, maybe little lower if I really pushed hard, but my dealer is close by, thus save me time to drive to MD.

At the end, was tricked for the $199 VIN Etch fee. They told me it was already etched on the glass, so can not be removed. I found out later it can be waived by CT law, but too late. One good thing is that dealer help me find 1.34% via Well Fargo for 60mo, a little lower than what Honda is offering.

Again, if I had waited one more day, I should have got better deal by reference to aaloke83's file.

Thanks aaloke83 and everyone here sharing the information. I love my EX so far, driving 29mpg and 27mpg on the 16miles winding back road to work.
  • adamr1adamr1 Posts: 28
    Interesting post Brian, I haven't been on the forums for a while. My perspective as I have told others who I have helped is that it is all a game. The dealer is out to make as much of a profit as possible...period. I am in NJ and don't recall ever seeing a Honda dealership here going out of business. So they must be doing well.

I actually enjoy the game of car buying. In some ways I wish it wasn't a game, but if it wasn't then we would all be paying the same price. In today's game, some people pay much higher, and I pay much lower. So the law of averages comes in and the dealer still makes a profit. I have no interest in whether a dealer should make a profit, or what it costs them to be in business, blah blah blah. I want a car and I want to pay the least amount possible for it.

That is the same for most people. It just happens that the car buying industry has created this complex game.

Did anyone stop to think about that black friday item they bought, thinking that it was sold at or below cost, and felt bad for the store selling it? No, everyone wants to pay the least amount for an item. But with most other things there isn't much negotiating room. Cars are the exception. So I try not to take it personally on the games dealers play.

I have bought 6 honda over the years, and I used 6 different dealers. Each time the game is played the buyer learns more and can get better at it. I am still made at the stupid window etching fee they stuck in my finance papers a while back. That won't happen again!
  • adamr1adamr1 Posts: 28
    Of course the dealers will say that. If they told the truth, then everyone would want to buy at true cost. The more smoke they throw up, the more they confuse the average person. People on this forum are not the average car buyer. So of course you say you know it is all BS. But I don't believe most people do.

A dealer is out to sell a car with a profit. They rarely if ever lose money on a sale, but there are times they come close to breaking even. Many dealers don't want to sell a car without a profit You just have to find the dealer who is willing to sell the car near the cost.

The current Accord I am driving I found the same stories when buying. I found that dealer willing to sell the car near cost. All the other dealers said there is no way he will produce the car at that price. They were wrong, and I bought the car. But it isn't always easy to find that dealer. That is where the work comes in to find them.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,024
    edited December 2013
    Yes interesting and true. Isn't it nice to know you help someone save hundreds if not over 1k for a new car purchase.

Knowing how and when to buy. Having a target price, getting many dealerships involved, cutting out the middle man, helps when you play the game right. This will result in you making the best deal possible in your area..

When you guys learn how to get the internet managers to fax you the buyers order for the sale that day makes .............. alot of that extra add on nonsense stop. Not all dealers will do a fax order buy. Especially dishonest dealerships they want you in that showroom.. The Dealerships that do makes this process a wonderful buying experience. All out of state purchase should be done this way.

You read from time to time in these forums how somebody did a fax buy and picked up vehicle a few days later. Read the details of the sale usually very smooth sale and pick up. these dealerships usually sell cars and tend to be more on the honest side of pricing.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• ken117ken117 Posts: 179
    Not true. The dealer F&I manager will likely lose any dealer reserve he may have attained via the financing if you pay the loan off within six months. Just one more example of why consumers should never rely on statements from anyone at a dealership.
  • ken117ken117 Posts: 179
    While I do not always agree with Isell, he is correct. Buying a new vehicle is truly not difficult nor complex. There are three main areas: price, trade, and financing. All these areas should be thoroughly researched and a purchase plan identified before engaging in negotiations with a dealer.

If your numbers are realistic, a dealer willing to sell can almost always be found. Worrying about an extra couple of hundred dollars is silly.

And in all cases, the buyer is not negotiating with the sales person. Rather the negotiation is with the sales manager.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Wow - someone who actually talks a little common sense.

Good points ken

Bill G
  • If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2013-14 Honda Accord, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 13, 2013, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, December 11, for a copy of the survey.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thank you deoding. Reading through the forums helped me learn the various incentives and negotiating tactics available & probably helped me negotiate a good deal. Thank God I didnt believe Truecar!

If anyone else in and around CT is looking for a good deal on 2014 EX-L 4cyl sedan CVT, let me know & I can provide necessary details.
  • bethpabethpa Posts: 20
    The Wall Street Journal had an article saying Honda Nov sales were off so they are bringing a December dealer incentive for $3000 per car for any deal who increases their Dec 2013 over Dec 2012 sales. It is capped at $60,000 or 20 cars.

I guess the trick is to come in at the end of the month and see which dealers are in need of some sales. Assuming you leave some for the dealer any new car sold over their Dec 2012 numbers have higher profit for the dealer. I'm not sure if this would also include Flex cash.

I'd target invoice plus $2500 to start and see what happens. It all depends on the actual dealer and their ability to beat last December's sales. And this is on all Honda cars from what the article stated. The actual terms might be different than what was reported. I hope this helps someone who is shopping.
  • neil_hneil_h Posts: 11
    "I'd target invoice plus $2500...."

Not sure if I understand this correctly....I am in Atlanta and looking to purchase a 2014 EX-L CVT. Since the invoice price is $26,650 should I be looking for the dealer to sell the car for $24,150 (or did I misunderstand the $2500 number).

If anyone in Atlanta has purchased the above model recently and can provided specific recommendations, I would appreciate it. Thanks for all the useful posts in the forum.
    Bethpa - are you able to post a link?

Thanks, Bill G
  • bethpabethpa Posts: 20
    Here is the link to the WSJ article. I am not sure if it will be available to non-subscribers.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303722104579239983004270504

http://www.autonews.com/article/20131205/RETAIL/131209903/honda-offers-dealers-c- ash-if-december-sales-top-2012-levels#axzz2miNbkCdw

I have no idea what a dealer will do with this incentive but I think it completely depends on the individual dealer's situation. Maybe they give up some of the $3000 to help sell the car. Read the article and it may give everyone some additional information when negotiating for a Honda this month.
    edited December 2013
    Thanks - you're right - only subscribers can see the whole article but you can see enough to get the gist - might be some great deals to be had this month.

Bill

Wow - just read that second article you linked - this sounds promising indeed.
  • Oh, sure, the 26,000 flat was just the car price. The additional fees were that silly $399 dealer conveyance fee (even consumer reports could not get that negotiated down....they test their cars in Connecticut). The only other fee was the doc fees for registration, which since I transferred plates, was a about 110. I didn't include the 6.35 per cent Connecticut sales tax as it won't be apples to apples for most folks. Oh, I didn't complain about the Goodyear assurances I got v. The michelins...however, if it means someting to you, negotiate on the tires too.

Btw, getting rusted plates off an old car is one of those things in life like a prostrate exam. I should be smart and try to get a stainless steel screw set, if they are even sold.

Good luck to all. I'm happy to be back in a Honda.
  • Sure, no I didn't get offered any flex cash (student, etc).