Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,408
    edited December 2013

flatfeet

Your looking at 3400 below invoice. probably not be obtainable. dealers may go up to to 3k below invoice with a incentive plus taxes, tags , and doc fee charge. You want tax included in that 15k deal never never gonna happen..... Your 15k cash means nothing to them. dealers get paid whether you buy or finance the vehicle. If a dealer has many 2013 civic's on his lot you stand a better chance of getting a lower price..... with just a couple of civic's on dealers lots means pricing wont be as good.. Supply and demand.. Your best bet is to buy that 2013 model next year jan,2014. Now your buying a 1 year old model vehicle ................... your 3400 offer might be entertained.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• Brian, I found in a prior post where you answered my question to you about the doc fee (Sorry. I really dislike this new Edmunds format). I'm still curious as to your thoughts about whether it is worth contacting dealerships that do not appear to have the exact model (color) in stock that would be my preference. If I were to not do so, it would significantly reduce the number of potential dealerships.

• lil_owllil_owl So-CalPosts: 47
    Have any of you heard of being made to get a back up loan?

Once our credit union is faxed the sales agreement they overnight a check. I was told yesterday that the dealer would not hold the car while waiting for the check (well the CU won't cut the check without a sales agreement and VIN) and the dealer won't let us have the car for 10 days until the check clears. Seriously?!?

This sounds really fishy to me as they could easily verify with the bank the approval and check.....and just a ploy to get a loan through them.
    edited December 2013
    Newbie tip:

Make sure your dealer letter includes all of the car info you are looking to buy such as that it is an automatic. A dealer was going to match my quote but used the "it doesn't clearly state automatic or CVT so it must have been for a MT which is cheaper" card. (Yes, obviously because that IS the more popular one).

So lesson learned. They will go through the letter with a fine-tooth comb and find anything they can as a way to not honor their word.
  • If you are shopping in Norcal as I am, definitely stay away from HONDA OF CONCORD. I got the complete bait and switch there yesterday. Of course, it's still not the last day of the month, so they are still lying and cheating. The 31st seems to bring more truth to the table ;).

Either way, avoid Honda of Concord.

edited December 2013
    @zigster38

Thanks for the tip. I am in SoCal and the dealer I would avoid down here is Sierra Honda in Monrovia. Shenanigans galore. They pulled the "salesman didn't properly read your email and didn't have the authority to agree to that low price" which changed to "there was a misunderstanding between the salesman and the manager." Really?!? Things were pretty spelled out and in black in white on my end.
  • ctr123ctr123 Posts: 7
    edited December 2013

Glen,

Which credit union did you get loan. I am not much aware of where to get cheaper loan, if honda financing doesnt work out. could you plz share details.

• Question regarding contacting dealerships by email. Should I get the email of the internet managers and send an email to them directly or is it sufficient to use the "get eQuote" button on the various websites and follow up by telephone if I do not get a response?

• @lil_owl said: So even though I had a email quote in writing including a base price and an out the door price stating very clearly by them the price included destination and NO accessories needed to be purchased (and in my portion no incentives) it was NOT honored. Not only did the car have accessories but they expected the financing to go through them also....so our agreed upon price for the EX went from 21,500 to 23,000. Needless to say we walked.

Which dealer is this? It is Spreen Honda?

No it was Sierra Honda.
  • naazimnaazim Posts: 17

Why is buying a Honda like pulling teeth? I'm getting sick of all the BS the Honda dealers are full of. Making another attempt to deal on a 2014 EX-L CVT for $27,300 OTD this evening.

@naazim

I am feeling your pain...it's like I have a full time job trying to claw my way out of a shark tank. I'm thinking of giving it a rest today while I compile more email addresses....give a few some time to reconsider my offer before I email them again as well as others. (This time I will be sure to include the words automatic and CVT as to avoid any additional "confusion").
  • @lil_owl said: naazim
    I am feeling your pain...it's like I have a full time job trying to claw my way out of a shark tank. I'm thinking of giving it a rest today while I compile more email addresses....give a few some time to reconsider my offer before I email them again as well as others. (This time I will be sure to include the words automatic and CVT as to avoid any additional "confusion").

Same here. I been getting so much emails and calls lately. One dealer agree to offer me $1,800 off invoice but never confirm the price. He just said that is a reasonable offer and never really stated any price. He keeps insisting that I come down to the dealer and see him and he will get me a good deal. So I do plan on going there just to check it out for the heck of it. If he plays any game within the first 30 minutes, I will just walk. The dealer is only 10 minutes from my house so the worst that can happen is wasting 40 minutes. The next best offer I got was $22,875 from a dealer 30 minutes away (Norm Reeves Cerritos) so I will just go there if the first dealer doesn't work out. I am still waiting for a reply from Spreen Honda also. I have until the 31th to get the best possible deal. May I ask why you didn't buy from Spreen Honda?

• glenglen Posts: 17
    edited December 2013

CTR123,

Navy Federal Credit Union. I also got a snail mail from Travis Credit Union w/same deal/terms after I bought. These credit unions work cool. The Honda dealer said it was very smooth. The CU cuts you a check within 24hours, take it to a car dealer of your choice. Finance manager then calls 800 # for a code for the check. You are not locked to a car VIN, model, manufacturer.

I would take your 20,100 deal. IMO you have reached the point of diminutive return for effort! Is it the color you like? I could have saved a 100 or so but the car would have been silver. Wife didn't want another silver car.

@johnnguyen714

Just trying to get the best deal possible :) Spreen is still in the running!
  • @lil_owl said: johnnguyen714
    Just trying to get the best deal possible :) Spreen is still in the running!

Yeah me too. I am emailing more dealers, because Spreen is over an hour drive from where I am located at. I still have 3 days so I hope I can get it at $1,800 or more off invoice. If not I will probably just go with Norm Reeves.

• Bought an EX yesterday.

Sale price about $1000 below invoice (just a few dollars shy of $1000) We also got flex cash and new grad discount, for an additional $1000. They applied that to our down payment.

No unexpected tricks. Got price by email. Went to dealer. Selected a color - we were undecided, and needed to see them in person side-by-side. Then we spent a couple hours getting it all done. We didn't send documents electronically, so we were starting from scratch with credit application, etc.

Trade was evaluated. We took it home, rather than accept their offer.

No hard-sale on warranty or extra things like paint protection. They were offered, but there wasn't any pressure or even more than a few sentences said about them.

Very happy at about $1000 under invoice (and another $1000 in extra discounts). It doesn't seem to be a very competitive market compared to some locations, but I'm satisfied with our purchase.

7.5 years ago, during last car purchase, I asked dealers for best price using internet contacts. They answered, I asked all of them to "beat the best price" and did that for a few rounds.

This time, after getting several emails with prices, I went and offered a much lower price, offering to "buy now" and was accepted by one dealer. The others told me "we already gave you our best pricing" or other such comments. But all it took was 1 dealer to save me $600. I liked this way better. I feel very good about it. Perhaps I left a couple hundred on the table. Perhaps not.

Shiny new Modern Steel Metallic Accord happily in the garage. :D

@johnnguyen714

Emailing you some information
  • @lil_owl said: johnnguyen714
    Emailing you some information

Okay I saw it. I haven't received any email back from Staci yet. I rather not drive that far right now so I am patiently waiting for the reply. If I get a good reply I might use that quote when I try to get it from the Honda Dealer near me first. If they can't match or beat it, I will make the drive.

• Glen,

Thank you. I am thinking of taking that offer. right now i am not getting the 0.9% deal even though iam recent graduate. I am looking for loan options right now. I had two color choices, my secondary color choice is there. Thanks so much for sharing valuable information. Have a good day. I will keep you posted.