Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    If you think there is something wrong wih the car you might want to have it checked at another honda dealer or even a third part mechanic to see if there is anything mechanically wrong. I highly doubt the 200 miles on it mean anything related to any issue you might have. Honda leasing does a great job and I think they will make things right but be persistant. I have never heard of or seen such an issue with accords.

Rob
  • robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    Looks like a decent deal. I probably would have paid 400 less. Protective coating? No new Accord or any other car needs such a thing. Do into walmart and buy a can of wax. Thats your protective coating. In the 1970s it was rustproofing and other nonsense to clip a customer. Than glass stching that you can get for free etc.

Rob
  • purell13purell13 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, just wondering if I got a good deal.

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4 Cyl. Black/Black

$600 Down (including 1st Months Payment)
    $315/month including tax
    24 Month Lease

I think I made out pretty well on this car and so far the car is great to drive. I'm very happy with the new Accord, the car is 10x better than the previous model.
  • georgebush1georgebush1 Member Posts: 22
    Just bought this model yesterday in Atlanta for $21,800 OTD. It was Silver Alibaster, had 12 miles on it, after we drove it for 9 miles. Came with mud guards and carpet floor mats. I was very satisfied with the service and think I got a good deal.
  • jswiftyjswifty Member Posts: 19
    Hey George, why did you decide to buy now rather than your previous advice of waiting until August? Was a bird in hand worth 2 georgebushes? Prices in Atlanta seem a bit more favorable than my area of south-central PA. The dealers competing for my business would not budge below $20,600 with wheel locks and splash guards (or $20,500 without). I am buying tomorrow with an OTD price of $22,103 (including 6% sales tax and document fees). Considering that the state sales tax of $1200+ counts as a deduction on my 2009 federal returns, I think this is a great time to buy a new Accord.
    I wish I had the luxury of waiting until August, when the 2010s come out. However, the car I was driving lost its last leg and was undriveable. Reading all the posts on here and dealing with the local dealers for the last few months lets me believe that the price I got was a good deal. I would still suggest that if youre in the market to buy...wait for the 2010 to come out. By the end of August you should be able to get the 09 for between $21,000 and $21,500.
  • ccc132435ccc132435 Member Posts: 31
    I think I got a decent deal even though I think I could have gone lower. Accord EX-L V6 24,600 + TTL the price included the destination charge. no navigation and no extra options. Was this a good deal? :confuse:

They tried to sell me the protective coating, side guards for the doors, extended warranty etc, I declined everything, Dealership and sales guy was A+++, no pushy, knowledgeable and directly to the business. Negotiation was basically over the phone before I went to the dealership
    Like you, I can't wait until August to buy. My wife was driving our 96 Accord when a radiator hose broke. She continued to try to drive home:( The silver lining is that even though its not August yet, its still a good time to be on the market for a new car.
  • knight4knight4 Member Posts: 10
    I finally got 09Accord at 19000 OTD. Actually I might be able to get
    it even lower, but I did not try harder enough. The sales man just
    gave me 19200 after talking with me and his manager. l insist on 19000
    OTD then after 2 minutes talking with his manager, they agree on this. So
    I think if any one try harder enough, maybe you will get it 18500-18800 OTD.
    (sales price is about 17500-17800 + TTL).
  • knight4knight4 Member Posts: 10
    honda_man2

I finally got 19000 OTD at Crown Honda at wendover in Greensboro.They accept my
    offer after 2 minutes talking with the manager, I did not have a chance to face the
    sales manger at all. So I figured that you can ask for even lower eg: 18600 OTD just try to negotiate harder and you will see what price is the bottom line that
    the sales manager will come to talk to you. Obviously 19000 is not their bottom line based on my experience.
  • honda_man2honda_man2 Member Posts: 19
    Yes how true. I figured there were dealers (sales guys) posting bogus information out there given some of the responses. You have to filter what's posted and do your homework. Invoice pricing on places like edmunds is much higher then what the dealer pays for the car so be careful. Calling around and working dealers off of each other seems to be the best way to get a low price. I've been debating between the Camry and the Accord and it's funny how the Camry posters do not post as many purchase prices compared to the Accord shoppers.
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    Invoice pricing on places like edmunds is much higher then what the dealer pays for the car so be careful.
    And you know this how?
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    I find that very hard to believe. In 2005 they were over $1000 more then what I paid at Asheboro for my Honda Accord LX. The sales manager was very rude to me and practically through me out of the dealership. But if it is true and I can get money from the Gov for my gas guzzler then I would be interested in who you dealt with at Crown.
    Hmm. Seems this debate between you and me has been going on for a while. Sorry to the others. I've mentioned in a previous message that I have heard first hand from a relative of mine who was a salesperson at Toyota that he loved when people came in with that "Invoice" price. I found this true in 2005 and I still find it true today.
    I just find it hard to believe that in this day and age of the Internet, that tens if not hundreds of thousands of car salesmen have all kept their little dirty secret of below invoice pricing away from us peons. That must be some kind of punishment to have all of them keep their secret. Do they get sent Guantanamo Bay if they let the info out. Have you spoken to your Toyota source, you sure he is still around?
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    Many of the ways that dealers can go below invoice are explained openly on the Edmunds website:

1) Honda is offering $1500 "marketing support" on Accords until July 6. This apparently can be used to allow dealers to offer prices below invoice:
    http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/78386/page002.html

2) Dealer holdback on Hondas is 2% of base MSRP at all times. This can be used to inflate the invoice price:
    http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

As the second article makes clear, dealers sometimes have additional methods of making profits below invoice, but this information is not available to the public. My recent experience buying an Accord EX Sedan w/AT shows that two dealers in my area were willing to go $2,338 below invoice. According to Edmonds' figures, the combined holdback and marketing incentive on this model was $1942, but two dealers went an additional $396 lower (Invoice=$22,838, Edmunds' TMV=$21,719, Actual price paid=$20,500). A third dealer was only willing to go $1677 below invoice because he told me that it was not "economically feasible" to drop the price further.

The conclusion is that information freely available on the internet can explain most, but not all of my discount below dealer invoice. Since dealers have additional mysterious wiggle room or currently are willing to take losses, my advice is to bargain hard with multiple dealers to find the true TMV in your region. Some Honda dealers faced with a bad economy and lots of competition have an oversupply of 2009 Accords. They are looking to make deals well below invoice before the arrival of the 2010 models.
    #1 - I know
    #2 - I know. What you fail to mention is that the holdback is 2% when the vehicle is floored. The longer it sits the less the hold back At 90 days of sitting on the lot there is no holdback

The subject wasn't how dealers can go below invoice for pricing. The subject was the urban legend that car dealers don't pay invoice for their cars, that they have been conning us for years and still to this day their secret is safe.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • 1stmzda1stmzda Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone heard if the "Manufacturer to Dealer, $1500 Cash to Dealer" will be extended beyond July 6? Or if there may be a better offer? Thanks.
  • camble94camble94 Member Posts: 15
    Can someone tell me if they are happy that they purchased the GPS package on the Accord? I realize it adds an extra couple of grand to the sticker price. Does everyone find it is helpful and worth the investment? I am thinking about getting it but not sure.
    Very well put. Thanks for posting that explanation. One other thing that most people have very little clue about is the dealership gets a bonus from the manufacture for selling a certain amount of cars for a given month. At the end of the month if the dealership is only a couple of cars away from getting that bonus the sales people will do whatever it takes to sell those remaining cars. This can mean selling a new car for a $1000 under dealer holdback - well below dealer invoice. That bonus to the dealership can be upwards of $50,000 so taking a loss on a couple of cars is worth the risk. So much for using what edmunds prints as the "Invoice" price for a vehicle. The fact of the matter is the price of the car fluctuates from day to day. Only the sales manager knows exactly what the car cost the dealership and that's only after the month has closed. Now you can see why buying a car at the end of the month is much better then the beginning of the month.
  • dgrebdgreb Member Posts: 65
    welll if you wait until the end of july, you can get around $3000 for your car through the stimulus package (cash for clunkers) cars.gove
    You make a good point that some people with clunkers should wait until August to buy a 2009 Accord, but most people with older Hondas will not qualify because clunkers must have EPA averages of 18 mpg or less. My 96 Accord is rated at 22 mpg:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymanu.htm
    No the tiers are $3500 and $4500. Your car has to get 18MPG or less to qualify. If the car you are buying gets 4 MPG or better then the car you are trading you get $3500. If the car you are buying gets 10 MPG or better you get $4500. Slightly different for trucks / SUV. I'm still waiting for this bill to into effect.
  • js81js81 Member Posts: 1
    i've quoted from a dealer in Atlanta, GA

$22,393.00 Includes Destination Charge
    + 498.50 Decklid Spoiler installed=22,891.50 Sub Total
    + 587.00 Processing and Prep fees
    1,713.93 Sales tax - TN 7.3%
    3.00 Lemon Law

$25,195.43 TOTAL

What do you guys think?? am i getting a good deal?
    I guess we will have to wait and see what the final version says. The way I am reading it, you "can" get up to $3,500 or $4,500 for the car. The dealer values the car at scrap price. If scrap price is $500, then thats what you get. I may be wrong, but thats how Im reading it.
    No that scrap value has something to do with money the dealer can get for the car from the salvage yard. Doubt you will get much more money on top of that $3500. When the cars are sent to the salvage yard the engines are removed and the rest of the car can be sold for parts. The car cannot be re-titled and put back on the road. There is some verbage about grinding up the car so that it cannot be driven again. So the owner does get all of that $3500 or $4500 depending on what vehicle they are trading and buying. Unfortunately we have to wait till July 23 to hear the final outcome.
    Honda incentives to dealers reached an all time high in June, but sales were still down 32%. Expect more bargains as the summer continues. See the article in Edmonds.com:
    http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/07/led-by-surging-ford-june-sales-ratcheted-rea- ssuringly.html
  • austinaccord1austinaccord1 Member Posts: 6
    I just leased a brand new Accord EX 4DR AT for $0 out-the-door and $250+tax a month. The lease is for 36 months/36,000 miles. The dealership even made the first month's payment and all the other fees like registration, etc. I just signed the papers and walked out with the keys. A month from now I will get the $250+tax bill. The experience was awesome as the people in the dealership were very nice and helpful. What do you guys think about this deal?
  • kk26kk26 Member Posts: 8
    hey...has any one purchased the ex-l v6 in houston for the 2009...if so what was OTD and if you could give the breakdown of the costs. i went to a dealer and they didnt have my color....and all they were willing to tell me was the MSRP of 31,000 or so...they wouldnt even figure me out an invoice based on another color or anything...also if you could provide any quotes or good dealers in the surrounding houston area

thanks!!!
    Hi,

I had an OTD quote on the above car for around 24300. I was being charged 6% sales tax and it didn't include the spoiler (do you really need this?)

I hadn't started negotiating with them so they may come down lower. This quote was received in the last week of June.

The dealer was Team Honda off Route 20. I can give the name of the person I spoke to if you're interested.
  • kk26kk26 Member Posts: 8
    OTD 24300 for a EX-L v6..just to verify...i dont really care for the spoiler, i just want it in the white pearl....and this was in houston or where?

yah if you could provide the name to that would be helpful...thanks! :)
    Here's a useful website where people can post MSRP and prices paid for Accords. Those who posted June purchases paid around 16.5-18% below MSRP:

http://www.realcartips.com/2009-Honda-Accord-Prices
    No, it was for a 4cyl as the title says :)
    I was replying to the poster who found a deal in Atlanta.

The contact is:
    Lynn Ossie, Team Honda, Atlanta.
  • newyearnewcarnewyearnewcar Member Posts: 24
    So this is just a thought, but it's listing price is $14,980 with 25582 miles. How much can we get off do you think? We will trade in a 2001 Nissan Altima with 100000 miles.

Thanks.
  • oliverjiaoliverjia Member Posts: 3
    Thanks jswifty for the info. are these prices paid are OTD or not? thanks
    Prices don't include tax and doc fees.
  • odugsodugs Member Posts: 5
    Hello people,
    Please help me out. I have just spent the whole day with dealers and I have settled on two possible cars. Honda Accord LX and Toyota Camry (base model). After bidding and bidding (its my first new car I'm ever getting). The dealer has come down to 20,900 OTD ($1000 down, before my trade in which is a mirage 2000). I have specifically told them that no change should be added to this if i chose to accept this (meaning no suprise dealer fees or the like). I am still shopping around. I am in Westchester county, NY. This is a brand new 2009 car. 2010 models come out soon. Does anyone have any experience in this county with the LX model? What are typical OTD prices for LX models in NY? I would appreciate all the help.
    PS (the Toyota OTD price is 20500 (after trade in and $1000.00 down).
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    A good place to start is Edmunds true market value- which for an 09 LX Accord automatic is $ 19281.00 incl destination.
  • shawnzhangshawnzhang Member Posts: 5
    I got a quote for 09 Accord LX-P (Boston area) based on truecar.com "great price": $19,600+TTL,which is "actual dealer cost' according to truecar.com. The manager accepted the price without hesitation, which made me feel the offer I gave is too high. How reliable is the truecar.com data? BTW, Emunds TMV: $20,190
    Request internet quotes from other dealers in your area to be sure you are getting a good price.
    odugs,

How much is your trade in worth? Are you aware of the cash for clunkers initiative starting around August time? However there some conditions. Check out CARS
    Hi dgreb,
    Unfortunately, my trade in is only worth between 500-1000 dollars. I am also aware of the cash for clunkers bill but I have had the past luck and now present misfortune of owning one of the most reliable gas savers. The mirage gets me about 30mpg highway. It has a small tank but the bill does not cover tank size as far as I can see and read (I wish it did). Also the cash for clunkers timeline I believe starts this July and ends in september- http://www.cars.gov/
  • oliverjiaoliverjia Member Posts: 3
    Hi Guys,
    Just got a $20,000 OTD quote for a 2009 accord lx from a local dealer here in Greenbelt, MD. How do you guys think about this deal?
    Have not talked with them about the finance rate yet, anyone knows the current finance rate for accord (36 month)? My credit score is around 700 I believe.
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi oliverjia,
    make sure that their out the door breakdown is not based on you taking Accords discount (1500 i think) and then forfeiting the 2.9-3.9% finance rate. These deals are either or deals. I'm in NY and I just got a quote of 20900 for an Accord LX so yours is better than mine OTD. I ended up purchasing a Toyota 2010 LE for 20799 after all said and done. OTD was 20000 for my Toyota financed at 3.9% for 5yrs although by my calculations I will pay up in 2.5 to 3yrs. I had to forfeit Toyotas $750.00 discount. Goodluck! Please let me know how it goes. Experience will prepare me for next time.

PS: Remember you get an IRS return for all sales Taxes on New Cars. So in essence I have only paid about 19000. (I live in a high tax county)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Just test drove one of these puppies with the power seat option and Honda & Toyota you've got some stiff competition out there. Seat was super comfortable and the car drove super smoothly with no perceptible bump with the gear changes...smooth up the power band. Having driven all three now...Accord, Camry & Sonata...all drive the same and if a blindfold on, doubt most would be able to tell the difference...REALLY!
    And salesman said the 2010 Sonata will be a different looking animal with new tail lights and Genesis style grill...should be a real looker. At this stage of my life with my spinal issues, I now realize that I need a power seated car to drive pain free. Only reason why I've started to look again. Gotta felling that I might just end up with one of these 3 cars before the year is out.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tqflyingtqflying Member Posts: 1
    hi, do you mind telling me from which dealer you brought? I am at Atlanta and buying an Accord EX too. Thanks a lot!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    You should be able to get at least another $500 or so off that price, maybe even $1000. Just don't let them low-ball you on the Altima you're trading in.

Be sure to use Edmunds TMV to check the values of both cars in your ZIP Code.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I've dealt with most of the Honda dealers in the north-metro Atlanta area- my best experiences were Ed Voyles in Smyrna and Hennessey in Woodstock. I'm NOT a fan of Honda Carland in Roswell (or Cartersville) or Gwinnett Place Honda.

If you haven't already, you should price the specific car (trim level, color, transmission, etc) using Edmunds TMV (just go to Edmunds.com, click New Cars, Price w/ Options and follow the instructions). Once you get to the TMV summary, scroll down and you'll see the option to get quotes from various local dealers. It's worth a shot to let them all give you a quote! Can't hurt...

Just my two cents...
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • laxvenkatlaxvenkat Member Posts: 2
    Hi Odugs,

Just a note on your point on tax. You do not get the entire sales tax back. You only get to deduct it from your income, with the result, your net savng will be about 20-30% of the sales tax paid (depending on your tax bracket).

Just wanted to clarify...

Cheers,
    Lax
  • laxvenkatlaxvenkat Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,

After much research on this forum and a lot of email haggling with dealers in the Bay Area I finally I bought an Accord EX-L on July 3rd from Livermore Honda for $22,400 +tax & registration. The experience with them was pleasant. Previously, the best quote I had got was $22,700 from a couple of dealers - Dublin Honda and Hayward Honda. However Livermore enticed me with a better offer. I thought the price was fairly decent.

Now, I realize that I could have possibly got a beetr deal from Tracy Honda (20 miles east of Livermore) - Same price on car + $500 gift card from the city of Tracy. apparantly the city of Tracy are running a promotion to incentivise businesses in Tracy.

Has any one bought from Tracy and got the gift card? Also, what do you guys think about the price I paid.

Cheers,
    Lax