Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dglozmandglozman Posts: 177
    I got the same car for $273 a month with $1000 due at signing (36 month lease, 12,000 miles a year) INCLUDING taxes (NJ), title and registration.
  • Just wanted to say that please check out the prices of all the dealer added options. I checked with the parts dept of this same dealership and here is what I got:

Dealer added options price (parts dept price)
    Splash Guards $295 ($93.60)
    Wheel Locks $195 ($61.60)
    Cargo tray $195 ($110)

So there you have it, there is a huge markup on all dealer added options. I cannot believe that dealers do this when their parts dept is down the hall. I guess people do not bother to check.
  • jwatsjwats Posts: 72
    Ramida:

That is an excellent point--and frankly one I had not thought of because I plan to keep the car for many years. Here is the important question, at what level do you think an 05 is a good value? For example, would you pay $3,000 more for an 06 for this reason alone?
    thanks
    John
    Has anyone found a dealer they really like and can recommend?
    John
  • FYI I'm in Las Vegas and just bought an '06 Accord SE 4 cyl,man OTD for $21,400. (7.75% sales tax. incld in OTD price) Sounds like your doing pretty good. My guess from all of Honda's advertising lately is that they want to clear a few off the lots before tax time. Don't worry about a couple hundred more dollars and treat yourself to a nice Christmas present.
  • Hey all I have been shopping for my first car (college senior) and recently decided on a Honda Accord. Was looking at the new civic but they are really too expensive when compared to the accord based on price per practicality purpose.

I got quoted for 19.3k for the VP and 21k for the LX OTD.

I am leaning towards the VP unless there is anything the LX has that might lower my insurance.

Are these good deals? Should I have them install an alarm system to lower my insurance or should I go to pep boys/best buy for this? I will not bicker over a hundred here and there. Just want to know if it is ok to take the plunge.

This is my first car and been lurking in these forums for 6 months deciding on tacoma/sonota/camery/civic/accord.

Thanks for all the useful information over the last few months.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    Oh, I don't think so. I'm sure the retail book value is higher than 1000.00 below invoice.

That is one tough car to sell. It's a coupe and a five speed too. Nothing wrong with them...great cars, just hard to sell both as new cars and later as used.
  • Civic LX Sedan Auto $18,300 OTD
    Accord LX Special Edition Sedan $21,000 OTD
    Accord LX V6 Sedan $23,000 OTD

Thats the lowest price i got on these cars. For the civic paying Exactly around the MSPR price is not worth it. One of my friends bought a 2005 CivicSedan LX 15k OTD (in September) the price is gonna drop for 2006 and thus making atleast $3k downfall in the price just after couple of months. I do say for those who wish to stay under the 20g range should head for an nissan altima for a better package and deal. I considered Scion TC but less resale value (relatively) and less market awareness makes me run away from it.
    Any suggestion what should ne done? I want to stay under the 20g range. I HAVE to consider the price is WORTH the car or not? Let me know.
  • ramidaramida Posts: 67
    Here's an actual Kelley Blue Book comparison of the retail blue book value of a Honda Accord LX Coupe 2D:

2005 Model -- $19,615
    2004 Model -- $17,985

One-year depreciation: $1,630

You may factor in the increase in base price of the newer model, but then in the case of Honda, the newer model, although slightly higher in base price, comes with new features not present in the older model.

Here's a hypothetical situation:

2006 Model -- let's say can be had for $200 below invoice price of $19,000 = $18,800

2005 Model -- let's say can be had for $1,000 below invoice price of $18,500 = $17,500

Price difference is $1,300, which is still lower than the KBB-based depreciation of $1600 shown earlier.

I'll take the newer model every time. Why? Because many car dealers are opportunists and are so damn "smart" selling older cars that a $1000-below-invoice deal is a rare find (except for the higher-end models; EX/V6 with NAV, for instance).

ramida
    Hi jwats -- see my recent response to isellhondas.

If the price difference is more than the forecasted one-year depreciation for this model, then it may be a "good" buy. But you also need to consider new features that come with the newer model, if they matter to you. It's your call.

ramida
  • Well, i just picked up a 2006 Civic LX 4D AT for $18,071.61 OTD. The car has door guards, cargo tray, mud flaps, wheel locks. The Civic has a better resale value and has a lot of std stuff that i don't think the other comparable class cars have.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    It does no good to talk about OTD pricing in these forums. Sales tax can vary greatly between states along with sales tax. You should only concentrate on the price of the CAR and any additional fees a dealer may charge.

There is only about a 1500.00 difference between the invoice and the MSRP on these cars so your numbers aren't impossible.

And, ther is nothing wrong with a Nissan Altima. You need to consider how these deprecaite in value compared to a Civic. Big difference!
    Ramida:

I believe Honda has an additional $1200 in dealer cash for 2005s so I think it is entirely possible for there to be more than a $1630 difference in price between the two models. My belief is that there is in my case. I think if you plan to be a long term owner, and can get a discount well above depreciation-buying an end of year model makes sense. A couple of other considerations:
    1. There is a sales tax difference in favor of the lower priced car.
    2. The " imputed value of money" adds up over an extended ownership period--in other words, what you could do with the $2,000 or so that is not tied up in a car. Over 7 years, you can double this to $4,000. And have essentially the same driving experience. There will be some residual difference in value at the end of the 7 years, but not much.
    3. It should be remembered that leftover cars are there for a reason and often represent the least popular colors/equipment. In my case, I like coupes and I prefer manual transmissions-but this is the kiss of death on resale--so buying one only makes sense if long ownership is anticipated.
    4. Either one can be reasonably justified. What amazes me is how little you save on a used HONDA--which makes this a really dumb purchase unless you simply can't afford a higher car payment
    John
  • What was your price before TTL? Also, is this car auto or manual?
    Hi John -- very good points! Yeah, I agree with you 100% --it saves you very little, if at all, on that "used" one-year-old new HONDA.

Take the newer model, if you can.

regards, ramida
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    "....In my case, I like coupes and I prefer manual transmissions-but this is the kiss of death on resale--.."

...well, at least I'm not alone in a shiftless world.

..ez..
  • I'm also shopping for the 06 Accord EXL in So. California ..but can't find the financing as low as that ..is the dealer in the LA area?

Thanks
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    is there under the table cash behind the left over '05s? I happened to see a stray EX-L 5 speed on the lot, and was wondering how badly they might want to unload this puppy. The chnages to the '06 are nice, but not earth shattering enough to make a big difference. Even the butt looks OK in silver.

They actually had a fair amount of '05s of one kind or another, including at least 6 hybrids. Certainly not moving like a Prius!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• I believe that rate (3.99%) is only available during the Thanksgiving weekend.
  • I got this online quote from Gilroy Honda in CA:
    Special internet price: $21,413
    Documentation fee: $45
    Sales tax (8.25) $1770.29
    License fee (DMV) $203
    Tire fee: $8.75

Out the door Gilroy Honda price: $23,440.08

Is it a good deal? I haven't bargain yet. If it seems to be a decent deal, is there anything that I should pay careful attention to? Thank you.