Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Hi I live in PA. I am thinking of buying the older 2007 Accord EX L V6. What should I pay for this car now that the 08's are out? Thanks.
  • hi after reading this all the post i am setting on the fence for 3-6 mons to buy accord the feds may lower the rates next week again?" question concerning resale down the road straight v-6 or v-4 with nav.....what would you do????
  • But, you know, I don't even know if I'll get approved for even that amount anyway, because when I did an online pre-qualification for a loan with Bank of America, the pre-qualification came back with a MAX of only $26,000! I asked for $32,000 when I went on to the actual APPLICATION... so we'll see.

I was prequalified by Bank of America for $17,000 @ 7.69% for 60 months. I then asked for $21,000 and they said no. So, I went to Honda and was approved for $19,400, and Nissan approved me for $21,700. And the rates were much lower, 5.9% for Honda and 2.9% at Nissan (both for 60 months). Now I have a 2007 Honda Accord and a 2007 Nissan Altima and Bank of America doesn't get a penny of my money.
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    Hello,

Can you provide the name of the dealership. I am in the SF Bay Area too.

Thanks.
  • iandeleonm,

Consider yourself lucky that they want to sell it at MSRP. I visited Gillman Honda here in Houston, they marked up 08 sedan by $2000 and coupe by $3000 above MSRP. I saw a guy here post that he got it at invoice for a EXLV6 sedan in Dallas. Maybe we should go there.
  • You're not really paying off your credit cards, you're just shifting debt from one form to another. Yes you've paid off credit with probably a high interest rate, but you've shifted into making payments on a depreciating asset. Will you still be as excited about the car 3 or 4 years from now, knowing your payments have been higher for years because you couldn't wait a few months?

I paid $1000 over MSRP for our 2002 Odyssey EX-L back in 2002, and I'll NEVER buy a car again that has just been released. Problems with the power doors, new transmission at 40K miles, and Honda's vaunted value retention...hah! Think of all those poor saps in the so cal area who paid $10K over sticker to be the first to own PT Cruisers, and saw their cars depreciate $20,000 over 3-4 years.
  • tamil1tamil1 Posts: 1
    Hi Gsethi,

Is it 2008 Accord EX Sedan
    or 2008 Accord EX-L -Sedan ? W / Wo navigation?
  • Thanks...

That's good to know... encouraging... only thing is that I'm asking for $6000 more than what I was pre-qualified for.

Interesting though, that the dealerships helped out more than the bank.

I'm starting to get the impression that dealerships are bloodsuckers... at least here in Houston.

Did you ask for a certain amount OR did you ask to see what is the most that you could get approved for?
  • Wow, finally someone else from Houston...

You know what... the thing about Gillman though, at least they told me straight up that they can't go lower. Gillman in Rosenberg told me they'd match on the Coupe.

I'm going to go back to Goodson, to see how much I can get approved for. I just realized, I'm sitting here dealing for a car I'm not sure I can get financing on! :confuse:

Anyway, have you test drove any of the cars? And what do you think about buying that 2008 EX-L V6 at MSRP?
  • Did you ask for a certain amount OR did you ask to see what is the most that you could get approved for?

I asked for $17,000 at first because I was planning on buying used. When I found out I could get a new Accord for just a little more than what I was planning to pay for used, I asked for more money. B of A was the first place I applied because I was wary of the dealers, too. I was denied by Honda when I applied online, but when I went to the dealership, they told me it was a mistake and I was approved with American Honda Finance. I was preapproved by Nissan online (NMAC), but they don't give you the terms--you have to go to the dealership for that.
  • I understand that I'm shifting debt... But if I do it now or soon, I'd be getting a new car (which I've wanted for YEARS now) and at the same time, deleting one credit card and lowering another, with the money I get from selling my 99 Accord.

I REALLY don't think a few months will make the difference here... I'd PROBABLY get $500 off MSRP max in the next 3-4 months. I think the only way I'd get Invoice is at YEAR END CLEARANCE...

And yes, I'd still love the car 3-4 years from now, because I'm still happy with my 99 Accord, which I've had for 9 years.

Listen, yes I'm anxious to get into this car that I've fallen in love with. But, waiting is still an option, if I REALLY want to get a GOOD DEAL. It's like someone said in here, what is it worth to you?

The issue is, I just want a dealership to show me a LITTLE effort. If the Sales Manager would've said " we'll give you the $300 dollars off that quoted price"... I would've bought it right there. As little as that may sound, at least you showed effort.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 797
    burningedge- I also say give them the opportunity to fix it. It is highly uncommon for even first year, early production Hondas to have "teething problems". As cars become more and more technically advanced, the probability of malfunctions also increase.

Were you provided with a loaner vehicle while yours is out of service? If not, I would INSIST that the dealer do so. I'd also let American Honda know that the dealer didn't offer one. American Honda is TERRIFIED of getting any bad PR.

I bought a '96 Accord back in 09/96. The camshaft seal failed at 35k miles while I was driving at 70mph on the highway. The oil pressure light came on and, in the few seconds it took to make it onto the shoulder, every drop of oil leaked out. Thank God I was using synthetic oil at the time. The seal was replaced under warranty and the dealership begrudgingly gave me a used Civic loaner.

Fast forward to 73k miles (car was 2.5 years old at this point, I drove a LOT back then). Almost identical scenario, driving on the highway and the oil pressure light flashes. The camshaft seal failed yet again.

My warranty had expired at this point, so the dealer wanted to charge me for the repair AND for conducting the engine compression test to make sure there was no other damage. They offered me a ride to Enterprise Rent-A-Car, how kind of them. Luckily, the night before when I had the car towed to the dealer, the mechanic I spoke with told me "we've seen A LOT of '96 Accords built around the same time with cam seal failures".

With that information, one call to American Honda got the car fixed under warranty. For good measure, I also received my belated 60k service for FREE!

A dealer cares more about profit than making you happy after the sale. American Honda will go above and beyond to protect their well-deserved reputation.
  • gssethigssethi Posts: 25
    it is 08 EX Sedan (no leather - I thought I was clear in title). I wish it was EXL but that is ~2k more expensive. If you are thinking about getting EXL at the price, then forget about the 08 and go for 07.
  • Anyone out there from FL - Brevard county - (32904) and got new 2008 Honda accord? How much you pay? $.

I am thinking to get from Ron Norris Honda dealer (4 DR-LX (Base for $18,500 + TTL) How about South Eastern Honda Dealer? – Help …..Pleeeeease

What do you think? :confuse:
  • bdeabdea Posts: 5
    Hi TinaTina:

Did gssethi provide you with name of dealership?

I am also in the Bay Area, Need a car for my wife before it breaks down...

Thanks, Brad
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    I would recommend you get rid of the door moldings. They are useless and actually damage the clear coat after time. Great deal on the car! Congrats/
  • holewholew Posts: 71
    I would not set foot on the dealer's lot who places a sticker price which is above the factory MSRP. Such dealers are dishonest and merely trying to take advantage of the unknowing buyer while there are still a few out there.
    Hi you all. This is a terrific message board. Can any of you provide names of an HONEST Honda dealer in the Baltimore, Maryland and in the Fort Myers, Florida areas? I drive between MD and FL frequently so the name of an honest Honda dealer along the I-95 interstate would also be welcomed. I al willing to travel 100 miles from these locations so please feel free to list as many as you can.
  • i went with pohanka honda in marlow heights. they have a lifetime powertrain warranty on all new hondas free of charge, that is what really made my decision to purchase from them
  • Why not go for another brand that is just as good.Nissan Ultima 3.5 is just as good as the Accord.I have an 05 Accord EXL V6 Coupe.it is a great car,but,so is the Altima 3.5(V6).In my oppinion,Honda/dealers are way out of line.Toyota is finding out that people,can,indeed,live without the Camry.Honda will be finding this out in due time.
  • Having the same issue here. Family Honda in RSM CA adds $1000 to the sticker for wheel locks, mud flaps, and trunk tray and act like they're doing you a favor selling you the car at MSRP. Then they will try to sell you on dependability and resale value, then offer you crap for your trade in. Couple of other dealers in the area do the same.

Case in point: Looked at swapping my '06 Accord LX-V6 sedan for an '07 Odyssey for my wife. Accord is dark gray, has moonroof 17" EXL wheels, top audio, pretty much everything an EX-V6 has except fog lights. 16 months old with only 12.5K miles. Paid $23.5K, guess what they offered for trade? $14,000.

So Family Honda, why should I buy a new Honda when my current one (according to you) has lost almost 10 grand in value in one year? I know, I know, never trade in a vehicle (and I don't), but I was just curious to see if they were in the ballpark.

Honda will be very lucky to keep this customer with their current sales practices.
  • I finally closed the deal on my 2008 EX 4-cylinder automatic transmission sedan!

$21,770 including splash guards and pinstripes. $635 for delivery and dealer fees. $22,405 before taxes, registration and title. $24,000 OTD (including taxes, registration and title).

The engine is smooth and powerful for a 4 cylinder. Suspension and handling are great. The new interior and exterior are nice, although I wish the cloth on the seats looked "tougher". If I had the extra money, the EX-L interior does look sharp!

The first thing I would change would be to slightly reduce the amount of power steering assistance, to provide more road feel and feedback. Road noise on the highway is a bit more than I expected, maybe due to the stock tires?

All things considered, a great car, and solid value. Looking forward to years of safe, fun, reliable and happy motoring! Thanks to all for your assistance in my purchase process. :shades:
  • nkvnkv Posts: 20
    Not sure about their honesty or sales practices but you can look up Coral Springs honda dealer close to Miami. I think they are about 150 miles from Ft Myers. They have close to 250 '08 Honda Accords in stock. Great selection to choose from at this time vs most other dealers have hardly enough inventory to cover all trims. Internet price request yielded invoice price from them but they had about $550 dealer service fee. Still a great price considering how highly these cars are sought after at this time and how close to MSRP most dealers are trying to sell them. Good luck.
    $550 over invoice does not sound too bad considering the 2008 Accord is a new model and obviously a hot seller.

Some dealers add ADMs to the lest price just to sucker a buyer into thinking they are getting a great deal when the price is lowered by $1000 or more. Dealers which add ADMS to list prices are dead in my book. There are too many excellent dealers out there to bother with such tactics.
  • rumc3rumc3 Posts: 31
    I don't know how much experience posters have had buying cars, but the last time I went in to negotiate on an Accord (EX V6 w/Nav, in '06), the guy dragged over the Sales Manager and I had them taking $4500-$5000 off MSRP. (can't remember exactly, but never bought because we got hung up over trade-in...$500 apart)

Remember, INVOICE is meaningless...dealers know you know what that is....it's DEALER COST that's important.

If you can wait awhile for the '08's, and be a hard bargainer, you can get a much better price. Dealers all want big bucks when there's an upgraded model just out.
    I purchased from Honda of Oakland. Dont deal with any of their salesperson on the floor.

Ask for "Tina" from Internet Department at the front desk and stay firm on the price of 21.6k-21.7k.

I played a different strategy. I went in looking for the 2007 Accord SE V6 and told them 18.5-18.6k for it (they were willing to sell it for 19.2k). Then I looked at the 08 and told them 21.5k for that.

I told them that I would take whichever one could get me my price but was more happy to get the 08.

If you want to have no hassles and just get it for 21.7k, just tell that that "Gundeep" referred you to them and you wont pay a penny more.

Also, regarding financing, make sure you go in with some alternative financing to negotiate with. First they offered us 6.49% through AHFC(my fico was 783) and I mentioned my Credit union which was offering 5.6%. Magically, AHFC offered 5.74% immediately :)

I think 08 Accords have 0% APR right now (till 10/31) if you finance less than 15k for short term ??
  • I do not believe this is the case. The subprime mess will cause the recession. The fair market value for this 08 EXL V6 is $24K and manufacturing cost is about $12K.
  • sodaguysodaguy Posts: 72
    Manual or Automatic Transmission?
  • bdeabdea Posts: 5
    Many Thanks .... I hope your Dad enjoys the new car! Great Forum ... Always fun and informative!!! :) :) :) :)
    Automatic Transmission