Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jhinscjhinsc Posts: 399
    I should clarify - I dont' sell cars or anything auto related. I don't buy the notion that because in good times, sellers were able to make a profit, sometimes a huge profit, and now that times are tough, they should sell at a loss. Sometimes occassionally selling at a small loss may be the only thing to do to keep up cashflow, but doing it consistently or taking a huge loss on several sales is tantamount to closing your doors and not selling at all. Dealers sell cars to make a profit - period. Think of it this way: Except for gov't and non-profits, anyone employed or self-employed sells or produces a product or service for someone else to buy. If the product or service can't bring in enough revenue to pay you, the overhead, and put a little profit into the owner's pocket, how long do you think that will continue? And if that's not important to you, don't go crying when you get your layoff notice or you have to shut down your business because you went broke doing it.
  • fhughfhugh Posts: 8
    "I quietly apologize and state that it's unfortunate that not everyone can afford our product and happily refer them to a competitor who will have something in their price range"

That is not rude? I don't think that statement is apologetic other than insulting your customer. That is the same thing as saying " Hey, you cheap , if you don't have money, why do you come here, get the hell out of here !"

Those rude salemen are so subtle in insulting their customer, they made it a perfect art. You are a good example here.

there are many decent car salesmen out there. It is the guy like you give them a bad reputation.
  • Whether or not the dealer takes a loss should be of little concern to the consumer. This is about supply and demand. If demand is so low that the market price drops below the break even point for the dealer, that is the dealer's problem. The consumer should continue try and get their best price. It's certainly not uncommon for a business to sell a product at a loss to clear out inventory.

In this market, auto buyers should continue to push for the lowest possible price without concern for the profit of the dealer. The worst thing that can happen is the dealer says no. Its not being greedy, it's not being mean, it's just capitalism.
  • reechzreechz Posts: 50
    I've been shopping alot of dealers this month. I find it comical that the first offer is always right around list, and then when you laugh at them, they immediately lower the offer by $2000. Perhaps, if the salesperson didn't insult your intelligence with a high first offer, the desire to stick it back to them wouldn't be so pervasive.
  • you are right, it is I4.

I am considering to get another sale person there, shall I just tell him I need a new sale person? I was wondering how to tell the guy in propertyly...
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    In this market, auto buyers should continue to push for the lowest possible price without concern for the profit of the dealer

Bingo! Give that man a ceegar! Well said, buyers and sellers shouldn't take things personal, it's just business. MSRP and invoice as well mean nothing. The only price that matters is what I think I can get that vehicle for.
    "I quietly apologize and state that it's unfortunate that not everyone can afford our product and happily refer them to a competitor who will have something in their price range"

That is not rude? I don't think that statement is apologetic other than insulting your customer. That is the same thing as saying " Hey, you cheap , if you don't have money, why do you come here, get the hell out of here !"

Nothing wrong with how he put it, sounds OK by me, not insulting.
    Do it like this. Tell him you need to see his manager now. When the manager comes, tell him that you need to use another salesmen since the last guy was rude(or you are not comfortable with him).

Do your research for a price you like. put it on the table. They can take it or leave it. Then you walk with or without a car.

Happy shopping and merry Xmas.
  • Nothing wrong with how he put it, sounds OK by me, not insulting.

Not for me.

I have a relative who uses a similar tactic in her store. If a customer asks her how much an item is and then the customer doesn't want to buy for whatever reason, she will say to the customer that "It's o.k if you don't have money, you can buy it later."

About 70% of the time, the customers just buy the item because they don't want her to think that they don't have money.
  • ohoh..that likes punch him in the face...I think better walk in and ask for another sales person directly. That guy was arrogant and I was not quite sure how did he sell a car ( 26K ) to customer. They just wanna dig out a ton of gold in 10mins.

Does anybody has the most "latest" price for Accord 09 EX-L w/o Nav 4I ?

Thank you for all your inputs and I wish you guys all Merry Christmas!!!!
  • jhinscjhinsc Posts: 399

Those rude salemen are so subtle in insulting their customer, they made it a perfect art. You are a good example here.

there are many decent car salesmen out there. It is the guy like you give them a bad reputation.

I guess you think I'm one of THOSE salesman. I am not. I would never say anything in an insulting way, subtle or not, but I guess you chose to take that way - can't help you there. The fact is customers ARE frequently rude, and I only make this type of statement in a professional manner, only in appropriate situations, and it's not meant to be insulting. Personally, I have never had anyone ask me for my manager or go around me to complain. It's not the one answer to all customers who think my product is priced too high. Some people are quite nice and tell me they don't want to spend that much and I still happily refer them to a competitor who has pricing in their range. I agree not only are there many decent salemen out there, but also many excellent ones as well. Check out an Infinit dealershp sometime - I would love to buy all my cars there but there is no dealership close to where I live now. Too many people walk into car dealership preparing to be adversarial with a chip on their shoulder and then can't believe they're not being treated seriously.
  • If you can get a 2009 at invoice and subtract the cashback, why wouldn't you? 2008's are going to be deeply discounted because they're now subject to 1 year depreciation, of course. If you're going to buy it with 50 miles on it, go ahead and look it up on kelley blue book and see what its worth with 1000 miles on it before you pass up the 2009 thats $1000k more.

The deal on the 2008 V6 coupe someone got on here was sweeeeet! thought.. (not hatin on him)

Anyways, 700 or so below invoice on an 09 HONDA is a no brainer
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    I hope you don't think I'm one of those who get "very testy".

It does get old sometimes and some customers just go too far.

But let me ask you about charging "sticker price" since you seem to imply there is something wrong with that. I've asked this question several times in the past and I've never received much of an answer.

Suppose you decided to sell your five year old car. It's in great shape and you have spent time and money making it as presentable as possible.

You do your research and you feel that you would be happy to get, say, 12,000 for it. Knowing how people love to haggle on cars, you advertise it for 13,500 which is close to retail book. You figure if you had to, you could drop your price by 1000-1500 and still be content with the deal.

You run an ad and recieve several calls. The first person to show up just happens to love the car and says " I'll take it, here is your 13,500"

What would you do?

Merry Christmas to everyone!
  • I bought my 09 EX-L V-6 w/o Nav 6spd. in November here in MD. I paid $26,974 which is $3,000 under list price AND I got 3.9% financing! What an awesome deal for an '09 model! This has got to be the best time EVER to buy a new car--the dealers are hurting more than you know and are willing to haggle over price...stick to your guns! (I LOVE my car btw....I get so many compliments on it!)
  • Hey Simplyi,
    Even if you buy your car out of state, you will still have to pay the 6% MD sales tax when you go to register the car at the MVA...just an FYI.
  • Very good deal..the best Iv seen is $27755 OTD for 09 V6 EXL Navi
  • From what I've been told, if you plan to keep the car for many years (say 8+ years), then you would be better buying a 2008 model at year end. If you only plan to keep the car 5 years or less, you should consider the 2009 model.
  • I'm getting the feeling Honda dealers have started to become desperate. When fuel prices were high, everyone was buying Honda. Now that fuel prices have dropped like a rock, Honda sales have been terrible. I think I'm gonna buy early next week.
    Not directing this at you, but like Bill Clinton said to George H. Bush, It's the economy stupid!

It ain't fuel prices, it's the economy, car sales across all lines are way down.
  • reechzreechz Posts: 50
    Just purchased a 2009 Honda Accord LX-P automatic tranny sedan in silver. No other bells or whistles.
    $20,000 flat plus taxes and tag being transferred from my old car.

Invoice w/ destination charges would been $21,126.

I think I did OK.
  • nexofanexofa Posts: 31
    I have an offer on the table (just outside DC in Virginia) for an Accord EX-L sedan, before taxes, tags, and freight, of $23,500. No trade-in. The only dealer-added options (included in the price) were mud guards. What do you think?

I visited the same dealer ten days ago and was told "just under $24k" if I bought before the end of the month. Today, they said they could take off an additional $500. From what I've seen on this site, $23.5 sounds pretty decent.

My leased (Nissan) car isn't due back until mid-February (I have one more payment left to make - $301), so I'm thinking of making a counter offer of $23,200 plus free wheel locks, window tinting, and door guards. Any other negotiating suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
  • jvolljvoll Posts: 3
    The best price i've been quoted on a 2009 EX-L 4 cyl sedan is 23,100 before tax, title and dealer paper work costs.
    Never thought honda will have this problem. It does. Take a long high way test before you buy. you are warned !! I am taking the car back to the dealer for repair . :mad: :sick: :lemon:
    OMG, that is probably one of the easiest things to fix and you're having a cow over it, most likely a tire is not properly balanced. Unfortunate, but it happens with all makes. Stop whining, get over it and go to your dealer.
    Not that simple. Check the other forums. Many people get the same problem and could not be fixed. Check the other forums for vibations of EXL V6.

I took it to the dealer. I was told that it is a known problem since the car was sitting there for a long time and the tires get flat spots. I will need to drive 1k miles for it to get better. Balancing it won't make it better. I really doubt it. I am going to ask them to change the tires today.
  • tleetlee Posts: 42
    The tires could get flat spots if the car has been sitting there for a long time. I bought a new Civic earlier this year and had the vibration problem on the highway. When the dealer told me it's caused by the flat spots, I was skeptical initially. But the vibration did go away just after a few days' driving.
  • Hi,

Any idea if I should be able to get a 2009 LX with manual transmission for under 19,000 on the East Coast this week? I was hoping to hear about deals resulting from the current economy and end of year.

Thank you very much.
  • just picked up my 2009 Accord LXP-Auto for 21750 OTD "Wheel's lock/Mats/Splash guard". ;)

I did a mistake at the end, I agreed to buy Honda Care Ext Warranty [6/72000] for about $900 from dealer, since he aid this is the only time I could add the cost to teh finance amount...but when i got home, I found same warranty for about $550 on Internet or for th3 same amount $900 I could get [7Yr/120K]. I am going to go back and cancel with them. but i am very pleased with car price.

sales person also told me since I noticed many 2009 cars on lot, Honda will stop production for first 3 months in 2009. not sure if that's true though.
    Finally, I would like thank all of you for your help and inputs. Happy New Year :)
    Since you financed the ext warranty, if you cancel it, they will send the bank a check, reducing the principal amount of the loan, but not the monthly payment. And stay away from those after market 3rd party warranties as they are a royal pain to do business with if you have a claim, and many go bankrupt. I got burned by Warranty Gold.
  • hac09hac09 Posts: 1
    I only read this forum AFTER i bought mine. I thought I should contribute; just in case it's helpful to somebody.

EX-L, Polished Metal Metallic, Black Interior, few dealer goodies (floor mats, mud guards, stripes, wheel lock).

Base: $22,100
    Freight: 670
    Coupon: -300 ;)
    Purchase Price: 22,470

VA Tax: 686+27
    Processing Fee: 399

OTD: 23,631

The dealer is based in Woodbridge, VA and the one of the guys there was himself surprised at this price. I worked with an internet "liaison" right from the very beginning and she was great. Barely any haggling. She even emailed me the $300 coupon. And, to top all this, I took the 1.9%/3Yr financing.

Both, the liaison and the sales agent were great and helped making the buying process easier.

Anyway, good luck in getting the best price. Happy New Year!!