Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,674
    tanngrisnir: yes, it's the ivory interior. But did you have any 08 sedans with the Navi with the 5 speed manual?
  • Ah, good point. I'd overlooked that you stated the manual. No, we haven't had any white ones yet (or any manual w/Navi), but we did have one manual non-Navi in a diffferent color that our fleet guy snapped up before we ever even saw it off the transport truck.

Good thing, it likely would have collected dust on our lot.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    They can order the less popular combinations (such as manual transmission with Navi), but they will not be built until they have 30 cars ready to be built that way. Then they ship one of them to the dealer that "ordered" it.
    They will not build it for just one person.
    Yes, those of us who prefer a manual are a dying breed, but Honda makes some of the very best for us.

How are sales of the new Accord going in your neck of the woods? My dealer seems to have a fair number in stock at this point...
    So it sounds like how long it takes for my white on ivory manual navi to get made depends on how fast 29 other people order 08 EXL manuals with the navi in various color combos. It could take a while, although there have been two other special orders of that kind mentioned on this site. So that's just 27 more to go, and I'm hoping they'll get orders for those in the next few weeks.

Although Honda may not "special order" for one person, if it all works out the factory will be making at least one car in my particular combination that it wouldn't have made otherwise. That is if it all works out. I'm now worrying a bit about those other 27 orders. My dealer guessed it would be late Nov. or early Dec. I hope he's right. But if it takes longer I'll wait. If they never get up to 30 orders, however, I guess it won't get built...
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    30 orders in the entire country may not take that long. A couple months might be plenty of time. They will eventually build at least 30 of every possible combination regardless and then they can ship your "order" to the dealer from that run of cars.
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    You know, I've bought lots of cars over the years and I always obsess about them for several months after my purchase and monitor all the relevant web sites. Fact is, I love cars and talking about cars. I'm even a bit proud of my 08 Accord because I love the car I got for the price at which I got it! But, if i could offer one piece of advice . . . DO NOT gauge the purchase price you paid for your new Accord by the posts on this, or any other, forum.

I'm not saying these forums are bad or that you can't learn anything from them. . . Certainly, this forum shows you that a reasonable negotiator who is willing to walk away from a bad deal/dealership/salesman should pay a little less than MSRP for a new 08 Accord. But, I'm not sure it tells you anything more than that.

A good example is post #17748, above. Benjaminh feels he has to justify why he paid $1000 over invoice for a new 08 Accord. MY GOD Benjaminh-- that's fantastic! Its one of the best selling cars in America and the model year is only one month old -- you apparently got exactly the car you wanted, from a dealer you like for a $1000 over invoice. You don't have to apologize or try to explain away that deal!

Even if everyone on this forum is being absolutely truthful about their "deal," you are still listening to only a VERY small fraction of the people who are buying Accords. Plus, the people on this forum usually are 1) very invested in and enjoy the purchasing process 2) very informed about the process and prices and 3) the type of people who like to talk/write about it on web forums. How many people have posted the price they paid on this forum? Not very many!! The fact that they are posting may be an indication that they are proud of the deal they achieved.

This is a complete guess, but I would think that the people who post their deals on this forum are among the top 5% deal-getters in the nation. Further, most are from different market regions and most purchased their car from a different dealerships or salesman using different financing options etc. etc. etc. Who knows. . . .truth be told, those who post the best deals on this forum may be dating the sales manager :D I hope you see my point.

My $.02 on price is this. If you are deal-seeker, try not to pay MSRP on the new Accord. If you get the dealership to split the difference between MSRP and invoice, I think you did a VERY VERY good job. If you do better than that, make yourself a little awards ribbon to hang on your rear-view mirror, use your extra money to enroll in a negotiation school and change careers.

If you have the unfortunate luck of being just another guy/girl who simply wants a great car at a fair price, get educated, get quotes from as many dealerships as possible, don't be afraid to show those quotes to other dealers, don't be afraid to walk away and, most importantly, after you have achieved the best price that YOU (not someone else) can do on an Accord . . . have fun driving it!!!
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    For sure negotiate the price on any car purchase.

There are not that many color and trim options - and something like you want does not seem like it would be that hard to find.

I usually have good luck finding what I want a some dealer, but I don't limit myself to just a single dealer or even just to a single city. Go where the prices are lower and/or the selection is better.

Dennis
  • "How are sales of the new Accord going in your neck of the woods? My dealer seems to have a fair number in stock at this point... "

We have about 15 or so, and started getting them around a month ago, but our entire auto plaza has been literally torn up for complete redesign and construction (roads, sewer/water/electrical mains, lighting, landscaping, new dealership buildings, etc...) so our traffic is massively down. It's simply too much of an adventure for most local people to come in because of the earth moving equipement, one-way thoroughfare, etc...

We've got the cars, we just can't get the people in.
  • Great point! To add to that, on pricing. I am planning on paying 1K off MSRP. Nothing at all to brag about, but I am fine with that. Love the car and can afford it. I would really love the car if I could get it at the price some are talking about on here! haha
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    Also, would everyone on these forums please finally agree that the destination charge is part of the cost of the car and is non-negotiable. Edmunds says so on it's pages, yet everyone seems to think that it can be negotiated...

Who is this everyone who is saying that?

I can't recall seeing any posts where people say that the destination charge isn't a part of the cost of the car.
    Folks sometimes (and some dealers often) refer to the price w/o include the destination charge. When folks post prices here without the charge then folks go nuts trying to figure out how you can get such a great deal. When dealers do it they hope to rope you in and then add the charge (along with a doc fee) when it is time to sign the papers.

Dennis
  • I ordered my 08 Sedan v-6/Navi on 9/15. My dealer swapped with another dealer. The car was build on 10/02, dealer got invoiced on 10/09. Expects it in next week. As far as special order all i know is he was going to contact the factory & request it for me. Then he said he would see if the color we wanted had been ordered by another dealer, if so he would try to swap. The other dealer swapped. So that tells me that Hondda does build them when ordered & i work in mfg. so once they get an order for 30 i'm sure that is when they start building them. But i can't see them builing all 3 v6/navi's w/auto at once. I'm sure going down the assemably line they are able to put in navi or just the regular audio system. Espcially w/automation the way it is. I was not required to put a deposit down & i'm not sure what my cost will be. If it's not what i want to pay then i won't buy. I do want the dealer to make a profit, they have to make profits to stay in business. :)
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    I had a lengthy discussion about special orders with a sales manager before I bought my 08 Accord. Don't know if the information he provided is wrong or right, but this is what he told me: Honda will not add or subtract any option, color, interior or feature from any car on their production line. To keep their costs down, they make an entire run of one, identical type of Accord. After that run is done, they move on to the next run, all of the same color with identical equipment and features. I badly wanted an silver EX-L with 5-speed manual. He explained that manuals only make up 5% of the production and Silver manuals make up only a fraction of that number. Silver w/ manual transmission w/ black leather make up only a fraction of that fraction. So, I would have to wait until the factory got approximately 30 requests for silver w/manual w/ black leather and/or until the factory just happened to produce a vehicle that, according to their marketing research, only a fraction of 5% of their market would buy. In other words, he encouraged me not to hold my breath. He did say I would likely have the vehicle within 6 months.

There was one other option. The dealership was able to locate an "allocated" 5-speed EX-L in dark grey. That car was supposed to be going to a dealer in Ohio. But, apparently, before delivery, Honda allows any dealer to submit a special request that will change the allocation of the car to your dealership --- BUT only if the dealership submits paperwork establishing that they have a confirmed buyer for that vehicle (thus preventing any dealership from simply cherry picking the best cars and selling them on their lot).

My dealer "influenced" my decision to give up on a manual transmission by throwing in the automatic transmission and a rear wing spoiler for free, if I would agree to buy an automatic from their lot. I just can't get past a great deal and they had a wonderful silver w/ black leather on their lot (with only 5 miles on the odometer). . so I bought the automatic. Haven't regretted it since . . I love it!
    A lot of car makers do this. The dealers get production slots and can (in some cases) specify some of the variables about the car. If another dealer has a slot where they are building a car (not already sold) like you want then your dealer can swap their slot with that dealer and get the car for you.

The 330i I used to have was like that, it was ordered for a TX dealership and was already on the boat from Europe when my dealer swapped out to get it for me. I got the exact car I wanted (well, no cold weather package since no TX dealer would order that) without having to wait long at all.

If Honda does build them in batches (see above post) then the Honda dealers don't have the flexibility some other dealers for other makes do in changing options and colors up to a lock in date.

A lot of dealers will just try to sell you what is on the lot, or order what you want and you wait, or try a locate and see if there is a car on a lot someplace they can swap for (giving that dealer either another new car or a future production slot). The really good dealers can pluck a car out of production for you when one can't be found the other way. I think a lot more dealers COULD do this, but they prefer to force you to either wait or preferably take something on the lot or at another close dealership.

Dennis
  • Since people want to know what my price was:
    EX-L Manual, non navi
    Invoice: $22,705
    My deal was: $23150 (included dealer installed OEM mudguards and wheel locks, my guess is those cost the dealership around $100 total) + $289 processing fee + $635 destination + $183 Maryland Tag+Title +5% MD sales tax = $25,461

My best guess is this was around $634 over invoice.

Not the best deal I've read about on here, but I'm happy with it, considering how hard manuals (expecially EX-Ls) are to come by.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Was that on the 08 accord?
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    Folks sometimes (and some dealers often) refer to the price w/o include the destination charge. When folks post prices here without the charge then folks go nuts trying to figure out how you can get such a great deal.

Yes, but your issue is not the issue that grmerc was speaking about. He was saying that "everyone" thinks that the destination charge is not a part of the cost of the car. I don't recall seeing anyone mention this.

Whether people post additional fees with the quote they received is a completely different topic than whether the destination charge is a legitimate charge.
  • juxtojuxto Posts: 16
    I've bought a lot of cars over the years and laugh when I read some of these boards. The entire "invoice gimmick" is just that - a gimmick. IF a dealer sells a car "at invoice" he stands to make approx 20 percent on the car. It's been that way for years. The invoice is nothing more than a very successful gimmick in this industry. Go to a furniture store and ask to see the invoice on a couch. They'd laugh you out of the store. I bought my last accord at a great price from a friend who was a dealer. As he told me no new car leaves his lot without $3500 profit as that is what it takes to keep the doors open. For somone to think they are going to buy a car for $100 or $500 more than the dealer paid for it they are either absolutely dreaming or related to / sleeping with someone at the dealership. What the dealer paid for the car is not and should not be anyone's business. As a consumer, your concern should be what YOU are willing to pay for the product.
  • Just finished with a dealer in Mass and ended up with 2008 Honda accord ex-l auto including mudguards....out the door price of.....25,900 that includes dlr prep and $635 charge too.......no one came close to it...