Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Just stopped into Atlantic Honda in Bay Shore, NY and was quoted a price of 23,178. Advised her before they gave me a price that I already had a price quote from a neighboring dealership of $500 under invoice and was looking to do better than that, the salesman whom was very knowledgeable and nice came back with the manager who gave me the price above which is $249 above invoice and almost $800 higher than my original price. She swore up and down about how the other dealership will probably sneak in some miscellaneous fees or change the price on me and that If she sells for anything less than invoice, her dealership is losing money. When asked how the other dealer can sell for much less and I'm looking to do even better than that, her reply was that my other offer is a great deal and I should jump on it. I am in no rush to pickup the new accord, the longer I wait the greater the likelihood that I either A) get a better deal or B) buy a completely different make and model. I suggested she can contact me towards the end of the month if she wants and she stated that it makes no difference, the whole end of the month thing is a myth and that her dealership meets their quota 4, 5 or even 6 days before the end of each month. They play a pretty good game, but research tells it all, the dealerships make money a whole host of ways, including meeting or exceeding sales goals, incentives, etc.....she said her dealership is a higher volume dealership and they sell 20-30 accords per month, which to me doesn't seem like that many. Any input from anyone?????
  • Thanks for the reply. Yes i drive less than 10k miles in a year. I was thinking for leasing too.
  • gee22gee22 Posts: 82
    Rule of thumb is that it usually doesn't pay to lease if you are expecting to definitely keep the car. Honda lease money factor for excellent credit is .00155 which equates to an interest rate of 3.72% and you have to pay the $595 Honda Finance lease fee at inception which you wouldn't have it you purchased. I would expect you to do better financing.
    My wife recently did a deal on a Volvo and based on the MF and conquest rebate, it would come very close though I would never have considered purchasing anyway.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,432
    edited January 2013
    G- lover you will waste 1 to 3 hours each time you walk into dealerships. trying to haggle over price. Especially in the middle of the month .. you have no leverage.. Time would be better spent on line one hour out of your day emailing 50 dealerships in and around your area/ out of state as far as you want to travel. Ask every dealer for there best price and all out the door pricing.. there dealership charges. You need to know every dealers doc fee..Most important.. IF 25 breakdown what you asked them keep them on your list,,, the rest toss in the trash. What ever number they quote you does not matter yet .. The last couple of days before the end of the month you ask all your targeted dealership if they would be willing to match or beat your best price from the high volume Dealerships . Not disclosing your numbers yet. But letting them know dealers like Anderson and WEymouth honda will give you hassel free e- quote of $900 below delears invoice.. This lets each dealership know your not Bs them.. they have to step up to the plate or lose out.. By using this kind of approach you are weeding out all the bad dealerships and narrowing down the best dealerships who will meet your target price..

Yonkers
    new rochelle
    paragon
    friendly
    Hillside ... i'm sure there are more in N.y.
    All have doc fee's of $75.. these dealerships and others like them can match and maybe beat the bigger dealers.

Brian

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• micki2micki2 Posts: 13
    Hi. I am also in St. Louis. Bommarito?

I kicked myself for not shopping at the end of the year. But it looks like they haven't really budged on pricing for the Sport. Also the inventory for Sports look pretty low, but the LXs are plentiful. I am going this weekend and I am preparing myself for foolishness.
  • Thanks Brian, I really wanted to go in person to Look at the ex and sport models as I was undecided and I need to know for sure before I contact dealerships asking for a price. Can anybody tell me what their best negotiated price before any TTL but including destination charge. Also I had thought invoice (including destination) was 23,127 on a Sport. The dealership today told me that invoice was 22,929 which is even less. Thanks.
  • Just purchased the 2013 accord lx from DCH Aacademy Honda this saturday.

Car price: 20483(include 790 destination fee)
    7% NJ tax: 1433.85
    NJ tire fee: 7.5
    Doc fee: 299
    Registration/Title : 276

Total : 22499
  • Congratulations on your new Accord and thanks for posting all the details. Pretty good price.
  • wiphillyfan1wiphillyfan1 Posts: 10
    edited January 2013
    Just got it for a car price of $22,200 in WI (incl dest). Included Splash guards, wheel locks, paint protection.

I went to the dealer and showed them truecar.com which showed 1 person in my area paid between 22,192 - 22,395.
  • Could you please mention which dealership it was? And also could you please split the total cost?
  • Russ Darrow Honda - Milwaukee, WI
    Car price with dest. $22,200
    5% Tax
    Their service fee is a bit high at $299
    Title/Lien fees $99
    Rate 2.9%

Good experience. Good luck!
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    REF: 28100
    why did you pay the 299 service fee (doc) when it is completely optional in your state?

http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/which-additional-fees-should-i-pay-at-the-dea- lership-what-is-the-doc-fee/#comment-53152
  • Oh, appreciate the info - was not aware it was optional. Will be sure to consider this next time.
    Still a decent deal overall! Enjoy your car...
    Optional, like you can decline to pay it after you negotiated the deal? I don't think so.
    I know there are different state laws governing doc fees, but your sales order that the sales manager signed probably included the the fee in writing. If your state allowed you to negotiate the doc fee away, the sales manager may not have signed off on the purchase price of the car. He was okay with the price you negotiated with the salesman knowing you are also paying another $299 so I think you did just fine.
    edited January 2013
    There is a difference between knowing the fee is optional BEFORE you negotiate the final deal and just assuming it is something you have to pay. Dealers are not stupid; they will take advantage of ignorance.

Here in Ohio, the state sets a MAXIMUM doc fee of $250. Most dealerships pre-print that $250 doc fee on the paperwork and say that the state mandates it, which is BS. Very few consumers take the time to research the doc fee issue (except brian125, et al) before making a final deal.

It sux to post on this board AFTER you make a deal and then find out you MAY have paid too much. It happens all the time. Read some of my past posts if you don't agree. In the previous guy's case (wiphillyfan1), he still got a decent deal so he should not fret about it and just enjoy his new ride...
    But you are stating that he definitely overpaid by $299. How can you come up with that conclusion. You have him thinking that once he negotiated his deal, he could have opted out of paying the $299. Yes, he could have negotiated a zero doc fee initially but I bet his negotiations for the purchase price would have gone differently. Hey, once I negotiate my deal, I'll be happy to pay another $500 in doc fees if they'll take $600 more off the price of the car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you saying that once they agreed on the deal, he could have paid $299 less by simply saying he wants opt out of the doc fee. If that's not the case, you didn't express it clearly.
    edited January 2013
    Good points . both you guys. alot of people do not know about these doc fee's .. Are they legit and can you get them removed.. Alot of people think they make a great deal on there vehicle and boom... there is that doc fee charge for 300 to 600 hundred on that bill of sale.. all that good work taken back. if you agree to it... Dealers are getting hip to pricing from the internet . Dealers are not making as much per car. I like gee's point.. if the dealer you are negotiating with knows you wont pay doc fee's/ tell him to reduce the sale of car to adjust for his high doc's.... you then are getting a different number from the dealer most likely not as low .. Thats why i always say target high volume dealerships first before the smaller guys that sell cars. for Every 50 dealerships maybe 10 are good

Another point you should know every dealerships doc fee's before you start your negotiations.. If dealership wont remove doc's you add that number to the sale of the car... and make your best deal. If you go thru alot of these forums almost everybody is paying dealers doc fee's. Dealers have seem to pull this slimy new profit tactic off. Even thou each state has put a cap on what they could charge .This Does not make it legal..

When buying by Phone or Online trying to get your best price. This question has to be asked to the Manager or internet mangr.. Not the salesman

Will your dealership remove the doc fee's to earn my business.
    If its No... then add his doc fee's to your meet my price i buy now..

Brian

edited January 2013
    For those whining about my previous posts:

http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/which-additional-fees-should-i-pay-at-the-dea- - - - lership-what-is-the-doc-fee/#comment-53152

Knowledge is power; dealers will try to maximize their profit (not a bad thing). Consumers job is to get a fair deal. In many states, doc fees are a dealer add-on item just like pinstriping and undercoating were years ago. Be informed or risk overpaying.

this horse is dead; soap box withdrawn!
  • West County Honda.

Got the same impression that Sport inventory was low at the time in the area.

Good luck!
  • Truecar.com is true rip off dot com! Sure they give you info on what doc fee's are, but their prices given do not include area discounters. They used to show the actual prices paid by the consumer, but due to dealerships and the auto industry in general giving them grief about it, the woosey CEO wrote to a trade publication auto magazine a year ago, telling the dealers they would no longer give out all prices. The result? Prices quoted are often $1,500 higher than what you could get if you were able to see what savvy consumers are actually are paying. Even Consumer Reports is getting dupped, used this now scummy operation (TRUECAR) to help consumers. Use the internet, get as many quotes as possible - even outside your area. Don't let the auto industry extract any more cash out of your wallet so the CEO's can make millions duping you. If every buyer went on this site and disclosed their purchases - the people would finally have the power to save thousands. Good luck with your Honda Purchase and never ever use Fake (TRUECAR) - my opinion of course and thank god for 1st amendment rights!
    I agree that truecar was too good to be long-lasting. Now it sux.
    Check this web site out:
    http://www.realcartips.com/
    I have just started looking at it weekly. The guy recommends carwoo as a good buying tool. Have not tried that yet as i am too early in my buy/lease process.
    Not an endorsement; just info
    edited January 2013
    On feb, 17,2012
    Massachusetts Consumer affairs did a survey with over 200 dealerships asking them if they charged doc fee's, the amount and what they are for..
    Here is the conclusion. Many of the dealerships reason for the fee's were questionable and literally made up " Claimed the Consumer Affairs Bureau."

Reasons ranged from a 9/11 security fee to storing documents for 8 yrs to downtown crossing to paying Insurance agents.
    Bottom line: Doc fee's are not a required charge on the bill of sale . Its just dealership Profit.. That were all paying and not fighting ..

What a bunch of B.S.
    I agree alot with the above poster. By gathering as much info and forums like this is the best way to find or get your best car price.
    True car holds no value to me, Costco programs Etc..
    Here is the bottom line on car buying and my Ist Amend rights of Observation.
    AS long as there are misinformed and stupid people and there car buying ways . Dealerships will always benefit and find new ways to profit off us.

Perfect Example DOC FEE'S.

Brian

• akireakire Posts: 2
    2013 Accord EX-L V6

27965 Vehicle
    600 Doc Fee
    1770 FL Tax
    200 Title+Reg
    30535 OTD
    Dealer sold you vehicle for $320 below invoice. You overpaid on doc fee's. Florida has very high doc fee's.. That raised your sale price to $280 above dealers invoice plus taxes etc..
    Enjoy your new Accord.

• Is this guy real?

I'll never share my price here with this guy trolling. Goodness gracious.
  • Hi, all. I bought a 2013 Accord Sport 6-spd today and just thought I would share my deal since I found these forums helpful. Here are the numbers:

Mungenast Honda in St. Louis
    MSRP $24,180
    Sale Price $22,598 (includes trunk cargo tray)
    Doc Fee $199
    APR 2.46%

I don't think I got bottom dollar but the 6-spd is very hard to find around here so I wemt ahead and pulled the trigger. Good luck all. Thanks.
  • eka1eka1 Posts: 28
    Seriously Brian
    Don't u have anything better to do? Don't bring down people and tell them they overpaid, u got ripped off so on and so forth. Get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • srik1srik1 Posts: 6
    This is a great place. I have got so much useful information.
    I have these 2 quotes (best of the 10 quotes).
    24900 (includes Dest) + 200 doc + 6.9% tax + Title etc (MO dealer)
    25900 (includes Dest) + 200 doc + 4.2% tax + Title etc - (overall 300 expensive than above quote, because of lesser tax for out of state purchase - IL)

I searched this forum and did not find EX-L I4 No Nav prices in Jan, after the year end deals.
    Is this a good price, or should I wait till the month end ?