Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    edited February 2013
    REF: 28330
    Excellent deal at 26950; which dealer in Dayton, OH area? Please, not Hidy!

"You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post last names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information."
  • I hear you, I was like that too, but I asked the Honda dealership and they confirmed that this is the oil u want to keep until the maintenance minder comes on. Enjoy your new ride. Waiting to save a little more for mine, lol.
  • Ok, so now I got a little concerned. I talked with the service manager at my Honda dealership specifically about the oil change cycle for engine break-in. I was told the car will track your oil change needs and will let me know via the maintenance minder display (with associated codes, oil life, and a wrench symbol). Yet, after reading the owners manual there are variables that I need to be aware of (such as driving conditions, towing, ect) that may not cause the vehicle to let me know I need a service.

I decided to talk with an actual Honda mechanic whom has over 18 years of experience working at this dealership. Basically, he told me it is always a good idea to protect myself and he recommended I have my 1st oil change between 500 and 1000 miles (which is usually a standard for a new vehicle engine break in). Have my 2nd oil change at 2500 to 3000 miles and then follow the maintenance minder display in the vehicle there after. Since my dealership offers a $9.99 oil change special for its repeat customers, I opted to follow the mechanics advice. I'd prefer peace of mind versus having problems later (preventive maintenance).

So, I hope this helps some of you out there.
  • evped2evped2 Posts: 21
    I think the people who engineered and built your engine would know more than a local mechanic. The maintenance minder works based on RPMs and would know how hard the engine is working in a general sense. I've always changed the oil when the car told me to and have had 115,000 miles of trouble free driving.
  • rhard49rhard49 Posts: 226
    Your assuming your mechanic isn't stuck in his ways or is correct. Do some research on it I've seen articles claiming the original fill is a breakin oil of sorts being very high in Moly. For my 2 cents if I follow Honda written recommendation how can they void my warranty or refuse a releated repair.

Just my 2 cents
  • Maybe something to do with the new one, not sure about it. Is one of those things that if it makes u feel more comfortable do it.

You are to follow the maintenance minder as per the owners manual. Now is true about the fact that u should change it more often depending on driving conditions (too hot, too cold, etc). That's why I personally, besides the first oil change, I have changed mine way before the maintenance minder around 40-50% and had no problems thank God.

A technician suggested me to follow the manual to the T and stick to it, as the people that engineered this car know exactly what your car needs every time.

I bumped into so many Honda Technicians that will tell u stuff like "u need to flush this and that". when in reality if u read the manual Honda clearly stand against these flushes... go figure. I confronted many of them and they had to agree when confronted w the truth.

But like I said if u know this person and u feel comfortable go for it, I wouldn't say that it will hurt anyway.
  • This reminds me if something. I used to have a great mechanic that unfortunately passed away. Whenever I was freaking out about doing this or that to my old car, he used to say: if doing this repair and spending more money makes u feel better, I will do it...but to tell u the truth u don't need it..lol.

He was funny and super honest. In situations like this he would send me home and said: go home and save your money for something else.
  • I had a 2009 Accord before, now have a 2011 Pilot and 2012 Accord. I following the Honda reminder, usually when i hit 40% I start thinking about going to the service department. I use synthetic, and usually the oil changes work between 5500 to 6500 depending on the type and condition of driving, and the computer is very good at calculating when. Service department always put a different mileage reminder sticker on the window, which always depends on the technician.

Regarding first oil change, I have done it when the car hit 4k - 5K. MY understanding is first oil is the the break in, whether special or not I have stuck with it. ON the 3 honda's that I have followed these procedures no issues.

Last, someone I work with surprised me quite a bit. He has an accord, probably a 2005, on which he has 135K now, and the only thing that he does is oil changes. Before that he had another accord, which went to 260K, again only regular oil changes. After 150K he told me he switches to the thicker oil. I still use synthetic, yes it is more expensive, but I don't mind.

Cheers all,
    Julian
  • wetwillyswetwillys Posts: 24
    edited February 2013
    $9.99 oil change...is that for synthetic as well? I was told that the car comes from the factory with a blend. I plan on using either a blend or synthetic to protect the engine, not traditional. Any thought?
  • It is my understanding that most engine oils are a blend now in days and that's one of the reason they last more.
  • I have not had the oil change done yet but the $9.99 special will cover the oil specifically to meet the manufactures specs (within warranty guidance). I'll ask about synthetic and see what they say. I ran synthetic in the VW Jetta I just traded in so I know it cost more $.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,743
    Stick with what your manual tells you...

Except for a few Euro exotics, no car needs an oil change after 500-1000 miles.. And, you said your manual states that the car has "special break-in oil" that needs to be in there to protect your engine? That seems pretty clear to me...

Doing something extra that's not needed? No big deal..
    Doing something that the manual tells you is specifically harmful? Why chance it?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,697
    "Why chance it"

Exactly! They use a special break in oil that enables the rings to seat in etc. Changing it early ESPECIALLY using synthetic may cause it to use oil throughout it's lifetime.
  • I did not mention anything about "special break-in oil" someone else did. Also, the manual does not mention this anywhere. It does mention words like "should" and "may" which are always weak in my opinion.
    I sent an email to American Honda, since they cover the warranty on the vehicle, for a second opinion. Having a response from them on record wouldn't hurt. I'll pass on what they say.
  • amty007amty007 Posts: 9
    edited February 2013
    Dealer's Matt Castrucci Honda... Awesome Dealership & awesome sales guys...very courteous, no pressure tactics and very professional in their dealings.. I would buy from them again if I ever need another honda.
  • what was your out the door price?
  • Those of us who have had Hondas for years are amazed at the quietness. It uses similar technology to BOSE headphones that cancel the noise with specific sound tones. The audiophiles hate it and disconnect it so it doesn't interfere with their custom stereo. It is as quiet as a Lexus.

As for the wind noise, I _have_ heard a little bit of wind by my left ear, but not loud enough to bother me. Those problems are mostly limited to the early VINs and are being repaired by dealers now.

I have the V6, so no CVT for me. And I'm not experiencing the vibration that other V6 owners have. It does downshift when it decides it wants to, but I'm growing fond of it.

The mirror camera is making me (and all of us) a little bit stupider because there's really no reason to check the mirror anymore. The camera is better. Not so clear at night.

My seat heats up quickly. The A/C is especially quiet under "Econ" conditions as the blower is kept slower. It is doing the job.

I assume you meant your wife would be in the "trunk", not the "truck". I can tell you that no one outside your car will hear her scream if she's in the car.

I am comparing all of this stuff to my 1999 V6, so just about everything is an improvement.
  • Brian--what do you like about the Touring model that my EX-L V6 doesn't have? Navigation? My Garmin was $190 and is better than anything Honda has produced;
    The variable cruise control? That'd be pretty cool, but no worth the extra 2K.

Wondering....
  • Yes, after five weeks, someone has beaten my deal. Congratulations.

You are $1500 under. Nice work. You'll love the car.

Michael.
  • jjjaymmmanjjjaymmman Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    My thought about the Honda Navi was the same. Which Garmin do you have? The Nuvi 3940 has lifetime map upgrades, voice control, and traffic updates. That is what I'm looking to get.
  • We'll I feel good about my $29K even OTD with zero % finance.
  • fxguyfxguy Posts: 132
    Quantity talks guys. In January, the Camry still handily beat the Accord in sales (By at least 7000 units). If Honda has any hope of wrestling that coveted best selling car in America title from Toyota, they better bring in some good rebates. Good for us folks who want an Accord but are in no hurry! :shades:
  • zillzill Posts: 2
    Thanks. I was in need of a car and bought the Accord EX-l 4 CYL from Willett Honda, Marrow GA yesterday for 26,985 (no accessories)

Here is the prices break down.

$24,600 (Including destination) + $599 (dealer fee) + TTL = $26,985

The dealer suggested the extended warranty for $1500 and Gap insurance for $750, which i declined. I thought it was easy transaction.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,685
    mike
    The Garmin gps are much better. I agree. i should consider exl v6. My youngest daughter finishes college in a year. i plan on surprising her with this car.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• I was so close to getting a Camry but I'm so happy I did not. One thing I love about the accord is when I get a text and the car reads it to me! Also, I did not care for the navi version of either vehicle and choose to stick with my cell (but I am considering a newer Garmin with lifetime map upgrades and hands free navigation). The interior of the Camry was weak in comparison to the accord and I though the seats in the camera were not as comfortable. Finally, since I got a zero % financing for 60 mos on the accord with an OTD price of $29k, the Camry could not come close. Accord EX-L V6 (winner).
  • Was the 0% through Honda or a credit union? Is it something u specially qualified due to being a college graduate or military? Or they just gave it to u due to your good credit? Let me know how u got it because I don't think that anybody else got such a low financing so far, thanks.
  • I bought the Nuvi 2555LMT (lifetime Maps and Traffic). It was under $200. I'm a longtime Garmin user (this would be my third unit), and there are some things to remember:

1) I don't care about bluetooth because my phone goes to my car now;
    2) I DON'T use the Garmin for traffic. I mean, it comes on, but I don't trust it. Everyone within the sound of my voice should go download WAZE for their phone. You see actual people actually on the roads and how fast they're going. Garmin traffic doesn't stand a chance. So had this unit not had traffic, I wouldn't have cared.
    3) This particular unit doesn't have voice control. It's not something I want.

I bought it due to its large screen (I'm not getting any younger), and the "auto-fill-in" of addresses.

Michael.
    All good points
    My 4 garmins have the voice command and the 5' screen. The Garmin blows away the Nav in my X-5. The back up camera is nice feature in the truck but not a selling point with me. The only reason i bought truck with Nav system was Price and only X5 with Color choice from dealer.

• Did any one get a great deal in 2013 Honda Lx 2013? Kindly share the dealer name and OTD prize for LX model. Last day of Jan, I got a deal for $20500 with remote start and doc fees but I was asking for 20k. Its peters honda Nasua.

I am not in hurry to buy so I should wait till President day.

No body is offering lather seat in less than $1000.
    edited February 2013
    You should consider Weymouth honda in M.A. there right in your back yard. maybe a 1 hour car ride.
    Herb Chambers is also high volume and has 4 locations thru out M.A.