Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vietviet Posts: 847
    It costed my cousin $2K+ to install the "build-in" Navi on his Mercedes with extra function to play movies but he insisted his navi is inferior to the Honda's one. The portable navi will look very "ugly" in the car. I also have the '05 V6 hybrid Accord and it runs and performs like..."dreams".

If the accident did not make structural damages to that car, @ 26K miles on the Accord V6 coupe its' nothing and I consider it as new. I have owned so many Honda V6 I can be absolutely positive on my assessment.
  • I noticed the Edmunds site is farrrrr lower than the KBB value...I'm so confused on what to take from these values. You see the KBB value and then people tell me, well, you can get it for a few thousand cheaper a lot of the time...so how does the KBB even really help beyond a ballpark? It doesn't seem it does.

The Edmunds TMV value is very interesting to me as it is 2-3 grand lower than any price I could see online for an equivalent vehicle.

I just got the VIN today so I will run a carfax on it and see its history. I don't think the accident on the bumper was even caused when the vehicle was in motion. Looked more like something was stabbed through the bumper or hit with a hockey stick / golf club (for some stupid reason, if thats the case).

Much thanks for your reply on what to ask for Jack. I don't want to offer such a low amount that I would insult my friend or he would just laugh at me. Last night I was thinking, ok maybe start at 16,5, and then he might push me back to 17 grand...but you're saying quite a bit lower and that gives me confidence that I have plenty of room for negociating from that 18,000 asking price.

What do I say to him if he says, "If a dealer would give me _____, why wouldn't I just sell it to a dealer?" From what I understand a dealer just rips you off anything if you straight up sell a vehicle to them. In a private deal shouldn't the seller be getting a somewhat good deal as well? The reason I'm asking is maybe you've considered this and you feel the 15 grand is still a good price for him to get cash for selling the vehicle.

Thanks again jack!
  • Yea I've noticed that the KBB value vs the actual selling value can range greatly. For a guide it seems a bit flakey to be honest. Yesterday I saw at a carmax some vehicles valued at KBB for about 23 grand selling for 19,9...and then I would plan to still negociate an even better deal with paying cash. The Edmunds TMV prices seem much lower, as in what I would expect the final deal closing price is after all negociations. Though I'm not really sure, how have you found Edmunds TMV numbers to compare with the final prices in your experience viet?
  • Thanks for all this information.

My friend actually will be taking it to a Honda dealership to fix a few minor things up before selling it. He would also have the mechanic there check it over, is that suffcient for before making an offer or should I still push to take the car to my own mechanic of choice?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    You could have the dealer do a written evaluation of the car's condition and save everyone the hassle of making another trip to another mechanic.
    If there is a CarMax near you, have him take it there for an appraisal and then you can pay him $1,000 more than what Carmax would pay him. That should be a be a price that is good for both people.
    If you can't agree on price, he can take it back to CarMax within 7 days and take what they offered and you can buy something else more affordable when you are ready.
  • vietviet Posts: 847
    My '02 Accord V6 EX in mint condition (shinily clean engine and body) @ 62K miles was given $7,500 by Honda dealer while KBB priced it $16K. Dealer manager said he pays me wholesale price. They checked the engine and body very carefully before telling me their offer price. I told him forget it. I kept it to drive. It runs like new. KBB prices seem a bit unrealistic.
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    Simply go to Cars.com, ebay.com, autotrader.com, etc and hunt up the exact same car - -filter by year, trim line, and equipment and even miles. See what others are ASKING for the same car - keep in mind that these are ASKING prices and most could be negotiated down a good bit.

If the car in question has a clean Carfax/Autocheck and passes an inspection and the price is reasonable (compared to what you can get the same car for elsewhere or the trade numbers) then get it if you want it.

As far as the worth of the Nav system, the Honda system is nicer than most of the OEM systems and you do have integration. Map update are $149 + shipping + tax from http://www.hondanavi.com/. You can buy a nice Garmin for this price or a little more and get the latest maps, then update the maps next year or the year after for $75. Note that maps for some other OEM systems can cost $200-250 and up, so the Honda system is a "bargain" compared to that. I would not pay much extra for an OEM system in a used, 3 year old not - since you would have to spend money right away to get newer maps. If you got the same car w/o the Nav you could get a portable GPS to use in any car for not much more than the cost of the map upgrade. Even Honda does not think the NAV adds as much to the value of the car, when you look at lease residuals the NAV models have a lower residual percentage than non-NAV equipped models - usually 2% lower.

Dennis
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I like the navi integration, but the integration of radio and HVAC is of very limited value. It's faster and easier to use steering wheel controls than try to control the radio and HVAC by voice. That's gimmicky and slower especially if it doesn't work correctly the first time.
    How hard is it to just tap the volume, tuning button, temp control or fan speed up or down compared to giving a voice command to do the same thing?
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    My '02 Accord V6 EX in mint condition (shinily clean engine and body) 62K miles was given $7,500 by Honda dealer while KBB priced it $16K. Dealer manager said he pays me wholesale price. They checked the engine and body very carefully before telling me their offer price. I told him forget it. I kept it to drive. It runs like new. KBB prices seem a bit unrealistic.

You did not look up the price correctly.

If you check the trade in value it shows $10,775 to $8,855 for a 02 V6 coupe with all those miles on it. I don't even think RETAIL from a dealer or even certified it would be worth $16k. in fact they show retail at $14,710.

We can't see the car, but if it is in great shape then $9k-10k would be about what you could expect to get for it trading in, and maybe $1k or more less if you sold it to Carmax. $7,500 would be a really bad offer unless the car had lots of issues (body work, frame damage, engine problems, etc).

Of course, it is a negotiation. They offer you x you counter with y and you settle for z. That said, if they start this low you are not likely to talk them up to $9k or $10k, but since you looked the value up wrong you would never be happy with even a fair $10k offer :D .

Dennis
  • jncarsjncars Posts: 13
    There's a car just like his that is selling at local dealer near me. It only has 17,000 miles on it. They want $17,795.00. I'm sure I could offer $17,500 and they would accept the offer. So I don't think you should pay more than $17,000.00 from a private party.
    Jim
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    You will get a lot of well intensioned advise here. No matter what your friend is asking some will tell you it's too much,

Remember, this is your FRIEND! both of you have to feel comfortable with the price you pay. If your friend feels pressured to sell the car quickly, he may take your low offer and be forever resentful. If he refuses your offer you can bet he will feel you are trying to take advantage of him and his need to get rid of the car.

If you buy it thinking that you paid too much (or people here tell you that you did) this too can strain your relationship.

If the car develops a problem shortly after you buy it, you may just think he knew about it and didn't tell you.

For the sake of your friendship, you may be just better off buying a different car. There are lots out there to choose from!
  • gwlkzlgwlkzl Posts: 4
    Was your OTD price including the 4% VA tax?
  • sunnfunsunnfun Posts: 168
    27500 including accessories
  • sunnfunsunnfun Posts: 168
    And did include the 4% tax
  • edman2edman2 Posts: 10
    I am very interested in this car. I think they are a fantastic improvement over the bland looks of the older Hondas. My problem is this: It has just come out and I wouldnt imagine they would want to make a decent cut in the retail price. The one I'm interested would be the top-of-the-line 4 cyl. coupe WITHOUT the Navigation System.. When I looked up the prices on Edmunds...it stated that there were no additional options on this model...HOWEVER...they start quoting after-market prices like $500 plus for a front end guard, etc. etc.,etc. and even an extra charge for splash guards and body side mouldings. This kind of ticked me off. Does anyone know anything about this and should'nt I wait a few months until the stock of vehicles goes up and it may be easier to get a decent price?? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks...

Edman 222
    He'll take whatever the credit limit is on your Credit card. If your Credit is good. consider going to the Credit Card Compay and ask for a higher credit limit. Having been a Banker for several years, I wouldn't recommend buying a vehicle with a credit card....the bank may charge you the high interest just as if you were using cash....Better check that out...Interest could be as high as 15%.......
    He'll take whatever the credit limit is on your Credit card. If your Credit is good. consider going to the Credit Card Compay and ask for a higher credit limit. Having been a Banker for several years, I wouldn't recommend buying a vehicle with a credit card....the bank may charge you the high interest just as if you were using cash....Better check that out...Interest could be as high as 15%.......
  • colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    With all due respect to everyone . . . purchasing a car on a credit card is sheer madness, unless you pay it off in its entirety upon receipt of the credit card bill on the 1st billing cycle.

If you need to look at applying a new car purchase to a credit card, you have no business purchasing a new car. Don't use a credit card for any major purchase, the interest rates will eat you alive. There is far cheaper money out there, the cheapest being old fashioned cash, i.e. do not finance at all, save your money and pay cash.
  • exshomanexshoman Posts: 109
    Never say Never.

I paid for my 2006 Accord on my Visa, and got 2.9% for the life of the loan. 2.9% ain't half bad. Figure I'll pay it off in about 4 years.
  • amad1amad1 Posts: 123
    I just received and offer of $237 over invoice on the 2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L(standard features, black ext.) AT. I'm the Silicon Valley.