Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jivanajivana Posts: 4
    Folks, what's reasonable to pay for this car in the Chicagoland area?

I'm really frustrated with the dealers here. No one wants to give a straight answer via the phone or e-mail. Everyone wants you to come in..just come on in...come on in like there's no tomorrow.

I can go in to the closest few, but don't know what I should be paying for this car. Reading this thread it seems like there's a lot of ambiguity on the target price.

Will appreciate help from the gurus here.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,596
    you should go into those dealerships and ask them for a fair price.
    i'm sure they will help you get it. pay what you think is fair. tell the salesman you are new at this to help you.. they will.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    edited March 2013
    If you can negotiate, call and speak to the sales desk manager directly. Not salesman. 21,5 is invoice including destination. Work off that. 20 grand is a good price for an LX.
  • mike372mike372 Posts: 354
    edited March 2013
    Brian, which dealer did you purchase your car? I contacted price in de and they were the most expensive quote I received to this date?! Also I called Paul Miller and they told me that Mike the internet manager no longer works there. So I asked for an internet quote and it was 21,106, no bargain by any means and not too far off from others. And that was today, March 29th,
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,679
    edited March 2013
    Nobody EVER made me "tremble". Please know that.

I didn't mind well educated shoppers. It was the grinders that wore me down.

As people like me leave, you may not like what remains.

Stores will figure out ways to be profitable. You may not like doc. fees or added accessories but the stores WILL make a (gasp) profit one way or another.

Customers throw a lot of "bull" too. Believe me on this!
  • jplatt2jplatt2 Posts: 24
    ziggy, what exactly is the newer way of selling cars?
    Thanks
  • jcda231jcda231 Posts: 4
    I contacted all the dealers by the internet. In many cases, I just filled out the "Contact Us" form on the website. I'm sure that I was just assigned some newbies based on that. in new rochelle's case, i just asked them to email me pricing and they did - no games, so that's the reason i went with them.

I dealt with an internet sales person there (shamett) and then spoke to the internet manager who sent me the buyers order (patel). they came in right on target with brian's recommendation of $700 below invoice. They told me that I could come in monday and it would still count as this quarter, but I want to make sure everything goes thru so I am going in tomorrow to get the car. I don't know if i am allowed to say email addresses for dealers here, but if you call the dealership and ask for shamett, let her know you are looking for the same pricing (700 below invoice).
    p.s. i did not use edmunds pricing. I belong to costco, so i got the invoice and msrp from them. for the ex-l 4 cyl sedan they show:
    base invoice: $25,609 destination: $790 msrp: $28,785.
    so i took $25,609 + 790 = $26,399 - $700 = $25,699
    then to that i had to add 12.50 (tires) + 75.00 (dealer fee) + 350 (registration) + 229 (doc fees). i sure if you get 700 off invoice+destination depends on how desirable your model is. i can see from the website they had a bunch of ex-ls, so they may be more negotiable on them than lxs (which i think may be selling better).
    -
    I contacted all the dealers by the internet. In many cases, I just filled out the "Contact Us" form on the website. I'm sure that I was just assigned some newbies based on that. in new rochelle's case, i just asked them to email me pricing and they did - no games, so that's the reason i went with them.

I dealt with an internet sales person there (shamett) and then spoke to the internet manager who sent me the buyers order (patel). they came in right on target with brian's recommendation of $700 below invoice. They told me that I could come in monday and it would still count as this quarter, but I want to make sure everything goes thru so I am going in tomorrow to get the car. I don't know if i am allowed to say email addresses for dealers here, but if you call the dealership and ask for shamett, let her know you are looking for the same pricing (700 below invoice).
    p.s. i did not use edmunds pricing. I belong to costco, so i got the invoice and msrp from them. for the ex-l 4 cyl sedan they show:
    base invoice: $25,609 destination: $790 msrp: $28,785.
    so i took $25,609 + 790 = $26,399 - $700 = $25,699
    then to that i had to add 12.50 (tires) + 75.00 (dealer fee) + 350 (registration) + 229 (doc fees). i sure if you get 700 off invoice+destination depends on how desirable your model is. i can see from the website they had a bunch of ex-ls, so they may be more negotiable on them than lxs (which i think may be selling better).
    -
    oops, i forgot + taxes of 7% (or about $1800).
    mike
    why are you asking for internet quotes today. every dealership you contact you speak directly to the internet manager with your target price to buy that moment.
    these were the dealers that had the best prices on the EXL V-6 model last month.
    hillside........700... would not sell over phone said they would match
    new rochelle....675
    yonkers.....650
    friendly.....700
    price.. said they would match boston dealer
    paragan.....675 below would not fax buyers order said they would match.
    chambers...995 below plus doc
    weymouth..... 983 below..plus doc
    bayridge........675 below plus doc
    s.i. honda were i purchased..775
    dch oldbridge......650 plus doc's honest dealership
    most of n.j dealers were 450 to 700 below invoice plus doc fee's
    hamilton
    miller
    dch kay
    garden state
    Paramus
    Autosport did not have my model/ color
    metro ....... play games
    joyce
    freehold....
    open road..... high doc fee's
    rt22................dont trust
    planet honda.....dont trust
    the rest of dealers that said they would match my quote if i came in.. i removed off my list.
    subtract jersey dealers doc fee's and thats what they were selling my model at for feb.
    i called 15 dealerships the day before to plant my target buying price.. the rest of these dealers on the last day of feb. couple hours of work in the comfort of my home.

mike post your deal tomm........... good luck.

edited March 2013
    $26399 is the same as Edmunds invoice inc dest. You got 700 lower than invoice but paid 229 doc fee. Their emailed response to me was 569 less than invoice and the email said all I had to add was reg and taxes. MY question is are they going to add the 229 doc fee to their quote of 20799. I assume their language on your email was similar. It looks like you got about about 471 less than invoice when you add the doc fee. And what is this 75 dealer fee, I never heard of that. $350 for reg seems high. I think you said you are from NJ and correct me if i am wrong. NJ reg is 211 for 4 years plus 60 title if you pay cash. They also said they will meet any other internet offer, did you present them with any lower offers and what did they say. Thanks.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 953
    Invoice + destination = 26,399 according to Edmunds. MRSP around 28,000. Somewhere in between is the fair price.
    edited March 2013
    Actually, I may not have a deal tomorrow. I just may wait another month. I will see tomorrow, I may just need another month to clear out my mind. I am really tired of trying to negotiate this car. I have got to get on with other priorities in my life. And its not even my $$, its my girlfriends $$. Maybe the 2000 civic will last another 260000 miles??? Its already made a one way trip to the moon!!!!
  • darrin8darrin8 Posts: 14
    I live in chesapeake va and I bought a 13 touring on jan 30, 2013. Paid 800 below edmunds invoice. I priced in va, nc and ga and no one beat the dealership in NJ. I don't have the vibration when v6 goes switches to 3 cyl
    Darrin
    You stole my bk touring from Autosport in jan. Dealer had the nerve to tell me for a additional 500 they can get me one..
    I'm glad you got it because there were not to many good deals in jan.

• Mike I am kind of busy this weekend, but i see u r stressing. So, remember my previous posts. No dealer in nj was able to match Md. now if u don't want to md: 2 choices, u wait as u still have a car (believe me, unless u know the engine is melting as I type, u r good). There will be plenty of hondas for years to come. The 2013 will be a month older and they will start clearance around memorial day. Second option, drive to md but like Brian and I said: get the buyer's order signed w vin number breakdown of price.

Just something for u to think. I went to the dealership that claimed they would match the md price and wasted 3-4hrz of my time between talking to them and going to see tbe car that they didn't even had. But, decided to go to md and yes I drove more, but it was a sealed deal. Just went to pick it up. The reason of me picking up the car about a week later s too long. ButI was busy my wife had to use the car for her new job, then snow. But was happy to pick its up. Yes I wasted about 6-7hours between driving to get the rental pick up my car dropping the rental. But I didn't have to bother anyone. I love my car.

All I can say is that I posted everything about my experience buying the car to help u and others. I can't post the documents due to obvious security reasons, but the decision is yours and no biggie is u don't buy today. The car can only get cheaper...
    Thanks. the same salesman you dealt with emailed me the quote. It was by far my best deal and I am willing to drive there to get it and drive home the same day. But several dealers in NJ tell me its simply not true. They claim everyone
    pays the same amount for the car and why would a dealer lose money. I am just worrying that when I get there they are going to add additonal accessories, etc. Were they really honest in dealing with you? Also, my girlfriend now wants the dark blue instead of the silver which I know is a mistake, considering howlong she keeps cars...every scratch in the clearcoat is going to show up white and every ding will be more noticeable. And the dark blue was not in stock at the MD dealer, at least not as of 5 days ago. So I am likely to wait another month, try to talk her out of the dark blue, and at the end of April drive down to MD. And if the dealer does not give me the car for the promised amount, OK so I lost some time and gas $$ and will never drive a long distance for a car again. You mentioned memorial day before, do they really start giving better deals then since the 2014 Accord will not arrive till October?
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,220
    edited March 2013
    mike....take your time. There's no need to buy today if you're feeling stressed. There will be deals to be made next week, the week after that, the week after that, etc.

As you can see, as people put up their deals, a dealer may show $xxx below invoice, but make it up with "dealer fees, doc fees, this fee, that fee". Then, what you don't know is the trade that was involved. It's easy to shift money away from the new car purchase and deduct it from your trade-in's worth.

In your GF's case, a 260K car isn't going to be worth much. And, it's probably going to be sent to auction. Forget the trade-in. Keep the Civic and put the word out you'll take $1K for it (assuming it's not wrecked). Jump on the first $500 offer for it.

If you know your region's license fee, and title transfer fee, you should be good to go with just adding those together and tax to your offer.

I think Honda is offering some finance deals, too. Look at those if you're going to finance. Matter of fact, if you're financing, get pre-qualified on Honda's WEB site. Let the dealer know your GF is pre-qualified and ready to buy.

Forget calling 10 to a dozen dealers. You're going to frustrate yourself even more. No dealer is going to give you their best price over the phone or via internet inquiry. I know of some dealers who will throw out an impossible number over the phone, knowing another dealer can't meet it, only to have you come to their store. When you get there, you find out that fees weren't included, or that the car they quoted you is now gone, etc.

Unless you're sitting in their dealership, there is no deal.

Make a trip to one or two dealers. Make them local so it's easy to travel from one to the other. Tell them what you're looking for. Tell them you're ready to buy. Also tell them you're shopping other dealers. They won't want you to leave their dealership. They'll ask you to make an offer.

Offer $1K under invoice, all inclusive except for tax, title license (know from your locale what those amounts are before waking in). They'll counter you. Whatever that counter is will be the delta between what you originally offered and what they hope you'll bring out the check book for. Thank them for their time, and leave. Most likely they'll ask what number would make a deal. Resist hanging around as you'll get even more stressed.

Leave. Talk it over with your GF. Go to another dealer. See if they have what you're looking for. Repeat above.

Now you know where you're at as far as the price of the car. From this point, you'll waste more in gas driving to different dealers to beat the last dealer's price. Plus, you'll frustrate yourself.

Go to the dealership you liked best. Make one offer (say, $250 under their last counter offer...have them throw in tint and/or winter mats, etc...to seal the deal).

I usually don't like buying that way. But, for you, this may be the best road.

Let us know how things go.
    This is so amusing for me to "watch".

After all of that information and work by others the trigger STILL doesn't get pulled??

I never lowballed a customer but I can see why some places will do this!
    I know.....interesting. Lowest price usually isn't the best deal. Too many hidden "gotchas"...wasting time and gas chasing a couple hundred dollars at some dealer 100 miles away, which may or probably won't materialize.

Just trying to help out here. Sister is looking for an Accord. So, just stopped by here and found some people looking for help. I threw in my 2 cents worth.

Thought you may be able to give some of these people some insight.
    Stick to your target prices and get as many dealerships involved today

Post your deals to help the other members

• Hey, I was in the exact same situation a month ago. Again I can't stress this enough and get the buyer's order and put a credit card deposit. My car was in stock. They don't add the extras in advance so, they may try to get u to get them but just tell them no extras.

Dealers were trying to convince me too and saying it was a joke. But some were honest and said to me that they couldn't beat the price and to go and get it. Bottom line this is the second car I buy w the help of this forum. I bought my 08 accord in nj for 4k off the sticker price and this one for 3k off. Market does play a factor as isellhonda said. I nj and this immediate area people are perhaps paying more right now. Also, if u still want to stay local. Email those dealers brian has been posting.

As for the 14 accord. Honda tends to release between August and sept. So do expect the car to be around at that time. If u aren't buying now, just sign up for these dealerships e-mail lists. They will send u better prices when they run specials.
    Oh, I try to give insight but it's all about PRICE it would seem.

Once, I was working the Seattle Auto Show and some guys from other stores in the area were talking about how they lowball people and downright lie to them to get them in the door. I was shocked and I let them know that.

The responses were...

" The heck with them, they bring this on themselves"

" Some get upset and some are so worn out at that point that they
    just cave in and buy"

Sorry, not my style nor the style of the store where I worked.
    edited March 2013
    Lead a horse to water etc, etc. Lots of components to a car deal, not just the alleged price quoted over the phone or internet. Also, look at the value of the ENTIRE deal.

Wish you guys luck. Use the experience/iinformation we've offered to help.
    I think you're "whistling in the dark" here but at least we tried.

I once got scolded by a HOST in one of these "prices" forums.

I had a done deal and the customer was about to pick up her new car when "someone" suggested to her that she look in these forums to see what others were paying.

I got an angry phone call..." You tried to rip me off!!"

She went on to tell me that someone else had bought the same car for something like 2000.00 less than we had agreed on. She had a good deal from me and I knew that that number was impossible.

So, I checked andd, sure enough, someone had posted a crazy price.

Picking my words carefully (or so I thought) I let that person know that they must have made a mistake.

I got a snippy response so I told him/her that our Sales Manager would be more than happy to write a check and send a transport truck to buy and pick up any others that they would sell at that price.

This incurred the irk of the HOST who wasn't a huge fan of me in the first place and I got a rather unpleasant email.

So, I stayed away. Now, I'm retired and no longer care!

Have fun guys...ask LOTS of questions if the price seems too low!
    edited March 2013
    dealership will go 1000 below for any model in stock
    contact........... Aileen.......... mention my name

New Rochelle is also willing to deal.

• howard18howard18 Posts: 53
    Just got my 2013 EX-L today, $27,251 OTD @ Houston, TX. Including floor mat and wheeler locks. Two Free Oil Changes too. Tax in Texas is 6.25%.

Maybe no the best deal but i think i got a good deal.
  • jmaxejmaxe Posts: 198
    Sounds nice. All that really matters is what you think.
    Dealer?
  • Hi Howard,

Can you please give me the break up of your prices? Thanks!
  • Hey guys,

I need your help. Yesterday (March 30, almost the last day of the month), I went to buy a Honda Accord. My budget was around 25.5 K for an EX. After a lot of negotiating, they told me that they didnt have the color I wanted (red) and insisted I take the blue. I said I wasnt interested. They told me they would need to locate it and wouldnt start the process before Monday so I said if thats the case I am not going to give you a deposit before Monday.

Anyway, this is where the part comes where I need your help. They had the red in the EX-L and tried to sell me that one. After a lot of negotiating on the price, they gave their last offer of 25.2k + taxes and fees (around 28K out the door).

I had read a few posts here of people who got their EX-L 27k out the door including a few accessories. But because Chicago is so awesome in charging 9.5% sales tax, I figured I'd throw my last offer of 27.5k, the manager refused. So I said okay lets go with the EX then. The sales guy being motivated, threw me a final offer of 27.8k OTD. I said WTH okay lets do it. We started our paper work and the sales guy tells me that the manager is adamant on the 28K. I said but we already agreed and he said yeah but we have to get the final approval from the manager.

I told them I am sorry I cannot do this deal and walked away. Did the do the right thing in terms of price? Is 27.5K for an EX-L too less? Let me know. Thanks.

P.S. I still have my options open in terms of a red EX 25.5k OTD but the leather and heated seats did tempt me a little.