Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bxteachbxteach Posts: 16
    edited May 2013
    Having some problems with my 2008 EX-L w/Navi. The car has been a jinx upon purchasing. Between the class-action suit on the brakes, windows malfunctioning, and my busted cd-changer, I figured it was time to get a new Accord.

Being that I'm fairly sure I want to purchase a new car, I decided to email/visit some dealers. I am planning on using the 1.9% for 60 months. Here is what I got (I'm basing this on 7.375 % tax, $75 doc fees, and registration) for a NEW 2013 EX-L V6 with navigation.

Yonkers Honda:
    -I made an offer of under $29k this car. The dealer immediately stated that I was nuts and that the car would easily be $31k or more. He told me they were "scarce" and that was that. I emailed back and told him that scarce is not an adjective synonymous with Honda Accords. Done emailing.

Honda of Nanuet:
    -Emailed me a price quote of $29,126, but it did not mention with or without destination. That's a crap shoot and wasn't interested in driving to that dealer to negotiate further unless I was really buying the car that day.

Curry Honda:
    -Emailed me a price quote of $30,317 WITH destination.

Tarrytown Honda:
    -Decided to go into dealership because that is where I purchased the 2008. Dealt with someone really nice and spent the necessary time with me. Took the car for a drive again and loved it even more. I wanted to get "13,000" for my car. In all actuality, I know I wasn't going to get that. However, I'm not gonna low ball myself. According to Galves, he said my car is worth $10,900, but they would need to subtract $500 to recondition it, making their offer $10,400. I wasn't thrilled with that and he could tell. There are 67,000 highway miles on it and it's in fairly good condition. He then quoted me $31,000 for the 2013. To make a long story short, I told him both prices weren't where I needed them to be. He also stated that the flex cash was not available for those purchasing the car. It was only for those who leased. As I walked out, he gave me a quote of $29,770 for the 2013 and $10,900 for my car. I left happy because Memorial Day Weekend is coming and I have no problem waiting until summer for the car.

I have read some posts in here that state they have purchased this car for much less than $29,000. However, it seems like the end of the month is the best time to make my move.

If anyone has any other luck, I'd be happy to hear about it. I'm willing to travel and work for a deal, but it's got to make sense. "Dancing" with the dealers is not how I like to spend my time, but it's sometimes needed to get what you want.
  • jammikejammike Posts: 38
    Planet Honda is giving very good prices on Accord LX Automatic in NJ.

VEHICLE
    MSRP -23270
    Cost w/tax & plates + Doc Feed = 20985+ $399

Speak to the internet Dept. 877-240-2889

Got an email from them regarding this offer.
  • jatanjatan Posts: 92
    2008 Accord was a first year redesign so there will be problems that show up a few years down the line -- similar for the 2003 redesign and it'll be the same for the current 2013 redesign

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/
    2003 & 2008 redesigns had the most complaints -- 2013 complaints will also be high compared to future 2014+ Accords

If you buy a first year redesign then Honda Care extended warranty is probably worth it if you plan on keeping the car for a long time -- there's a Honda extended warranty thread here on Edmunds forums that shows which online dealers sell it at a discount

EXL V6 Navi with dest fee -- MSRP $32,860, invoice $30,116

Below $29k should be possible since not that many people buy V6 trims (lower and mid-level 4 cyl trims are the biggest sellers) and dealers have more room to play with compared to lower trims -- wait til the end of the month or during the long weekend
  • buyer157buyer157 Posts: 40
    Brian - thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I assume the best way to substantiate this is by asking for quotes from several dealers?
    Thanks for the help. I figured that the new models would have some type of faults associated with them. However, when I think of Honda, I think of reliability and consistency.

Regardless, I like your idea about the extended warranty. Is Honda Care a FULL, bumper to bumper warranty? I'd like to know that I'm covered for everything. I will be keeping this for a while. My 2000 was about 9.5 years old when I traded it in.

I'm heading out today to another dealer with my dad. He wanted to check out the process with me. I don't plan on buying today unless the dealer WOWs me with something.

I have no problem waiting until the end of May and will definitely consider the extended warranty.

Thanks again!
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 3,199
    If your trading in your 08 Accord you need to visit as many dealerships before the end of the month to get a Price/ trade in . Galves price is pretty much what your going to receive. If dealers give you 11,500 for the 08 Accord they will not give you a good new car price. You need to work on getting 1k below invoice price or better on the new car purchase plus getting the 10,900 price.

If you do not want to sell the 08 ACCORD TAKE THE HIT AND MOVE ON.
    Make it clear to all the dealerships at the end of may you will buy and trade for 1500 below invoice price. Make your best deal closest to that number.
    The money you save of taxes from the trade will make up for the loss w/ the 1500 below price on new car purchase..

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• jatanjatan Posts: 92
    With redesigned cars there's only so much that they can test before they start manufacturing -- they get a lot of feedback/complaints the first year and they start issuing fixes and making manufacturing changes if there are enough complaints. It takes a few years for long term quality issues to pop up which is around the time the factory warranty expires for first year buyers. Overall Honda is reliable and they make quality cars, but if you buy a first year redesign from any car company then expect more problems than usual in the long run

You can look through here to see what problems have shown up so far:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f266f12?displayRecent

I don't think the 2013 will run into as many problems as the 2008 b/c Honda probably spent more time planning/designing/testing to get things right -- going cheap and cutting corners on the 2012 Civic didn't work out too well for them and they had to redesign the Civic again for 2013 so they probably don't want that happening with the Accord lol

Honda Care extends the factory 3yr/36k mi bumper-to-bumper warranty to the yr/mileage you select (max is 8 yr/120k mi). You have 6 months/6k mi to buy it at the discounted "new car" pricing, after that the price goes up. I would go for the $0 deductible one so you don't have to pay for repairs out of pocket

More info: http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/finance/extended-services
    Brochure: http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/static/pdf/Honda_Care_Coverage_Details.pdf-

Honda extended warranty thread: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef0eeb7?displayRecent

Here's 3 online dealers you can get quotes from (there's probably a couple other reasonable online dealers, look in the warranty thread)
    http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/
    http://www.hyannishondacare.com/
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/
  • hamid786njhamid786nj Posts: 1
    What dealer in Mass and what was the name of sales agent. I am in Mass too and looking for a LX at a good price.
    Thanks Brian for the advice.

I am going to email dealers tomorrow with a price of $28,400 and I will buy immediately. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic that I can achieve that price this week. I'm hoping they would rather deal now than wait until the end of the month.

I'm going to exclude the trade from my negotiating for now and see what their best prices are. I just received a quote for $29,200 and that was without any negotiations. This was from Brewster Honda.
    Thanks again for the helpful advice. I have spent the last few hours researching and reading reviews. I went to see the 2013 Subaru Legacy and wasn't too impressed. It does offer the AWD, but I'm not in the snow too much. Winters here in NY aren't what they used to be.

I am a becoming a little weary with all the redesign talk and began to look into the warranties. I will send out pricing feelers tomorrow and let you know what I end up with. I have never purchased an extended warranty on a single thing that I own.
    I've got one dealer, Brewster Honda, down to $29,100 including destination. They don't know about any trade. I'm staying firm on my offer of $28,500.

I'm going to email Tarrytown Honda again and ask them for $28,750 plus the $11,000 for my car.

I'll keep everyone posted!!
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand - how is asking for 28,750 staying firm on 28,500?
    Look, I need to make a move soon to replace my car.

I'm going to TRY and remain firm. Is that better?

Brewster Honda does not know about potential trade. Tarrytown already knows my plan. Don't know what Brewster would give me. I know Tarrytown is up to about $11.

I honestly don't want to wait until the end of the month. I guess I'll have to visit the dealers to make $28,500 happen.
    Sorry - didn't mean to upset you - guess I didnt understand your intent - it looks like you are getting close to your target price so I'm sure you're gonna get a great deal. I'm like you, if I can make a great deal that makes me happy, I'm not concerned what day of the month it is.
    Definitely not upset. I just didn't want to be taken so literally. I loathe this process and it's making me more and more agitated.

I'm early in the month, but I'm ready to rock. These dealers are not playing ball....yet. I'd rather not travel because of my schedule, so I'm sticking to email for now.

Greenwich Honda's Internet manager said my offer of $28,500 was more than a thousand lower than where they are at.

Currently, I'm sitting at $29,100 with a trade they haven't seen yet.

I'm going to Honda of New Rochelle for some face time and my credit card win my mouth. I'm hoping something good comes from it. I've emailed the Internet manager twice with my current offer and she has yet to email me back.

Any other advice? I'm all ears!!
    Like Brian, I have done this many times - you are armed with a great plan and excellent knowledge. Stick to your guns and the result will be a great deal you are happy with. Brian would want you to wait but I think you can make it work now. Keep it simple - don't allow the trade to confuse things - get a stated selling price (incl destination), a stated trade in allowance for your vehicle, and then review all the fees and taxes to make sure it all jives. If you get within a few hundred of your target and they won't budge, excuse yourself to go home and think it over - they might cough up the extra few hundred before you leave.
    Don't let this process agitate you - you're closer than you might think.
    Thanks so much! I'm responding while looking at another message from a dealer that says there is nothing Honda is doing now or in a few months that will get them to make the price $28,500.

I will wait them out and see what happens. I am hoping that I have the time.

On another note, and NO, this is not about a buying experience. I had to ask though. I have been reading about the navigation and the audio for this car. Is it really going to be a problem? My nav in the 08 has been great.
    BXTEACH,
    I'm in agreement with gmanusmc. You are armed and ready with pricing info and you seem to be able to handle yourself in the car negotiations game. I say Visit as may dealers that are near your house and just work on getting your best price. If you get your targeted price number then work in the trade .but not before. Keep both negotiations seperate.

After this week if you have not meet your price wait til May 30th to start the process again . I am a firm believer in End of the month buying. Dealers play to many games before that last week. . You as the consumer do not have the buying leverage right now. I liked to go in at that 12 hour make my pitch and buy with no nonsense. Dealerships that need those sales numbers/ incentives are ready and willing to sell cheaper than the 1st week of the month.

Starting on the last 2 days of this month if no deal is struck prior..To Eliminate your valuable time and not drive all over the place again Call every dealership with your offer. I have always got my price or very close to it on the last 2 days /last day of any month by bringing many dealerships into the game. Nail down a price with phone negotiations then drive to the dealer to sign papers etc especially with dealerships that seen your trade in car already.
    Here are some more dealerships to call at months end near you.

1- Yonkers
    2- New Rochelle
    3- Friendly

Unfortunately your Trade in is what will hold you up.

Good luck post your deal..........................B

• tjolkotjolko Posts: 13
    For those willing/able to make the drive to the D.C. area, here is the latest deal from Tysons Corner: http://www.hondaoftysonscorner.com/specials/new.htm They are discounting the Accord LX auto sedan by $4,273. The price of $18,997 DOES NOT INCLUDE FREIGHT, DOCS, TAX & TITLE. Also includes 0.9% 36 month financing.
  • pch2001pch2001 Posts: 2
    I couldn't agree more about Honda manual transmissions! I purchased a '13 Accord EX-L V6 MT Coupe and both my wife and I absolutely love it. I've been driving a '91 Accord EX Sedan MT for over 22 years and still have fun behind the steering wheel. I purchased '08 and '09 Accord EX AT Sedans for my kids to use in high school and now at college, but it never felt right when I drove the AT's.

My only complaint is the '13 EX-L V6 MT Coupes are hard to find and dealers are less willing to negotiate. I had to pay invoice ($28,547). At least Honda offered 1.9% 60 month financing on coups.

I owned a '99 Odyssey EX for 12 years and now own a '13 Odyssey LX. I would replace the '13 Odyssey LX with MT Odyssey if/when they ever became available!
  • I hope you didnt buy it at that price. I got $19000 in MA (I know its not NJ) and I didnt even negotiate. It was the end of the month
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    I applaud your passion, and I have driven many manuals in my day, but I am never buying a manual transmission car again. If Honda or any other car maker limited themselves to manuals, they would have a very small market indeed in the United States. And a manual minivan! Three kids in the back, you don't have enough hands as it is! THE HORROR!!!

Regadless how many kids are in the back, the driver's hands are to be used to operate the vehicle while in motion. If man handling is needed, it is only to be applied when the vehicle is stationary.

So, the choice of transmission does not affect the carrying capacity, or the number of children.

Of course if one wants to discipline their kids while at 70 mph, and having coffee in one hand, and cell phone in another... well... then it doesn't matter what transmission is in the vehicle, there is really not enough hands, or eyes, fot that matter, to be driving.
  • Commonwealth Honda - Lawrence. His name was Steve, forgot the last name.
    Get an internet quote first so they know that you've done your homework.
    Wait til the end of the month if you can
  • thefullmontrythefullmontry Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I bought an LX this weekened, here were my numbers for those shopping:

-Dealer city/state (Phoenix, AZ)
    -MSRP (incl destination) ($23,XXX )
    -Invoice (incl destination) ( $21369 )
    -Purchase Price ( $20,952)
    -Downpayment ( 0)
    -Trade allowance ( $4500 - 2001 Highlander 2WD 145k miles)
    -Tax - $1610
    -Title/License - $423
    -Dealer fees ($0)
    -Doc fees ($395)

With that being said we were talking to another couple in Financing and their purchase price was 23k for the exact same car.
    Very well said - I'm so tired of looking in the rear view mirror to see the driver behind me with a cell phone glued to their ear - and that's in a late model Mercedes or Lexus, which I'm almost positive is equipped with Bluetooth - amazing!
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to everyone who helped me out here.

I found that NO dealer really wanted to make a deal now and that I'd be waiting until the end of the month to get this done (Issues with current 08). With that being said, I went to look at my other options.

The lowest I got for the 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi from Brewster was $29,120. That included destination. However, I was not sure how much they were going to give me for my 08.

Tarrytown offered $29,775 and $10,900 for my 08 Accord.

Long story short, I went to Acura and found a Black/Black TSX w/Tech 4 cyl. on their lot. Got some body side molding, all-weather mats, and splash guards for the car. I've always wanted an Acura and now I have one. I paid $28.5 and they gave me $12k for the Accord (Greenwich Acura).

I would have tried harder for the Accord, but I read too many reviews detailing the inconsistent Nav system and the Bluetooth. I do know there is a tsb for them, but I didn't want to risk any other issues with the redesign. My 08 was a redesign (I understand it is several years old), but it was a hassle from day 5.

Good luck to all with the new Accord!!
    Wow bx - what a turnaround - my wife and I have had a few Acuras - they are outstanding cars - I think you're gonna be very happy with this vehicle. It's still a Honda so it should be very dependable and easy to maintain. Congratulations and enjoy!

Bill G
    Bill,

Thanks!!! I know.....happened really quickly.

I'm very excited about my purchase. I know the specs are a little different (leg room and cargo space to name a few), but I've wanted an Acura. Like you said, it's still a Honda. I think I did okay with the deal. The car is gorgeous.

Let the fun begin!!
    Sorry to hear about your mis fortunate buying experience. You can not buy a Accord in the New york/ New jersey area the first week of the month. As you learned.. You got nowhere with a week of wasted time.
    There is no leverage and no incentive for any dealership to sell this car that low in price. The 1st 3 weeks is the dealers time to make as much money off the Un educated buyers. Dealers that dont hit there sales incentives will deal the last 2 days of the month. Thats why you get as many dealerships involved at the end of any month.... The same applied to that Acura you bought on his lot. If you bought that car at months end you might have saved 500 to 1000 more.
    The 3 dealers in my prior post would have gave you a very good if not the best price this month on your model car at Months end.

Take what i'm telling you and apply it to your next vehicle purchase.
    Enjoy your Acura thats a sharp car.

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Congrats on the TSX.

Acura TSX = Honda Accord outside of the USA/Canada.

North American Accord is unique in terms of being a stretched out global Accord aka TSX.

TSX 6 spd manual is the only way to get Accord EX-L sedan with stick in the US.