Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 3,175
    1st of all you should have told the finance guy he had to beat or match your loan with penn fed. when you go back make dealer match or beat your penn loan. the dealership will not want to lose that 1.74% you already have.
    If dealer does not budge when you get your 1st payment from honda use that penn fed check to pay off there balance.

enjoy your new accord

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• kr6822kr6822 Posts: 5
    I think you have overpaid because of the add on's and don't think you can do anything about it now. As the previous comments suggested cancel all your warranty stuff.

I have bought my car around mid april and paid 25,800 OTD (incl tax and tags, mud guards and wheel locks)
  • 336mil336mil Posts: 8
    I have bought my car around mid april and paid 25,800 OTD (incl tax and tags, mud guards and wheel locks)

Can you break out your numbers, please...

Price Paid (for car):
    Sales Tax:
    Title/Tags:
    Options:
  • walletlesswalletless Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Just helped a neighbor buy a base model 2013 Accord LX Automatic with no add-ons/accessories in Bay Area (San Jose area). He just closed a deal for $20,248 + $80 doc fee + TTL (price includes destination fees). I don't exactly remember the final OTD price, but it was around $22300.

Good deal?

The neighbor is brand new in the country so he does not have any credit history. He had secured a 2.74% rate from a local credit union, which Honda finance was unable to meet/beat, so he kept his CU financing.
  • 336mil336mil Posts: 8

Can you break out your numbers, please...

Price Paid (for car):
    Sales Tax:
    Title/Tags:
    Options:

Sorry, I found your numbers up chain:

24046+790 (freight) + 394 (doc fee) +756.91(tax) + 69.75 (title and license) -300 (flex cash/towards honda finance 1.9%) = 25800 OTD
  • jatanjatan Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    adj price 25757.01 -- that's fine (you want to be $500-$1000 below the $26399 invoice price)
    pro pack 799 -- not sure what this includes, but I'm guessing floor mats + trunk tray + mud guards + wheel locks which you can buy online for around $300-350 (overpaid by $450-500)
    tint 299 -- probably costs around $150-200 depending on your area (overpaid by $100-150)
    dooe edge 299 -- I'm guessing its body colored rubber then $80 on eBay (overpaid by $220)
    pin stripes 299 -- completely useless so worth $0 to me (overpaid by $300)
    total purchase 27453.01 -- surprised that the dealer stayed below the car's $28785 retail price lol

If you care about having those accessories then you overpaid by $1100-1200, but if you didn't want accessories in the first place then you overpaid by $1700 (total price of the addons) -- maybe even more if they taxed the addons as well

Nothing you can do about it now -- just accept it as a life lesson and move on (cancel the warranty and maintenance as soon as you can)

You'll probably get a phone call or mailed survey from Honda asking you about your car buying experience -- let them know you were disappointed by the dealer pressuring you into buying the car with overpriced addons that you didn't want and that you'll stick with buying Toyotas in the future lol (you wont get any money back from Honda but at least they'll know you weren't happy about the buying experience)
  • slamshifterslamshifter Posts: 42
    Brian125...the Subaru thread doesn't get the traffic the Accord thread gets so please excuse the desparate attempt to get your attention. I shopped a 13 Accord LX and and got a local dealer to $20,995. I shopped a comparable '13 Sube Impreza 5 door premium edition based on equipment and price point. Sube wins the business with a final negotiated price of 20,000. It's invoiced at $21267. They had it stickered for 22500 and added on a cold weather pkg for an extra $500 so it tipped out at $23,500 range. So...

Selling price: $20,000
    36 month lease
    12000 miles/per annum
    Residual 61%
    MF: .00100
    Base payment $223
    Monthly payment = $239 month ($223 + 6.75% tax)
    Due at signing: $583 (1st month of $223/$250 doc fee/$60 license and registration)

What say you Brian? Good deal or not so good? Appreciate the feedback!
    edited May 2013
    Just read the consumer report review on the New redesigned 2014 Forester.. It has taken over the top spot for best small Suv.
    My only concern was the reports claims the ride was not as good as the 2013 and wind noise was very noticeable.

As far as your deal on the Subaru. Impreza... Excellent price.
    If your residual, and MF; are correct you have done a good job.

I negotiated a deal for a Impreza last year for 900 below invoice with no doc fee's added. The CVT engine is said to be noisy

What is the name of the dealership your considering buying from..

Good luck

• slamshifterslamshifter Posts: 42
    If this meets your seal of approval I am pretty happy then!!! I will be back soon once i pull the trigger
  • cid805cid805 Posts: 4
    City: Bethlehem Twp
    State: Pa

Brian, your advice was very very helpful and I thank you. I made a $25,000 OTD offer to five local dealers with four responses. One (Lehigh Valley Honda) met my offer price pretty quickly and was accepted. The other three were in the $25,450 - $25,500 range.

Making the offer at the end of the month helps. Two of the offers were good only through May 31.

I just got home with the Accord and was very pleased with the transaction. Everyone involved at Lehigh Valley Honda (Elizabeth, Jennifer, Michael and Matthew) was very helpful and professional. There were no surprises. The paperwork was pretty much ready when I arrived and we were done in about 90 minutes. I would definitely recommend them.

The breakdown of the $25,000 OTD is as follows:

Car price - $23,361
    Pa 6.00% Sales Tax - 1,402
    Registration, Tags, etc. - $237

The car price is a net $676 under invoice ($24,037). Could I have done a little better? Maybe, but the dealer is only 20 miles from home and a half-hour drive max. When i first started out, my goal was a net $800 under invoice.

I also ended up purchasing Honda Care (8/120k $0 deductible - Plan D82) at $1,240 retail. This seemed reasonable given what I had read in another forum about the on-line offers from Hyannis and others.

Thanks again!!
    Cid,
    Glad it worked out. Little effort by phone with meet my price i buy today.

End of the month buying always bears fruits..

Enjoy the Accord

• I got a price today in the New Orleans, La area of $27,400 for a 2013 Honda Accord EXL 4 cyl.
    First time car buyer. Would appreciate any input.
    I love those Moon pies....

Invoice price with dest charge = $26,399

You want the sale price to be 500 to 1000 below the invoice price. Then add your states taxes, dmv, and dealers doc doc fee's for the total OTD price.

• Thanks, Brian. After reading some of the posts, car buying is a pretty
    daunting task!
  • I didnt realize how much of a process it was going to be to buy a 2013 Honda Accord Ex coupe automatic 4 cyl!!!!!

The Frisco, TX David Mcdavid dealer told me "they would match and even beat ANY price I brought in as long as it was on paper". Well that was a LIE! I went in today with a new quote I got from a different dealer of $25,244 OTD....and instead of matching the price, they took that price and added $1400 in accessories to the price and gave me a new total of almost $27,000!! I told the dealer that I didnt want any accessories and he told me that I was ultimately getting them for free because the car was already discounted for me and he refused to take them off. I was livid! I know two other people that have been pissed off by this dealership and regret even wasting my time there.

I am going to go to another Honda dealer tomorrow that I have heard good things about and hope for a better outcome, and am keeping my fingers crossed that the end of the month will do me some good.

Has anyone else had the issue of a dealer refusing to sell the car without the accessories? I dont know what else to do! Even though I told them I DO NOT WANT ANY ACCESSORIES, they didnt listen to my request. How do I handle that situation besides leaving?
  • That is the price the dealer is trying to charge me for a 2013 honda accord coupe EX 4 cyl....what city/state did you buy your car from?
  • fields102fields102 Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    Just got done buying the EX
    So. CA
    MSRP 26,195
    Invoice 24,037
    Purchase price 23,335
    doc fee - 80
    sales tax - 1,873
    electronic registration - 16
    License fees - 256
    OTD (before down payment & trade in) 25,560 (I think the high trade in value skewed this #)
    down payment - $500 (wanted to lower my montly payment slightly)
    trade in - 3,000 for '01 camry w/150k miles
    60 months at 1.9

Per KBB, fair trade in value for my car was about $1700(definitely just fair condition) so I don't think the 3000 trade in offer was accurate. I'm assuming they are trying to keep the appearance up of not selling the car between 22,350-22,800??? No one else was offering anywhere near that on the trade in.

I went into 2 places and spoke with a number of others over the phone. I asked for a $385 monthly payment for 60 months, with them getting my car(assumed 2,000 was the best real trade in number) and $500 as a down payment. No one was in the universe at first. The offers I received were crazy. I just kept saying no until they hit the number I wanted.

I would think a purchase price of 22,400 is attainable.
    I was also considering the Sport but wasn't getting anywhere with the number I wanted ($370).
  • agearyageary Posts: 1
    I live in the Chicago area and am wondering what people are paying for a 2013 Accord EX-L 4 cyl w/NAV.
  • fields102fields102 Posts: 6
    Mjk14,

So your purchase price would be 22,280 - 500 = 21,780?
    If I could have gotten that on a Sport(w/cloth interior), I would have jumped all over it. I needed automatic due to the wife. If manual and leather are attractive to you, sounds like an awesome deal. I'm assuming the msrp for the leather is over $1,000. What's the invoice cost of the car with leather? It sounds like your deal is over $2k under invoice. I'd love a recap after you purchase.

No one was interested in giving a great deal on the Sport when I was looking. I was watching the dealers and each only had a couple of Sports, and they kept turning over quickly. I moved onto the EX after reading this site about some of the deals people were getting on the EX.
  • mjk14mjk14 Posts: 12
    Absolutely right.

I just went to two dealerships after speaking with an internet sales rep on the phone and found that they would not offer the price originally stated. On the phone they said that the leather was included in the sport price of around 22k although it was an add on. When I informed them of what I was told on the phone they said that they apologize for being misinformed. In addition, the approximate trade in value was several thousand less.

What a scam, you think you are saving time and headaches by making the phone calls yet instead they will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to the dealership. Has anyone else had a similar experience. In addition, I was told that the 2014s are coming out in two weeks. Is that true? The salesman told me that for the first few months the most they could mark down is about 1k.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Emilynicole - you did the right thing - this is the type of dealer to stay away from. There are dealers who do not pack their cars with unwanted accessories and will sell the vehicle at a fair price. As Brian has stated, $1000 below invoice seems to be the fair market price right now. Stand your ground and you will get the price you are looking for.

Good luck, Bill G
  • zoxozoxo Posts: 6
    2013 Accord Coupe EX L V4

Price Paid (for car): $25,960
    Sales Tax: 906 (6.5% on balance after trade in)
    Title/Tags: $134.(tag not included)
    Options: Pro Pack $0

OTD $27,000
    minus $12,000 on my '08 Accord EX Trade in

$15,000 out of pocket

How did I do??
  • chittinenichittineni Posts: 10
    Hello Vinnu,
    Thanks for your post. and i would need a big favor from you.
    I bought an exact color,model car what you have bought, but i paid 29531 OTD..which is way higher and felt like cheated by davidMcdavid,Frisco dealer..i was going throgh this forum and found you have bought for lesser price and then called up my dealer and argued with him..he was kind of interested to match the price if he gets any document signed by delaership for lesser price..if you can help me by providing any of your quote or purchase order from yor dealer that would be so awesome and i will personally meet you if you are in DFW area to show my gratitude...please please help me if you can..you can send an e-mail to me at lakshminarayana.chittineni@gmail.com
    i hope you understand my situation and hopw you will help me on this..
    please let me know if you have any questions...Thanks in advance
    Brian,
    my dealer now saying he can think of matching the price if i get a documnet or Purchase order or quote from the dealer signed by manger..is there a way that i can get any of the reqd documents from any of our members so that i can demand my dealer about the same.. i hope you can help me in routing the better way..all i can do now is hoping to get some document form someone and then fight with the dealer to get some discount at his mercy...
    please put your comments.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,079
    They all say that, because they know you can't prove it. Which is why it's a waste of time to negotiate that way.

Determine the price you will pay, and stick to it. If no one takes it, check your research..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thanks for your reply..I know it's an attempt to get back my money as i already paid 29531 OTD and bought car on 25th of May at david mcdavid frisco...just wondering if i can get any proof and fight with dealer to reduce some amount..
    i can see you as Host, is there a way that i can get e-mail of username vinnu so that i can meet and check with him if he can provide details..i know it's not good to ask any of other users details but i am so desperate and need help....atleast first and last name of vinnu can be helpful so that i can check in Face book and the name sounds to me as Indian so am hoping he wil definitely help if i can get back to him...
    let's see what i can do in this, hmmm i am a poor fellow who paid rich amount to dealer with my ignorance and lack of knowledge in buying a new car in United States....:(
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,079
    I'm afraid we can't do any of those things...

But, your dealer isn't going to give you any money back, either way... Trust me on that..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Hey C ' the dealer did you in.
    Chaulk this up to a life lesson in Car buying. Dont feel bad dealers do this to many many folks across the country. This is what dealerships are good at. Misleading and taken advantage of people who dont know how to buy.

Cancel your extended Warranty and your 4 yr maint and your ahead of the game. Drive and enjoy your accord and dont look back.

See you in 5/6 yrs will knock the next deal out of the box.............

• hyu12hyu12 Posts: 4
    I went in today, and the salesman asked me to give him a price so i wrote down 25500 with dest. they said they cant do it. the best they can do is 25800.

sale price: 25800
    7% tax : 1806
    DMV fee : 301
    Doc fee : 359
    tire : 7.50

total: 28273.50

i asked for 28000 OTD but they just wont give it to me. the last offer was 28200 so i walked out and left.

what do you guys think of this deal? anybody who brought it in NJ got 28000 OTD for EXL?
    any advice would be helpful, as i plan to call other dealerships around to beat that price and try to make the deal at 28000.
    If you get several dealership involved and be firm on your price you will hit your mark tomm.

invoice w dest on the exl= $26,399
    minus...899...................=$25,500

at 899 below dealers invoice your giving back $359 in doc fee's. Ny doc fee's are only 75 dollars

Your total deal would be around 540 below invoice. if you got 25,500

In New jersey i'd say that is a ok deal Nothing special.

your asking price to buy tomm should be 1000 or better below invoice. Unless your happy with the 540 below price.