Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Hi,

I have been shopping for a 2013 EX CVT for a few months now but want to get some confirmation on a realistic target price. Best I was quoted last month seemed ok but not great - $800 below invoice + $500 flex ($130 doc fee). My thinking on a good deal is at least $1000 below invoice + $500 flex. Is that still attainable? I'll most likely be buying in PA/NJ (Philly metro).

Thanks-
    Hank
  • time2timetime2time Posts: 4
    Brian,
    Sorry. I reworked my list as below. Destination should be $790.
    Numbers are rounded up to integer.
    Error is within $10.
    Paint coating is optional. I asked them to add it.
    Doc fee should be the dealer's margin source.
    I am on East coast.
    I don't want to reveal state and dealer's name to protect both sides.
    My buying strategy is based on your theory. (Thank you!)
    I believe the dealer still had good margin in this deal.

Base price: 22190 (includes wheel lock, mud guard, destination $790.)
    Paint coating (7 year warranty. similiar to Cilajet coating): 530
    Doc fee: 500
    Tax 4%: 23220 x 4% =~ 929
    Dealer tax: 40
    License fee: 70
    Flex cash: -500

OTD: 23759 (0.9 Honda financing.)
  • time2timetime2time Posts: 4
    Okay. I have zero knowledge in sales industry.
    My theory below is just a guess.
    Don't blame me if I am wrong.

My theory is this.
    We should always buy a car from a top salesperson.
    Why?
    I am guessing there is a bonus system behind them.
    Say, if a dealership rewards a big bonus to whoever sells 10 cars in a month, and this salesperson already sold 9 cars, won't he give you a good deal so he can get his bonus?

The next question is. How to find a top salesperson? Will he wander around the parking lot and greet people? Will other salespersons tell you who the top one is? Maybe, maybe not. Then how to find this guy?

My theory: email your best offer to the dealership. And the offer will very likely be reviewed by a manager. He will assign a top salesperson for your case.

Just my theory.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 3,060
    edited July 2013
    Tks............................ Enjoy your new accord.

This is how you find the top salesman in the dealership.

1- His outfit is not up to date and his clothes are messy

2- Very bad breath from cigarettes and coffee

3- Very hyper

4- Tells you any deal is possible

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• pgentpgent Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Has anyone bought an 013 exl v6 + navi accord sedan recently ? and what would be a fair price to pay ,I'm in NYC.

Pete.
  • nomer18nomer18 Posts: 1
    Hi, long time lurker, first time poster - so, sorry if I sound a little redundant like many other first time posters here .... I am in the market for a 2013 LX; yes, I am fully aware that the 2014s are coming out in mid-September-ish. Very possible that I might purchase these next few days (end of month deals!!)

So I have 4 Honda dealers that are within 13.5mi of me ... I haven't even gone for a test drive yet but will do so today or tomorrow, but have been driving nothing but (4) Hondas in the last 13 years, so my only tough decision would be exterior color.

Am I correct to start off by emailing each dealership's Internet/Fleet manager (or even the GM) stating:

- My target goal is $1,800 below invoice of $21,369 (guys, let me know if I should offer $1500 and not $1800)
    - Ask them what are your dealership's doc fees and if they have any incentives including the $500 Flex Cash?
    - Tell them I am looking to Finance (so it'll sway them to give me lower price) - I'm looking to finance around $11.5k for 48mo
    - Tell them I do not want to pay for Destination fees, only DMV + Doc Fees + Tax.
    - Tell them that I am already Approved for a loan from PenFed, unless their F&I want to match Penfed's rate
    - Tell them I do not need/want any extra accessories
    - Tell them I am ready to buy today and they only have 1 chance.

Please advise if I'm goin' about it the wrong way/too aggressive. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Nate
  • m123456m123456 Posts: 2
    Hi Nomer18,
    Your total price, including dealer fees(destination, doc, dealer prep, etc) s/b about 21k. Start negotiating at about $20K. Fairly soon they will clear out inventory for 2014 models. Ask for free oil changes for 3yrs and free wheel locks. Don't give any check or credit card until the price is finalized and credit check is done and financing is confirmed. If you give the dealer a check, and if you don't like the deal, and walk, good luck getting the check back. It can be a big hassle. Financing is currently .9% for 36 or 1.9% for 60 months, with good credit score.
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Posts: 163
    Even if you were correct in your assumption, and even if you knew who the top salesman was, and that he needs to sell 10 to get his bonus, how do you know that you’re not sale number 11? And the sales manager needs to approve the sale and he’s not going to approve your great deal just so the dealership can pay him a larger bonus.
    Think about it, the salesman who keeps on going to his manager with the deal $1,500 below invoice so he can sell a lot of cars is never going to actually sell a lot of cars because he’s going to be fired. The salesman who sells a lot cars and with a big profit is the tops salesman.
    In all probability, every salesman you deal with will get a piece of the commission so if you were met by a salesperson as you entered and asked to be given to another (unless you already had a name), your second salesman will not be motivated to deal with you since he would have to split the commission.
    Good try though.
  • fiona6fiona6 Posts: 9
    I finished my test drive today and didn't not seal a deal. I plan to buy next week. One question I have is that some of the new Accord I saw today are not as new as others, is this normal?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,889
    Hey there Nathan! Welcome to edmunds. There's a STORIES FROM THE SALES FRONTLINES thread here on town hall where we'd love to hear some of your war stories.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

edited July 2013
    Your area will be a factor in pricing as well as Supply and Demand. Is 1800 below invoice a good starting number on a lx model?....YES. If 15 dealerships tell you No your asking price might have to be lowered.

What should your target price be.?? You should go with 1800 below for starters I would. Also remember that if your state has high doc fee's that cuts into your asking price. In actuality your not getting 1800 so dont be scared about that number. You might need to raise asking price to counter doc fee's. i would call ahead to all dealer to find out about flex cash , and doc fee's. You are on the right track to getting a good deal.

Dest/ charge you have to pay. Just add the 790 charge to your vehicles invoice price then minus the $1800 and you have a real good starting asking price. 1800 below is not over the top going into Aug.

1800 to 1200 below is where most deals should fall at this time of the year

• fiona6fiona6 Posts: 9
    this may be a silly question but could you explain what is flex cash? thanks!
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    edited July 2013
    Nate - I think you are making this much more complicated than it needs to be. You will receive many excellent suggestions on this forum on how to buy your car. Take all the advice and mold it into what works for you. First, I'd like to point out that the destination charge is something everyone pays and is not negotiable. If you do all those things you mentioned, you are going to eliminate yourself as a customer from some dealers - they will see you as a grinder who is going to nickel and dime them to the point that what little they make is not worth the effort. I will offer you my two cents on what I think is simple and has worked well for me since the advent of Internet buying.

If you have zeroed in on the make and model you wish to purchase, send an identical email to the internet sales department of as many dealers as you can within the distance you are willing to travel. In the email, request their best price quote including destination charge and their dealer doc fee (for now forget tax and DMV fees as the are fixed and can't be negotiated). The responses you receive will indicate which dealers are interested in jumping into the fight for your business. You will also find out right off the bat how close they are to your target price. You can now narrow your list down to the dealers who are closest to your target price and get them to compete against each other. And as Brian125 advocates, time this as close to the end of the month as possible.

In negotiation, he who speaks first loses - don't tip your hand to them - if you lowball, they will not take you seriously and if your offer is too high, you may leave dollars on the table. Let them tell you their price and work down from there.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Bill G
  • Brian,

I need some negotiation advice.

I saw a demo 2013 Accord EX-L with about 3300 miles on sale for $3000 off MSRP of $28,785 = $25,785. Here is my dilemma. I can buy the same model, brand new for a few hundred less without any negotiation.

I told the dealer that the price would have to be at least $5000 off MSRP to get my interest. His response was to email him my best price. I was thinking of starting around $22k and not going any higher than $23k. Is that reasonable? Here is my question, how low can/should I go?

On a side note, I was going to call a few dealers at the end of the month for pricing on a brand new accord. I was thinking of aiming for not more than $24.5k.

Thanks,
    Mike
    By financing your vehicle thru the honda corp. There is a 500 dollar flex cash incentive you are entitled to. This 500 dollar can be deducted off the bill.

Some dealers have flex cash to give.............. Some dont. Call dealerships first and ask.

edited July 2013
    Buy brand new. Make your best deal for the model you want. That demo vehicle which the dealer still considers a New car would be a better buy at the end of the year. Dealers price right now is not worth it.

Apply the buying methods............Shoot for last 2 days of the month.

• I appreciate the info.
  • That was my plan.

Thanks, again.
  • mrbeernoonmrbeernoon Posts: 8
    edited July 2013
    I asked for $24,500 OTD at Fuller Honda and they honored it. This includes the 500 flex cash for getting honda financing. Other dealer's best quote was $25,500. Don't get the GAP insurance from dealer($700), I'm cancelling mine and will get it from credit union ($100)when I refi.
  • johnh21johnh21 Posts: 2
    Looking for advice on what exactly I should compose as an email to the several different dealers in my area. I plan on starting the negotiating on Monday, July 29th. I have seen on different sites that the invoice after destination fee for the touring model is around 31, 400. That should make my goal price around 30,500. I don't know if they have honda flex cash in my area or not. Olympia, Washington. I plan on using honda financing for 1.9% for 60mos. I also was gonna ask for a few add ons at dealer cost (i.e. splash guards, moon roof visor, rear deck spoiler) I will also ask for 3 years free oil changes when it gets to that point. Any suggestions or help with the email would be appreciated....or anything else for that matter. Thanks
  • meameameamea Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a Accord Sport MT, and I wanted to get some feedback on our price point. I see a couple of references throughout that you can expect $XXX ($600, $800, etc) below invoice for various models excluding the Sport manual transmission. Does that mean I can do better than $800 below invoice on the Sport MT, or worse?

I have a quote through a car buyer's service for $21,600 without dealer's fees, taxes and registration (so ~$600 below $22,200 invoice). Is this good? Can I expect better starting tomorrow (2 days before the end of the month)?
    edited July 2013
    JOHN, this may help

I'm looking to buy a Accord Touring today. i will secure this deal with a credit card deposit if we can agree on price.I will finance the car thru you if your dealership has flex cash to offer, if not you need to match my outside finance rate to earn my business. For xxx below dealers invoice price, plus splash guards, and moon visor installed at dealers invoice i will buy this car today. I have several offers for 1200 below invoice but i will buy today for xxx. Will your dealership meet this price for the sale today.

Please enclose your dealerships doc fee charge if your emailing.
    Also ask if that dealership has flex cash for financing vehicle....if emailing.

Thankyou here is my email, and cell phone.

Send this form of email or call as many dealers on july 30th.

I like to talk directly to the internet manager. Any dealerships internet manager that cant give you a answer on price move on they are a clueless dealership. Dealerships that are not internet savy by now in this day and age will be in trouble soon enough and management needs to go.

I challenge you to Call 30 dealerships and apply this direct form of talk with the Internet Managers.. You will never have to rely on this forum for price again. You will command respect and the good dealerships will recognize you and either meet your offer or counter for the sale. If your not a good negotiator this may not work to good for you. Sending emails with my type of wording will get the ball rolling thou for you.. Your Advantage is most people are asking the dealer for his version of pricing and in my book that is a no- no and a waste of both our time. I dont care what he wants to make. I'm looking for the bottom line price for my model. And this is how to get it.

Dealerships that sell cars identify this kind of buyer. They always take your money. Find those dealerships

You are in control and have the most leverage on the 30th. with the key phrase........... i"m buying right Now.... yes or no. This is how you secure the best price deal in your area. Buying like this helps you to determine what the market price is on your Accord.. Its fast, easy and avoids all that dealership b.s that you hear in this forum over and over and over.

• frisbee12frisbee12 Posts: 3
    Why would you ask to "meet" your prices? I wanted dealers to "beat" the lowest price?

I purchased my LX CVT 2013 honda at the end of June using email approach, by first calling and discussing my intent with the fleet/internet manager. My follow up email was:

I really appreciate the response and detailed price quote from your dealership. I received several prices quotes, and have shown the lowest below. I look forward to receiving your second proposal that may be lower than the dealer price’s I received. I am not interested in any dealer that will just match this price. (Note that taxes and title varied very little between dealers, so I haven’t shown this below.)

Base price including destination charge $20,045
    Dealer Add-ons $ 0
    Doc Fee $399
    Other fees $ 0
    Total Dealer Price (Before Tax/Title/License) Without Finance/Flex Cash $20,444

I ended accepting the following offer (The winning dealer threw in their $497 tint, wheel/door guard package at no charge and also had flex cash available):

MSRP + Destination $23,270 (Used for % calcs below)
    Invoice + Destination $21,369 (Used for % calcs below)

Dealer Base price including destination charge $20,045

Dealer Add-ons $0

Doc Fee $369

Other fees $0

Total Dealer Price $20,414

Total Dealer Price, Less $500 Flex $19,914

Sales Tax $1,564

Title/License $406

TOTAL OUT THE DOOR PRICE ( w/ $500 Flex Cash) $21,884.

% Off MSRP (w/o doc fee) 13.9%
    % Off MSRP (w/doc fee) 12.3%
    % Off MSRP (w/doc fee & inc. $500 flex) 14.4%

Price below Invoice w/o doc fee -$1,324
    Price below Invoice w/ doc fee -$955
    Price below Invoice w/ doc fee & inc $500 flex -$1,455
  • mike372mike372 Posts: 354
    Brian, I am back in the car game after taking a few month recess. Still considering buying that 2013 Accord CVT, but may wait till the 2014's come out since it does not look like the dealers are willing to sell for less than they did 4 months ago on a 2013. Just emailed New Rochelle Honda and the best internet price they came up with was 20,870 inc doc fee, excluding reg and NJ tax. That is actually 70 higher than a few months ago. And they said 500 flex cash expired. So at this time it looks like 1000 to 1500 less than invoice is an impossiblility, unless you can walk on water. I talked to the internet sales manager. And they came up with the best price a few months ago.
  • mike372mike372 Posts: 354
    Would you please post the name of the dealer who gave you this remarkable price on a new 2013 LX Accourd CVT. Was there any trade involved?
  • johnh21johnh21 Posts: 2
    Thank you so much Brian, I appreciate the help!
  • frisbee12frisbee12 Posts: 3
    Purchased at San Tan Honda, which is in the Phoenix market.

Appreciate the feedback on price, as thought it was a good price, as compared to what I had found on this and other forums. My local dealer nearby, who services my other Honda (and have spent thousands at...) would not come close to touching this deal, as they focused on providing a "fair" price, which happened to be about $1,200 more than my final purchase price at San Tan.

I think end of month purchase is the way to go - as my previous purchase in 2005 went thru Costco pricing (scheme), and I didn't fare nearly as well.
    edited July 2013
    Frisbee,
    This is why you ask dealers to meet your Price ''and not beat the lowest price."

Because Your lowest prices are not anywhere near market value pricing of
    1200 to 1800 below invoice. Never tip you hand to any dealership that you have several offers at xxx price. Dealer now knows his price range for selling the LX to you.

Never assumed that your 4 or 5 emailed price quotes are close to final negotiation numbers. Never give any dealership 4 or 5 prices that are close to beat . What is that telling the dealership. It indicates pretty much what your intent to buy is. . Selling Dealer will now counter very small. Couple of buying tips to think about for next time.

If you were buying this car 4 months ago dealers would of ate you up with your buying approach. Tweak it alittle and you will be able to get dealerships to sell at his bottom line price.

Reading in this forum on prices paid gives everybody the opportunity to see how much above and below invoice price people are paying for the different models. Use it to your advantage.. For most buyers this is how you gauge pricing and your market value.

Supply and demand play a big part in pricing along with certain area's.

If i read that in chicago, maryland and boston people are buying a certain model for xxx which is 500 /600 more than other area's guess what all my contacted dealers have to meet that price for my business. Play the game

Dealers all claim they work off the same pricing numbers. hold them to it. Challenge them for the best price for the sale that day. Counter all high doc fee charges by applying them to your asking price..

edited July 2013
    Sport honda in m.d. has a very large CRV inventory. Find your model and color and make your offer to buy . Anderson and Pohanka honda are all worth a try. Be careful with Anderson they add alot of accessories to there vehicles.

edited July 2013
    John
    Depending on your area you might not get as high as 1800 below. Figure out your high buying asking price and your bottom line buying price for all dealerships. The touring models might not be selling like the other models making for a very good deal with the right dealership. Check dealers inventory and call dealerships with alot of touring models. By Expanding your dealership search within 100 miles of your house could prove to be a bigger factor in getting your targeted price for your model.

I plan on buying my friend his honda Civic on july 30th at 6pm. i have him getting together his list of dealership within 75 miles of the New york and the Tri-state area with his model and color. On that evening we will go down the honda list make our calls and secure a purchase for our targeted price Civic.
    Preparation is the key for a faster transaction. Dealerships, names of all internet managers with numbers and emails is the plan for july 30th.