Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    User404 - congratulations on your new car! Although I don't know the details of your trade in vehicle and if it had equity or not, it looks like you did well. Honda Accords are great cars and I think the EX is the sweet spot. I am encouraged that you took what you learned in this forum and molded it into a buying process that worked for you. It sounds like you were methodical and calm and that the whole thing went down with little to no stress. Enjoy your new ride!

Bill G
  • johnnguyen714johnnguyen714 Posts: 39
    edited August 2013
    Don't get me wrong. Maybe there are a few good salesmen in Honda World. I personally don't recommend people going there because I experience/read/hear about so much bad things about that dealer. Most of the time you walk in some Asian Dude will try to play the "help our race card" which I don't mind but only if I am getting a deal out of it. People there give Asian people a shady name (I am Asian). Also I did email several dealers around the area. Like I said before, maybe they have reached their quotas this month so they are not offering me a good deal. Those prices are every day prices anyone can get so it is not a deal by any means. I am still emailing a few more so I have more choices. Also I am not the type of person that takes another dealers low quote than run to another asking them to beat it by $100. That is something I will never do because, I feel if they are offering me such a low quote and not paying games, they have earned by business and that extra $100 is not worth my ethics and morals. I do know this is a common problem here in socal so dealers don't tend to give out good quotes anymore. I do agree with Isellhondas this area has so much dealers so the buying experience has became a nightmare.
  • pjny77pjny77 Posts: 12
    User404 - When you say the negotiated price was $1,300 below invoice, does that price include destination ($790)?

Also, do you mind sharing your lease term, MF, and residuals that you were quoted?

I can't say I've had the same experience. I've been prepared too...maybe too prepared because I know exactly what I want and I think that turns off the dealer. They stick to their guns and don't budge. I was fully prepared to sign last night, but no one wanted to negotiate.
  • user404user404 Posts: 17
    Hey pjny77,

$22,200 included destination charge. It also included HMF $500 credit, I wanted to take it further and apply the credit to $22,220 but knew that it would lead to nowhere. One thing I should've done was to negotiate the price and THEN mention $500 credit, but I am sure dealer would've said something like, "this price already includes credit."

MF was 0.00075 and residual was at 59%.

What dealer(s) did you deal with?
    Thanks Bill!

Yes, surprisingly I was calm, there were moments when things were a bit stressful. But it's a good thing I had calculator app so that I could re-calculate every change in price. One thing I will do next time is make dealer physically sign off (if possible) on every change that is made during negotiations so that there are no doubts about who said one and how someone misunderstood what was being said.
  • pjny77pjny77 Posts: 12
    I dealt with Nanuet Honda in Rockland and Mt.Kisco Honda in Westchester. Mt. Kisco also told me that $500 flex cash was all gone...didn't know if I could verify this or not.

Regardless, both experiences left a lot to be desired.

In regards to your negotiations, how did you bring the dealer down from their original offer to your final offer of $22,200? Was there a lot of back and forth? This is where my deals fell apart. Their attitude was "this is our number and we're sticking to it".
  • I'm just curious but did you obtain an online quote before heading down to the dealerships or was your plan to negotiate in person?
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Hang in there John - you are going about this the right way. And you are right to avoid a dealer that you know for a fact is employing questionable business practices. I've received competitive quotes from them in the past but never actually executed a deal with them, sometimes when you are physically in the dealership, their whole demeanor changes and that's unfortunate. Keep up what you're doing by gaining as much information and knowledge as possible, and I am confident you will land a great deal - don't rush things if you don't need to.
    Keep us posted on how things are going.

Bill
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, there was about half an hour during negotiating the price. My range was $21,500 to $22,500, last number being the price at which I walk away. Realistically that what I expected to pay - $22,000 to $22,300. I didn't expect to pay $21,500, but starting from there gave me room to lose some of my price due to unexpected hick ups whatever they might have been. I guess it's just as what was being said here - if dealer has quota to meet he will negotiate with you. He is not there to be your friend, neither are you. I had experience similar to yours, call dealership ask for the price, they tell me straight up this is the price and we are not moving one bit.

Regarding $500 flex cash, I agree it's hard to verify. They can tell you whatever makes sense for them.

One last thing. I did a lot of research and printed out a lot of information ranging from tax laws in NJ to breakdown of all prices. Here is an example. I brought the whole stack of papers with me and was always looking through them to verify, first to show dealer that I know what I am talking about (or at least think I do) and to be on a target of how price change will affect OTD pirce. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it was suggested by someone here.

Don't despair. Some dealers are outright nasty and just don't care, others might be more approachable.

If these dealerships are closer to you, may be it's worth going there and try talking in person, I am sure a lot of them don't want to talk over the phone because they want you on their field to have home field advantage. Good luck!
  • sdlstevesdlsteve Posts: 11
    I'm trying to get an Accord for $23000 OTD (approx $1500 in taxes/title fees). I've received a quote for $23800 but I've also been told by a few dealers that we are thousands of dollars apart in price. Where I appreciate the competition in getting the best price I do feel that some dealers don't take into account how much information there is about market price. I did hold my tongue though when one dealer mentioned that I hadn't taken into account the dealer fees although I did laugh when I read it.

Would love to hear if anyone else is getting near this price.
    edited August 2013
    Dealers don't care how much you or I know because majority of buyers don't know. All you can do is survey your market area and hope for the best outcome which is finding dealer that will be willing to meet your price just to meet his quota. Finding such dealers for me was constant communication from him via email or phone - otherwise they wouldn't bother.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    Not surprised you got a good deal. Any store stuck with six EX manuals would do whatever it takes to get rid of them.

Nothing "wrong" with them but they are very poor sellers.

You were wise to go in at 11:00. Whoever suggests coming in shortly before closing is dead wrong. People are tired and want to go home in a lot of cases. They may just decline your offer instead of having to stick around two more hours when everything gets done.

Sounds like it worked to your satisfaction and that's all that really matters.
    edited August 2013
    Thanks isellhondas,

Aside from other reasons I came at 11:00 because I didn't want to start going out of my mind by end of the day.

Regarding stocking 6 Accords manuals, I am sure they had their reasons. I am thinking trade...
  • Local dealer in MD EXL with Navigation $25595. Good price?
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,739
    Fiona,

I had a good feeling about you young lady. You did very good for a 1st time buyer. You asked the right questions and did your homework.

Enjoy your new car

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

edited August 2013
    Congrats on the new purchase. If Princeton dealer was not looking to sell that cheap you would of had problems with the limited ex models. It always comes down to supply and demand. Your best deal did lie at that dealership with 5 models on there lot.. I hoped you learned alot in the little time you were here. You were correct in your assessment on me. I have over 40 years experience in the art of buying and negotiations with close to a thousand vehicles under my belt by now. Back in the early 70's before internet and all these wonderful sites with a breakdown of prices i used to go in and out of the american dealerships and try to work my best deals. Over time you learn the tricks of the trade. Its no different today with the exception we the buyer have a bigger advantage. Dealerships cant get over as much as they did years ago. Kind of unfair now ....... LOL

Take what tips you learned here and build on it with every new car purchase.

• Wow..That's a great price. I was quoted about $25.5k for an EX-L without navigation in MA last month.

Does it include flexcash? What are the prices like for an EX-L w/o nav in MD?
    Thanks Brian. Your insight was very helpful and without help from you and folks here I would probably paid a much higher number. Greatly appreciate these forums.
  • For EXL no Navigation a local MD dealer quoting $23999. Flex cash included. Ourisman honda in Bethesda, MD.
    edited August 2013
    Steve

I'm not here calling anyone a liar. Very few but some of these posts are not true with price paid.. In your case and area. Take the high and low prices and find a medium and make that your go after price on your model.

Call/ email all dealers first with your asking price to buy. At the end of your targeted dealers you now negotiate with dealerships who want your business.
    If you prefer to walk in and out of dealerships thats fine . Do your legwork on line first.

There is no reason to post any more info on buying it has been covered in the past 5 threads in detail. Go read and apply to you.

Supply and demand will play a big part on dealers lots effecting your price.

Do not try to get the lowest price you see in this forum.. most likely your not getting it.

When dealerships and salesman identify you as just another HERB trying to buy a car they will walk all over you. Playing there tired game. When you educate your self on How and When to buy , Know your pricing and your target area pricing along with dealers doc fee charges makes for a easier trans-action. When salesman start to run there arrogance on you Open your mouth and slap them in place with knowledge.... educate them.

• That's also a good deal. I am hoping to get a deal at the end of the month in that price range here in MA.

Thanks again for the info.
  • I got the EX for 24500 OTD here in San Diego.
  • Thank you for the input. That price sounds about right where I am willing to buy it. 24,500-25k out the door would be perfect. I will use that as a guide.
  • For $24500 otd, 1.9% interest comes to $428 a month. The finance charge is about 500 for the life of the loan.
  • Your invoice does not include destination charge, my total invoice including destination was $24063, I sealed the deal with $24500 OTD with honda financing. all dealers seem to include the wheel locks, splash guards and trunk liner.
    edited August 2013
    BLue

Let me know what price's you are getting from the M.A./boston dealers in the up comming weeks and right before you are going to buy. I only want the dealerships that are over 1k without incentives for the EXL model.

Tks

• I will be emailing some dealers towards the end of the month. I have 5 to 6 dealers on my list. I am hoping that prices have dropped compared to last month.

Could you clarify this statement: I only want the dealerships that are over 1k without incentives for the EXL model.
    I want your list of dealerships in M.A. that will sell for 1000 or more below invoice price. Any dealer that lets say wants 800 or 900 below i'm not interested.. dealers willing to go 1200 /1300 are were i'm looking to push getting 1500/1600 below with any incentives.

You need to expand your emailing list to at least 15 dealerships. keep me posted in the M.A. area............ Tks

• alpha123alpha123 Posts: 15
    I know this is an accord forum but just wanted to post how my situation turned out. I ended up getting a new pearl highlander base for $26075 + TTL. $4500 below sticker and about $700 below invoice. Good enough for me. The techniques I read about here did work. I even had one dealer tell me he respected my tactics and then proceeded to break down every bit of his price, holdbacks, advertising, wholesale finance cost, etc. that gave me even more confidence in the pricing I was getting. Also, by dealing with 10 dealers over the Internet and phone I saved myself time and was able to get a sense for market pricing. Best of all, I ended up buying from the same dealership I bought my last car and it's right down the street.
  • Brian,

Thanks for clarifying. I had to eliminate a few dealerships from my search given their sales tactics dealing with them last month. They are as follows:

Kelly Honda in Lynn
    Commonwealth Honda in Lawrence
    Honda Gallery in Reading

The following dealerships were not prepared to budge on their online sales price (They offered flex cash but wanted me come to the dealership):

Herb Chambers Boston/Burlington
    Honda Weymouth

Honda Cars of Boston had given me the best quote at the time for $25,119 (I am not sure if it included Flex Cash). You could try them out. I might reach out to them again and see whether their price has changed.

I had also contacted Honda North, and although I was not offered the best price, I felt I could negotiate with them. I will reach out to them again.

As I stated in my earlier post, I would be reaching out to about 6 new dealerships but I will also include a couple from last month.

I am hoping to get a deal at the end of the month. If not, I might just wait for the 2014 models to be released.