Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cardionpcardionp Posts: 21
    I am getting cross eyed looking for car online. I need help with this. I have my car narrowed down. I am giving my son my 2003 accord v6 which I bought new and now has 195K on it. Seems like a good car for a new driver to me. Anyway, I want a v6. I want black leather interior and am flexible on the rest. I have searched for a gently used one with this criteria and no luck thus far and am tempted to buy new though it goes against every bit of Dave Ramsey advice!! Thoughts on this? Also, just need some direction on negotiating my best deal whether new or used. I only fear getting used because I don't want to buy the problem child. Any good advice is appreciated!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,700
    edited August 2013
    If you fear buying a used car you probably shouldn't buy one.

You want a V-6 and you want black leather and you want a "gently used" one.

Seriously, Hondas depreciate so little that even IF you find the car of your dreams you may find it's not much less money than a new one.

Dave Ramsey has his opinion and on most makes of cars I agree with him.

Just like in these forums there are a lot of "experts" dispensing what they think is sage advice.

I do think you should consider new rather than used and get exactly what you want. The four cylinders are much more popular than the V-6's and finding a black leather interior will REALLY limit your market in used cars.

And, if you drove a new four cylinder Accord you may no longer feel the need for a V-6.

Good Luck!
  • bethpabethpa Posts: 29
    edited August 2013
    I have been maintaining two older cars for my college age kids. I am looking at selling the two cars they drive today and use the proceeds to get two Civic LX leases for the kids. I have seen $89/mon with $1995 down for 27 months that looks good. Both the kids would qualify for the college grad program but the lease would be in my name.

The question is I am looking to possibly replace my 2010 Accord EXL at the same time. I have no urgency to replace the car right now but I figure if leasing two Civics and buying an Accord at the same time might get me a much better deal. Is there any way to play this buy calling the sales manager at the dealers I'm looking at? Possibly the end of the month getting 3 sales from one buyer might give me some more negotiating power. My target is the $89/month with $1995 on the two Civic LX's. The Accord EXL is $22500. I know that is a stretch on the Accord but maybe buying 3 cars will make it work. Anyone out there in the business who knows better let me know so I don't waste anyone's time chasing this Accord number.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Are you saying you want to buy a 2013 Accord EXL for 22.5? If that's the case, I don't think you stand much of a chance - that's around 4k below invoice. Also, beware of those leader ads that say 89 or 99 a month on a lease - they are usually on one or two specific vehicles at a dealership and they may not be there when you arrive. The best way to get a good lease deal is to negotiate the lowest selling price you can, get a very good money factor and lease a car that has a high residual value (aka holds its value).

Bill G
    My thinking is a good deal on an EXL is $24.5. The flex cash on three cars, assuming $500 each, gets me $1500 off $24.5 so I'm close to to the $22.5 assuming a dealer wants three units sold. I'm not sure that matters until the end of the month. If this is never possibility let me know. I just hate to waste anyone's time trying to run this up the flag pole.
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited August 2013
    I would be surprised if you get $1500 in Flexcash for 3 cars. My understanding of Flexcash is that it is a one time $500 discount offered by dealers (on a first come basis) for financing through Honda Financial Services. The sale price of the Accord EX-L I have seen is somewhere between $25k and $25.5k without incentives. You might be able to get it for $24.5k at the end of the month, but it depends on where you are located and whether a dealer needs to meet their monthly quota.

If you are planning to buy at the end of the month, it is a good thing to have started researching prices this early. There are some previous posts on this forum that give advice on how to negotiate with dealers.

Good luck.
    That is the plan to do the homework now and have everything ready for the last weeks the month.

I know the Accord is the stretch in my plan and I don't have a gun to my head to buy that car now.

Ill have to start hopping with the dealer sales managers and see if I have any takers.
    If you haven't already, you should start your research by reading the past few months posts on this forum. In my opinion, I think you are starting with unrealistic expectations and are likely to get frustrated quickly. These cars are selling well and there are aggressive deals available, but I do not think you will find any dealers willing to lose a couple grand just to move a unit. As far as the flex cash, keep in mind not all dealers have it and if they do, I'm not sure it is transferable between multiple cars/transactions. You might be able to get it on each separate deal - not sure. At any rate, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Bill
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited August 2013
    I also wanted to add one more thing.

Before reaching out to dealers about trading in all your 3 cars, make sure you found their true Kelley blue book value at kbb.com.

With regards to taking advantage of the college grad program, it is my understanding that your children would have to finance or lease the cars through Honda Financial Services to take advantage of that offer. It will not hurt to find out all that info, first. Here is some info: http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/finance/college-grad-program
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Posts: 163
    Think of the dealer's side using hypothetical numbers. Let's say he knows that he makes $1,000 on average on each car sold or leased so he would expect to make $3,000 on two Civic and an Accord. You come along and will lease two Civics but would like the dealer to give you a fantastic deal on the Accord since you will be leasing two Civics. So you want the dealer to only make $100 on your Accord. Well, if I'm the dealer, unless I'm making $2,900 on the two Civics, why should I sell you the Accord for so little profit. I'd rather sell to three different people and make $3000 in total.
    In your case, do you know the selling price of the Civic in the lease deals because if he's willing to sell you an EXL for $24.5, the selling price of the Civics must really be excessive.
  • Is $24,600 on the road a good price for Accord EX here in MD?
    Invoice on an Accord EX automatic is around 24k so your on the road (out the door?) should be achieveable, depending on your sales tax and DMV rates. It's easier to compare the dealers' net selling price (incl destination and any dealer doc fee) without the taxes, etc because the government type fees are usually fixed and there is little to nothing you can do to change them.

Bill G
    Huskerfan5, I completely understand it is a long shot but the $100 made on my deal would benefit the dealer (potentially) if they needed my deal to make their monthly number for some better bonus or whatever the manufacturer had to offer. That is my only logic here and from the posts so far it confirms the long shot nature of my proposed offer to a dealer.

I'm still doing my homework and plan to start shopping hard next week and see as I get closer to the end of the month if I can work something out.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,685
    edited August 2013
    BethPA,

2- Civic's and 1- Accord. This is a perfect sale for one of the higher volume dealerships they will offer a lower price where as the little dealer may give you a good deal depending on there sales/ leased numbers for the month.

The selling dealer would be making his money on the three vehicles being financed, and how close to invoice he can sell them to you.

I would try to negotiate dealers doc fee's if there high to being reduced for your business on a possible 3 car deal.

Your best approach to this deal is knowing the leased numbers on the Civic. Money factor/ residual/cap cost and miles per yr.

Targeting price 1200 to 1800 below invoice price on the Civic with the right leased numbers applied.

Accord at 1200 to 1800 below invoice price for the sale.

This should be your frame of mind on pricing and buying.

I'm not sure how much this may matter but Honda's 3rd Quarter Sales ends in Sept, this could help with pricing at the end of month especially with smaller dealerships.

The more dealerships you get involved by Call/ Email the better chance you have to getting your targeted price.

Good luck....... you should do good this time of the year.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

Thanks Brian125 for the info. What I have seen on the lease of the Civic's is $1999 down excluding the 1st month and doc fees etc. That deal has the MRSP at $19755 and a residual of $12055.55 for 36 months. I would rather stay at a lower term and have seen 27 month terms at $89 with $2995 down. But I have not yet done my homework on the residual, etc. My thinking is I will have the two Civics bought my college kids who will be out of school in 24 months and have a decent car at around $12k residual. The 27 month deal works better for my kids time table.

I guess it is time to get the homework started:)
    edited August 2013
    Your a good mom. Have the guys in the lease forum break down that deal for you with the correct numbers on the lease. I'm sure Huskerfan5 who replied to your post would be happy to give you the correct info and some great insight on leasing and what not to do.

last point and i dont know the answer on this... Flex cash incentive for financing tru honda. Honda may only give you a 1 time offer of 500 flex regardless of how many vehicles your purchasing. If not you need to call as many dealerships that your willing to travel to and make your deal with those dealers that will give you 1500 flex for all 3 cars. Call honda to find out.

Another thought is being your paying loans off anyway see if you could put both your kids names on each lease as a co - borrower making it separate sales and getting the full benefit of the flex cash.

Thanks again for the info. By the way, I'm a good dad but will be their mom if that gets me a better deal for their cars:)

I have started emailing some dealers so we'll see what comes back. I'll certainly post what I learn.
    edited August 2013
    I meant your wife is a good cook....LOL.. Please post the asnwer to the flex cash on 3 vehicles when you find out..

I should of put the beth and P.A. together.

Good luck

Hey you must know her, she is a great cook:) Thanks for the help.
    It all boils down to does the deal make sense?

You can buy one car or ten cars,, if the deal makes sense you'll drive home in a new car or three new cars.

They won't lose money on the Accord if they are making next to nothing on the Civics.
    A question for you.

I've been out of the business for a couple of years but knowing what I know your deal doesn't seem remotely possible.

Why an EXL Accord? Do you really "need" an EXL or could you settle for what is now a well equipped LX? That could possible work...maybe.
    For Bethpa - I see what Isell is getting at - you can probably jump into an LX for 5-6k less than an EXL. I have not pulled the trigger on one of these yet, but when I visited a dealer for a close look, I was really surprised with what they did with the LX. It's got many standard bells and whistles now that weren't there before unless you sprung for an EXL (alloys, Bluetooth, steering wheel audio, 4 wheel disc, and more). Just something to think about.

Bill G
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Posts: 163
    bethpa, stop thinking about getting an EX-L, not because you should be thinking LX since you appear to be financially sound, but because you need to concentrate on getting a good deal on the Civics.
    If you got the Civics at the low end of Brian’s range of $1,200 - $1,800 under invoice and applied the current residual and money factors, the lease payment including the $595 lease inception fee would be $174. At the high end, $157.
    Your deal requires $2995 down. For a 27 month lease, every $1000 decrease in the capitalized cost of the car increases the payment by about $38, so your lease would be $203. I’m also inclined to believe that if you looked at the dealer’s ad, the $2995 is considered a cap cost reduction and makes no mention of the lease inception fee being included so if you put that into the lease, it would now be $225.
    If you go to the Honda website, they have an advertised deal of zero due at signing and then 35 payments of $210. The lease inception fee is included. They also say that the cap cost of the car is $19,194 so when you deduct the $595 fee, the selling price is actually $18,599 which is $176 over invoice. Not a good deal but better than yours. In fact, dealers love people going for the nationally advertised deal since there is always a large profit margin in them, thought they will complain to you that they hate these deals but are forced to do them.
    Also, never put money down on a lease. If the car is totaled or stolen, you lose everything you paid at signing. I recommend you put everything into the lease including doc fee and title/registration and asking for 36 equal monthly payments. The check you give them when you pick up the car should be the same amount as your monthly payment.
    Incidentally, if you go to the Weymouth Honda website’s lease calculator, you’ll find that their Civic lease is for around $1,000 under invoice, so if you don’t like to negotiate, take the kids to Boston :) .
    Funny thing is one of my kids did see the Weymouth dealer site and it looks like they are one of the best for pricing I have seen. We're in eastern PA so depending on what happens with my dealers I've contacted I might just work something out with them.

For the record, 4 dealers were contacted and none have replied back in almost 24 hours. I find that hard to believe but I guess selling cars these days must be very good.
  • rman66rman66 Posts: 21
    I received an email from a dealership on in the DC area for an EX-L NAVI for $25883 not including tax. I am in Seattle, where the prices are atleast $3000 more. But before I start booking a ticket to head to the DC area, I wanted to check if there are any other areas in the country offering good deals on the EXL-NAVI based on y our experiences.
    thank you.
  • Prices are cheap in DC compared to MA. I am in the market for an EX-L without nav.

Was there any Flex cash included?
    edited August 2013
    If you decide to get pricing from Weymouth honda contact Herb Chambers honda also up in M.A. These two dealerships dont like each other. Reference that you are dealing with them also for pricing.

Pricing in M.D is very aggressive with some of the best prices in the country on Accords, CRV, and Civic. Here are just a few to contact with getting your targeted price on the lease.

Criswell
    Sport
    Anderson
    Pohanka. great prices has been killing the other honda dealerships in pricing.dealership had flex cash last month.

Ourisman

One of these dealers in M.D. will lease you a 2013 Civic on the low end of 1000 below invoice matching Weymouth starting ad offer pricing.

I would send out emails and make your calls letting these dealerships know you are buying/Leasing at the end of Aug. here is what i am looking for .. You could quietly negotiate thru this month with dealers making a good deal at the end. Beginning and middle of the month buying is a waste of time. I would reccomend you start your buying process the last week of the month and making your best deal the on the very last days in Aug.

edited August 2013
    If your going to fly across the country the selling dealership needs to fax to you the .....Buyers order...bill of sale. Once you both sign it you then hold vehicle with a credit card deposit til you get there.

Do not attempt to go there first without buying vehicle via phone and fax

Is it really worth going thru all that . Thats even alittle to extreme for me and i'm a nut job when it comes to getting good pricing.

In your case i would consider a 8 to 10 hour bus or car ride round trip in your area with a dealership giving you the best price .

Re-Check your prices and model i doubt highly a 3000 dollar difference in your area to D.C.. Up to 1k might be more likely

• kyrptokyrpto Posts: 216
    I took a train to NOVA purchase the first Hyundai Sonata Hybrid sedan sold in Virginia in late April, 2011. Not very expensive.
  • vservser Posts: 48
    Was interested in an accord. I don't think they make a car with the options that I want. Resident experts, please lmk.

Looking for white with black leather, navigation and satellite radio. Seems like the sport has white with leather but without xm radio. The push button start is also nice to have. Thx in advance.