Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ken117ken117 Posts: 196
    It is correct, allowing the sales person to think you are leaving without buying will often result in a better deal.

Recently bought an Acura. Basically settled on my price. Salesman spoke with the tower. He came back and said the price was good bit the tower required an additional $350 for registration. I said I would wait a bit, thanked him for his time and started to leave. I barely got out of the chair when he said OK no additional $350.

I took the $350 and bought an IPad.
  • ken117ken117 Posts: 196
    You are exactly correct about Truecar. TC is only good for people who do not negotiate. This is no different then any car buying service.

The prices listed as target by TC are essentially set by the dealer. As such those prices are far above what is possible.

As you mention, at a minimum the TC price is overstated by $300.

Truth is, anyone buying at the TC price has left money on the table and made a dealer very happy.
  • Thanks cars12345!
    Could you please share what was the last quote you got from Bernardi?
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Thanks karhill for the very very good post. All you folks on here to learn the ins and outs of car shopping and how to achieve good deals should read karhill's post several times. You HAVE to be in control of the entire process. You do this by being armed with knowledge and information gained from these forums and other good sources. You should never pay for items the dealer has added that you don't want - its their problem they put them on. They can either throw the added stuff in the deal no charge or come up with another car that doesn't have unwanted stuff on it. Or you can leave and buy from a dealer that doesn't do this.

Ok - off the soapbox - gotta go top off my new tires that have this newly formulated H2O filling in them - no need for air. Problem is they're real heavy and a chore to rotate. That's ok - got em for 985 - regular price is 995.

Bill G
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Posts: 163
    Bill,
    The reason you got it for $985 is because that's yesterday's technology. Today it's H2O2. Hydogen peroxide filled tires deliver one extra mpg or so I'm told ;)
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited August 2013
    Brian,

I have agreed on a deal in writing with Prime Honda. Here are the details:

Invoice: $26,399
    Sales price: $24,899 ($1500 below invoice)
    Flex cash: $500 (towards down payment)
    Final sales price after flex cash = $24,399
    No dealer add-ons
    Documentation Fees: $295
    Title and Registration = $125
    Sales Tax of 6.25%

My second best offer was from Honda Cars of Boston. I dealt directly with the internet sales manager via e-mail. I was offered a sales price of $24,998 ($1401 below invoice) plus $500 flex cash. They did not have my color combination in stock so they were going to charge me an extra $100 to locate it. That brought the sales price to $1301 below invoice. Their documentation fees were $298, and title and registration fees were $130. They were even going to charge me $89 to install wheel locks.

Everyone else was at around $1000 below invoice.

I told Prime that I would buy today at that price and after a few emails over two days, they agreed.

I will try and post more info tomorrow after I check out the car and sign the papers.

Thanks everyone for your input, and to anyone out there looking to buy a Honda Accord, this forum is the best source of information for pricing in your area and great advice.
  • t2882t2882 Posts: 8
    Hi all,

I am brand new to the forum and have been reading a good majority of the posts on this topic as i am in the process of diving in to purchase a 2013 honda accord sport sedan. I do not intend on adding any extras as i can purchase down the road for cheaper. I prefer a black exterior but read its better to keep the option that im not particular on color? I just started to compile a list of dealers around the bay area (im based in SF). I plan to contact all dealers by phone to get the internet sales mgr information and contact them directly by phone/email asking for breakdown i price: doc fee, TTL, etc. Can someone point me to the msg# of the email template/conversation when wanting to purchase for my bottom line price from the internet sales mgr?

I have seen invoices price different amongst different sites, from edmunds i show $22,929, at this
    time (labor day weekend, sept approaching) what should i aim for sales price? What about for the EX Sedan? I plan on having financing situated with a Credit union and may finance w/honda if the interest is lower and they offer flex cash. Once i am set on price, is there anyway to lock the price down once i get there? I want to make sure i cover all my bases down because i like everyone else do not want to get swindled. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance
  • akronoh77akronoh77 Posts: 9
    edited August 2013
    Took the advice of some of the pros on here and changed my approach for the 2013 LX CVT Lease.

The best offer I've gotten in 800 below invoice.

Invoice:
    Sale Price: 20482
    Residual: 13263
    Tax: $469
    Acquisition Fee: 595
    Total Cap Cost: 21645
    Lease Factor: .00075
    Term: 36 months/15k per year.

This brings us to a 259 monthly payment. Would it be unreasonable to ask for another 800 below invoice?
  • t2882t2882 Posts: 8
    Hi all,

I am brand new to the forum and have been reading a good majority of the posts on this topic as i am in the process of diving in to purchase a 2013 honda accord sport sedan, but maybe debating the EX model. I do not intend on adding any extras as i can purchase down the road for cheaper. I prefer a black exterior but read its better to keep the option that im not particular on color? I just started to compile a list of dealers around the bay area (im based in SF). I plan to contact all dealers by phone to get the internet sales mgr information and contact them directly by phone/email asking for breakdown i price: doc fee, TTL, etc. Can someone point me to the msg# of the email template/conversation when wanting to purchase for my bottom line price from the internet sales mgr?

I have seen invoices price different amongst different sites, from edmunds i show $22,929, at this
    time (labor day weekend, sept approaching) what should i aim for sales price? What about for the EX Sedan? I plan on having financing situated with a Credit union and may finance w/honda if the interest is lower and they offer flex cash. Once i am set on price, is there anyway to lock the price down once i get there? I want to make sure i cover all my bases down because i like everyone else do not want to get swindled. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance
    edited August 2013
    I know - but I couldn't pass it up - got a free mop for those pesky occasional messes in the garage from overfills.
  • dagwavedagwave Posts: 2
    i love this site. I have bought a civic, pilot, and accord.
    currently shopping an EX-L or LX or even willing to go Civic.

can't get past "invoice", even when dealing with straight great credit $1500 down. 2 admittedly weathered pilots(2003) and passats (2001) were breezed by at 1800 and 1000 .

surprised on second visit when i mentioned flex $500- manager acknowledged, and then said the funds were "limited'.
    looking at 4cyl.

how can I get below invoice?
    2 dealers: both pretty close...

thanks!

ideal:
    1500 down
    310/mth at 1.9 honda 60 mth finance
    365/ mth at 1.9 honda finance 60 mths

not married to any exterior/ enterior

and lastly- what happens after september 3 for the 2013's?
  • Yes, you are correct. He included an extended warranty..yrs 4 -7. He made a good pitch for it ($1,300 for comprehensive and powertrain), but ultimately I said "no" and paid the $423 for 60 months.
    That sounds better - congrats on your new Honda! Not sure if that was Hondacare they tried to sell you, but if it wasn't and you are interested, there's a warranty thread here with info about a few dealers who have great online pricing. I believe you can get the good pricing up to 6 months/6000 mles, after which the pricing increases.

Enjoy the new car!

Bill G
  • oldroveroldrover Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    Again, thank you very much, especially karhill and brian!
    Yesterday was a busy day for me.
    I started at 5:00am collecting dealer websites within 100 miles.
    Then, contacted each dealer through their website with my offer to buy an Accord EX at $1,500 below invoice.
    Soon thereafter, a flurry of emails and phone calls ensued. Many quotes were awful. One salesperson tried to argue with me that she had never heard of an "invoice" price and was offering me $1,500 off the MSRP. What a great deal!
    I went back and forth with several dealers. Received some good advice about avoiding shady dealer tactics of charging for add-ons when I got to the dealer.
    Pohanka in Fredericksburg had some of the best pricing at $23,287 ($750 below invoice) including destination and processing fee.
    Heritage Parkville was even better at $22,148.
    Both dealers had flex cash left, but Pohanka said flex cash was almost gone.
    Nobody else seemed willing to go any lower than that, even after letting them know about competing offers.
    I called Jim Coleman's in Clarksville (closest dealer) and my friendly salesman said he would beat my best deal and include the dealer addons (floor mats, mud guards, nitro (ha!), wheel locks,etc.) at no charge.
    I drove to dealer and we settled up. I really hated sitting through all of the sales pitches from the customer representative for LoJack, rustproofing, paint protection, dent protection, etc. Many thousands of dollars of options that I politely refused, again and again.
    Financing went fine. Refused the extended warranty, too.
    Buying a car was a stressful enough decision and I wasn't about to buy any add-ons at the dealer.
    Final price was $22,000 before taxes, title, and tags. That price includes $500 military discount and $500 that the owner used from a dealer rewards program as a rebate.
    So, a relatively easy negotiation to my original target of $1,000 below invoice ($1,500 considering they didn't have flex cash left and $2,000 including my military discount). I probably could have done better today or tomorrow, but am happy to get the car I wanted from the guy who spent many hours driving around with me.
    I felt a little better about buying the 2013 over the 2014 when I saw it was manufactured 8/2013. Hopefully got a good one.
    Thanks again for the great advice!

ps. I heard back from a couple of dealers today telling me that there is no way they could have matched that price.
  • surajtsurajt Posts: 7
    I am being offered this car at 27K out of Door. Is this a good price? or can I drag it further down.

Thanks
    Suraj
  • ucmd03ucmd03 Posts: 4
    I thought invoice was about 19,6 on edmunds?

Looking here in Columbus Ohio , the true car route gave a 20,4 quote which I didn't think was bad but people are saying 1 g under invoice? So 18,6 ish?....
  • Where do you see Invoice as being 19,600 on edmunds? I saw on Truecar (don't laugh) that it's around 21,133 or so. Hence my reason for going after 19,600 or 19700 for the lease.
  • jy43235jy43235 Posts: 6
    edited August 2013
    I got a lot of help from this forum, as made myself ready to buy 2013 accord LX with auto transmission. Here is my deal I got 3 days ago:
    Price: 20,200;
    Out door price: 21,914;
    After Minus flex cash: 21414.
    This is the deal from Cincinnati, OH.
    If I am right, I got 1169 down the invoice ( Truecar.com lists the invoice at 21369).
    By the way, the dealer added tax to document fee, which I did not know previously. The dealer gave a full tank of gas and promised a 25 dollars Walmart gift, which I supposed to get it in two or three weeks.
    Thanks!
  • ucmd03ucmd03 Posts: 4
    Akronoh,

Correction

20,6 on usnews
    21,4 on edmunds

So which invoice is correct ?
    Looks like the 790 destination is not factored in. It's always better to factor in destination when discussing price - you can't eliminate it so why not just include it when comparing prices and quotes.

Bill G
  • msuwmsuw Posts: 5
    Brian,
    Thank you so very much for all your help. I was able to negotiate a price of $25,000 plus tax and tag and title fees ($23) minus the flex cash ($500). I am supposed to pick up the car tomorrow. There is no way that I could have done it without you!
    I am thinking of asking to purchase the all weather mats at invoice price. Where can I find the invoice price for the mats?
    Does anyone know if I might get a better price for the mats on amazon?
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,960
    edited August 2013
    Blue

Nice job on your sale. I new you would come very close to your target price. you seperated your self from the guy who cant negotiate. You were in control and the dealer blinked first. You found the right dealership.

I'm closing my lexus deal as we speak and the same nonsense always happens. the dealers closest to you think your lying and try to wait you out. The dealer i want to close with is right by my cousins house. plus has truck.

I think i was pretty clear that i have 2 offers for xxx price match for the sale.

6pm deadline for all. I have a few mins. I post this over and over... Today starts the buying game. unless you get your targeted price to buy.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,960
    edited August 2013
    Msuw

Great job. listen not to brag or bang my chest in this forum with just about one thousand new car purchases under my belt in 40 yrs for myself, family, friends and friends of friends if you take some of these little tips on how and when to buy you will help yourself make the best possible deal. Knowing pricing and how to negotiate will help you get the respect from dealers cutting out alot of there bs. Whether you want to negotiate by email/ phone like Bluecars 57 did or visit dealerships just knowing what your learning in this forum will help you get the best possible deal. I thank- you for the kind words but guess what... You made that great deal not me.

Believe it or not you all help me to by sharing your experiences on here and the new wave of dealer nonsense they are pulling. I buy like i post in here so i dont see your dealerships bs stuff. Im not in the dealerships i avoid them at all costs. Trust me on this If you guys think walking away from the salesman in the dealerships after 1 hour and chased down in the parking lot is ok think again thats bs . Dont let them treat you like this. If i'm in the parking lot and your running after me telling me wait.. I'd rather spend 300 more and give it to a dealership who says this is the best i could do.. this deal stands today tomm or friday . Get the point. If you negotiate stupid you get treated stupid . If i get up 1x from the saleman.... You and your manager blew the deal good bye.................... there is no running after me i'm gone..

Best sites for Honda accessories. Tell your dealership they have to match the price.

Amazon................... on some items
    College hills honda
    Cheap honda parts.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• tadoantadoan Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm going out tomorrow bright and early and start face-to-face negotiations on EXL V6 for drive out of $29,000. Wish me luck everyone! So far, emails have only gone as low as 30,000 drive out. Hoping they are more flexible with me being in the dealership.
  • rusty81rusty81 Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    This is the 2nd month end effort to secure a deal on a Accord LX-CVT sedan. There are over 150 of them amongst 8 area dealers. 10 e-mails sent, 6 -8 followup phone calls made. No one wants to budge off of invoice plus.

I guess there is more money than negotiating skills in this market. No deal has gotten any better from the end of July. Guess we will see what tomorrow brings. Will start contacting all outlying AZ dealers then.

Anyone that has had success in the Phoenix market, let me know. Thx in advance.
  • jacobeeeejacobeeee Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    I am shopping in North New Jersey for a 2013 Honda Accord ex-l 4 cylinder. Yesterday I was given a price of 26500 plus 399 doc fees, 7% sales tax and the current NJ DMV fees and tire fee.

Today I went to another dealer that offered the same car for 25799 plus the same fees as the first. They did not have an ex-l 2013 with ivory leather, but they did have their first 2014 and offered it to me for 26195 (plus the same fees listed above) I am supposed to go back tomorrow to complete the purchase. Is this a good price for a 2014 Accord?

I thought that they were joking with me about the 2014 but I actually went to the car and sat in it and confirmed that it was the white/ ivory Accord that I wanted. Is this a good price?
  • bhkim81bhkim81 Posts: 2
    Alright, so I have been lurking these forums for months and finally decided to put some of the advice you all have posted to use. I emailed out all dealerships within my distance, ended up being 15 or so.

My target was $1800 off invoice plus $500 flex cash. I visited one tonight and after talking, they offered $1800 off invoice but that includes the flex cash ($1300 off/$500 flex). Should I bite?

Invoice: $22,139
    +Dest. Fee: $790
    - Discount: $1300
    - Flex Cash: $500
    =Final Price: $21,129 + TTL

Most of the other dealerships said they will "treat me right" if I come in and work with me. But all dealerships roughly quoted the same price and said they wouldn't quote lower unless I came in.

Do you think it's possible to reach my goal of $1800 off PLUS $500 Flex Cash?
  • rickmetrickmet Posts: 2
    Anyone have numbers for a 2013 Accord Sedan EX CVT in CT. After reading through many posts it looks like my target should be $1500 under invoice plus $500 in flex dollars. I have sent out emails to dealers tonight anxious to see responses.
  • sorry this is so late - Bernardi was up to 25399 + 790 for destination. Prime and Honda Cars of Boston are much better. Bernardi's original price of 24129 + destination was the best starting point when I started looking, but they raised it 1250 and it hasn't come down. Just checked again today (8/30). they must have reached their quota for the month.
  • Same with NE Ohio it seems. I got ONE dealer in the cleveland/akron area to budge from their original sale price and that was only 800 under invoice. Perhaps they won't feel the pressure to move on those prices until later this weekend since it looks like their "month" ends September 3? Any ideas? Uninformed buyers make it hard for the rest of us.