Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Evaporative Emissions Box? 2008 Saturn Vue.

homedog7homedog7 Member Posts: 7
edited September 2014 in Saturn
I hit a large chunk of a semi tire on the Interstate and it ripped off a small box from underneath my 2008 Saturn Vue. No other damage was pointed out by the mechanic that re-mounted the box to the car. The impact broke off one of the corners where the bolt goes through and there is a hole in the box where it dragged along the pavement. The mechanic rebolted it back on using 3 bolts and used a plastic tie to hold it in place in the 4th. No engine check lots were on at the time and the car ran (and is running) just fine. In fact, the check engine light only came on after I ran it through the car wash and it got wet underneath. So here is my question: What is this part called? I want to replace it and it looked fairly easy to do. 4 bolts and a couple connections. The mechanic called it an emissions box or canister. He also called it "evaporative emissions". I cannot find anything called any of these things. I wish I had taken a picture when it was on the rack. It looked like a radio amplifier. Any help in identifying the name of this part is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Sounds like vapor canister I believe.
  • homedog7homedog7 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks. I think it is too. I have been searching pics of Saturn undercarriages since my original post.
    Any idea what this does? The car is running great except for the check engine light.
    Thanks for the replies. Now that I know what to look for I will do a search. It looks easy to replace. Will the check engine light reset provided nothing else was damaged?
    I think theres a reasonable chance it will, it might be one of those things where the vehicle runs a test (like every time vehicle is restarted), or may be mileage thing, either way it could take a while for light to go out..
    I ordered a new one today and it should be here for a Saturday morning project next weekend. I hope the check engine light turns off. I will get it diagnosed if it doesn't. I may have ruined one of the sensors although they all look OK from the outside.
    Well, I installed the new canister. The hardest part was getting the quick clips off , but once they finally released it was a breeze. The check engine light did go off after just a few miles! Thanks for the advice I received here.
    congrats, sounds like the fix wasn't all that tough
    Yes, it was very easy. I am lucky I did not tear up more when I hit that chunk of semi tire. The mechanic that reattached the old canister to get me on my way inspected everything like brakes and fuel lines, control arms, fuel tank, etc and said everything as ok.