Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Removing stickers, labels, decals, glue, sap...

Comments

• rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    I can't say for Chryslers, as I've never ridden in a late model one, but my 95 T-Bird has those visor warnings silk-screened onto the visor. My guess is that if you order new visors, Chrysler will pull them off the same assembly line the visors headed for final assembly on the car come from, and will have the warning. If you can't remove them, the best thing to do would be to get the visors recovered at an upholstry shop.

Now, does anyone know how to remove duck tape residue from a car? The best thing i've found is alcohol, and that's not perfect.
  • chandra7chandra7 Posts: 4
    Just wanted to let you all know that the best thing i've ever used to remove any type of adhesive residue is good ol' WD40 - spray it on, let it soak in for a few minutes and the adhesive slips right off. Have also used Goo Gone and Goof Off with excellent results, but those aren't always laying around. I think everyone probably has a can of WD40.

Chandra
  • keynook2keynook2 Posts: 2
    Although very flammable and damaging to some plastics. I have yet to find anything better at removing glue (including acetone, rubbing alcohol and Goo-Gone) than gasoline. Just pour about 1 tsb. of gasoline onto a paper towel and rub lightly on to the decal or glue while making sure it isn't damaging the paint or plastic (usually won't if you make sure it gets on only what you're trying too get off). Rinse area off with water when done.
  • jwkessler1jwkessler1 Posts: 99
    Rather then using a lot of hard to find or dangerous solvents, I have found cooking oil works to safely remove label goo.

If something stronger is needed, try kerosene. Small bottles of scented lamp fuel are readily available in many places. I have also successfully used charcoal lighter fluid in some cases.

Gasoline seems way to dangerous, though for years my dad used it to wash off engines and other car parts, and to clean paint brushes. He never blew up, but I think he was just lucky.

Nail polish remover is alcohol and acetone. I would be very cautious using it with plastics.
  • hb396hb396 Posts: 15
    labels, stickers, etc. is to use a hand held hair dryer and heat the item to be removed.
  • hi-yesturday i decided to take the sticker that the dealer had put on my car although i had told 'em i didn't want one off. everything went fine until the last little part which left some sticker glue on the car.....from what i can gather here...can that 3M stuff remove that safely??? thanks for any help in this matter.
  • joe166joe166 Posts: 401
    Of course that 3M stuff will remove glue residue most of the time. That is what it is for. However, far be it from me to ever use the right stuff for the job. What is the challenge there? Sometimes just alcohol works fine. Sometimes you have to go a little further and try WD-40. That works on most things. Acetone works but will sometimes fog plastic and will definitely remove all waxes and some paint if it is not cured (old). Goo gone works great and it is citrus based so it does little harm. There are lots of things that will remove the residue as you have seen from this forum, but sometimes it is just a matter of rolling the residue on your finger and picking it off. This is not brain surgery, but do as little as possible in order to avoid side effects like taking off something you like.
  • ceilidhceilidh Posts: 1
    I'm still am searching for a posting with a solution to removing those horrid warning labels from my visors. My car is a 98 GS 300 with the same type of material on the visors as on the headliner (I call it mouse fur!). WD40 works great on painted surfaces but can you ever get it out of the "mouse fur" if it works at all? Any hints, successes. Somebody must have gotten those dang things off! Thanks
  • pilkopilko Posts: 22
    I tried to remove the thick residue from a nasty window sticker with Isopropyl alcohol, Paint thinners and glass cleaners. I eventually got the mess of using Go Jo hand cleaner. The rough particles in the product seemed to help. I suppose it may be possible to use it on fabric as it will wash off with water once the goo has gone.
  • tpmillertpmiller Posts: 45
    Guy removed a large sticker on visor of a new Dodge QC only to find a smaller sticker underneath!
  • ktekte Posts: 1
    These tips will come in very handy - great discussion topic.

Thanks!
  • sebargesebarge Posts: 50
    Hi,
    Don't know if this is the correct place to post, but it does deal with sticky stuff. We have a '92 red Nissan Kingcab w/ 103,000 miles on it. I had kept up with this truck religiously since day 1, so that the paint still looked like new; people were surprised to learn it was a '92.
    Well, we have 2 newer cars now that get the priviledge of the garage, and our poor truck has sat outside for a year now underneath pine trees. (There is no other place to park it.) It looks so bad! There are white spots all over the red paint from the pine sap dripping down on it. I thought clay was a miracle bar, but it doesn't do the trick w/ this sap. It just kinda smears it, although I get a wonderful Christmas pine scent going on.
    Any tips on how to remove pine sap? I should've gotten a cover, but have never had pine trees so close to the house before this one. Now, a cover seems like a waste as the paint is already bad looking.
    Thanks in advance!
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    I haven't let any sit for a year, but put some peanut butter or peanut oil on the globs 'o' goo and give them time to soften. this has worked in the deep north woods well.

I have had very good luck with mineral spirits in removing stuff like double-stick tape, bummer stickers, and ink ruboff onto the ABS interior of my vehicles.

if/when you get the crud off, a nice two layer wax job is always a nice thing to do to protect the paint until a dozen carwashes go by...
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    If you use gasoline as a solvent, smoking is discouraged, and I might suggest a little ventalation. I know it sounds like common sense, but if it weren't for idiots, ceilidh wouldn't have the problem with warning labels he's got.

(Are those labels silk screened on? The warnings on my Ford's visors are. If so, it will be like the design on the front of a T-Shirt. Looks like a sticker, but kinda rubbery, and wont peel off. Can go through washer/Dryer. Silk screening actually deposits a layer of dye on top of the materiel, rather than through it, although it is VERY permanent. As I said earlier, I feel the only way to get rid of visor warning labels is to have the visors re-upholstered.)
  • I use W.D. 40 on most stickers,,,it is safe for paint,,just spray it and let it soak the paper,,and pick at it with your fingernail,,it will dissolve the glue..
  • kalwoodkalwood Posts: 17
    I'm considering taking off the 4x4 decal from my new Silverado. How long before there will be a difference in the paint from where the decal was and was not? I've had the truck for about 7 weeks but really have no idea how long it sat on the dealer's lot.
  • There should be no noticeable difference if you remove it now, if you get all the glue off. A hair dryer should solve this. You might have to clean the whole vehicle, because that spot will be ultra clean. But, it would be a year, two, or more before any fading of the paint would be noticeable.
  • Naptha (lighter fluid) on any material.
  • rooba10rooba10 Posts: 38
    Someone suggested using Mother's back to black. I tried it long time ago on our old Mazda MPV. It works well for a while, then once you go to carwash, the gray look comes back.

The best method to wax a car is to use 1 to 2.0" wide masking tape and cover the black area, and do not use too much wax in the area close to black trim.
  • Here's a thought. . .the dealer places his logo on your car for advertisement. Since you likely purchase the vehicle - would they be willing to rent the area on the car you own as advertising space? We passed that thought onto our local dealership and the logo was professionally removed by their staff before delivery into our hands.