Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Removing stickers, labels, decals, glue, sap...

Comments

• I have a plastic decal with an adhesive foam tape by ProMark on the back of it. It has my beloved Ohio State logo. I keep reading that taking these things off will be ok, but, is it realy ok to put one on yourself, and are there any tips, so, when it :confuse: wears off or I want to remove it, I will not damage the paint. Thanks.
  • The 3M paint safe adhesive tape, is it really safe for my car? :confuse:
    I have seen anything mentioned about this in the forum.

Thanks.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Looks like this is almost dead. Does that mean everyone has gotten the stuff off their cars? we can only be so lucky i think.
  • NOOOO!! I'm dying to find out how to get the half that didn't come off OFF for good. I called my Jeep dealer today to see if they carried those stickers. They said they are part of the whole visor which would run me $150! I have 11 months before my lease is up and I need to fix this. I don't think they will notice if that sticker is gone when I turn the car in but they will notice half a sticker. Help.
    Where is the sticker? whats it of. Always a way to get it totally off.
  • I recently bought an '02 Civic from a young lady. I rec'd an excellent deal on the car, but the one thing I'm puzzled over is how to remove the Jesus fish on the back. Although I attend services, etc. I realized that I probably wasn't setting a good example w/ my driving habits.

Is there any way to get this off without leaving a lot of residue?
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    heat it up with a hair dryer, then stretch out a piece of fishing line (one end of the line in each of your hands, and pulled tight), then slide underneath the plaque. The residue can be removed with a rag that has a little WD40 sprayed on it. If the residue becomes hard to remove, reheat it, the residue then becomes easier to wipe off with the rag. When done, wax over the area.
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    lots of alternatives like the "ixnay" or the "cat" at http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/emblems.html... or if you mess up the Jesus-fish removal, you can hide it with another one ;)

not all are polite, so use that criteria in deciding whether to view. none are really awful.
  • moto2moto2 Posts: 1
    Not sure how to remove them, but if anyone needs to know how to apply them, there is an article at http://www.modernimage.net/html/articles/car_graphics_application.html
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,009
    Join the Eagle One team in a live chat to find out how nanotechnology is changing the future in car appearance products. Learn how to easily improve and protect the exterior and interior of your car or truck with this new and exciting technology. Discover why Eagle One nanotechnology can outperform the competition in performance, ease-of-use and superior results. Get all the answers, tips and secrets to improving your vehicle's appearance in a live chat on February 1, 2006, 9-10 p.m. EST. Don't miss out on the opportunity to talk LIVE with the Eagle One experts!

LINK TO JOIN THE CHAT:

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/eagle11106.html

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• 89er89er Posts: 1
    ">My car has racing stripes on the side and I want to remove them to put on my own logo. Anyone know how to get them off. Their pretty old. :blush:
    Before we can help ya get them off, how are they put on? Paint over clear? Paint under clear? Decal? Tape??? Many ways to get it off depending on the way its put on.
  • martelmartel Posts: 3
    ok, this was asked a few times in this thread and I don't think it was answered. i am looking to purchase a 2003 black toyota tacoma.the truck is beautiful, paint seems to bee in nice condition- BUT it has really ugly decals on both sides.

I have seen how to remove them, but at this point what I want to know is what will the paint job look like removing decals from an older vehicle? Worse than the decal would be a darker black in the shape of said ugly decal.

anyone have ideas, experience with this?
  • I have a 1992 BMW 525i and I wanted to debadge it. I wanted to take off the "525i" from the back of the car, but before I do so, I wanted to make sure I do it right without ruining the paint.

Can anyone give me some good advice on how to do this properly? I dont know how the BMW numbers are glued/pinned to the car, so I dont even know where to start.
  • dahuberdahuber Posts: 53
    Something to consider before you do this is the age of your car. If you have the factory paint, it will be a lot lighter than what's behind the decal. I like to debadge too, but I've never tried it on a car older than a couple years.

Having said that, if the badge is raised, try the fishing line technique listed in the posts above. Run into resistance and you've got a pin to remove and a hole to fill. Good Luck!
    Removing any decal or stripe or anything from a vehical over about a month old the paint colors will be differant.
  • Is there any possible way to remove blood from automotive paint? It is varmint paint in case you are wondering.
  • Try rubbing alcohol. It is safe on paint and will remove many things...just make sure you use 70% isopropyl alcohol and not the stronger 90-91%.
    Using a light compound...such as a "final cut" type (more of a fine compound then a heavy one) will usually take this off. Just make sure to wax part again to keep the paint protected and looking good.
  • paseopaseo Posts: 1
    i recently bought a 92 toyota paseo 2 dr coupe off a mate. It has a decal down the sides that take up most of the car.
    The decals are stickers and they have been on for about two and a half years. The car is red. (the paint on the car is relatively good condition. after a cut and polish it looks great)what is the best way to successfully remove the decal. is it possible to take it off without leaving a mark.
    thanks heaps
    ben
    If it is just a big sticker as you imply one of the best ways would probably be to use a heat lamp if you have access to it, otherwise a hair dryer works too. Heat up a small area at a time and slowly start to peel the sticker off.
  • Does any one know if the Dodge and Cummings emblems on a 2006 truck are pinned on or are attached with adhesive. I would hate to try to take them off and ruin my paint job. Would the floss method leave any marks it they are pinned.
    If they are pinned it would probably leave two holes in your fender.
  • I figured out how to get the Nissan Emblems and the SER Emblems off. But i cand figure out how to get the sticker that says specv off they are on the bottom of the car on each side towars the front can anyone help.
    Go to an auto parts store and look for what the call and eraser wheel. Its just a round eraser that will attach to a drill to rub off the sticker. You will probably need to buff the area a lil to make it look good again.
  • swcooperswcooper Posts: 2
    I have just bought a truck from the company I work for (2005 Dodge Ram 1500). It is white and on either front door there were stickers which I got off with few problems and removed all the adhesive as well. But, now where those stickers were on the doors you can still see the design in the paint. These stickers were only on there for just over a year, but more people buying there trucks have had the stickers on there much longer. Would a light rubbing compound take this out or will it be a more involved process? Thanks for any help at all anyone can give me!
    I would try some finish cut compound and see if that takes it off. Anything more coarse then that i would have a professional handle if you are not familiar with it. If your not careful with a heavy compound you can burn right thru the clear coat and paint (learned that the hard way in the body shop a few years ago!)
  • swcooperswcooper Posts: 2
    Funny you replied with that message yesterday since I actually took my truck to a professional detailing shop and had it compounded and it didn't do squat. Even the guy there was really surprised that it did not take the images out. The next step is to have the doors wet sanded I guess and then buffed, but if that doesn't work I might just have to have them sanded a little more and re-shot. I'm not sure how long I will keep the truck but when I trade it in I'm sure no one wants our company logo in both front doors!lol. Thanks for the help though!
  • dhellerdheller Posts: 28
    Okay, I know it sounds really strange, but you know when you get that white residue on black plastic pieces from car wax, hard to get off, right ? Not so - try some peanut butter, yup, it really works.

I have wax all over on mine, and I had heard about this. It looked so bad, so I thought I would try it. It really does work. Take a small amount of peanut butter on your finger tip, and rub in a swirling motion into the plastic, cover it well, let it set for a bit, and wipe off with a clean rag. If you have a big dog, point him to it.

Seriously, this really works, and the black plastic looks like new. I hope it holds up, as it made a great deal of difference.