Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• ericevansericevans Posts: 33
    I got my marker lights installed and they look pretty sweet. Though it was a little scary using the holesaw on the roof.
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Posts: 89
    Can you give some explicit details of the install?

Part #'s?
    How much did they cost you? From whom?
    From where did you get power?
    How/where are they switched?

Tell me more about this drilling/sawing!!! I'm thinking that even if I could get the parts for free, the drilling and/or sawing might prevent me from ever installing.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm very interested in pursuing this, but just don't know if I've got the rocks.
    The part numbers are 15163401, 15163402 and 15163404.

The first two are the left and right lenses. The third is the wiring harness and you'd need two of them. The total price was $158.94 through GMPartsDirect.com. It costs twice as much through the dealer.

The '02 TB has a screw hole in the front mount of each rack rail that is not used. I used this for the placement of the roof holes. You'll want to remove the rails, of course, and you'll see the three screw holes with the center one not used. Using a 1" holesaw, you center on where that screw would go. I used WD-40 as a cutting oil to keep the heat down and lube the saw.

When you have the holes drilled, you might want to then run the wire. I decided to run a wire on either side from the brake lights. I used wire tap clips so I wouldn't have to cut wire and void anything. Pull the panels back on either side to expose the wiring harness going to the brake lights. Hook your neg to the ground that is screwed into the body. On the right side you'll need to tap into the brown/white wire and then brown wire on the left for the positives. Run the wires up to the ceiling and down to your holes. To get the grab handles detached, open the coveres and you'll find a little plastic clip inside. Pushing it to the side will release the handle.

This all would be a lot easier to describe with pictures.

Bring your wires up through the holes and splice into your wiring harness. I soldered the ends together and wrapped them in shrink tubing. Push the rubber gasket on the harness into the hole. Widen the holes in your roof rack gasket and the rack mount so you can get the bulb through. You should now be all wired up.

Now, the aluminum tracks in the rack are a little bit too long in the '02 and '03 TB for the lenses to fit. You'll need to cut 1.25" off the forward end. Don't cut the wrong end! File the edge down so it won't cut the wire from vibration. Re-attach your rack and slide on the cross pieces. Stick the bulbs into the lenses, lock into place and snap the lenses down.

It's as easy as that!
    I forgot to mention that the lights will only come on with your parking and headlights. They will not run during the day, blink with your blinkers or turn on with the brakes.

The drilling kinda freaked me out at first but it was no big deal.
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Posts: 89
    Awesome. Excellent information! Thanks for the details. I must say that I'm really freaked out over the drilling. You wouldn't want to drive to KC to install this for me, huh? Nah, didn't think so.

I'll let you know when I screw up enough courage to jump into this project. Thanks again.
    Why not? You're only a state away. J/k....Why don't you just drive to me?

The drilling wasn't that big of a deal. Produced a horrible noise though. If you are afraid of leaks, you can get some RTV sealant to put around the rubber thingy before you push it into the roof hole.

Here is a picture of the various parts. I wish it were bigger but Yahoo has resrtictions.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ericmevans/detail?.dir=/Eric%27s- +Pictures&.dnm=705b.jpg
    Well I've got a picture of this plus now.

I have the depression outlined with the green rectangle.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ericmevans/detail?.dir=/Eric%27s- +Pictures&.dnm=d9af.jpg
  • dpacasladpacasla Posts: 8
    I have a 2002 TrailBlazer LS. I am looking to install an overhead console (has travelnote and homelink, no sunroof switch) that I got from a 2002 LT. I also have the harness that interconnects these components together within the console, as well as the retainer unit that attaches the console to the roof.

I am concerned as to whether there is a factory harness connector above the liner that I can plug into for the console. Has anyone taken off their liner in their LS? If so, was there a console harness connection up there somewhere? I hate to go through the whole liner removal only to be disappointed. Any input would be SO appreciated!
  • mookie14mookie14 Posts: 252
    Hi everyone i got a question has anyone with a 03 trailblazer i put a fipk kit on. Did anyone have any problems?? i do know that alot of trailblazer owners have put one on. I got the one with model number 57-3036 what i am wondering really about the filter says for off road & racing only so i am curious. Can anyone let me know plus what does that mean?? or should i be worried about it let me know thanks. mook
  • The wire is for the 12v acc. in your trailer plug at the rear of the vehicle. If you are not going to be pulling a camper that would utilize this, then leave it be.
  • hey -
    I have an '03 LTZ.i am considering installing the marker lights. tried to view your pics of the job but couldn't pull them up. are they still online? could you send them to aol?(Jams214@aol)thanks!
  • catchcatch Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2004 Trailblazer LS. I used the internet to shop and believe I got it for a great price. I love the ride, and the room inside. Any advice for a new owner would be appreciated. Thanks, Catch
  • catchcatch Posts: 3
    I looked at my 2004 LS and it has the same wires and a small plastic box plugged into the wires. I have no idea what it is. Could it be a "black box"s we have heard about? A friend found one in his Jeep under the back seat also. His dealer said it "wasn't there". Does your Blazer run OK without it? Catch
  • blaze4blaze4 Posts: 1
    Were you able to install the lighted step pads? How did it turn out?
  • gragg1gragg1 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to set the clock? I just bought a 2004, the owner's manual says "your clock "may" have a button with H & M on it for hours and minutes". Mine doesn't have any buttons with an H or M on it. The manual doesn't say anything more about setting the clock. Can anyone help me out?

Thx,
    Gragg
  • john1439john1439 Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2005 Trailblazer with the base model Heat-A/C control panel. This is the one with the two toggle levers that slide up and down. I can never find a good balance with this system and I want to replace it with the stock digital unit if possible. The base model toggle unit has a 8 prong flat male receiver that powers the blower motor and the digital has a 12 prong round male receiver that does the same. Is there Is the any wiring harness adapter that runs from the wiring harness (black) 8 prong female converting it to a (grey) 12 prong female? Or am I not seeing a factory grey 12 prong female that is hidden somewhere?
  • k91reddogk91reddog Posts: 1
    I had the same issue, I went to a local stereo shop and had subs installed in addition to my factory unit and speakers. It sounds great!! All they used was a line out inverter that cost $20.00

As far as changing out the head unit, It is possible, they sell an adapter to keep onstar and another adapter to keep steering wheel controls. They told me that there are no relocation wires needed for that truck.

My friend is looking at getting a Cobalt and we discovered that they do make a relocation harness for that but it is just to program your different settings.

I think that if you have the Bose system on a TB you have to keep the factory unit in the mix.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    Look under the volume button. Sort of hard to see.
  • gruvergruver Posts: 1
    I am interested in installing a modified chip in the computer of my 2002 Trailblazer. I understand that there is potential for both power increase and fuel mileage increase with modified chips. I like the performance of this vehicle but it would be nice to have better fuel mileage.

Thanks.
  • shoopmomshoopmom Posts: 1
    I just bought an 04 Trailblazer and the radio doens't work. It turns on okay but all I can get is static and it won't seek any stations that I know are there. Also if you put a cd in, it ejects it and says check cd. HELP!!! :cry: What should we look at and how can we fix it? Any suggestions would be great... Thanks!
  • wkingwking Posts: 1
    My 2002 Trailblazer ext shows "OC" in the temperature part of the display on the inside mirror. What does "OC" mean?
  • roberts4roberts4 Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 Trailblazer. As you all know, the GM triplets come with the in-the-seat front seat belts. I find this setup very uncomfortable, with the seat belt pulling on my shoulder and collarbone. Does any one know if there are parts one can easily install, maybe on the headrest, to raise the belt and ease it's tension on my shoulder? Or maybe a taller plastic retainer part from which the belt emerges? I don't know if GM makes such a part. I asked at the dealer and they said they can not legally make any modifications to the belt. I think there might be a couple of ways to remedy the situation. So if any one knows how to fix this annoyance, would be glad to hear it!

Otherwise, love the vehicle, the Bose sound is awesome and seats are very comfortable. Good power and room.
    Also, does any one know how to disable the seat belt reminder chime from coming on when not wearing the belts? I could not find it in the manual.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Yes, I agree that the seat belt integrated into the seat back is annoying, especially for taller people. There isn't much you can do about it. I have a couple of those velour pads you wrap around it and secure with hook/loop fasteners. That at least minimizes it. I always thought it was designed that way due to the side airbags being available.
  • mdbulletmdbullet Posts: 1
    hi,,,, there is no way of turning them off,,, and i refuse to ware them, i have a 2005 trailblazer and i went to chevy and got a set of 9" seat belt extenders and just put them on the front seatbelt slots and they just hang by the console,,, hope this helps,,,
    hi, the 9" extenders, do they have a part number or name or are they just called extenders? What do they do exactly? Thanks a lot...
    Still hating the seatbelts, what a bad design...the dealership refuses to even touch the issue...
  • gmoudygmoudy Posts: 67
    I was at my Chevy dealer today to have some work done on my other car. I asked my service advisor about the 9" seatbelt extenders. He stated that Chevy will supply two of them at no charge. I had him order them for me. The part # is 12533459. If the 9" isn't long enough ecause someone might have a bigger gurth, they do have a 15" extender. Hope this helps everyone out. I do not know what the part # is for the 15".
  • fetchthisfetchthis Posts: 2
    The black boxes under your backseat house the battery for your onstar and several different types of fuses. No, do not take it out and it is not the mysterious "black box" of which you have heard. Doesn't anyone read their manuals anymore?
  • ima1032ima1032 Posts: 1
    I recently bought an 05 TB LS that did not have HomeLink. Am I able to purchase this and either install it or have it installed? How difficult is it to put this in?
  • Has anyone removed third seat on the EXT to make the back more 'storage oriented' rather than 'sitting oriented'? The questions would be: 1) Can you remove the third seat easily and does that improve the back storage area? 2) What other 'modifications' can you make to make the TB EXT more 'storage friendly'? Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.