Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

'99 Silverado/Sierra vs. F-150

Comments

• Options
    zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    Doesn't matter, nobody is interested in what your "opinion" is.

I am over this, jerk boy.
  • Options
    jjedjjed Member Posts: 2
    I understand that most of you "truck" people think that a V6 truck is for sissys, but I don't need to pull anything, just load some lighter stuff in the back. I've never owned a pickup of any kind, and wouldn't be getting one if I didn't need it for work. I tested a 150, Silverado, and Dakota (Ram's too big - and no V6). My first impression was that the Ford was the best. I didn't notice one bit of extra power or "technology" in the Chevy, and the interior is an absolute joke. They may make a better back seat, but ... The Ford felt friendlier and more nimble on the road. The Dodge was pretty nice, but from what I can tell about the gas mileage and the lack of 4 doors, and less room than the 150, the price of the Ford looked a lot better. What I'd like to know is if all the comparisons that have been made bet. the big three apply at all to their V6 engines. And if I'm concerned mostly about gas mileage and not hauling power, what axle ratio do I want? Thanks.
  • Options
    The 4.3l V6 is not a "sissy" engine by any means. I have driven the Ford 4.2l and even in a reg cab 4X2, the truck was a gutless pig. Ford's 4.6l V8 was almost as gutless. The 5.4l was barely adequate. The buck stops there. No bigger gas engine avail from Ford.

The Dodge V6 is ok in the Dakota, but is almost as big a gas hog as their thirstier V8's. Reliability seems to be ok also. Do you want a thirsty V6?

The Chevy 4.3l has been a reliability proven torque monster (in its class) compared to competition. Even the Ford guy's will admit that GM's V6 line (cars and trucks) is far more adavanced and proven.

Want to hear about all the guy's whining about how gutless their 4.2l V6 is? Go to www.f150online.com. Every single one of them is begging for aftermarket mods just to make the truck quasi-adequate.

Nope, for torque, horsepower, and fuel economy, the Chevy 4.3l is a proven winner, not only in my book, but many testers as well.

As for the "cheap interior", well, one could easily say the same about Ford and Dodge. Having been a ford owner for 15 years, Ford has definately slacked in the interior dept as well. The swoopy, swopy, dopy looking, cramped up cabin and not to mention those dreadful seats. Terribly uncomfortable.

Just my opinion. Please don't start shooting like our favorite friend Rocles. It is just MY opinion and not meant to be taken as doctrine.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    I really don't CARE...

who's dad can whip who's!

If you don't knock off the personal attacks I can and will shut this down. I remind you that your participants agreement requires civil discourse. Name calling does NOT qualify!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • Options
    jmscoloradojmscolorado Member Posts: 25
    JJED,

A few years ago I bought a 6 cyclinder F-150. Kept it for 6 years and regretted not getting a V8 almost every minute of those 6 years. The truck was OK but had no real power on the highway and didn't get the gas mileage I bought it for. I learned the hard way to get a V8. You never know what you will be doing 1 year or 3 years from now and whether or not you will need the power. There isn't really much difference in gas mileage and, its just my opinion, but I think the V8 will not have to work as hard as the 6 cylinder and therefore would last longer. Again, just my opinion. Pay the extra money for the V8. You'll get it back in resale/trade-in. (I also learned that the hard way - when I sold that 6 cylinder truck - most people want a V8 in a truck.)

JMSColorado
  • Options
    RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Chevy 4.3L V-6: 200hp@4600rpm, 260ftlb@2800 torque
    Ford 4.2L V-6: 205@4750rpm, 250ftlb@3000 torque
    Dodge 3.9L V-6: 175hp@4800rpm, 230ftlb@3200 torque

Chevy does have the edge but not exactly a dominator in its class. Identical to the Ford in HP and a slight edge in torque. Essentially, if choosing trucks with six cylinder engines, this is one area which shouldn't be a deciding factor.
  • Options
    jjedjjed Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I understand what you're saying about six cylinders, and all have had good points.

Except for Zbad. Sorry Z, but when I look around at all the used car lots, all I see are GMC and Chevy and Dodge trucks. I can't hardly find a Ford. Now I bet you're going to tell me it's because they've traded in their "old" technology for the "new" sophisticated stuff. I'm not going to buy it. The only way I'd sit in that cheap Chevy material is if they were 25% cheaper in cost.

I think my best bet is to go with a compact truck now. The only problem I see is that when you get an extended cab and some nice options you're right back up to 20k and I could get an F150 for close to that with a lot more room.

Can anyone direct me to the best compact truck discussions?
  • Options
    bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    I guess no one saw the article in Truck Trend. Where they compared all four of the newest full-size trucks, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota. They tested extended cab, loaded models. All with automatic transmissions. Engines were as follows. Ford with 5.4. Dodge with 5.9. Chevy with 5.3 and the Toyota with their little 32 V screamer. All trucks except the Toyota had 3.73. The Toyota had something like 3.90's. These trucks were about as evenly matched as they could get.
    First they were tested empty. The Toyota was the fastest, to 60 mph, and in the 1/4. The Ford was second by .01 second, in both. Chevy was third. Dodge of course was fourth.

Then they loaded the trucks with 1000 lbs.
    Ford came in first, by quite a bit. The Tundra was second, Chevy third, and then Dodge.

On the slalom the Ford killed everything else. It also had the better ride, especially over bumps.

Yeah, Yeah, I know magazines can be biased, but here's where it gets interesting. Overall, the Ford came in third behind, first the Toyota, and Chevy second. The final ratings encompassed only subjective variables, e.g. styling, fit and finish, etc. Performance was not factored in.

I guess I am biased, but it just seems strange that a truck that does everything, or at least everything you buy a truck for, better than all the others, comes in third.
  • Options
    hardware1hardware1 Member Posts: 5
    I had a '98 Chevy ext cab with a 6 cylinder. I, too, don't pull anything and assumed it would be adaquette. But, after 14 months of nothing but heartache, I lemon lawed it. It had many different problems, and the engine was probably the least. But, it was only adaquette. Nothing more.
    As for brands, I just did all the comparisons. I bought a '99 GMC Sierra. I liked the Ford until I saw all the standard features the GMC gave. I don't want to start the Ford vs. GM, but I found dollar for dollar, the GMC represented a better value. Ford comes standard with a 6 cylinder and 5 speed, the GMC extended cab came with the 4.8 V* and automatic. Additionally, CD player, ect.
    Good luck, and shop around. The less of a hurry you're in, the happy you'll be later.
  • Options
    Well, its your mistake to make. What I meant to get across more than anything is that the Chevy 4.3l is "proven". Been around a long time, and few problems. Proven longevity. The fact that it has the higher torque factor is just icing on the cake.

The Ford 4.2l is new and very unproven. It is widely known to be a dog, very underpowered. Those marketing statistics that were thrown out mean absolutely nothing to me but to be random numbers. The real life experiences are what count in my book and you can go to the Ford web site with the highest members and traffic of any other Ford site, www.f150online.com, and see just how proud the Ford owners are of the 4.2l. Its a joke, much like the 4.6l V8 is. All you read about is complaints, mainly of how underpowered it is. They all bought the 4.2l to save gas, tow and payload needs were light, etc. etc. Well, you will read that the 4.2l doesn't get great gas mileage either. Chevy gets better mileage out of all their engines than the other two manufacturers

I can't explain why you claim to see an abundance of Chevy and Dodge V6 trucks in used car lots. I equate that to the biggest line Ford owners use "Ford sells more trucks....blah, blah, blah." I still see more Chevies on the road, old and new, and in BETTER CONDITION than Ford trucks. Where do all the Fords end up if they sell so many more than Chevy?????? Why do when I see an older Ford truck, it is a rusty pile of crap with parts hanging off of it from every angle?

My advice to you is go buy whatever you want. I don't care if you buy a Ford or not. I am not going to try and say that a Chevy is better for you because what you buy is a personal preference. What is good for me is not necessarily what is best for everyone. I just try and save people some trouble by sharing the experiences I have had from my ownership of "many" trucks over the last 15 years.

What I don't understand and frankly, I get a little irritated with, is that you asked for advice and opinions, then you come back and dog the responses you got. Sounds like you already knew what you wanted, so WHY DID YOU "WASTE" OUR TIME??????
  • Options
    lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    You finally sort of cooled it with Rocles so now you want to start another brawl? GEEEEZ! You are always sooooo quick to point every Ford fault and every post that mentions a Ford problem. Dude, I counted at least 10 topics on this very site which had 99 and up G.M. products with everything from needing new engines to squeaks and rattles and suspensions that needed replacing. Not to mention some hub that everyone is praying they don't have. Also there are many G.M. dealers who say they are waiting for fixes from the almighty General. One guy finally got his truck bought back from G.M. So please finally get off your soap box on how superior your brand of truck is. I said it a million posts ago, everyone has had good luck and bad luck with the various brands. Just because you had one bad 98 Ford truck doesn't mean everything they make is junk. And just because G.M. makes it doesn't automatically make it better. The world will be waiting for your heated response. See Ya.
  • Options
    Well, I have owned over 70 trucks during the past 15 years and I'll give you a reason for buying Ford: least amount of repair bills. However, I won't bash Chevy because I have owned some decent GM products that have proved their mettle. I just got rid of a trio of 95s though, that were the worst trucks ever conceived of by man.
    Real-life expierences? Well, Z-BAD doesn't want to hear me but I have a few. Those numbers thrown out there are tested numbers-not claimed by the company.
    Second-off: If considering a six from Ford- don't buy the hype that it is a "dog". Widely known? From whom?????? In my humble opinion, all sixes are always overworked in a full-size truck. To offset the cost, you have to ask yourself a very important question: Are you going to use it? One of my foremen has an XL with the six and he hauls his trailer of bikes everywhere and gets around 15mpg. When he has a load-it sucks gas, but, I don't think the Chevy will be some paragon of power when compared. How foolish. All sixes suck gas when under load. The real question is will it really matter if not used often?
    The 4.3L in the Chevy is a car engine. No difference compared to the 4.2L of Ford. Period.
    Not proven? The truck is. Engine? So what? The straight six from the eighties was a great motor with great torque(any "owner" of "15" years of trucks knows this) and yet it's major con when it came out was that it wasn't "proven". Huh? I'll grant that GM has a great track record of engines. You will never hear me bust on the small-block 350. Never. Great engine. Alas, Ford can make a motor as well.......
    Chevy is a fine truck--just don't limit your options by blindly following the muscle-car crowd that is only concerned with engines. When considering trucks-there is more involved.

ROC
  • Options
    Even though I'm leaning toward the super duty with the v-10 and a 5speed(sort of the opposite end of the spectrum as you) I have looked very hard at the G.M. products. The G.M.C. mostly. I think the Chevy looks too much like the old one. (don't start yelling zbad as you always state, " it's just my opinion") Even though there is no question the extended cab is much roomier in the back seat area there is no fourth door and no crew cab with the 6.0, and even though no one responded before to my gripe it really bothers me that on a freshly designed truck the heater core and fan assembly still hangs under the dash where it is both ugly and in the way.Just waiting to drive new v-10(310 horsepower 430 pounds of torque) with 5 speed. If this truck doesn't close the gap on the 6.0 then I may lean back toward G.M. if I can stand the interior. I guess I was just trying to let you know I agreed with you on the interiors.
  • Options
    Oh, and to the comment that " I see more Chevys on the road" . Huh? Fact: Ford outsells ALL GM TRUCKS PERIOD. BOTH BRANDS get whipped. Reason? Well, we all have theories but the conclusion stays the same.
    Actually, if you were to listen to the public; one would think that Dodge should be crushing all others. Guess what!! Looks and engine choices do not matter to all truck buyers!!! What a concept! Ford has to be making something okay otherwise it would be getting obliterated in sales.

So here is the question: What does Ford do well in order to sell their trucks? And not just sell them--Sell more than all others??
    If they had such crappy vehicles--what gives? I guess Z-BADDD is right: Ford sucks!!!!
  • Options
    Well, for the first time, maybe I can agree with you "for the most part".

In my opinion, one should not even consider a V6 engine unless it can provide a benefit over a V8. Lower cost? Not by much. Better fuel economy, not at all. So why even buy one at all. A V8 will have less strain to do the same work and thus provide as good a gas mileage as a V6 will. The V6, no matter what engine brand, will be a poor choice in a full size truck.

Dog? Like I said, the most visited Ford web site, www.f150online.com is full of the "by whom". It does have almost as much uuuummph grunt as the 4.6l V8, but that isn't saying much.

I agree, having owned two new full size trucks with the 300 straight six, it is the ONLY 6 cylinder I would have considered over a V8. It had unlimited low end torque and could withstand mortar fire and keep on going. Worst mistake Ford did next to create the new model in 97, was to eliminate the 300-6 from the powertrain line-up.

The numbers you provided are like all numbers. They are derived from biased testing or manufacturer "specs". I have not found any true unbiased test numbers on any truck or car. Proof over time and customer survey is the only true evaluation to go by. The 4.3l V6 has always gotten good scores by on owner satisfaction. PERIOD. When Ford owners complain about their own brand new truck being a dog, yada yada yada, you gotta take it to the bank that its something to stay clear of.

You said it best in your closing paragraph. One SHOULD take note of what wins in the muscle car and truck engines. Nobody can rebute the FACT that GM wins more NASCAR car and truck races than Ford on GM's worst day. FACT! I know they are highly modified and not true GM / Ford engines but the design and technology is still by GM engineers and crewchiefs.

You are wrong about my loyalty to GM. I would be the first to slam GM if I had a bad experience with them or their vehicles. I have always owned GM cars and Ford trucks until Ford screwed up a good thing with the 97 forward models.

For once, I can converse with you on the topic and not get heated. Why? Because you stated your points without insults or slams. I don't care if you slam the vehicle I prefer, etc. One may have a totally different opinion than me. Thats ok. That is what has won fights on the battle field as well as brought us many quality cars and trucks to have that choice. We can always agree to disagree. Just don't start shooting at the back and we can argue points all day long without it getting ugly.

Touche'

Take care.
  • Options
    If you look at the customer surveys when a Ford customer is asked why they bought Ford over one of the competition, you will see the majority answer...cost. The Ford is a couple thousand cheaper. When someone is already buying more truck than they can really afford, that extra couple grand makes a big difference. Ford will always sell more trucks because of cost. Its the same with why all three American companies sell more cars and trucks. Cost.

However, you get what you pay for so buying a GM product saves you money in the long haul. Calm down everyone....I am entitled to a little bit of rashing. -smile-
  • Options
    Ford does NOT sell more trucks than GMC AND Chevy "combined".
  • Options
    brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    Funny, my '98 F-150 hasn't had a single problem in the first 28,000 miles. Neither did my last two chevys in a combined 85,000 miles. My dodge Ram has been in the shop 4 times in 2 years for tranny, CD, and brake problems.

Unlike someone else on these boards, I am not fool enough to consider my empirical experience proof that "fords are junk", or even that the Dodges are, and then go on to see that vehicle in the worst light possible in every category.

I feel it my duty to say ....Drop the pickled egg, spit out the redman, and STEP AWAY FROM THE HUGE CHEVY BELT BUCKLE, sir. Did a Ford salesman sleep with your wife or something?
  • Options
    Your post merits no response and adds absolutely no value to this forum when you show your low IQ in the fashion you just did.

Take your "Blue Shovel" of crap to the junk yard where you should find your truck parked.

Have a wonderful evening....SIR.
  • Options
    I finally can't stand it anymore. Your comments are so ignorant I almost understand why Rocles can't stand you. First off you are so misinformed on so many obvious things I kind of doubt your limited knowledge on everything else. When you spouted your NASCAR info it finally put me over the edge. If you take away Jeff Gordons wins the Fords have dominated the Chevrolets the last few years. The fact is Robert Yates Ford engines always produce more horsepower than your vaunted chevy motors. Just look at the points of the Winston Cup series and see who is at the top. If you knew anything you would realize the new LS-1 based motor which the new chevys have is actually closer to design to the old Ford design than the old chevy design ie. symetrical cylinder head ports as opposed to the old siamesed center ports of the chevy. I know you have no idea what I'm talking about but trust me. I don't even want to get into your next psycho babble but here it goes. I have been on Edmunds for hours documenting prices on new trucks and if there is even hundreds of dollars diference in similiar trucks I'd be suprised, much less thousands as you state. I do believe you try to pull peoples chains and you do a decent job. While I've been on the fence over a new truck since my lease on my nearly flawless F-150 is up you have pretty much made up my mind. FORD. If you represent chevy supporters then God help chevrolet.
  • Options
    bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    I think it is interesting to note that while one company may have a higher number of recalls, this could be a reflection of the company's willingness to help their customers, as noted by powerisfun. Also, I know that many of the recalls issued by Ford are for things like having the seat belt/air bag info on the wrong side of the sun visor. To me this is not a major recall. This is not to say that Ford doesn't have their fair share of major ones, e.g. torque on wheel studs. I had to take my '98 F-150 in for this. I guess my main point is that pure number of recalls is not as important as what the recall is for. Also, how willing is a dealership to help you if you have problems? That is a big issue, which is not necessarily controlled by the manufacturer.
  • Options
    rhinncrhinnc Member Posts: 66
    I bought my F150 Lariat 4x4 in March of 96. Drove it for 44000 miles, total unscheduled maintenance on this vehicle was to replace a right front rotor and reset the computer due to a mis-fire. Both around 30K miles on truck. Other than that no problems. Total time in service department of dealer, 4 hours.

I bought my 99 Z71 Silverado in July. I have owned it for almost 2 months of which one month has been spent in the service department. Replace rear main seal, replace all four cab to frame mounts, balance tires. This is so far and I only have 1100 miles on the truck.

I am trying very hard to like this truck, but it is not cooperating. Now I am getting a very loud thump when tranny changes from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 gears. Have a very annoying squeak in the seat (drivers). There is a very perceptable "growl" sound between 40-50 MPH. When the A/C compressor engages when at a stop sign the truck lurches. There is also a noise in the "vacuum" motor that drives the A/C controls. Sorta squeaks when changing airflow direction on A/C-Heat control.

Just wondering what will happen next. I know this is only 1 truck out of thousands, but I also realize that the Ford I had was only 1 truck out of thousands and I did not have these problems.

I did get GM to agree to pay my September payment, and while it was in the shop I drove a new truck as a loaner. The dealer is working with me, and of all the trucks they have sold, mine has by far had the most problems. Think I will give it another couple months and try and get another one.
  • Options
    Furthermore, if you use your own theory on populartity the ONLY reson chevy small blocks have an advantage in their numbers is because of cost and parts availability which aftermarket companys have slowly closed the gap on. If the gas crunch hadn't hit and the EPA didn't exist and fuel wasn't so piss poor we would have an abudance of Chrysler and Ford hemi's running around not to mention one of the all time great head designs, the Ford Cleveland.The problem was these engines would not run choked up. I almost think chevy got lucky they stuck to their old technology. It created an aftermarket to support the sheer numbers.While the small block chevy is deserving of being called one of the best engines ever it's probably because of fate they became so inexpensive to build.
  • Options
    In all honesty, Ford has beaten GM for the past few years. Problem is that I can't find the figures at the moment. I'll find kcram because he always has those sales figures. I'll get back to you on it.
    Nascar? Like lvstang has said: Take away Gordon and Earnhardt and Chevy has no one else. Jarrett, Martin, Burton, Wallace and Elliott have more wins than the rest of Chevy drivers over the past decade. Teery Labonte? No. Only 18 wins over 18 or so years. DW? Ouch! Don't forget about the Ford drivetrains used in all NASCARs. Well, that's more of a fun debate......
    I won't ever forget Earn-fart crying last year after the Vegas race. Whaaaa! Ford has an unfair advantage! Yeah, it's called making a better car. After cutting the heck out of the Taurus--finally Chevy could compete again.
    I agree though, on the sixes in a full-size truck. Unless price is the biggest hold-back, get the eight. 4.6L? Well..... I'll concede that the 280 is pretty small. The 5.4 is a better choice if the sticker doesn't scare you away.

BTW, Am I to gather from most Chevy and Dodge guys that if the Ford was more conservative in appearance would you be at least interested?? I'm trying to gauge how much looks impress buyers of trucks.
  • Options
    ferris47ferris47 Member Posts: 131
    Well I have been lurking here reading the post's for some time now and just thought I would post some personal opionions and experiances.

1st. The Chevy 4.3L,IMO, is probably the best 6 cylinder in a truck right now. I don't care for the Fords because it is just plain Anemic and Dodge just seems to be adequate. The 4.3 gets good mileage, great power and torque, if mated to the right tranny, and in my experiance is pretty bullet proof.

2nd As for the Chevy 5.3 vs the Ford 5.4 tough call I am on the fence. The Ford has more "Real Truck" grunt while the Chevy has a more usable powerband. I am personally waiting on a new Silverado because I use my trucks as personal vehicles and I think the Chevy is better suited to this task. Better, ride and handling IMO and a nicer Trans. and Engine combo for day to day driving and light pickup work.

The 5.4 is much better choice for "Real Stump puling truck work" I just feel that driving it at highway speeds seems to show the engine running out of breath or just not responsive. Again not trying to start a war here.

3rd. I always thought the Chevy and GMC combined outsold Ford. No hard evidence to offer and I would be interested if somebody could post some true numbers.

4th. Lets face facts. The best vehicles sold today are the full size trucks, Chevy, Dodge or Ford. They are the companies cash cows and none of them are Crap. I tend to like Chevy for my own reasons but like other people have said, Ford has got to be doing something right to sell the hell out of the 150s. The one thing I would like to see all 3 companies do is to stop making miniscule enhancements to each others truck to one up the other guy in some small way and to start re-building the entire, production, dealer and customer service aspects of the equasion. I love American vehicles especially trucks but they have a long way to go to catch up to the service and quality of say Lexus or Acura or Toyota. I am sure everybody here has at least one horror story about their favorite brand's customer service.

I just thought I give my opionion. I have heard that FORD is putting an 18 degree incline on the back seat for 2000 any chance of a bigger cab, not counting the new Crew Cab 150?
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I think GMC and Chevy combined to outsell Ford in light trucks for the most recent 1 month. Prior to that, not much contest, Ford easily.

That Jeff Gordon is something! You go boy! Dale Earnhardt, not too popular with the crowd spinning Terry Labonte around at Bristol, but that's racing! Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday never worked for me. Nascar has nothing to do, at all with how I perceive the value of trucks. I don't mind Mark Martin, or Wallace, or the Burtons winning. Bobby Labonte also kicks butt.

As one of those Chevy guys, I can tell you that more conservative looks for a Ford would not make a difference to me. The F150 already looks good overall. So did the square shaped ones before the swoopy look. I like the leather seats on the Lariat, and the contoured layout of the dash panel the way it blends with the windshield is nice, but don't care for the look of the instruments themselves. Put all the numbers back on the gauges, and lose the taurus oval themes, please! The F250 has the best external styling, and a cavernous interior rivaling the Ram, but extremely drab interior appointments unless you bought it for hosing out.

Can't wait to see the F150 Super Crew Cab hit the market! Don't need one myself, but it's going to be fun to watch it take sales from suv's and extended cab trucks, and cars. I think the concept of 4 full size doors and real back seat room will take off, if somebody gets this right. Nissan has it, but who wants a Nissan? I guess some do but I think Ford will sell F150 Super Crews as fast as they make them. GM? They will take too long, and be flat-footed. The new Silverado/Sierra was too late itself, almost. Selling pretty well now though.

Love my Silverado...You go Jeff!
  • Options
    Well, well, well. Sorry to throw you in such a tizzy. I'll try and behave myself by not giving MY OPINION about the blue shovels anymore.

Take a valium and try to have some fun.
  • Options
    Neither of you could have summed up my opinion of Ford and Chevy any better than you did.
    I totally agree with the both of you.

Ford 4.6l - dog
    Ford 5.4l - ok in the low end but not real useful over the entire rpm band for what "most" people use a "light duty" full size truck for. I can't EVEN imagine the disappointment buying an F250 with the 5.4l in it, but really no more of a disappointment than the 4.6l in the F150.

I have never owned one, but would buy nothing but a Ford in the diesel catagory (if I needed a diesel) My 1 ton with 454 is more than adequate for my real work. My 5.3l 1/2 ton is the best for overall driving and light duty full size truck service (what its intended use is for)
    Now, from all that I have researched about the ISUZU diesel, (don't go off again Rocles), I think GM may have a true winner in the diesel catagory for once.

Now, truth be known, I am not truly loyal to one make over another. I just know that in the 1/2 ton's Chevy has no competition. I would buy a Ford again, in spite of the piss poor customer service I received and the many problems I had with the 98 model truck I owned (gutless 4.6l) However, Ford better come up with a much better gas powered engine line-up and do something about the fit and finish of their cabin and accessories.
    The new Fords have squirrelly steering, weaker engines and transmissions than the pre 97's, and that goofy swoopy look has got to go. Looks like an overgrown Taurus with offroad tires. I didn't like the looks when they first came out, but I had always owned Fords with good luck, so I stayed loyal. Big mistake. I should have waited a few more months and got my Silverado. Costly mistake I am not likely to make again.

I am glad you Ford owners can see through all the Fords imperfections and like them anyway. It helps keep the competitions trucks more reasonably priced.

As for the NASCAR stuff. I like to watch Burton, Wallace, and Jarret race and I have no problem with them winning. When it comes down to who wins, it is really the driver more than anything. The cars are pretty much equal in aspects of any advantages mechanically.
    However, everyone knows that not only has Chevy dominated at the track, they have been the envy of the Ford guy's since way back in the 60's.
    Who can even put a lowly 4.6l Mustang in the same catagory as the C5 Vette? Not hardly. The Vette has always been able to eat the Mustang's lunch. Ford has NEVER created a real competitor in a production sports car, not in comparison to the GM lines. The closest thing Ford has had is the
    Mach I Mustang back in I think 71 or 72? Guessing at the year.

I am sure this post will get plenty of slams and such. No matter. Facts will still be facts. All one has to do is look at history and be humbled by the GM Muscle cars! Long live the GM Muscle Car!
  • Options
    No tizzy here, at least no where near the tizzy you threw with Rocles. Your biggest problem is you try to put your opinion down as fact. I guess you never heard of a Pantera, the A.C Cobra, or how about the Thunderbolt? SOHC Ford 427? Boss 429 hemi? How many times has G.M. anything won LeMans, Indy? Please don't count the Illmor/Chevy effort as a Chevy. Ford did run stock blocks at Indy and I will give Buick the credit it deserves on running a stock block but it never won. Please don't compare the racing heritage of Ford with G.M. there is no comparison. Again using your own way of judging things please look at the hundreds of posts of the problems with your beloved G.M. trucks you seem to turn a blind eye to. How convenient. Corvettes are absolutely bitchen' but no one even brought that up you dork. Sorry,I forgot no name calling. Like I've said before I like the new G.M. products but you just make it so hard to with your one sided views and your inability to separate fact from fiction.
    Take care.
    P.S. Are you trying to share your Valium prescription? How about your Prozac and Lithium?
  • Options
    leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    ya'll are bashin the new chevy's for all this stuff happening to them

but how much do you want to bet that when the 97 F-150 or the newer version of the dodge came into play, that there wasnt bugs or whatever in them.

ford and dodge have had ample time to fix all there bugs and chevy just came out with theres so i guess people just have to have something to bash each other about, i dont know

i have a '99 chevy Z-71 w/ 5.3L 3.73
    a buddy of mine has the ford 5.4 there pretty equal

i have ridden with him and he has with me
    and everytime i get on it when hes with me hes always just ooooooo'ing and ahh'ing on the acceleration

im not sayin that the 5.4 isnt lacking but it doesnt match up quite right

unlike some people i have pulled with my chevy(alil over 100 square bales on a 16 ft lowboy bumper hitch) im guessing --100bales @ somewhere around 75lbs each + - around 7500lbs + or -
    pulled like a charm, only thing i didnt like was that it squatted some

but what can you expect from a half ton??

chevy makes the gas engines, ford makes the diesels, dodge makes diesels too but doesnt have a truck to put it in

what ive heard about the reliability of the new isuzu goin in the chevy, i think that chevy might have something going here

im not biased against fords(only the f-150's)
    i personally think that the supy duties look awesome!! i wish chevy would hurry up and get theres out

and also on my final note.. chevy + <----(see that a plus sign)

chevy+GMC have been selling more "light duty" trucks for a long time
    anyways, if the f-150 is the best selling truck in america
    who gives a rats [non-permissible content removed], i would rather have

"The longest lasting pickup" or whatever it is

oh one more thing

people say that the chevy hasnt changed much..they need to open there eyes, its totally different.. and the accesories look awesome on them

f-150 looks like a damn car, just doesnt ride like one
    the dodge, well it looks like a dodge, same "OLD" dodge
    leathal
  • Options
    ya'll are talking about how ford and chevy in nascar

the engines are almost identical

it is probably 90% the driver and 10% the car

the driver is what wins the race in this case
  • Options
    You and I seem to have the same opinions. People here don't seem to read my WHOLE posts where I say GOOD things about SOME Fords, ie. the diesel, well thats it, the diesel. Well, the pre 97 trucks were good too.

Loyal Ford guy's seem to take anything said about their Ford trucks as a personal attack. Tells one where their value systems lie.

Get a life Ford guy's. You act as if someone is name calling your significant other's. Of course, with your taste in trucks and how you get so bent out of shape when anything is said negative about them, one has to wonder what your significant other looks like!!!! LOL.

lvstang:

Tizzy, Tizzy, Tizzy. You seem to be fairly knowledgeable of engines, etc. Like I said about the Ford production sports cars, I think I did mention the Mach I Mustang which, I think, had the 429 in it in its last two years of production. I am not sure, but I know you will jump to slam, uuuh I mean correct me if I am incorrect. Still the 429 could not compete with GM's MANY MANY Muscle cars. The Vette only had a 283, I believe at the time, and the stock 429 had to be modified to compete with it.

I don't know. Never claimed to "know it all". I just always hear about GM muscle cars, even from loyal Ford owners. The only ones that talk Ford so called muscle cars are the high schoolers with their 5.0 and 4.5l mustangs that mom and dad bought them, and of course "can beat anything on the road". Yeah, ok.

No. I have no need for Prozac. I can easily forget you even exist. To me its just a truck. I don't take truck slams to heart and rarely care about personal slams either.

Take your pacifier and your blanky and call it a night. Sounds like lack of sleep has made you grumpy. Maybe your truck can be line leader next year.
  • Options
    jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Ford does not make its own diesel the Navistar/Powerstroke. It buys them from Internation Harvistar. As for racing the AC Cobra was not a true Ford production car. It was a match of various car parts assembled into an automobile. Yes its performance was excellent. No mention though about the Corvette Grand Sport?
  • Options
    f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    The overall powerer band is not that much different from the 5.3 and 5.4. Actually the 5.3 does not catch up to the 5.4 until around 4200rpms. Fine in a car but no thanks in a truck.
    From the generous power ratings that GM motors tend to get I believe these independant dino testings that I have read. I have two friends with a 5.3 and have drove them and them mine(5.4). I will stick to the 5.4. Ecspeciallly in a 4x4.
    Got 5000 mi on my ext.cab 4x4 Sport 5.4 and have not had one thing go wrong. This is the tighest truck I've ever owned and am very pleased. However, I do own a 1984 s-10 with 180,000mi and is still going. Can't say much there. It has been a good truck and if I was ever to buy another compact it would probally be a S-10. But for the half tons the 5.4 is impressive.
  • Options
    First it was Rocles, then I think you tore jjed a new one, let's not forget you jumping all over Bruce35 and now me. It seems you are the only one that can have "just my opinion" if any body disputes what you have to say they get attacked. For the last time, I respect G.M. muscle cars and they have had a great history. The problem is as an unwanted child in the orphanage you were never taught any respect. You don't just state your opinion you have to bash and call everything junk if it's not yours. It makes me wonder when I think it was Bruce35 who asked if a Ford salesman slept with your wife and the tirade it caused if that wasn't indeed what happened. You have never commented on the fact that there is probably close to a thousand negative responses on the new G.M. trucks. And while I still think the G.M. trucks are awesome vehicles they too can have problems like your one Ford. Anyway I'm going to grab my blankey and go racin' this weekend at Firebird in Phoenix. If you get a chance come on out and see some 7 second small block Fords. It may change your opinion just a little.
    Take care.
    P.S. Even though my Mustang is no where near a 7 second car I swear Mommy and Daddy didn't buy it for me.
  • Options
    I havn't started any mud slinging here. I have ONLY responded accordingly to those WHO HAVE. Even yourself started the personal attacks, simply because you don't agree with my low opinion of Fords. I never initiated ANY attacks on ANY "PERSON". I will admit to and WILL NOT APOLOGIZE for my "attacks" if thats what you refer them to, on the Ford trucks themselves. My opinion and experience with the new model Fords is that they are pure junk. No quality and no guts. You should expect some vehicle brand bashing in a forum that is about comparing the new Silverado to the new F150. Get over it or go elsewhere. I don't even know you to bash you or anything about you personally. I don't think I ever did that. If I did inadvertently, then I apologize for that. I don't think I did though. You just don't like the bad talk about your choice in trucks. Look around, there are many people saying the same things I have said.

I admit, the Chevy truck is not perfect and I would be an idiot to say it is or even to expect it to be. What I will stand firm on is that for a daily driving, all around truck for light duty payload, which is what a 1/2 ton is for, my experience of owning both makes, Ford F150, and now the new Silverado, in spite of a few problems (VERY MINOR IN COMPARISON TO FORDS LIST), the GM truck line is a much better product as an "overall" choice.

Take a look at the recalls and service bulletins of the pre 99 Chevy's back to say 89. Then take a look at the recalls and service bulletins on the pre 99 Fords back to 89. Ford clearly has way more problems listed than Chevy. When I had problems with my Ford, I researched it out. The Ford trucks had more problems and the problems it did have were more severe problems than the ones GM trucks had. I admit that the new Silverado is not flawless, but the most severe one is the vibration problem and that has been determined to be the chrome wheels that are going on the 2wd model trucks. None of the 4X4 trucks have been affected. Change of the rims to another brand and people have been happy. To me, this is a very insignificant thing and should be expected on a new model truck.

Now Ford on the other hand.....Weaker engine line, an admitted weaker transmission than was used on less torque and hp trucks of pre 97 (why in the hell would they do such an idiot thing?)which has resulted in many transmission replacements, steering boxes on the new models go out before 50k miles (as mine did), pitman arm faiures (as mine did), transfer case and transmission grinds/vibrations (as mine did and could never get fixed), on and on and on and on.

I don't have a problem buying a Ford or Dodge or any other brand. I am not loyal to a make. I buy what is best on the market at the time I need to purchase. The GM truck line is far better a truck line overall than the other two. Reported problems prove it, survey's prove it, road tests prove it. There is just too many sources other than just my own opinion that point to the new GM truck to be the winner, at least for now.

Two or three years from now when I am ready to buy again, if Ford has pulled it out of there ear and come up with a truck that is a winner over Chevy, I won't blink an eye to buy a Ford. Although I am still quite discontent with Ford's total disregard to customer satisfaction. They still have not remedied all the piston slap trucks that they have not so slyly tried to wait past oem warranty expiration to address.

Wake up man. Buy the best. Don't buy from loyalty. If you do, you're gonna get stuck with an anemic, troublesome, and plain ugly truck.

Have a good day all.

-smile-
  • Options
    smcpherrsmcpherr Member Posts: 114
    Just thought I might add my opinion to the list too. I drove a 97 F-150 4x2 with the 4.6L V8, now I drive a 99 F-150 F-150 4x4 with the 5.4L V8. I don't use my truck for construction, or hauling cattle, or racing. Its a daily driver that occasionally gets used to move heavy, bulky items.
    I loved the 97, I thought the design of it looked very good, thought so from the first time I saw one in a magazine. I don't know what you are referring to when you say the 4.6 V8 is gutless. I recently moved from LA to Nebraska. I did it with the 97, a full load in the bed and a completely filled 16' Uhaul, crossing through Denver. Some of those mountain passes were quite steep, at high elevations. On that trip, going through (I believe it is called...) Eisenhower pass, at 70 mph, I punched it and easily flew by some car that was struggling to make the climb. I was able to accelerate, up a hill, with a full load, with a full trailer behind me, at high elevation, in a gutless 4.6L V8. I'd like to know what you have done that makes that makes the engine seem gutless. My overall opinion of the 97 is that it was a great truck, I would give it high marks on everything, including the handling and response, exterior design, interior design and even the gutless engine.

Now I drive a 5.4L F-150. Having 4wd sure does make it higher. No complaints about it at all. I doubt if I ever will.

I didn't buy from loyalty. I tested the other trucks. Dodge was ruled out by my fear of having it break down. Too many friends have not liked their experiences with the Ram. Chevy was ruled out the second I sat in it. Even though it has more room than my F-150, I felt cramped right away. Adjusting the seat to where I sit when I drive, I noticed I would have to lean up to see out the drivers side window, that pillar was right next to my shoulder. Didn't have that problem in the Ford. Also, I have a real problem with floor consoles. I like my space, and floor consoles are in my space. I don't even know if Chevy's come without that floor console, but the one I sat in did, and it really annoyed me. Call me petty, but nothing about the Ford annoys me. Nothing.

One final point. I don't know what you are referring to when you say the truck is troublesome. I got the 97 in June, 96, so I have driven the new model Ford for over three years now. Only one problem. A rock caught a brake line and cracked it. Lost pressure but a Ford dealer I took it too (Winnemucca, Nevada - great service!) fixed it quickly and got me back on the road. If that is the only problem I have had in the last three years, I don't see your alleged quality complaints.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    You are just one person and just one truck. Glad you had no problems, but that is not the majority with the new model Fords.

The truck was gutless because one had to stand on the gas pedal to get it to even downshift on the highway. It was adequate in First and second gear but lost grunt after that and especially on the highway in overdrive. Most people who use a light duty (1/2 ton) truck don't need as much in the low end as they do on the mid to upper end (highway speeds). The new model Ford trucks lack gumption past 2nd gear. Sure they have a higher torque at 2300 rpm, but only by 15 lbs and they quickly lose the torque advantage, peaking out much earlier than the GM. The GM trucks still have almost the same torque in the low end but maintain that torque over a longer and flatter band of the rpm range. Its nice that the Ford has that few extra pounds in the low end. Nobody can knock it for that, but it quickly becomes anemic for towing loads on the highway in comparision to the GM. The GM trucks have a much more useful torque curve than the Ford. Fact! Even unloaded it strained with a decent headwind or going up a slight incline. Forget having a passing gear.

Glad you stepped up to the 5.4l. Ford mainly puts the 5.4l in the F250. The power mongers get it in the F150's to use it as a race car. It is quick, but that doesn't make it useful for what a truck is designed to be used for. As a truck engine, even in a light duty truck, it is barely adequate for the F150.

Chevy's engine and transmission line up is much stronger and has much more choice/variety. Just don't have a good diesel line.....YET! When a small block V8 out torques and out horsepowers a V10, like the Chevy 6.0l against Fords V10, Ford better go back to the drawing board.

Chevy just beats Ford hands down. We can talk till we are blue in the face, but all the information, tests, survey's and the like prove it. Even the Chevy truck owners that have had more than their share of problems with the new GM trucks, still prefer the GM truck over the alternatives.

Ford just didn't have it this year, last year or the year before, but theres always year 2001. Maybe the Ford can be King of the mountain then. Not likely, but I will be the first to admit it if they do. We'll see.

Take care and again, glad you like your Ford.
  • Options
    cullowheehillcullowheehill Member Posts: 1
    Well I have had a 85 C10 that was wonderful for 135000 miles and the only thing that detsroyed it was it was hit by a95 year old man who was drinking and driving and going to his girl friends house. Hope I can do either at 95. My other recent "truck" was an Explorer and it also has been hardy for about 146000 mile and going strong.
    When I read all the stuff ya'll say about each others trucks I have about decided to buy neither. My very best ever was a 81 Chevy Luv, which was really an Izuzu and also the small 4 wheel drive of the year. Maybe another Izuzu or a Toyota or Nizzan is what is needd. the New Tundra really looks good and the engine is proven int the land cruiser.
    What do you think about that.
    Maybe a Toy is what I need.
  • Options
    The 5.4 is "barely adequate" in a light-duty?
    Well, explain the years of the 350 in the Chevys. Were those trucks "barely adequate"? What about the 5.3L? I think ZBAD wears a bowtie to work.
    Torque is most useful and needed at the lower rpm level. After a load gets moving, inertia and horsepower take over to keep it moving. Torque is most critical at the initial pull in which the added 15 lbs makes a difference.
    BTW, I've had many "barely adequate" Chevys and Dodges with small-block V-8s but my opinion was that they were better than "adequate".
    Vettes versus 'Stangs? Apples to oranges as we all know. The real comparison and rivalry are between the mustang and the camaro.
    KC has yet to get back to me about the sales figures but I'll get them to you when I can.
    Ford has the most different formats in which one can buy a light-duty truck. Don't believe me? Fine-look here at Edmund's and find out yourself.

Also--guys that wouldn't buy a Ford proved to me that looks matter. A major complaint from Ford-haters is the "swoopy" or "taurus-like" looks.
    ZBAD--for a guy who bashes Ford loyalty--why do you praise Chevy so much? I think you have more than a plausable pride for your brand of truck.
  • Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    The look of the F-150 is similar to that fish-faced look of the Taurus. My wife agrees strongly, and since she is paying for part of it, and hates the styling - it's out. Now the Superduty (Dodge clones) are decent looking.

But you and I know there is more important things. You sound like your trucks are mainly for work. Mine will be personal use with the occassional towing of a boat or horse trailer, and hauling some firewood.

Now from the "personal use" perspective here is why I selected the Chevy. It has more interior room + comfortable back, the 5.3 is more economical than the 5.4 with similar power, GM's autotrac 4WD, and the general better quality of GM products I have had (Camaro, Corsica) vs. Ford (2 Escorts, Taurus, Mustang) - mostly bought new.

The half-tons I believe are made for "personal use", and heavier trucks are made for daily work. A worktruck doesn't need power options, nice stereos, etc. If I didn't need to occassionally haul or tow something, or get through winter snows, I'd be driving a Corvette. Since my bank says I can only afford one or the other, I bought a Silverado. So to everyone who hates to see a truck at the grocery store I apologize upfront.
  • Options
    kernick,

But wasn't that my point? You gave reasons for buying Chevy over Dodge-not Ford since it was already ruled out by your wife due to its looks.
    I do use my trucks for work so looks are never a factor for me. If they were, I wouldn't own five Dodges! I think Chevy makes a fine truck and I have gradually warmed up to the new Silverado. Trust me, that's pretty hard after the three diablos I had from GM of the 95 model year. The 5.3L is a fine motor and from Chevy-that's what we expect. Also, I agree that Chevy has a better finish to their cars and trucks over the past few decades.
    The half-tons are for both work and play. I have many heavy-duties but I like my half-tons for warranty and shingling-only jobs. Speaking of work, I'm here at the office helping my staff out with the deluge of calls due to H.Floyd. Money is nice but I hate getting jobs under stressful calls from desperate people. I know that many people loath roofers but we get some compliments on days like this.
    Kernick-let us know how your truck works out--congratulations on your purchase!
    Roc
  • Options
    valarevalare Member Posts: 4
    Hello all: I'm new to trucks and am looking to buy a V6 short box silverado 5-speed transmission. Mostly for safety and height, and some occasional towing. Is there anything about GM V6's that I should know? Price is a factor here and I can get a really good deal right now. Any opinions would be welcome.
  • Options
    You said it for me. Thanks! 1/2 ton Chevy's are something to drive around in and occasionally pull a boat or something. I'll stick to the Ford where you can do more than occasionally pull a boat.
    Economics and a 4x4 does not mean that much too me. I will gladley sac. a few mpg. for a better overall truck. Come on, how many of you would really sac. power for a few mpg. That was stupid to say. Obviously there are alot of you.
  • Options
    What I said was half-tons are made for personal use, or at least that's the way their marketed and used. That would include the F-150 and the Dodge 1500.
    I don't think the F-150 is any tougher than a Silverado 1500. In fact isn't the Silverado rated for higher towing 8,500lb on my 5.3L Z-71, more power also, better mileage, more room. The Ford has the advantage in price, but not compareably equipped.
    You sound a lot like the Dodge boys around here, saying the Ford's better. I list specifics, you don't. What's better about the Ford? and let's stick with the F-150 vs. the Silverado 1500. Let's see your big list - not.
  • Options
    smcpherrsmcpherr Member Posts: 114
    Actually - one man, two trucks. Both trucks (97 and 99) have been excellent. Of course, only 5k on the 99. I don't recall what you are saying about having to stand on the accel in order for it to downshift. I always thought the tranny shifted at the right time, whether going up hill, against a headwind, or carrying a full load, I always felt there was more than enough power available for whatever maneuver I was trying. Never even noticed the downshift as being a problem. That was on the 97 with the 4.6L. I do notice more of a kick when the 5.4L downshifts, getting down into more power, I guess. I also don't see what you mean when you say the 5.4L is barely adequate.Just this weekend, I was traveling from Wisconsin to Nebraska, against a strong headwind (30+ mph). I had to slow once behind a truck to let some cars go by. I looked at the speedo, 55 mph. Cars go by, I accel (not flooring it, mind you...), and I look at the speedo as I go by the truck. 80 mph. From being at 55, probably 50 feet behind a truck, to being 80 mph when alongside the truck. My truck gained speed, and in a very short period of time. In a headwind. How is that barely adequate at freeway speeds? How much faster do you need to go? Side note - been very impressed with the gas mileage thus far. Trip to Wisconsin this weekend. Just over 500 miles one way, all interstate. Going there, slight tailwind, tonneau cover on the bed, moderate load under it. 19.2 mpg average. Coming back, heavy headwind (30+), tonneau cover on, no load under it. 18.6 mpg. Not bad for a gashog, huh? I thought I wasn't supposed to get better than 14 at any time. My in-city driving has getting me 14 mpg at the worst, mainly around 16 mpg. Only 5k on it thus far, so it may get even better shortly.

I must have been real lucky on the 97, heck I even had one of the first ones out, it was the first one sold at the dealer where I got it. I actually picked it out while they unloaded it off the truck. Drove it home that day. Anyway...

A lot of people here complain about the lack of space available in the F-150. I know its not as big, but I think it "sits bigger." For myself, I couldn't drive a Silverado, the door pillar blocks my view looking left. First thing I noticed when sitting in it. The one I sat in had a seat console and a floor console. Made me feel really cramped. The Ford, even with a center console, never has made me feel cramped. I don't care if Chevy or Dodge has a bigger back seat, the front seat is all I'll ever sit in, I don't routinely carry a load of people, and when I do, it's for a short period of time. For me, the available space in the front of the Ford felt bigger than in the Chevy, and that's all that mattered to me.
  • Options
    Ok, I am tired of this. If there is anyone in the Lansing Mi. area with a 5.3 hunk of junk that would like to hook up. Pull for pull. Lets rock! Please let me know. Come on down kerdick.
  • Options
    alright now

you want to talk about pull for pull??

are you talking about rear bumper to rear bumper or front to front??
    last year a bunch of buddies of mine were messin around so they hooked up a powerstroke vs. a chevy 350

both 3/4 tons

first bumper to bumper then back bumper to each other

let me put it to you like this, the guy driving the stroke was pretty upset

my point of this story is that when you hook bumper to bumper is that TRACTION and WEIGHT on the rear tires are more important than power

if you break the tires you are screwed

and yes we did this on concrete

i thought for sure that the stroke would win, but it was alil bit more of a favor to the 350, yeah the 350, the best small block that was ever built, except for the new ones that are out

and if you dont believe me, come here, there is rubber marks melted into the concrete
  • Options
    So I asked you a simple question - compare the F-150 to the Silverado 1500 and tell me how the F-150 is better - hp, interior room, brakes, etc.

You have a juvenile response, when you can't prove your point. Unless you're rich, I don't think you're dumb enough to get into a tug-of-war. I'd like to hear you call your insurance company after that.
  • Options
    I kinda figured that would get the ball rolling. I am dumb but not that dumb. Kernick, have you actually compared the the power curve of the 5.4 and 5.3 next to each other or are you just going by what you have read. The 5.3 has a flatter curve but does not catch up to the 5.4 until it reaches the higher rpms. And when it does they both flatten out and the margin is minimum. If you want to run a 4x4 at 4500 rpms all day than a 5.3 would be an excellant choice.
This discussion has been closed.