Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti I30/I35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have been trying to find the key for the sensor codes for the I30, its a '98. If you could direct me to a useful sensor code manual or just tell me what it means if you know, it doesnt always blink, it just does so off and on during the course of driving it.
  • lawmanlawman Posts: 2
    I bought a 2001 I30 in October 2004. It had just come in to a dealer in a trade. I am an old J30 owner and I love the I30 as well except for two things: (1) my gas mileage is in the range of 14/15 MPG (admittedly mostly non-highway driving); and (2) I'd like the driver's seat to go back a few more inches -- or for the steering wheel to telescope inward -- to be truly happy. Any similar observations? Any ideas on the lousy gas mileage situation? I've been using regular fuel. I've read here that I should be using premium. Does it really impact mileage?
  • benudivabenudiva Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2001 I30 about 2 months ago and so far I love it. I upgraded from a 95 Accord with over 213k miles on it (my odometer stopped working roughly 2 years ago--go figure) Anyhoo.. I was in the market for another Accord or an Altima but ended up with this baby. It was a company fleet car so it was impeccable inside and out with all the Infiniti services per the maintenance schedule. The car had 39k on it when I bought it.

I am a road warrior..drive roughly 60 miles a day to and from work plus any client sites I visit (roughly additional 50-75 miles a week). My question is.. should I invest in the extended warranty? To those of you with this model or prior years.. did you experience any problems/needed repairs between the time the factory warranty expired and when let's say an extended warranty would expires (100k)I need to know is it worth paying $1200 for an extended warranty.

FYI, I have a off market mechanic who kept my Honda in great shape for the fraction of the cost (i.e. cost of parts plus flat fee of 100-150 for labor) and before I bought this car I checked with him to make sure he could work on Infinitis and he can. Do you think I will be okay with just his expertise and buying Infiniti parts (filters/brakes etc from an online Infiniti parts website)?

Please advise. Thanks
  • I have only had my 2000 I30 for about 3 months now. Well, it has 51,190 miles on it and the "service engine soon" light came on. I am wondering if there is a problem or could it just be a maintenance signal. Has anyone had this happen before and should I be ALARMED?
    Thanks!!
  • myleswmylesw Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 I-30 that has the standard BOSE sound system installed. I recently got an Omnifi MP3 player that I love, and had a local Audio installer install it. Its wonderful, but they did the audio into the sound system via a FM modulator and the quality is poor. I understand that Soundgate offer a AUX input adapter that uses the CD Changer port, but their website states that its compatible with 1998-2001 I-30s that have a CD changer capability.

I've been researching this, and it seems that my car can take a CD changer (many seem to have this option on their 1997 I-30s) so I'm assuming that it would be ok in my car, but can anyone comment if they know any difference between the factory installed BOSE sound systems in the 1997 I-30s vs the 1998 I-30s? Are there any resources on the Internet for this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Myles
  • I have owned my 1999 Infiniti I30 for three years now and it has been an exceptional car! But it has always had a minor eccentricity that I would love to fix. Any suggestions? --
    This seems to happen mostly at lower speeds - let's say between 25 and 50mph. When I am cruising along at a steady speed and let off on the gas, there is an abrupt deceleration similar to what you would experience in a standard transmission car. This is an automatic, of course, and typically an automatic kind of "coasts" under these circumstances. I do not have it in the sport mode, as a matter of fact, it seems to do this less in the sport mode!
    Anyway, this is a minor thing, but I would sure love to cure this problem. I have driven several other I30's and Maxima's with this same engine and none of them do this, so I know there must be an adjustment or part replacement that would make this wonderful car 100% instead of 99%!
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  • i30rusti30rust Posts: 1
    My 2000 I30 is rusting on the trunk lid above the chrome plate and at the front of the hood, around the chrome grill.
    Infiniti tells me this is not covered by warranty, only if it rusts completey through before 7 years.

Are other I30 owners having rust problems?
    If yes, have you had any help from Infinti?

Dan
  • ajit1ajit1 Posts: 1
    Michelle,

I also have an infiniti 2000 i30 and my "service engine soon" light just came on after about 48,000 miles. I read the manual and it says that this light comes on for a potential emissions problem or a low fuel tank. I filled my fuel tank all the way and I drove for a while, and my light continues to remain on. I am thinking of taking it to the dealer, but i don't want to have them charge me nearly 1,000$ for a new catalytic convertor if that is not the problem. A previous post said that the diagnosis for the problem was a new intake timing sensor but i'm not sure. Have you done anything recently to fix this problem?

Ajit
  • karen15karen15 Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 I30 Limited with approx. 115K miles and have had a similar problem for a few years. When I would try to start the car it would turn over but wouldn't start and the service engine light would go on. After 2 or 3 tries the car would start and run fine for months at a time. Maintenance checks found nothing wrong until last summer when the dealer replaced the crankshaft position sensor and also advised that I might have an EGI wiring harness problem.

All seemed to be fine until about 2 months ago when the car stopped while I was accelerating onto the freeway. It started right back up again. I also noticed that the car was struggling while going up hill. A check by my local mechanic found nothing wrong.

Yesterday, the car started fine and when I stopped for gas it wouldn't start again. A local mechanic said the injectors are not working and there are no computer codes - just a message "no codes, ok to drive." He was able to start the car by injecting propane into the bypass injectors (not sure what this means) - but he thinks it is a computer problem. He wants to replace the computer system so I'm towing it to the dealer.

I expect they will want to replace the wiring harness.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, was it ever fixed?

I noticed a posting by Anne last summer that indicates a similar problem. Anne if you are still out there, I'm curious to know whether they ever found the problem with your car?

Also, my airbag light started flashing last summer. The dealer checked it out & said the side airbag needs to be replaced (for about $550). They said if the light stays on it means the driver's front airbag is gone.
  • hdrcahdrca Posts: 1
    :) Hi Michelle, I had the same experience, and yes U have to take your car to the dealer or experience mechanic, when I have the light on, I just take it to my friend as a mechanic after checking with the equipment he has, he found a problem with the one of the sensor (for emission) and he just reset the system (with his diagnose equipment) and after that I don't have any problem again, my mechanic says that sometimes the sensor get lazy (that what he say), just need to reset.
  • sjordansjordan Posts: 1
    Help! I have a 1996 I30 with the same problem. It doesn't bother me too much during the daytime, but it drives me crazy while driving at night! :(
  • plz_helpplz_help Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Infiniti I30 with 72K miles that occasionally I can't shift from Park. The owner's manual says that if the brake lights are not on (which they aren't) then this could be a transmission problem. Since I have noticed no problems driving the car, I am skeptical that this is a transmission problem. I have heard of similar problems occuring due to a brake stop switch, but I'm not sure if my car is even equipped with one.

Has someone had this problem before? :confuse:
  • jjwvujjwvu Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 Infiniti I30 and want to know if preium gas is needed? What happens if I put regular into the vehicle? Will it cause any engine damage?
  • plz_helpplz_help Posts: 2
    they recommended over 89 octane for my 2000 I30.
  • amandashamandash Posts: 14
    Hi,I just bought a 96 I30 and it has the same problem when slowing down to turn (does not down shift to first) and also poor mileage. Did you ever find a solution? Can you share it with me? Thank you for your time, I would certainly appreciate it.
  • amandashamandash Posts: 14
    I just bought a 96 I30. It is a wonderful car in many aspects such as ride, noise level, power, comfort and safety. There is one problem I noted (or 2). The transmission does not downshift to first when you slow down for a corner. You can feel the slow pickup and as you attempt to accelerate it then kicks into the lower gear. Also the fuel consumption is poor probably is the range of 17/18. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with symptoms like these or know the solution. I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks
  • breichbreich Posts: 2
    I also had a problem with the check engine light. I found out through an independent (non-Infiniti) mechanic that there is a known problem with the emission system in the 2000 i30t. The exhaust system is at fault - replace it and the problem goes away. Luckily I found this out just before I hit 80k - that's when the federal warranty is over. Since replacing it 5,000+ miles ago, the problem hasn't resurfaced. Fix it before the federal warranty is up - or the cost is $1,200+.
  • michelle7michelle7 Posts: 2
    Well, I took the car to the dealership and they said that it had something to do with the emission sensor. They fixed it and I haven't had any trouble out of it since.
  • manny6manny6 Posts: 1
    I own an Infiniti I-30 2000, and have gotten the service light coming on, and have receive this code: P0171 when Iused the OBD 2 Code reader (meaning: Too lean system in Bank 1) and this causes the engine to run lean and thereby makes it too hot. How do I fix this problem?
  • coldflamecoldflame Posts: 1
    Took my 2000 I-30 in for scheduled service and ended up with a $900 bill for new starter, etc.. When I got home, noticed the driver's seat did not retract. I called next day and was told I would need to replace one of the motors in the seat. Cost: $400. The service dept did manage to get the seat moving when the seat control switch was set to off, but the seat's stuck again. Any ideas on what my options are now?
  • paizano1paizano1 Posts: 1
    Hello, I am having the same problems. I read you stated something about a federal warranty before 80K. Is there a place i can read or find out about this warranty. I have 74K right now. Would like to have the info before dearler charges for repair.
    Thanks
  • lefoy3lefoy3 Posts: 1
    Can someone give me some information on the federal warranty. I also have a check engine light on a 2000 infinity i30t and I would like to know about the exhaust replacement

lefoy3
  • I just bought a 1999 I30 limited with 46k miles, and I have this EXACT problem.

Did you ever get a solution?
  • I have owned my 1999 Infiniti I30 for three years now and it has been an exceptional car! But it has always had a minor eccentricity that I would love to fix. Any suggestions? --
    This seems to happen mostly at lower speeds - let's say between 25 and 50mph. When I am cruising along at a steady speed and let off on the gas, there is an abrupt deceleration similar to what you would experience in a standard transmission car. This is an automatic, of course, and typically an automatic kind of "coasts" under these circumstances. I do not have it in the sport mode, as a matter of fact, it seems to do this less in the sport mode!
    Anyway, this is a minor thing, but I would sure love to cure this problem. I have driven several other I30's and Maxima's with this same engine and none of them do this, so I know there must be an adjustment or part replacement that would make this wonderful car 100% instead of 99%!
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  • tseektseek Posts: 2
    I have the same recurring problem, and even worse the pipe off the muffler has rotted out. Can't believe this at only 62,000 miles! Thanks for note on the federal warranty. If I have to reference the dealer who fixed your issue, will you let me know who that dealer was?

Thanks
  • pro5mohpro5moh Posts: 29
    Hi

I am planning in buying a I30 (2000-2001).

Have a few Questions..
    (1). Does I30 require Premium Gas?
    (2). Reliability from JD Powers Looks Next to Great -- Is that True?
    (3). Also equivalently equiiped Maxima's are costing more than I30 -- Any reason as to why? (I thought Both the Maxima and I30 Have the same basic structure-- Is this true?)
    (4). Whats the avg gas mileage for a I30?

Thanks for your help1
  • snuggsnugg Posts: 4
    It's in your warranty and maintenance book from the infiniti dealer.
  • snuggsnugg Posts: 4
    My check engine light comes on and gives me a P0420 reading from a OBDII scanner. I've found out It's either the catalytic converter or the rear O2 sensor. The only way i know how to check the o2 sensor is to check the voltage going through the sensor. i don't believe you can check the voltage at the sensor location. Does anybody have any information on this. I really want to avoid taking it to the dealer.(One can never trust those guys).
  • breichbreich Posts: 2
    Sure, it was Park Ave Infiniti in Englewood NJ.
  • i have a 2000 I 30 which has been fairly trouble free till now.
    recently the drivers power seat stopped moving backward and forward. the up and down controls still work.
    i found on the internet that there is a technical service bulletin for this problem, that the power seat motor needs to be replaced. this is estimated to cost $700 +tax.
    as the vehicle is out of warranty, i will have to pay.
    my question is this: as this is a problem that they apparently know about that occurs in only 2 model years o f this vehicle, what are my chances of getting infiniti to pay for this repair.
    infinitisemal??