Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti I30/I35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I've been reading these posts for a little while and follow most of the recommendations. My i30 '01 it's being acting up with the same problems for more than a year now and almost $3000 spent. O2 sensors changed, fuel injectors cleaned, MAF sensor cleaned, air filter changed. It's been on Brake Plus, on the Infinity dealer, on a local mechanic shop, and everybody knows what it is, but nobody have changed a thing. Love my car, but not the fact on going back to square one on the same problem.
    Any suggestions besides getting rid of it.
  • Here is the deal.........I have a 1998 Infinity I 30 with around 135000 miles on it. I have had a problem starting my car for about a year now.......It refuses to crank smoothly! Its odd, in the summer it takes several attempts to get the vehicle to turn over and in the colder months it seems to start with fewer attempts. Nevertheless, the vehicle never wants to start right up! Over half the times that I do crank it the car just dies and the cycle starts again.......seems as if NOONE can figure out what the problem is.......ANY thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • lori925lori925 Posts: 12
    When you try to turn it over, is it doing absolutely nothing until you crank it a few more times? Or is it starting okay, but then stalling?
    I just replaced the mass air flow sensor in my 1996 I-30 and it solved all my problems which included: terrible gas mileage, stalling, black smoke out exhaust, RPMs jumping around and hanging out down below 400, starting the car and having it instantly stall and having to start it over and over again while depressing the gas, etc...Some days it drove great, but over the past 12 months, those bad symptoms increased in frequency. You can get a remanufactured MAF sensor for $240 at O'Reillys but if you buy it new from Infiniti it is over $600. The good news is that this sensor is located right on top of the throttle body, connected to where the air filter goes and it is literally 4 screws and a plug. It's so easy to change, I wouldn't pay a mechanic $60-$90 for an hour's worth of labor, because it literally takes 10 minutes and if you have the right tools, you can do it yourself. Good luck!
    It was the mass air flow sensor. I put in a re-manufactured one and it has completely solved my problems!
  • This was starting to happen last fall but then cold weather seemed to arrest it. Now hot weather is returning, it is happening almost every time the car is headed up hill, it hesitates and even stalls and won't downshift accurately, and in fact seems to disengage the transmission. When I stop it and turn it off and back on, and accelerate through the gears, it does okay until it needs to downshift again out of overdrive. I am thinking it might be my Mass Air Flow Sensor but don't know. Has anyone had similar issues? Any ideas how I can fix this?
    I just replaced my mass air flow sensor and it cured ALL of my symptoms including, black smoke out exhaust, stalling when foot is off accerator (like when approaching a stop sign), TERRIBLE gas mileage, RPMs decreasing from 1000 down to 400 and lower and acting like she wants to stall until I pop it into neutral and gas it up, and stuff like that. Do your symptoms seem like that? I have a 1996 I30 with 150k miles. There is also a mass air flow cleaner you could try before replacing it. This part is so easy to get to, since it's right on top of the throttle body and is literally 4 screws and a plug. It will NOT make your check engine light go on, and there will be some days that your car will drive just fine. How long has this been happening? Now, I am not sure about your symptoms when it comes to driving uphill, because I live on a small island off the coast of Georgia and we are pretty FLAT at sea level....
    Check that, SIX screws and a plug. If you have the right tools, you can totally do this yourself. A new MAF sensor from Infinit is $600 but a remanufactured one from O'Reillys is under $240 and has a $50 core charge you'll get back when you turn in old one. Be careful if you clean it with the MAF cleaner from Auto Zone, because the filament, it is made of platinum and apparently really sensitive.
  • jodimjodim Posts: 1
    I have '99 i30 with 137K miles. Sometimes when I am driving it feels like it will stall and sort of bumps a little. Like it is getting enough gas, not sure what it could be.

Any ideas
    do you have black smoke coming out of the exhaust sometimes? Is this problem intermittent or is it happening all the time? When does it feel like stalling? Does it happen when you are approaching a stop sign? Or when you are giving it gas?
  • dh30dh30 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 I30T and a couple weeks ago the idle speed was crazy. It would idle at about 1800 RPM or rev back and forth between 1500 and 2200 RPM. I took it in and they said something happened in the computer that fried the idle sensor and they replaced the idle sensor. It would then idle fine after that fix but when I would start the car when it was cold it would die unless I tapped the gas pedal a couple times which seemed to then get the car to idle fine. It is now 2 weeks later and the idle speed just went up to 1500 RPM again at a stop light but was fine the rest of my trip in to work. I am concerned the same problem is coming back and am at a loss for what may be causing it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! The guy that fixed it the first time said my computer may be fried and that would be $1,200 to replace plus an additional $290 to put another new idle sensor in again. HELP!!!
  • infinjiminfinjim Posts: 1
    I'm having this issue now too. The gearshift lever can be unlocked manually by removing the little cover just in front of the gearshift lever pushing a small diameter object (I use a pen cap) down while shifting out of park.

Exactly where is the fuse for the brake light switch and where is the brake light switch itself? Mr. Shiftright, will you please weigh in?
  • stevenohstevenoh Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 Infinity I30 (145,000 miles) where the speedometer stops and restarts randomly. Any thoughts on what my be causing the issue?

So far the speedometer restarts after anywhere from a few minutes to 20-30 minutes. The tack still works -- the speed and odometer stops and restarts.

Stopping and restarting the engine doesn't automatically fix the issue.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,637
    Well you can easily diagnose this by having someone check if you have brake lights or not. If you don't then you look towards the brake light switch or fuse. If you DO have brake lights, then you have to look at the shift-interlock solenoid and its circuitry.
  • My i30t won't start. It turns on but when I try to start her up she makes a wierd noise thats barely audible. It's not the battery, and it's not the starter. I had a guy fix this problem 4 days ago, and he said that I didn't put her in park all the way. This problem came up last night as well. But I checked and it was in park all the way.
  • stevenohstevenoh Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    I have an 1997 infinity I30 and periotically my speedometer stops or freezes for a period of time (sometimes from 10 to up to 40 minutes) and then just starts back up again. During this period the tach work fine and the car is running fine.

Any thoughts on what could be going on?
  • I have an I30 sedan 99 with 165000 miles. My service engine light is on. One place could not determine what's wrong with the car. Has anyone else has had this type of problem? If yes, what is the cause and the way to correct it? Also, the estimated price to repair it.

Thanks
  • geminijergeminijer Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I just had a speed sensor replaced in my 1997 Infinity I30t. The speedometer always worked fine. Since the sensor replacement ( 3 days ago ), the speedometer will randomly work and then drop to zero. To coincidental. Does anyone have a clue as to what's happening to the speedometer. Almost sounds like a slipping cable as a result of the sensor work ???
  • I have a very similar problem with my 1998 I30. I often have to tap the gas pedal to crank the car. It seems to happen more often when it's cold as you mentioned. And sometimes, right after I start the engine, the car idles unusually. Every time I take my car in, they tell me I'm crazy and that they have no trouble cranking it.

Any updates to your problem? Any luck figuring out exactly what's wrong?
  • brig7brig7 Posts: 5
    I am almost sure that the problem is the generator. My question is:
    Is it hard to replace it myself?
    If it is how much would it cost to repair it (average price)?

Any help will be welcomed ;)