Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    rezo00rezo00 Member Posts: 103
    Is the transmission in the G35 auto the same as in the I35? Have you ever noticed that the infiniti auto transmissions are a lot slower then acura or lexus? Let me give you an example the I35 vs the 3.2 TL type S. both auto trans. The curb weight of the I35 = about 3400 the TL about 3500
    the TL has only 5 more hp so the lbs/hp are almost exactly the same yet the TL averages 0-60 in around 6.4 (6.2, 7.0, 6.4, 6.2 from 4 diff magazines) while the infinity averages 6.9 or 7.0.

Now either its a crappy slush box, or the gear ratio's are way different...either way it sucks that they dont give it a propper drive train...maybe the G35 will be different but I predict no better then 6.5 with the auto.
  • Options
    canadacraigcanadacraig Member Posts: 34
    The Acura TL-S and Infiniti I35 SHOULD be 'equals'. But they're not - as you pointed out. Infiniti/Nissan automatic transmissions are not 'geared' correctly. [as far as I'm concerned] There is NO reason WHY the Q45 [as I mentioned in an earlier message] should be slower than an LS430. I was excepting the Q45 to be a '5.5 seconds to 60' car. As for the I35/TL-S comparison - it should ALSO be noted that the I35 has a 4-speed auto transmission while the TL-S has 5-speeds. It will be interesting - indeed - to see IF Infiniti has been listening to all of the 'gearing' critism.

Craig!! :o)
  • Options
    totalnettotalnet Member Posts: 67
    My work place is only a mile from the dealership. I was in the office on Saturday. So when I read that they had the pre-production model there, I drop by the place after I finish what I had to do at work. But it was too late, the car was already on it's way to a dealership in Sacramento. Told one of the saleguys that I will be interested in the coupe when it comes out this fall anyway. The guy claim that the coupe will just have the two rear doors removed and have longer front doors like old Accord. But then I ask why have 9 months delay in introducing the coupe, since the producing a car with two missing doors is very easy. Even my first year 2 doors 95 200SX was being made at the same time as the first year 4 doors 95 Sentra. Why even have the sketch of the coupe on the Infiniti website anyway.

PS, the different between the 95 200SX and Sentra was the 200SX was a fastback in the rear window area. As I wrote earlier, they had different rear light cluster. To me, the 200SX look better with wing spoiler. The first year base 200SX didn't come with it standard, later years base model was standard equipment.
  • Options
    aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The G35 has a 5-speed auto, and the I35 has a 4-speed auto. They are different transmissions.
  • Options
    My work place is only a mile from the dealership. I was in the office on Saturday. So when I read that they had the pre-production model there, I drop by the place after I finish what I had to do at work. But it was too late, the car was already on it's way to a dealership in Sacramento. Told one of the saleguys that I will be interested in the coupe when it comes out this fall anyway. The guy claim that the coupe will just have the two rear doors removed and have longer front doors like old Accord. But then I ask why have 9 months delay in introducing the coupe, since the producing a car with two missing doors is very easy. Even my first year 2 doors 95 200SX was being made at the same time as the first year 4 doors 95 Sentra. Why even have the sketch of the coupe on the Infiniti website anyway.

PS, the different between the 95 200SX and Sentra was the 200SX was a fastback in the rear window area. As I wrote earlier, they had different rear light cluster. To me, the 200SX look better with wing spoiler. The first year base 200SX didn't come with it standard, later years base model was standard equipment.
  • Options
    maybeg35maybeg35 Member Posts: 186
    I plan on seeing it again in San Jose on 25-26 I think. Does that help
  • Options
    I also wondered why the Q45 wasent as fast as say an E55AMG which has almost the same HP....
    Its great that its a different transmission (5 speed) lets hope that they put the right ratio's in (I cant wait to see some numbers).
  • Options
    68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    QUOTE: "The guy claim that the coupe will just have the two rear doors removed
    and have longer front doors like old Accord."

The salesman probably didn't know what he was talking about. I think he was just trying to get you to buy the sedan now rather than waiting 9 months for the coupe so that he can get his commission now and split. The Infiniti rep/manager I met at the auto show specifically said that quote, "the coupe will not just be the sedan with two doors removed" unquote. He said the coupe will be much sleeker, wider and with a longer hood and more HP. He said most people that have seen the photo of the actual coupe like the coupe better than the sedan. I think it will be more like the BMW 3-series in which the 330i and the 330Ci do not share any body panels. However, I don't think the difference will be as drastic as the Lexus ES300 versus the old SC300 coupe.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Ok guys. Here is the slide show of the G35 and 350Z (also a quick snapshot of Mercedes and Chrylser). Due to limited memory, I was not able to provide you with everything at the show.

Sorry for the delay. I found out that photopoint.com went out of business so I wasn't able to upload pictures to that site. Yahoo sure has a better service. Caveat: you must register as a Yahoo user in order to open the slide show.

Click on "thumbnail".

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/marketbuy2002/lst?.dir=/Cars&.view=l
  • Options
    jvvjvv Member Posts: 12
    For more detals on the G35 engine, transmission, safety and history, take a look at:

http://www.carseverything.com/content/article/1401/

Much of this info has been covered here, but there are some techinical details for the curious.

• Options
    I know he was trying sell me the sedan then, he is a car salesman after all. But I am glad to hear from someone more believable that it will be more than just with two doors removed. I was hoping that the coupe will be either wider or lower. The height to width proportion of the sedan looks too much like the current Civic/RSX. To me, the Civic coupe and RSX don't look like they are riding low to the ground. They just look to high compare to the previous generation Civic and Integra coupes. It look ok on the Civic sedan and G35 sedan, it just doesn't work on me with coupes.
  • Options
    drod2045drod2045 Member Posts: 39
    "I think it will be more like the BMW 3-series in which the 330i and the 330Ci do not share any body panels. However, I don't think the difference will be as drastic as the Lexus ES300 versus the old SC300 coupe."

Thats because the SC300 and the ES300 are not related at all.
  • Options
    A 'SALESMAN' is NOT OUR 'FRIEND'. We ALL need to remind ourselves of that. He/she WANTS to SELL us something. THAT is their JOB. In MY experience [and I've bought well over 50 cars - so far] the overwhelming majority of salesmen will outright LIE IF that's what it takes to get YOUR money. [and get 'it' NOW] The LAST 'thing' a salesman wants to do is to encourage 'you' to WAIT. Whenever you ask [most] salesmen about a future model [such as the 2 door version of the G35] he/she will do whatever it takes to discourage you. "....the coupe will just have the two rear doors removed and have longer front doors like the old Accord." [in other words - DON'T WAIT - BUY THE CAR WE CAN SELL YOU NOW!!]

The one 'thing' that I LOVE to hear a salesman say is, "I don't know - but I'll see if I can find out." Salesman far too often feel as though they HAVE to have an answer for EVERYTHING. It's OK not to know. It's far better to admit to not knowing something then it is to LIE. Nobody knows everything!!

• Options
    From my many experiences with car salesmen over the years, I have found that in most cases the salesman is the last to know. The dealership is the second to last to know and the individual salesman is the last to know. The car press usually gets the information about new cars well before the dealers get anything from the manufacturers. Car magazines and web sites like this one usually have more info well in advance of the dealers.

Many car salesmen seem to be fly-by-nights who never last more than a couple of weeks at a dealer. Usually not long enough to learn the details about the cars they're trying to sell. I guess they have to hit their sales quota in a week or two or else they're gone. The most frustrating thing is that I typically know more about the cars in their showroom than they do (but then again I am sort of a car nut). However, you would think that they would read up and study at least the brochure before attempting to sell the car. I guess there are enough gullible car buyers out there in the general public that they can get away with it most of the time. But we know those that read Edmunds.com's Town Hall are a lot smarter than that, right?
  • Options
    A 'SALESMAN' is NOT OUR 'FRIEND'. We ALL need to remind ourselves of that. He/she WANTS to SELL us something. THAT is their JOB. In MY experience [and I've bought well over 50 cars - so far] the overwhelming majority of salesmen will outright LIE IF that's what it takes to get YOUR money. [and get 'it' NOW] The LAST 'thing' a salesman wants to do is to encourage 'you' to WAIT. Whenever you ask [most] salesmen about a future model [such as the 2 door version of the G35] he/she will do whatever it takes to discourage you. "....the coupe will just have the two rear doors removed and have longer front doors like the old Accord." [in other words - DON'T WAIT - BUY THE CAR WE CAN SELL YOU NOW!!]

The one 'thing' that I LOVE to hear a salesman say is, "I don't know - but I'll see if I can find out." Salesman far too often feel as though they HAVE to have an answer for EVERYTHING. It's OK not to know. It's far better to admit to not knowing something then it is to LIE. Nobody knows everything!!

• Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Anyone who makes a living on commission selling you something is NOT your friend. No way, shape, manner, or how. S/he needs you to make a living! Since information is power, keep them at arm's length. Don't let them know what you are thinking or why. Tell them as little as you have to. A bit of mis- or dis-information can be helpful at the right time and place in negotiations. And never let 'em know how much you can afford, what you think reasonable payments are, whether you really love the car or not, etc.
  • Options
    mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    We are always the last to know. The manufacturer never lets us know a damn thing ahead of time. Because they want us to sell what they are making right now rather than what will be out in a year. However, that is no excuse for lying to a customer.

Back to the G35 the G35 uses a five speed autobox, so it obviously has nothing to do with the I35, and the gearing in the Q45 is designed for maximum comfort and gas milage not performance. The G35 coupe will also be more powerful than the sedan.

Remember that someone on commission has to be your friend, because when it comes down to it you are paying their salary. Many salesmen forget this tidbit, but that does not make it any less true. Although I agree their is nothing more annoying than a salesperson who can not be bothered to learn their own product.
  • Options
    pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    They have a picture of the concept coupe on the infiniti website. They state it will be wider, have more horsepower (280?) and a more assertive stance.

http://www.infiniti.com then click on future models.

• Options
    one_loveone_love Member Posts: 28
    As we know G35 already has 260 hp I'm guessing the coupe will have 280hp while the Z will have 300hp and the next Maxima will have 280hp.

Just imagine G35 coupe and Z costing just about the same. How Horrible is that? The reason why the coupe will cost more is because of Z Nissan does not in any way want to jeopardize the Z it will be the only car in it's class and thats the way they want to keep it.
  • Options
    mvargo1... Amazes me that carsalespeople don't seem to read various publications. They can know as much as any of us here if they want to. Just read publications like C&D, R&T, MT, AutoWeek, etc. There is a ton of info out there for them to learn more than enough to be educated about the products they sell and to communicate good info to potential buyers. Doesn't seem like they study the material issued to them as part of new car introduction. They have access to a lot of information which they don't seem to avail themselves of.

There are "friends" and there are "friends". Real friends don't have a financial interest in our actions and help us make decisions that are in our best interest, not someone else's interest. A commission salesperson is not my "friend", but they can and should be polite, professional, informed, honest, ethical, and helpful. I need that, not friendship.
  • Options
    The funny thing was that if I haven't seen the preview sketch on Infiniti website, I would of drop the G35 all together from my consideration list. As I am planning to buy another coupe to replace my current car. I was at the dealership to see the workmanship, options, and interior of the G35 sedan to see what I can expect in the coupe. Couple of months ago, there was no Nissan/Infiniti products on my list. Because they have not made any coupe in awhile. The 350Z is not on the list because it's going to be a two seater. Once in awhile, I need to carry more than one passenger for a short distance.
  • Options
    Searching around and found this. Click on Specials

then G35.

http://www2.grubbsinfiniti.com/en_US/AdWizardMainMenu_1.chtml

• Options
    dfd3dfd3 Member Posts: 57
    Hey maybeg35:

Didn't you know that we Texans have always been the darling children?!?!?!? The link to Grubbs Infiniti that you found does have correct information. This is where I placed my G35 order as posted last week or so. I will have to pay sticker, but this gift card amounts to a "rebate" of $500. I gave them a deposit check for $500 and they gave me the gift card (have not got it yet, had to order it). I have searched boards all over and have found no one getting the G for less than MSRP. Has anyone out there gotten less than MSRP? I will see the G at our Auto Show next week: can't wait.
  • Options
    This is the only deal I have heard of. My local sales manager type says he will give "something off" but would not commit til I ordered. Probably a free key chain!

Your deal won't work for me. Probably cost 1000 to get it here.
  • Options
    As I see it manufacturers have two choices when it comes to performance, they can 1) Have real performance products which are about as fast as there HP and weight dictate, or 2) they can have high HP but really bad gear ratios and speed limiters so they can use cheaper tires, and not have to worry about insurance rates spiking from drivers screwing up.
    I hope that nissan will live up to there true potential...they have the momentum again.
  • Options
    metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    I've been passively checking out (an being somewhat amused in the meantime)all the hullaballoo(sp) over the tail design of the G35. It wasn't until tonite that I decided to investigate further and looked at hvan3's pictures. All I've got to say is "what the #&!! was Infiniti thinking when they designed this?" Reminds me of the old AMC Gremlin from behind ! The rest of the car looks outstanding but it appears the design engineers suffered from brain freeze when they came up with this ! I'll have to check it out when it comes to a dealer near me, but as of now, it just fell off the "short list". Oh well, there ARE worse things in life.
    just my .02 !
    metmdx
  • Options
    I saw the car in person and liked it. Did you see my pics?

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mike1650/lst?.dir=/G35

• Options
    The Infiniti G35 has technically been around since 1999(XVL Concept) the design is even at it's midlife. YET people are acting as if the rear end magically appeared on the car just recently.

You all gotta be kidding to even be complaining about the rear it's almost hyporcritical with how similar in shape the taillights alone are to the BMW 3 series let alone the Accord. When I first saw the rear in 1999 I thought it was the best rear Nissan designed yet. Not because I liked it personaly but because it was conservative and I thought it would be pleasing to most people.

There is nothing wrong with the rear. For as long as this car has been out and so little changes to it not even significant changes to the interior and the only significant exterior change is side marker lights and badging. This just goes to show how weird people can be. Maybe it's an internet thing?
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    mike how did u find the ad ? actually we arent luck its usually imposible to get a good deal in the Metroplex. I was thinking your in Nebraska for some reason, should be able to get here for a few hundered. It says it expires on 02-01-02 and im not ordering a car til i drive one, o well.

DL
  • Options
    jjy1jjy1 Member Posts: 26
    There's nothing weird with the fact that so many people think the rear is ugly, it's because it IS ugly(imho). I compared the rear against all the luxury/sports car rears out there (BMX, Lexus, Merc) and I definitely thought the g35 had the worst rear.

As far as why we didn't complain sooner, it's cause you never know what the car will actually look like until production starts.

Like I said before, it's rare that a rear is so disliked by so many people. I do care what other people say about the car I own, so after spending 30k+, I don't want them to say that your car has an ugly butt - something for infiniti to think about...
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I liked the concept even less.

You gotta put everything into perspective, though. This will likely be a fine car with perhaps controversial rear end styling, but that's hardly the most important factor to me.

The 3 series and Z3 have been criticized for the L-shaped taillights, too. Though they are much, much smaller. I think the G35's would look better flipped upside down, to raise the tail instead of lowering it (visually). Anyone good at photochop?

Also, the new 7 series has to be the most hideous thing to hit the street, so BMW is not immune to ugly design.

-juice
  • Options
    This was DFW Infiniti, he was on Yahoo Clubs under G35, not as spam just as matter of fact.
    Hey I put down a $500 deposit here in Calif. after seeing the car and liking the looks. If I hate the drive I walk and at least here get my deposit back (state law I think). I also wanted to get one of the first so I could ride that 2003 monaker for as long as possible. My dealer doesn't even have anymore available and he's a large dealer he in Ca.
    Mike
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    I'd say it remains to be seen if "...so many people think the rear is ugly". The antithesis of that statement, i.e. so many people think the G35 rear end is the bomb, would be no closer to the truth. The car just went on sale. As far as I know, it hasn't even been featured in any national ad campaign yet. The opinions expressed in an Edmunds topic board mean little in the real world. Face it, most of the people (yours truely included) who bother to post on this list are a bit over the top car enthusiasts with strong and rather unyielding biases. A niche audience, so to speak, and probably not a very good mixture for obtaining opinions about anything as subjective as the cars looks.
  • Options
    I agree, however you must consider that the G35 is aimed squarely at car nuts like us. It would be a shame for one to end up in less capable hands, no?

-juice
  • Options
    b4z... I always ask them who pays their commission. If it is the seller, as it is in real estate, then the salesperson works for the seller. They have a legal obligation to best represent that person. They may also have other obligations, legal and ethical, to the buyer, but their first and foremost obligation is to the seller who pays their commission. A buyer's broker, on the other hand, is the buyer's equivalent, who works for and on behalf of the buyer.

My dad used to be a realtor, sold cars, and did some other commission sales work. He made it clear that he and his peers were working for the seller or business they represented.

I know lots of commission salespeople, including realtors, who say they don't want to know any negative info if it legally has to be passed on to the potential buyer. Not unlike an attorney who doesn't want to know if his client is guilty or not. They don't have to report what they don't know and they let their clients know this. Tight lips keep negative info out of hands of potential buyers!

How many used car salespeople do you know who spoke personally and in detail with any dealer's mechanic who might have looked over the used car that ended up in the dealer's inventory?

I've had lots of realtors say what you have. I always ask that person who pays their commission and whether they will tell the seller relevant info they receive from me (e.g., that I like the house and any info I discuss concerning whether I will pay the asking price or some other price). The realtor always says "yes" to both. I also marvel at how upset realtors get when I say I won't buy unless and until I get an independent home inspection from someone I select and pay completely separate from the sellor/realtor. They always tell me I don't need an inspection, or I should use their person (like I'm gonna trust that report). I don't agree with either stipulation.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Here in Calif, we have to state on the Agency Disclosure who we represent. 99% of the time, I represent the seller only (I'm a listing hog). But in the car business especially, the consumer has to be pretty niave if he/she thinks the saleperson is not working for the dealer. Maybe we should start a business representing buyers for cars like in real estate!
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    In person at the LA auto show and I found it a strikingly handsome car. It's not in the same physical class as a 3 series bimmer to me, but no other car really carries the same creases, curves, bulges and flairs as an M3. Still, for the money the G35 is a darn nice car, even if the license plate should be on the trunk and not down in the bumper.

BTW, 7 series in person is flat out sexy. I was never a fan of the old 7 as it just seemed long and slab-sided (like all current Lexus cars) but this new one has character and looks fast sitting still.

Stanny: So then TWO people can steal a commission on the sale of a car? Isn't it bad enough that car salesmen exist and get paid for it? Now you want two people to run off with a profit for doing nothing? Sorry...I'm in the process of buying a home and it infuriates me that seller and buyer agents each steal 3% of the cost of the home.
  • Options
    shades80shades80 Member Posts: 53
    I sat in the car sunday at dealer..prev impressions were guarded..to cts-oh those lights..why?...back lights-to big...this car never looked stunning in pics...well...forgetaboutit..this car is georgeous...would have bought it if available..has all the stricking elements i consider essential in a sports sedan...the hood scoops are perfect..the lights look aggressive..back end is classy and the side view is impressive-passat like...plus rwd, 260hp,vdc, aluminum suspension, 50/50 weight, starting at $27,100...the only decision i have is to wait for the coupe or buy the 4 door.
    ps-saw the cts as well...they built that from scratch? that was the design that got the green light?
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    "I agree, however you must consider that the G35 is aimed squarely at car nuts like us. It would be a shame for one to end up in less capable hands, no?"

Oh yes, THAT would be indisputably true;-)
  • Options
    Based on MAYBEG35's really nice pics I edited the rear end do you like this one metmdx....personally I think it makes it blander...

• Options
    pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    The way I see it is that people who saw the car in person @ a car show love it and those who are complaining about the rear end are basing it on pictures they have seen. I say just wait until you see the car first hand and then make your decision.

The only people who should be complaining are those with overpriced (sometimes underpowered) BMWs, MBs, Audis and Lexuses as you pass by them :-)
  • Options
    It's true, the final verdict has to await seeing it in person.

-juice
  • Options
    The Z car is a car built for enthusiasts. G35 is ment more for the masses. Yes it's sporty and has rwd but it's more of a cruiser. Just think of it as a small Q45 but faster. The added weight from all those Items plus the options available justifies it a something for those who want luxury but the car definetly has it's sporty side.

An automaker concentrating heavily on creating an enthusiast car would concentrate on performance and would not have to many available options not geared towards performance.

G35 couped is geared more towards car enthusiasts.

And when GT-R comes here as an Infiniti. Oh Yeah, Definetly for Car Enthusiasts.
  • Options
    Everyone who says "everybody think the rear is ugly" has taken an edmunds.com poll of votes.

Those who think it's ugly is probably a small portion compared to those who like it. This could be quite possibly true.
  • Options
    I like the rear-end of the G35, but I am so glad to hear that so many people hate the rear-end enough that they probably will not be buying this car. This is awesome news!! This means that the market demand will be much less which translates into a lower purchase price for me from the dealer. Woo-hoo!!! I really don't care if no one else on the planet liked it or not. The only one that has to like it is me since I'm the one putting down my hard-earned cash for it. In fact, I wish I was the only one interested in this car so that I can get it for well under invoice.

People who buy cars to impress other people are people who buy status symbols, e.g., MBs, Rolexes, etc. I'm definitely not one of these people. As long as I like the way a car looks and drives that's all that matters to me. It doesn't matter at all to me what other people think. I'm the one that has to look at it and drive it everyday. I pity those who buy cars based on other people's opinions.
  • Options
  • Options
    mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    I like the rear end of the car. The large tail lights give it a stricking look without being a gimicky clear lens jobs like the lexus.

Edmunds just has issues, they have never seen an Infiniti or Jaguar that they liked. The reviewers writing are people who could not get a job in real automotive journalism, so I tend to discount anything they have to say.
  • Options
    Some enthusiasts have kids, and are forced to be practical. The G35 is the car for us. The I35 is their car for the masses.

I see the 4 photos and have these reactions:

1: Nice, even if the headlights look like eye lids pulled back a little.

2: Very nice. Profile is its best angle.

3: Again very nice. Look at those rims and rotors!

4: Uh, let's just focus on the first three! At least the red hides the tail lights somewhat.

-juice
  • Options
    maybeg35, very nice photos! This car looks like it also has the Sports Pkg. with the 5-spoke wheels. Did you take these photos? Which show was this? I thought there was only a silver and a black one making the show circuits. Do you know if anyone has a photo of a Twilight Blue or Desert Platinum car?
  • Options
    gandhim3gandhim3 Member Posts: 191
    Good to see some larger picks in colors other than the silver. I think this car looks much better in darker colors then the lighter ones.

I am loking forward to seeing it in twilight blue color. Already have two cars in the red color shown above - I plan on getting it in blue with the six-speed. Will have paid off my existing ride by the time the manual version is released.
This discussion has been closed.