Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Meet the Members

Comments

• y2kgmcy2kgmc Posts: 23
    Hi, I'm Ed 2001 Silverado Ext. cab 2500HD LS 6.0 4.10 posi Indigo Blue with Ryanflares. had a 2000 GMC Sierra 4.8 that was POS.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    haha ryanflares NICE

sounds like a nice truck
  • Brand new to the Silverado--Just purchased 02 Chev 3500 CC; Lt, 8.1/allison;dually;pewter--only 200 miles on it--hope everything stays straight with this truck.
    Plan on puting Lance camper on it in a couple of months--time to roam the USA--
    Stay Safe---
    grumpy
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    Did you recently purchase or lease your first full-size pick-up truck? If so, The Wall Street Journal is curious about your experience with it, especially if you traded in a car for the truck. Please send your story directly to jfallon@edmunds.com. Please include the model truck you drive, your city and state of residence, and your e-mail address.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• boat10boat10 Posts: 59
    Purchased new '02 LS Silverado, 2wd, short box yesterday. Summit white, grey interior, 342 rear end, heavy duty suspension(X85), 255\70r16 tires, deep tinted glass, 4800 v8, automatic, and Aluminum wheels. Got terrific rebate. Listed for $24,489. Paid $18,300 out the door. Truck was only 9 days old. Had a '00 Buick Park Avenue on lease, GM PULL AHEAD program done it for me. I also have a '02 LT Trailblazer loaded (now belongs to the wife), she is much happier with the Trailblazer. All is HAPPY at my house now!!!!
  • seaboseabo Posts: 3
    1 very unhappy silverado owner. Please check out my homepage @
    hometown@aol.com/seabo/myhomepage/auto.html
  • Hello, my name is DannyJ and I'm new to edumds.com. I posted a message this morning, #2483. I hope to get a response soon. I signed on two weeks ago and have been reading everything I could about the Silverado. I've learned a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
  • Back to edmunds. Used to be here, left for a while, now Im back. Good to read info on silverados. Work in Automotive parts supply base. Also from NE Ohio. Waiting to see info on 4 dr on the true half ton platform.

cwillisj- what part of NE Ohio??
  • I just purchased a new 1500 ext cab, and I am already having issues with terrible wind and road noise on the driver side only. If you sit on the passenger side, it rides like a quiet baby, if you are on the driver's side, you can hear cars coming up from behind you two car legths back! Very frustrating and aggravating...does anyone have any ideas????

Also, does anyone notice that when you open the glove box the first time after starting the engine, your cargo light indicator goes on!!! What is up with that??? Distracting to say the least! I tried this in two different ones with the same results...ideas???? flaw???
  • First- check to make sure the rear door is latched firm. With the door closed, pull back and forth and see it it moves. If the door is not latched firmly with no movement you will get the wind noise even with the front door closed. The ext cab rear doors can be difficult to get completely latched, especially if it is cold. GM knows about the hard latch issue and has a repair procedure. A GM dealer should be able to tell you all about it if the problem continues. If this is not the problem check on the weather seals. make sure that they are in place and not out of position. GM is also famous for having weather seals that fall out, especially the one at the top of the drivers door.

Went out to my truck and opened the glove box. My cargo light did not come on. Do not have advise on that one. GO to the silverado/gmc hangout and post there. obyone may have an answer.
  • lrymallrymal Posts: 105
    My 2003 Silverado has no wind or road noise coming through any of the doors. I agree with bowtieman that the extended cab door on that truck's driver side is not completely closed, thus allowing noise entry.

I also checked for the cargo indicator lamp coming on when the glove box door was opened. Nope, didn't come on.
  • I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 Liter V8 engine. It has 21,000 miles and is still under warranty,

I have recently noticed a valve knock / lifter noise that lasts about 5 to 10 seconds when I start it up cold.

I have mentioned this to my chevy dealer and was told that this is normal during cold starts and not to be concerned as it takes a few seconds
    for the oil to distribute.

I understand this, but to me this "metal on metal " noise sounds bad and I am concerned that it could lead to future problems after my warranty runs out.

Am I being too fussy and paranoid or do I have a legitimate concern ?
    Is there something that can be done ?
    Should I also document when I discussed this with my dealer ?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Am I being too fussy and paranoid or do I have a legitimate concern ? You have a legitimate concern.

Is there something that can be done ? Have the dealer document in writing that the cold start knock condition exists on your truck in case you do have future problems or GM comes out with a fix outside of your warranty period.

Should I also document when I discussed this with my dealer ? Absolutely, more details the better.
  • texsuntexsun Posts: 23
    Like #7, not a Silverado owner, but have been and would again if they change the front end....

I've been reading posts on the site since mid '98 while considering buying a 99 model.

Traded in a '97 'Rado, 2WD, EC, 4.6L, auto. Had the rear end seepage, dealer replaced rear end; tranny catastrophic failure at 48,000 - new tranny, traded in at 54,000 for a '99 GMC Sierra SLT 3 dr Ext Cab, C1500, loaded, 5.3L, 4sp auto, 3.42. Daughter now owns it and it's running great at 68,000 miles with no problems. And it has had the engine chatter since the first oil change.

Waited a year after the crew cabs came out to read the reviews, then went looking for a crew cab. Would have bought 'Rado or Sierra, but found the Sierra with the specs I wanted, an '02 GMC SLT 1500HD 2WD, loaded, 6.0, auto, 3.73 with rear locker - in white with neutral leather interior.

Pretty much stock except for installing the K&N Generation II FIPK. I've noticed 1-2 mpg improvement, but the HP gain was phenomenal. I average 13-15 city/14-16 hwy. When towing a 4400 lb Trail-lite, drops to 12-14 hwy. Next project later this month is to install Flowmaster 70 series duals, then I'll work on dressing it up.

Have had the engine chatter since first oil change. Hasn't affected performance, so I just keep reporting it at each service. And the front-end knock during hard right/left turns when parking. Lube normally fixes it. Currently at 25,000 and rolling strong.

See you on the boards. Bud
  • Looking at a 2000 1500 LT Ext Cab Short Bed,5.3 V8, Z71 suspension, 4.10 Rear axle, K&N Air filter, Jet Black, Leather Heated Seats.

The thing drives great but what kind of gas mileage should I expect? Should I be aware of any possible problems??

Thanks in Advance.

Hopster1
  • dustyonedustyone Posts: 262
    That is my truck except in white and has 3.73 rear. My mileage over 36k miles has ranged from 10 mpg to 18 mpg. Love the power.. No trouble except a bad plug fixed under warranty at 3k miles. Others have reported various problems with 2WD versions.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    I have the same set up as that truck including the K&N air filter, but my truck has the 3.73 locker in the rear. So far with probably about 75% hiway driving i average somewhere between about 15-17.
  • Hello everybody. I have followed the discussion for a while and found everyone really helpful when "issues" with my truck occur.

2000 Silverado ex. cab Z71 5.3(what an engine!) Black/Grey....getting larger tires in a couple of weeks.
  • due39due39 Posts: 8
    Hi, I am Duey from Montana. Just got a 1999 Silverado. Charcoal Grey, X Cab, Short Box 4x4 and 5.3 engine. I just love the truck. Drives great, great power. great looking. I had a 1991 Nissan Pickup, Nissan was OK around town, but stinks on the highway. Only one thing I have, When driving on a rough road I can hear a rattle, sounds like it's coming from the front wheel, if I step on the brake a little, it seems to go away. Could something be loose in the front Brake caliper?? Thanks if anyone can help.Thanks Duey
  • My name is Pete. I live in the woods of northern Vermont with my wife, five golden retrievers, a small flock of sheep and several chickens. My 02 Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4 sees hard work hauling firewood, hay, animals, compost...and plowing snow in the winter months. Aside from installing the plow and a better set of shocks with timbrens, my Chevy is stock. Great ride, great handling on our bumpy dirt roads, and so far I haven't found a chore it couldn't handle.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Posts: 203
    I have '99 x cab 5.3 been around since late '98.
    Truck has been good other than a few recall items(antilock brakes,fuel pump,window operator. After 5 years the 5.3l has been good for me 16mpg avg. Glad I got one with two power buckets.
  • I've been on Edmunds for a while now, but just bought my first Silverado in October. I've been through all the topics I can find on it since then, and thought I'd better say "Hi".

2004 5.3l Silverado Z-71 extended cab,Arrival Blue, black flares / body moldings, auto climate control, onstar, XM, tow kit, 3.73 / locker, Rhinoliner bedliner, Wade bedrail covers, bugflector II bug shield.

I plan to add stainless tube steps, GM hard folding tonneau, and in-channel window visors sometime next spring, but otherwise gonna keep 'er stock.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Congrats on the new truck!!
  • mickomicko Posts: 5
    Anyone have any comments about a 94 chevy 1500 Diesel?
    anyone ever owned one of these?
    Just looking for some feedback, good or bad, as I am considering the purchase from my pop.

Mick O.
    Does anyone have any comments? It's a 94.
    Does anyone have any experience with these? What's your feedback Please?
  • Sorry micko, no experience with the early-mid 90's diesels. All of my family has tended to own 1/2 ton gassers. (including a '72 K1500 standard cab longbox, a '77 Cheyenne standard cab longbox, an '89 1500 standard cab longbox, a '92 1500 standard cab longbox, '97 extended cab shortbox Z-71, a '98 regular cab shortbox Z-71, and now two '04 extended cab shortbox Z-71's. Ask about some of those models, and I'll have some input... yup. My family loves them Chevy's! :D)
This discussion has been closed.