Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 Owners

Comments

• eddie6eddie6 Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if anyone out there is having as much problems with their 2001 chevy 4x4 truck as me?? Here is a list of things wrong that had to be fixed. First of all I want to tell you that the truck is a "2001" with only has 38,000 miles. This past week I had to replace the whole ignition system. It started with the message center displaying the word Security. The dealership told me I had to replace it at a cost of $350.00. I also had the following problems with the truck. ABS sensors had to be replaced. The bottom quarter panels had to be repainted due to the paint bubbling on the inside of the door. I think I have a lemon for a truck. Thank God I only have 10 more months on the lease. This will be my last Chevy Truck. Please e-mail me if you had the following problems with your Chevy truck or are considering purchasing a Chevy truck. I would like to hear from you.
  • nicoleb2021nicoleb2021 Member Posts: 3
    We are having the same problem! We've taken it in 2 times already and called the complaint line all they do is tell us it's normal. GM sent us a letter telling us they will extend the warranty on the transmission for 80 thousand miles well that is just not good enough. We will not be happy until they buy the truck back. When your paying $579 a month you don't expect to have these problems. And GM has done a horrible job at helping us with this matter. We've now hired a lawyer. I will keep you posted on what happens.

You quoted something out of a memo they sent out they also say in that memo that dealerships are discouraged from trying to fix the problem. And that the problem will not effect durability or preformace as far as I know only 2003-2004 models are having this problem how do they know it will not effect anything??
    isn't it to soon to make they kind of statement?
    Nicole
    nicoleberger@iglide.net
  • king3king3 Member Posts: 1
    i just wanted to say that I have a 2000 silverado and the only problem I've had is a dead fuel pump.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Good luck! I hope you make the 300,000 miles. The only vehicle I have ever owned that reached the 300,000 mile mark (301,055 miles,original engine) was a GM product, my 1968 Pontiac LeMans bought new. Oops, I've revealed my age.
  • bfelix95chevybfelix95chevy Member Posts: 1
    Ok the first thing you need to do is to remove the distributor. Then you need to pull the spark plug on the #1 cylinder, which is the cylinder all the way at the front and on the right when you are looking at the grill. Now you need to bump the ignition so that you are turning the motor over a little bit at a time. Get the #1 cylinder to top dead center. You find that by bumping the motor and feeling in the spark plug hole for the cylinder. Once the cylinder is at the top of its stroke, leave it there (it might take a couple times to get this just right, be patient.) Then you need to figure out which tab on the distributor cap is the #1. Then mark it on the distributor. Then just slide the distributor in and make it to were the rotor lines up with your mark (this will also take a couple times.) That will get you pretty close. Then just try to fire it up, and you will probably have to mess with your timing while its cranking over. Once you get it running, just time it to the factory specs, which are on the white sticker on your radiator shroud. I think it 4 degrees advance but not for sure. It's more of an art than a science to get it running the first time. Good luck and I hope I was of some help.
  • kcarter3kcarter3 Member Posts: 16
    I like the look of th bf goodrich a/t has anyone used them?
  • country00country00 Member Posts: 5
    :confuse: Need some help... I am getting ready to buy some new tires for my 01 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD. Right now I have 235/75R16 (stock size). I would like to increase the height and width a little to get rid of some of the empty wheel well look and add a little meatier look. One place told me I could put on 265/70R16 and others have told me the only alternate for this truck is the 255/70R16.
    Thanks
  • vortec327vortec327 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 02 silverado ext cab 2wd with 285-60r16 goodyear eagle gt2's and they look awsome, very sporty and awsome handling. bf goodrich is the only other company to make this size.
  • vortec327vortec327 Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know of any mechanics or perfomance shops in the northeast that specialize in silverados, i need someone who really knows their stuff and is determined in doing top notch work. any help would be appreciated.
  • makoltdmakoltd Member Posts: 3
    Hey Muffler m8,, Gibson is the most restrictive system that I have had in my 120k of oqnership. I have DT Shorties after trying Gibson and Borla Headers, Both leaked badly. The Gibson Mufflers are not HP friendly. You would do better getting a 2 Chamber Dyna or Flow system. Just try and get more input before buying that Gibson System.. I hated mine... GL m8 :)
  • makoltdmakoltd Member Posts: 3
    REAR WINDOW SCREAM - I hate it. My 2000 15 Z71 has the Pop Outs and they are $250-$325 each to replace. I am going to replace or ADD more rubber but the noise is unreal.. Tell us what works short of replacing them
    ThanX m8 :)
  • dt369dt369 Member Posts: 2
    i do not have an owners manual for my 2000 chevy silverado extended cab with the Z-71 package. i can not figure out how to turn off the change engine oil light and i would love some help on this. please let me know if you have any advice. i have tried turning the ignition to accessories and pushing the break pedal several times, but it has not worked. thank you.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    turn on acc and push the GAS pedal 4 or 5 times. I used to depress mine 6 just to make sure.... :)
    The sliding rear window was a joke on the '99-'00 Silverado and Sierra. So much so that GM discontinued them and it was a point that Ford owners made that the body/frame of the truck flexed soooo much causing the rear window problems. Course the Ford guys didn't know how close they were to the truth. It follows as to why GM was the last truck to offer four doors on their extended cabs beginning the first quarter of '00. The couldn't figure how to limit the cab flex that would be caused by the fourth door.

If I rememebr correctly, current owners at the time were going with an aftermarket rear window as the solution.
  • dt369dt369 Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the chevy silverado scene. I purchased my 2000 Chevy Z-71 silverado in March. Before this I was a Ford owner. Since purchasing my new truck, i have noticed a knocking in the engine when first started. I believe it to be a lifter knocking, but since I dont know all the ins and outs of Chevy's, it makes me worry that something is wrong with the truck. Is this a problem that i need to get looked at, or is this typical for chevy trucks?
    it is normal for these trucks and won't have any longevity issues.
  • dano6dano6 Member Posts: 1
    Turn on the ignition, but don't start it. Push the gas pedal to the floor 3 times.
    Turn off the key and your good to go. Regards, Dan O
  • doublelldoublell Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a nice 96' 1500 ext- cab Z-71( black w/ grey int) 85K org miles.As this my first Chevy truck in a while, I wondering what factory later model 6 lug rims (16"17" etc) will fit my truck? Suburban, avalanche, yukon, escalade? Any input would be appreciated....Doublell
  • willwilcowillwilco Member Posts: 2
    Is there a board for Z71 owners? I wa unable to find one myself?

Thanks!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    There isn't one specifically for Z71, but you might find a lot of them over in Owners Hangout in Pickups.
  • k5qmk5qm Member Posts: 7
    My 2005 Silverado 1500 has a 4.3 engine with a 4 speed automatic transmission. With cruise engaged and climbing hills the transmission downshifts into 3rd for about a second and a half then goes to second . At this time the engine rpm goes from 1800 to 4500 rpm. Not a good situation on wet surface. Chevy dealer tells me that chevy has had this problem since 2001 and refuses to fix it. I contacted customer support and they could care less, no problem as far as they are concerned. Does anyone know how to solve this problem short of a different brand?
    k5qm@sbcglobal.net
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I hope I don't offend you when I say this, but here goes:

Don't use cruise control when driving on wet surfaces. I'm not trying to say that the downshifting when in cruise isn't a problem (both of my current Chevy's- one's a truck, the other a newer model car, do the same). Just that I've always been taught that using cruise in heavy traffic or poor weather was a recipe for disaster.
    When your trucks down shift how long do they stay in 3 rd gear before going to second and what year are they?
    Jerry
    About a second and half and I don't practice using cruise in slick conditions if i know they are there, but I have hit slick spots from blowing sand or something spilled. In Oklahoma you might find any road condition without warning. Last Thursday I was in OK City and there were areas where it had rained very hard and it cut off like a wall was there.
    I have contacted GM Customer relations (real joke) then I contacted the office of the CEO for CM Auto division. Should hear from them next week. If everyone with these problems would stay on GM's case the problem would get fixed. What make car do you have that is doing this. Our dealer led me to believe that the a problem with 2001 - 2005 trucks with 4.3 engine with auto transmission.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    I bought a set of 20 inch wheels with 305/50/20 Proxes for my 05 Tahoe. ( I also have a 1500 Silverado ). I find the ride kills me on the Tahoe ,not at all what I expected. Anyway I am considering installing them on the Silverado rather than writing them off altogether. The question is will they fit since the Tahoe seems to have more room for that size( 32"tall by 12" wide) and has anyone had experience with that combo on a Silverado? Thanks :cry:
    I have a friend who is the Chevy service manager where I bought mine and he put some larger tires on his truck and of course the speedometer was off and he couldn't get information from GM as how to reprogram his computer for the larger tires. He had to buy an aftermarket computer or chip, not sure which, but he said it cost him about $500 to get the problem solved. Sure don't get the support from GM like I did in '58 when I switched to GM. Good luck.
    Jerry
    PS:I would be glad to get you the accurate info from him if it would help.
    I don't know for certain that what you're experiencing is exactly the same as what mine are doing, but it does sound similar.

I haven't timed this behavior before, but that sounds about right (when in cruise). The worst part is that the downshifts are harsh compared to the way the transmissions downshift when not in cruise. Downshifts when not in cruise are relatively smooth, and you can tell that the torque converter is doing its bit first (unlocking, etc. before the shift, resulting in a much more gradual increase in rpms). In cruise the transmission acts as if it skips unlocking the torque converter in favor of immediate downshifts instead, resulting in a major jump in rpms and a hard bump or lurching feel as the lower gears engage.

Anyway, if your situation is something specific to your tranny / engine combination, I wish you luck getting the situation taken care of.
    It is just as you described it. Transmission and engine work fine when cruise is disabled. Didn't hear from GM today.
    As far as I can tell it's "normal" for GM vehicles with the electronic throttle control (aka throttle by wire). Another quirk that's related is that on certain downhill grades the truck feels like it's coasting to just above the set cruise speed then slowing then coasting, and so on (kind of feels like a boat on choppy water). Anyway, we first noticed the hard downshift issue with our 2004 Malibu. It's been mentioned several times on the boards for those vehicles in these forums too. GM issued an updated PCM for the cars that supposedly helps, but ours still does it even after our dealership reprogrammed the car, so I've just decided to live with it for now. In the meantime I just kick off cruise any time I notice either of our vehicles doing a hard downshift and wait until I'm on a more level stretch of road. (Ours mostly does it on hills)
  • swebersweber Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I have a 2000 1500 and just recently, while towing my boat, noticed the trailer running lights were no longer working. Walk around reveled the truck's daytime lights were no longer on either. All other lights, turn signals, brake light, etc. still work fine. Only the two front, white daytime lights and the trailer running lights. With no trailer lights connected, the daytime lights still do not come on.
    I suspected a blown fuse but all test good. There is one relay on the fuse panel that I suspect as the daytime lights normally come on with a click when the emergency brake is released. Now there is no click.
    Does anyone have any info on the relay functions on the fuse panel, or any other ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Steve
    `I took a 120 mile trip today to get a bed liner installed .All the way to the other town I experienced the same old shifting problem. I got the liner installed and returned home. There was not one rough down shift. It would downshift smoothly and the rpm would go from 1800 to 2200 rpm. The cruise control maintained proper speed. Guess I should have gotten a bed liner sooner. Will give a report in a couple weeks or so.
  • lewman63lewman63 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, have a question, 2004 chevy 1500 z71, why is the dash language in french, cannot for the life of me figure out how to change it to english...thanks
  • lando2000lando2000 Member Posts: 6
    I Just bought one off of ebay for my 2000Silverado 4X4 ext cab. Any opinions ? Suggestions?

Nathan
  • easygoingeasygoing Member Posts: 1
    Hi there
    Is anyone out there familiar with the Cruise control on the 95 Chev Silverado.
    Mine died on me last week and I was wondering if a person can test for whether the cruise control unit is fried or if there is a disconnect somewhere in the wiring?
    Thanks
  • litew8tlitew8t Member Posts: 4
    I have the option to buy the extended warranty on my 2003 silverado. We bought it in april as a leased buy back vehicle. Any thoughts ? Are the Chev warranties good? This is our 1st chevy truck :)
  • trophyfishntrophyfishn Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2005 silverado 1500 5.3L crew cab LS. Just wanted to let anyone know who is having a popping noise of some sort inside the cab that sounds like it's coming from the AC vent area under the dash but behind the ash tray or glove box. That general area, hard to say exactly. The noise is really annoying and sounds like something is loose withe the vent or dash itself.

Just back back from the chevy dealer and they fixed it so far anyway. It's a D4707 Module or assembly, hvac control head reprogram that was needed according to their receipt. Further explanation is 3L A/C actuators out of calibration, left temp clicking -Chk A/C data with tech 2 and recalibrate A/C controls actuator ok at this time. 0.4 hrs.

I searched on the internet and apparently other cars not just GM uses this type of programmable actuator/controller for the AC. Must have been a tolerance issue wiht the software.

The silverado has about 4200 miles on it. Bought in april 05.

Best gas mileage I've seen is about 19mpg although the sticker says 20 is the highway mileage. Most of the time it is 16 or 17 for around town.

I tow a 23 ft twin outboard offshore boat, twin axle trailer. Probably over 5,000 lbs No problems there. I like the suspension a lot better than the smooth ride suspension on the 4.8 L truck but I still think the suspension could be firmer with better shocks and springs.

I know the difference considering I drove an 02 vette with the z51 suspension package for 1.5 yrs. I don't think there's a better suspension out there. The truck is a bit too soft although the HD suspension in the crew cab is better than the smooth ride suspension. I still believe it could use improvement particularly if you tow anything. Occasionally the truck can get into a harmonic when towing on the front suspension that causes the nose to bounce going over hills. Not what I would prefer. Stronger dampening rates and springs would probably help a lot.

Anyone know of any after market stuff to help out the bouncy-ness of the 1500 suspension (I've got the heavy duty suspension but not the HD truck). :shades:
  • dcates2dcates2 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased an 05 Crew Cab LS this April, I have had problems with the front-end suspension as well. The A/C has not had a clicking sound but rather a gurgle that is constant. "GM" said the gurgle is normal. ??? the bouncing of the front end on bridges is with or without a trailer. I have also noticed that the front end has a "jolting" feeling over "any" irregularity in the road. I drove an 04 Crew Cab from East Texas to Wisconsin & back last year and never noticed anything close to this action. It drives more like a 60s model 5 ton front-end not a $30K, 1/2 ton truck. After the dealer tried to fix another like truck with the same problem (with no improvement) GM called and told me this is normal for this truck & "Your Case is closed" ! :confuse: :mad:
  • dcates2dcates2 Member Posts: 4
    My 05 Crew Cab truck has front suspension problems and A/C problems. GM refuses to fix it. I have filed with the BBB but they are very limited in what they can do to help. Everyone needs to speak up if they have a problem. GM has a really bad attitude They just told me "to bad" . what is the number for the CEO?
  • the_minist3rthe_minist3r Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know how to indentify the air injection manifold on a 2005 w/ the 4.3L im looking to buy some headers only problem is i know i dont have egr but not sure if i have air inj manifold. dont think i do but not sure. plz help. :confuse:
  • m_boisem_boise Member Posts: 12
    I too have the AC problem. 2005 Crew Cab LS Z71 5.3 V8. It is a constant hissing/gurgling and is easier heard when the AC is at 1 or 2. The sound continues for some time after turning AC off and even after the engine is turned off. I have heard similar sounds in other vehicles, but this is very noticable and loud. I've had people ask what was wrong because it was so annoying. Usually I just turn up the radio or the AC to 3 or 4 and I can drown the noise out. Other than that, I love the truck. It rides great--no suspension problems. Added a flowmaster and opened up some of the restricted horses. Sounds great and better mileage!
  • gr8lake5gr8lake5 Member Posts: 2
    thinking of switching out my regular 05 silverado 1500 z71 cluster for a ss silverado cluster, anything i need to do first other than have the miles put on it?
    nope...well maybe double check the pins to make sure they match.
  • gr8lake5gr8lake5 Member Posts: 2
    thank you obyone...sure appreciate it!
  • dcatesdcates Member Posts: 1
    I NEED HELP! I have gone through all the proper channels to try to get the problem with the front suspension and the AC gurgle fixed on my 2005 Crew cab. I filed with the BBB and they sent an expert..... ha ha.. to test drive it. The kid could not find the office with directions, an address and a GPS. Then he calls several times trying to find me. He got there at Noon. Our town at noon is traffic gridlock. He drove it 16 miles down a freshly paved road and came back with a report that he did not notice any problem. And oddly enough his report used very simular wording as GM. I have been driving longer than he has been alive. He had no idea what Kinetic or dynamic harmonics was. So now I have to go to arbitration against GM Lawyers and they are going to use this report to tell me that I am imagining this problem. I need anyone that has had this trouble to reply.... please.. I know it is not normal for a 1/2 ton truck to ride like this. I know I am not the only one that can hear the AC gurgle. I have been pushed aside, Right are wrong you do not question the big spenders. I seem to be the only one here willing to stand for what I know is right. I have heard from others but they will not file.
  • kcarter3kcarter3 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone have photots of a larger size tire on your Silverado 2004 z71? I am trying to determine a better looking tire size.
  • mrdatabasemrdatabase Member Posts: 1
    :sick:
    My silverado is just out of warranty. It rained all day on it yesterday, now it won't start!
    I have the hood opened trying to dry it out.

Any suggestions???? :confuse: :sick: ">
    You can't get to the CEO. I have a problem with my 2005 and was told to live with it by the CEO's secretary (Ms Johnson). I sent a certified complaint letter to the CEO and some dud in the mail room signed for it and Ms Johnson replied to it and told me if I wasn't happy with their help I could sue. GENERAL MOTORS COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS.
  • carguy67carguy67 Member Posts: 4
    Page 3-64 regarding the Driver Info Center (DIC) in the manual states:
    Display Language
    To select your personalization for display language,
    press the select button while DISPLAY LANGUAGE is
    displayed on the DIC. Pressing the select button
    will scroll through the following languages:
    • English
    • French
    • Spanish
    3-64
    Choose one of the three options and press the
    personalization button while it is displayed on the DIC to
    select it.
    If you accidentally choose a language that you don’t
    want or understand, press and hold the personalization
    button and the trip information button at the same
    time. The DIC will begin scrolling through the languages
    in their particular language. English will be in English,
    French will be in French and so on. When you see
    the language that you would like, release both buttons.
    The DIC will then display the information in the
    language you chose.
    You can also scroll through the different languages by
    pressing and holding the trip reset stem for four
    seconds, as long as you are in the odometer mode.

Does this help?
    What exactly are your problems? The dealerships make money when they can perform repairs. It is unusual for someone to "refuse to repair" a problem that is making the vehicle not run or drive or such. Please describe the problems, and what has been diagnosed?
    The sound from the AC can be an issue for some folks. Please bear in mind that the factory could certainly add more insulation or heavier materials, but this adds to the price and the weight, which are prime considerations. It is hard to make a vehicle be all things - sometimes, certain compromises must be made.