Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 Owners

Comments

• bud350bud350 Posts: 1
    I went to buy a serpentine belt and was asked if I had a 105 amp altenator or a 130 amp. How do I find this out.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    It is difficult to determine what you have unless you remove the alternator. It may have a sticker on it with the amp rating. The best solution is to take your old belt in to match it up with the new belt. The reason why they ask about your alternator size is that the 130 amp model has probably a different size pulley on it. So the belt will be slightly larger or smaller.
  • rizriz Posts: 1
    I was wondering if any one has had experience w/ a superchip hand held programmer. I own a 04' chevy silverado k1500 z71 v-8 5300 vortec and am thinking about buying one but would like some feedback if any body has used this product or similiar. Also any suggestion on setting as in the summer time I haul a 5k trailer, something to improve mileage or horsepower or any of the settings on the programmer.
  • nozrydr1nozrydr1 Posts: 4
    I have an 03 Silverado 1500 HD 4x4 (short bed, crew cab) That I bought new. Question: Near where I live the is a 10 mile stretch of freeway that appears fairly smooth, but my truck starts bouncing very hard (feels like the rear wheels leave the road) and will not stop until I'm passed that area. I've driven that stretch for over 20 years in many other trucks and cars and never had that problem until I got the 03HD. I've talked with 3 other owners of the 1500 HD and they all have the same problem on that same strip of freeway. any ideas of how to stop or lessen some of the bounce? (without putting on a camper or bags is sand in the bed)Thanks,
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    try doing a google for velvet ride shackles
  • i have a 2000 silverado z71 1500 4wd long bed extended cab.it has 98000 mile on it :confuse: i took off and it jerked and popped real loud, and it started making a grinding noise like metal dragging across pavement. i can put it in gear and put in 4wd drive high or 4wd low it does not make the noise and it can drive it around in my yard. but if i put in 4wd auto or 2 wd it makes the noise and it won't move. someone told me it is the transmission but my drive shaft turns when it is in gear, and the transmission changed gears perfect before this. i took the plate off the rear end and there was some metal in the bottom but i didn't see any broken or messed up gears. can anyone tell me whats wrong and if any one else has had this problem
  • kkeeferkkeefer Posts: 1
    Hi Im Kent- I own a '91 Silverado, 1/2 ton, 5.7 ltr.(350)
    I want to rebuild the engine. I'm also planning to replace the rear-end gears to be quicker off the line. Here's my question, What order should I do the rebuild? Should I do the rear-end before I replace the cam because it affects the rpms? Im also replacing the intake manifold and ignition. I need tips! email me at kent@isp.com
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Try this. Go to Walmart and buy fifteen (15) 40 lb plastic bag of top soil (about $1/bag). Evenly spread the bags in the bed of your truck. Your ride should improve considerably. The empty truck bounces because the rear springs are very stiff and that road section probably has small ripples in the surface.

If this helps, leave the bags in the bed. You can use some of them aslo to secure long cargo - pipes, long boards by placing them on top.
  • stobarstobar Posts: 110
    I own a 2002 Silverado 1500 LS, 5.3 V8 with 45,000 miles and have noticed the following problems within the last couple of months. I was hoping that someone familiar with these issues or have had the same problems might be able to assist. They are:
    1. Low Coolant light comes on. When checking the reservoir, it only appears to be down about 1/2". I purchased a gallon of the pre-mixed Dex Cool to use to top off, but still can't figure out if there is a leak, or if it's something worse.
    2. Low Washer Fluid. I believe I might have a leak in one of the seams of the white plastic bottle. When I got underneath the truck, the bottom of the bottle was wet, but I couldn't pinpoint a leak.
    3. Gear Indicator. When the truck is warmed up (usually after I have been driving it for about 1/2 hour), and I shift from drive to reverse, the gear indicator on the dash will sometimes remain in drive, then move to reverse. When I shift to Park, the gear indicator will either show the vehicle as being in "R", or sometimes moves back to "Drive". Although the vehicle is actually in Park, the gear indicator is showing as being in another gear but will not allow the doors to unlock automatically as it's supposed to do when it is put in Park.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
  • arthurjarthurj Posts: 2
    i have a 2002 silve 1500 that had a ratteling over the steering when it was new. later i found that the rattling was in the steering. the dealer replaced the steering colum and the noise continued.i have 45k miles now and the steering feels like it is coming apart. i will continue to drive it until it break and we will be able to find the problem.
  • arthurjarthurj Posts: 2
    i am having the same problem with my 2002 silverado ext cab 1500 Z71. i have 46k miles. the problem started at about 15k. the noise seems to be getting worse but it is still working.
  • I'm Looking at getting new tires for my 2003 1500HD and was looking at the BF goodrich 285 All Terrains, I want my truck to sit up a little higher than it does now, I still have factory tires on it. But I'm not looking to put any type of lift kit on. Hoping bigger tires and jacking up the tortion bars will help some. Any feedback is great!!
  • nozrydr1nozrydr1 Posts: 4
    My guess would be no. not without a lift kit. I have BFG 265/75/16 on my 1500 HD and I had to cut out a small section of the air dam Left side, because the L/F tire would rub while I was backing up and turning right, so If a 265 rubs, you could bet that a 285 would rub a lot.
  • sdicksonsdickson Posts: 2
    I own a 1997 5.7 silverado 1500. I need exhuast help. I want to replace my flowmaster 70 series. I want my truck to be LOUD and aggressive, but i want it to sound smooth (and of course, good horsepower and torque increase). Any Suggestions?
  • socaljoesocaljoe Posts: 6
    I have a Bassani cat-back exhaust on my 03 silverado. It sounds really good and improved the low end power. Here's a link bassani
  • davidjsdavidjs Posts: 1
    I have the same problem you are having. Did you ever find out how to fix your problem?
  • sdicksonsdickson Posts: 2
    what would give me more horsepower? split dual exhaust with two separate mufflers, split dual exhaust with one muffler, or single exhaust?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    That would depend on the size of the pipes. Too big and no back pressure equals one slug of a truck
  • bobewingbobewing Posts: 2
    The 105 amp alternator should be a Delco Remy and the 130 amp alternator should be a Bosch.
  • danking27danking27 Posts: 2
    I got a z71 1500 and Im thinking to do the 6inch suspension w/ a 3 inch body...but Ive been advised not to go with a body lift...I did a 6inch suspension with my old truck and worked out beatifully, not a single problem. but now I wanna go 9 inches without damaging my truck. what are the pros/cons. Maybe I can possibly just go with a 9inch suspension. I'm really not to sure how I can do this and have a suspension ride...If I insert the body lift, will it stiffin the ride up alot? thanks
  • wdpwdp Posts: 9
    I have a 1993 silverado 1500 4x4. It recently stopped going into 4-wheel drive. I can shift like normal but it is not actually engaging. I was told that it was the 4-wheel drive sensor that is gone. What does this sensor do and where is it located?
  • ccobbccobb Posts: 1
    I have two 1999 Silverados one a 1500 with a 5.3L and the other a 2500 with the 6.0L. The exhaust manifold bolts on the left and right banks are broken off. The Chevy dealer charges over $450/labor plus parts on each bank provided that they dont have to pull the head off. I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. if you have, notify Chevrolet in Detroit (1-800-222-1020) because this should be a recall but Chevrolet is playing it down like it is not a problem, and i know for a fact that there are more trucks with this problem than mine. Here are the steps to Customer service:

STEP ONE -- Discuss your concern with a member of dealership management. Normally, concerns can be quickly resolved at that level. If the matter has already been reviewed with the Sales, Service, or Parts Manager, contact the owner of the dealership or the General Manager.

STEP TWO -- If, after contacting a member of dealership management, it appears your concern cannot be resolved by the dealership without further help, contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center by calling 1-800-222-1020. (In Canada, contact GM of Canada Central Office in Oshawa by calling 1-800-263-3777: English, or 1-800-263-7854: French.)

We encourage you to call the toll-free number, listed above, in order to give your inquiry prompt attention. Please have the following information available to give the Customer Assistance Representative:

Your name, address, home and business telephone numbers
    Vehicle Identification Number (This is available from the vehicle registration, title, or the plate above the left top of the instrument panel and visible through the windshield.)
    Dealership name and location
    Vehicle's delivery date and present mileage
    Nature of concern.
    When contacting Chevrolet, please remember that your concern will likely be resolved in the dealership, using the dealer's facilities, equipment and personnel. That is why we suggest you follow STEP ONE first if you have a concern.
  • I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado and want to install an in dash cup holder in place of the cover but not sure it will work since my truck came without a pull out drink holder. Chevy dealer says they are not sure it will work but maybe. Can anyone help me out before I buy one?
    Will the 4-wheel drive actuator from a 96 Yukon work in a 93 Silverado 1500? The 93 Silverado had the older thermally activated type actuator while the 96 Yukon has the newer electrically activated type. I understand that the wiring may be different. If the actuator would work, what would has to be done to make the wiring adapt?
  • bgunnz15bgunnz15 Posts: 6
    Hey how is it going... i have a 2001 Chevy 4.3... my check engine light showed up and i hooked it uo to the machine.. COde P1416 came up... How can i fix this problem? and is it difficult? PLease help!!! Thank You
  • imageI HAVE 2000 SILVERADO XTRA CAB LIFTED W/34 BFs a/t LOOKS BITCHIN AND PERFORMS AWSOME :shades:
    The 4WD in my 93 Silverado 1500 will not engage. I checked the actuator at the front rear-end. It is working. I can hear the actuator motor operating when I shift from 2WD to 4WD and back. I have also removed the actuator and confirmed it works. Also, when I shift to 4WD, the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front end engages. I cannot turn it by hand but can when it is in 2WD. The light indicators on the shift console do not come on. Any ideas what might be going on?
  • mrmarksmrmarks Posts: 1
    i have a 96 four wheel drive silver that doesn't want to steer very well when warmed up steers hard left or right replaced the pump and cant tell whats wrong with it any help or ??????
  • 2000 5.3L Silverado, Z71. My driver side window no longer goes down. I push the button and only hear a click sound. Of course I checked the fuses, but they check good. I have a feeling it is the switch and not the motor in the door, but am not sure. Anybody got anything?
  • I had the same problem. It isn't the switch on the door. It is the door motor for the window. The cable inside had probably broke. You can buy a new motor for 50-75 dollars. All it takes is four bolts and clipping on the new motor. It is easy to fix. Try to buy the motor anywhere but from the dealer. They will soak you. David. ps. Let me know how you make out. :)