Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tire gauges

Comments

• morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    My trusty old Brookstone dial guage just turned 25, given to me by my wife in 1976. Made in USA & used every weekend since new. Just bought 2 new Brookstone tire guages which are now rubber-coated but still made in US, for gifts. Checked the new ones against the 25 year old model on a tire & reading was the same for all 3. Cost is now $10 each.
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    I want to thank you for great information in a controlled test. I just happen to have purchased 2 of the Accutire gauges at Sears for $8.99 ea (on sale) about a month ago. After calibrating, they read about 0.5 lbs within each other. Funny thing, my old pen "pop up" type gave me the same reading as the Accutire. Still, I trust the digital more. Again, thanks.

greg
  • pblevinepblevine Posts: 858
    But I didn't see this topic until now. I had gone out and purchased a very rugged analog gauge made by "Meiser". Its solid brass covered in rubber and has a short hose attached for pushing against the tire valve. It seems to be very accurate but I don't have anything to compare it against. It also has another nice feature, a bleeding valve. If your tire is over inflated, keep the gauge's hose attached to the tire a push the bleeding button to lower the pressure in a very controlled manner. Although the gauge is marked in 1 lb increments, I can see differences of about one tenth pound. Has anyone else come across this unit?
  • I just got my first van (Toyota) and am not quite used to dirving one yet. Today while turning in a corner, my right rear wheel rubbed/swiped the curb (gutter).
    I am worried that I might have mis-aligned my wheel. Would anyone know, if I did (aside from getting symptoms on my tire later on or going for an expensive wheel alignment check?
  • If you like "analog" stick gauges, take a look at the made-in-America gauges at your local NAPA store. They are excellent, accurate, and sell for $4-$5. You can't beat them.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    Is the radio shack digital gauge the same as the accutire? They look almost identical.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    I bought a pencil type gauge years ago. It was a Camel and came highly rated by CR. I tested against my new digital gauge and they both got the same results. I am happy to say that I did not have to wear special gears while testing... thank you for you time!

Oh.. I do prefer the digital better even though the pencil is almost as accurate since the digital is within .5 psi. The battery of the digital should last for thousand of uses.... I won't be around to verify that though.
  • Batteries wear out whether used or not. At the end of their lives, they have a downward curve of voltage loss that will adversely affect accuracy. Electric instruments are delicate compared to pneumatic instruments.
    I'll stick with the metal cased old style gauges.
  • What do you expect for a tool that only cost $1, $4, or even $12. An accurate air pressure guage is gonna cost $50-$75. On a daily driven street car or pick-up 2 or 3 pounds isn't going to make any noticable difference in performance. The important thing is that all 4 tires are the same pressure. Buy a cheap $4 stick guage and forget about batteries. If all 4 tires are 2 pounds too high or 1 1/2 pounds too low, the average person will never be able to tell the difference. As long as all 4 tires are the same that's all that's important. I have learned through experence at the race track never barrow your friends guage. I only set up my race car with my guage not to say it is accurate, but a guage that is 1 pound off will always be 1 pound off.
  • I've seen tire gauges that can be off by as much as 3psi. Imagine someone driving with 26psi. Boy! That sure helps the fuel economy of the car, not to mention tire wear.

As for battery in a digital gauge, the one that I have said "You observe "L" on the display. the power supply has been depleted. Return to factory for free replacement...." anywway, I am sure that they set it to stop measuring when the battery is too low. Observe the same behavior in your cordless phone or whatever....
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Posts: 219
    I bought one of these. I have problems getting it to fit properly on the stem many times. My old tire gauge, the kind that has the rod that pops out showing the pressure, will almost always fit right. Most of the time with the Accutire, it will work the way when you want to reset it - that is, don't fit it on tight, just enough to get some air to set the reading to zero - that is not what I want most of the time - I want it to fit squarely on the stem so I can check the pressure. Is there some trick with this gauge?
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Posts: 60
    I bought the Accutire MS4000 at Sears this week on sale for $16.99. Regular retail is $32.99. They have the less expensive model(s) on sale for $9.99.

The 4000 works very well for me. It has a digital readout that shows 1/2 lb increments.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Posts: 801
    My wife gave one to me last Christmas. I didn't realize it is such a gem. One question though, how does the lifetime warranty on the battery work? You can't take the gauge apart to replace the battery. So does that mean Accutire will give you a new gauge should the battery run out in your lifetime?
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Posts: 60
    that's the way I understand it.

Features:

* Latest technology in digital air-pressure measurement delivers precision accuracy
    * Large backlit LCD display lights up for nighttime viewing
    * Accurately measures 5 to 99 psi in 1/2-pound increments
    * Runs off a Lifetime Lithium battery and automatically shuts off
    * 5 year warranty

The battery is meant to last a "lifetime", and the gauge is guaranteed for 5 years against defects in manufacture.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Posts: 801
    My lifetime? The lifetime of the gauge? How about if I were to give the guage to my son? These things aren't registered, so they can't control such "transfers". Also, do they replace the battery for you, or give you a new gauge?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    If the warranty is 5 years then lifetime is 5 years! Send them the gauge after 5-years for a new battery and they will say sorry it is out of warranty.

Lifetime generally means the life of the product, not the person who bought it. Hence if the warranty is 5 years the product life is 5 years. Of course the battery will probably last much longer than that - you just won't get a free one when it dies.
  • Lithium batteries have very long shelf lives. If you only occasionally use your Accutire gauge, I would bet you could get twenties years out of it.
  • dekindydekindy Posts: 1
    All these guages got outstanding marks from consumer reports in May 2002. #6 was average for ruggedness and #'s 7 & 8 were below average for ruggedness. All were very accurate.
    1. Accutire MS-4000
     $30
     Digital
     5-99 psi
    2. Accutire MS-4020B
     Digital
     5-150 psi
    3. Monkey Grip M8867
     Digital
     5-99 psi
    4. NAPA 90-389
     Pencil
     10-50 psi
    5. Monkey Grip M8862
     Pencil
     10-50 psi
    6. Pressure Inc. DT-105
     Digital
     1-100 psi
    7. AccuGauge H100X
     Dial
     5-100 psi
    8. Monkey Grip M8854
     Dial
     2-60 psi
  • akasrpakasrp Posts: 170
    Accutire Model MS-4421BT 'Clearance' Priced $10.48 at Target. Nice blue backlight.