Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tire gauges

Comments

• muckyduckmuckyduck Posts: 219
    I bought one of these. I have problems getting it to fit properly on the stem many times. My old tire gauge, the kind that has the rod that pops out showing the pressure, will almost always fit right. Most of the time with the Accutire, it will work the way when you want to reset it - that is, don't fit it on tight, just enough to get some air to set the reading to zero - that is not what I want most of the time - I want it to fit squarely on the stem so I can check the pressure. Is there some trick with this gauge?
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Posts: 60
    I bought the Accutire MS4000 at Sears this week on sale for $16.99. Regular retail is $32.99. They have the less expensive model(s) on sale for $9.99.

The 4000 works very well for me. It has a digital readout that shows 1/2 lb increments.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Posts: 801
    My wife gave one to me last Christmas. I didn't realize it is such a gem. One question though, how does the lifetime warranty on the battery work? You can't take the gauge apart to replace the battery. So does that mean Accutire will give you a new gauge should the battery run out in your lifetime?
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Posts: 60
    that's the way I understand it.

Features:

* Latest technology in digital air-pressure measurement delivers precision accuracy
    * Large backlit LCD display lights up for nighttime viewing
    * Accurately measures 5 to 99 psi in 1/2-pound increments
    * Runs off a Lifetime Lithium battery and automatically shuts off
    * 5 year warranty

The battery is meant to last a "lifetime", and the gauge is guaranteed for 5 years against defects in manufacture.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Posts: 801
    My lifetime? The lifetime of the gauge? How about if I were to give the guage to my son? These things aren't registered, so they can't control such "transfers". Also, do they replace the battery for you, or give you a new gauge?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    If the warranty is 5 years then lifetime is 5 years! Send them the gauge after 5-years for a new battery and they will say sorry it is out of warranty.

Lifetime generally means the life of the product, not the person who bought it. Hence if the warranty is 5 years the product life is 5 years. Of course the battery will probably last much longer than that - you just won't get a free one when it dies.
  • Lithium batteries have very long shelf lives. If you only occasionally use your Accutire gauge, I would bet you could get twenties years out of it.
  • dekindydekindy Posts: 1
    All these guages got outstanding marks from consumer reports in May 2002. #6 was average for ruggedness and #'s 7 & 8 were below average for ruggedness. All were very accurate.
    1. Accutire MS-4000
     $30
     Digital
     5-99 psi
    2. Accutire MS-4020B
     Digital
     5-150 psi
    3. Monkey Grip M8867
     Digital
     5-99 psi
    4. NAPA 90-389
     Pencil
     10-50 psi
    5. Monkey Grip M8862
     Pencil
     10-50 psi
    6. Pressure Inc. DT-105
     Digital
     1-100 psi
    7. AccuGauge H100X
     Dial
     5-100 psi
    8. Monkey Grip M8854
     Dial
     2-60 psi
  • akasrpakasrp Posts: 170
    Accutire Model MS-4421BT 'Clearance' Priced $10.48 at Target. Nice blue backlight.
  • last week at PepBoys for 8.99. They had couple of those digital ones there. I didn't know which one to get, so I got the cheapest one. I'm glad I got this one as I like the shape with the finger indent, it's pretty ergonomic IMHO.
  • an air compressor and a new tire gauge. I'll have to see if Sears is having a sale now or else go to NAPA and see what they have.

Hmmm... I wonder if I could convince the wife the new valve stems were needed for the new tire gauge and the new stems were already installed in the new tires and the new tires were already on the new car.....
  • dplavdplav Posts: 6
    I bought the Accutire MS-4020B and had trouble getting it to fit to get a proper readout, anyone try the newest Accutire MS-4100B. Costs about $30, should be worth it, but wanted to see if anyone used it and their experience.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Posts: 386
    I bought one last year and also had trouble getting the nozzle to fit over the valve stems on two cars. The nozzle looks too small to fit and seems to be made of plastic. Not sure of the exact model number.
  • 5539655396 Posts: 529
    "The important thing is that all 4 tires are the same pressure. Buy a cheap $4 stick guage and forget about batteries. If all 4 tires are 2 pounds too high or 1 1/2 pounds too low, the average person will never be able to tell the difference. As long as all 4 tires are the same that's all that's important."

Ahhhh, common sense. Far too often we get hung up on things. My dad used to think that if he paid the highest price, he got the best quality - and he was a businessman. When he traded cars at his favorite dealer, the dealer would quote a price, Dad would come back with "That's too high, Paul, sharpen your pencil. Paul would then lower his price and my dad thought he was really dealing. The fact is, Paul knew the game and started out high. When he 'sharpened his pencel', what he really did was to drop it to what he really wanted for the car. Buyer beware. In all fairness, the tools we have today to research weren't available then.

Take the time to understand the product and the deal, then apply common sense and see if paying for the high priced spread is really worth it. Some can't settle for anything else, and that's fine, if after going through the process, they still want to spend the bucks.
  • 5539655396 Posts: 529
    #38 of 48 How do they define lifetime? by bodydouble Jun 10, 2002 (8:14 pm)
    "My lifetime? The lifetime of the gauge? How about if I were to give the guage to my son? These things aren't registered, so they can't control such "transfers". Also, do they replace the battery for you, or give you a new gauge? "

The devil is in the details. My wife just paid $300 for a landscape 'plan' which with be returned if we buy product. Sounds simple, right? She asked no further questions. My questions were: 1. Can you just buy $300 worth of plants at no charge beyond the plan cost? 2. If not, how much must you buy to get the 300 credit? 3. Must you pay for the entire plan before you receive the credit? To me, important questions. Never occured to her. Try as I may, I can't get her to think beyond the first thing.
  • Please help me find the following, any recommendations that meet this spec would be appreciated.

Very Accurate Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
    0-90psi
    0.25% accuracy
    0.1psi display increments (must have this)
    12-18" rubber hose

Similar to the following, but not so expensive

http://www.buxtonengineering.com/digital_tire_pressure_gauge.htm

http://www.intercomp-racing.com/detail.cfm?ItemID=60
  • QuickCar Deluxe Digital Tire Pressure Gauge

Meets all your requirements, except that it's 0-50psi, not 0-90psi.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    .....and the guy who replaced them said he put 30 psi in them. When I got home I checked them with my guage and all 4 tires read 34-35 psi. I don't know if the tire guy's gauge was off or if my cheap gauge with the little square rod that protrudes out from the middle was off. At any rate, I think I definitely need to look into one of these Accutire gauges. It's amazing how many vehicles I see on the road with underinflated (or just improperly inflated) tires and how many people don't realize (or care) how important proper tire pressure is.
    If you're looking to purchase an Accutire gauge from the internet, make sure you'll actually be getting an Accutire gauge before you order. For example, doing a search on bizrate.com for Accutire shows that Circuit City sells them. I actually went to our local CC after their web site indicated they had the Accutire gauges in stock. The gauges they had were in fact made by Nextech and they didn't have a single gauge with the Accutire name on it. The Nextech gauge I looked at looks just like one of the Accutire gauges and its part number (63-1113) is listed on CC's site as an Accutire gauge. I will be contacting the Tire Rack to find out if the gauges they sell are actually made by Accutire. If so, I'll probably just order one from them.
    ....from the Tire Rack. Their's are actually made by Accutire.
  • virtusvirtus Posts: 1
    He measured the tire pressure cold. After you drive on the tires for more than a mile, the tire pressure goes up by ~5 psi. You want to wait at least a few hours to measure a tire cold.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Tire Rack has some good information on variation of tire pressure under various conditions.

tidester, host
    ....check tire pressure on cold tires.
  • glygly Posts: 12
    Accutire gauges are distributed by Measurement Specialties in Hampton, VA. Most are imported from China.

My favorite gages are Accu_Gage tire gages, made, not imported, by G. H. Meiser & Co. in the U.S. since 1906. I particularly like the RH60X series dial gage with hose. (R = Rubber case, H = Hose, 60 = max psi, X = straight end, not swivel, not 90º) Has pressure bleed valve and holds reading.

If you compare two similar gages by Accutire and Accu-Gage side-by-side, you will see the difference in quality.

Unless you are running nitrogen, it is pointless to measure to 0.1 psi, as the pressure fluctuations with air (because of its moisture content) swamps that precision.

Anyone who spends $100 or more for a tire gage has more money than brains, IMHO.

Finally, you can calibrate your gage at any truck stop. It's a service most truck stops provide to truckers.
  • http://www.getagauge.com/ItemDetail.cfm?ModelNo=EZ-AIR

The ability to to fill the tires through the gauge looks nice.

Any feedback out there?
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Posts: 215
    The accutire gauge is warrantied for 5 years. The battery(s) are warrantied for life.
    You would have to send it in to have the battery replaced postage paid and they recommend insured.
    So probably just as well to buy your own battery instead.
    Good thing about lithiums, they have an excellent shelf life. So it really should last quite a while.
  • pooiepooie Posts: 1
    I just lost my trusted tire gauge from Brookstone and I am looking to replace it. Not sure if it is the same one. The one I used was around 25 years old with a circular dial around 2 " and had about 6" of tubing.Can you let me know if this sounds familiar, if not does any one where I can but this. It seems Brookstone doesn't carry this old model any more. Pooie
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    Thanks Paul for your tip, I got one for $148 including shipping. This gauge is very good and accurate, I used to have problem in measure the tire pressure for some of the tires valve stem. This is perfectly fit for those problem tire stem and the digital reading is very large and easy to read at when you place your guauge meter at the floor. For 50 lbs it is enougth for passenger cars. Also it will auto shut the power and backlight.
  • joel53joel53 Posts: 1
    I have several tire gauges: some analog (circular movement), a few pen-type and an Accutire digital. Some were a little pricey ($50) and some were cheap ($5). The digital was at Target for $10 and I wasn't sure I could trust it (at that price). But when I heard Car Guys (on the radio) say most digitals were very accurate, I thought I'd try one.

When I compared it to my others and found up to a 5 lb. difference, it dawned on me, which one do I trust and how do I calibrate the others?

I talked to my local tire shop to see how they have theirs calibrated and was shocked to find they not only didn't calibrate theirs but recommenced a cheap $5 pen-type to use. And the tire manufacturers are the ones that stress keeping your tires filled to the proper pressure level and that even one or two lbs. can make a difference in tire performance, wear and safety!

Does anyone out there know of a place that will calibrate tire gauges? The research that dhcopp started Jun-27-01 and completed Jul-14-2001 was excellent (thanks dhcopp!), but I'd like to locate a place where I can see how accurate the ones I already own are.

Maybe a type of business that most of have in or near our towns, like an industrial or commercial place that deals with pressurized tanks or other pressure equipment that must be pressure tested and certified.

Any ideas? Thanks everyone for your input!