Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• eric13eric13 Member Posts: 1
    Anza1,pal,you are not alone. Have exactly the same problem on wife's 05 Limited. Same circumstances,too. She had blowout on left rear tire [went over a piece of metal in the road]. Replaced with the spare, had to get new tire [couln't be repaired] which became the new spare. TPM would not reset, amber flashing lite on IP every time she starts the car followed by "spre low pressure" on overhead monitor. Dealer checked all five tire sensors, says they're o.k. Service manager says factory is aware of a "software" issue with the TPM but no solution as yet. Let me know if you have better luck than me. Thanks.
  • d1ngerd1nger Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 2.5 CRD Sport 53000 miles
    Over the last 5000 miles aprox i have noticed the following intermittent problem.
    If i use the car for a short trip it sounds like the engine is going to vibrate its self off the mounts and its as if it isn't producing full power. It can be difficult to pull away from lights etc at sufficient speed once moving its not a problem. It seems to be worse during damp weather.
    Other times it works fine though this seems to be occurring more frequently. And the engine can be hot or cold.
    I had the car serviced last month but the problem has persisted.
    Has anyone experienced the same problem ? any ideas would be appreciated as i am considering going to the dealer with this one.
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Do you have normal mileage values?
    I'm thinking of either an engine compression loss (vibrations when cold) or a 'dirty' air mass-flowmeter sensor (less power during damp weather). Have you tried to remove the air filter when the engine is running cold?
    Sorry i don,t understand normal mileage values?
    If you mean fuel consumption that seems to be normal.
    And no i havent tried removing the air filter.
    Where is the sensor located so i can check to see if it needs cleaning.
    Regards
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    Just chexing with you guys and girls,so whats everyone getting on Mi. ,in the city and High way Mi. any input would be great.

Thanks
  • gollumgollum Member Posts: 7
    yeah I'd say $900 isnt nickle and diming..that really stinks.
    I hate the stealership. they will rip you off left and right. The only reason I went to them is because on my 03, I purchased the extended warrantee. A complete waste of money I might add! Last month I got rid of my 03 and got an 05 renegade. I swore I wouldnt get another jeep but 0% financing and 2k cash back. it was an offer I couldnt refuse..I love the liberty that much that I gave it a second chance, plus I thought it would be a good time to unload my 03 with the great offers. I know, call me dumb....but I didn't purchase the extened warrantee so I wouldnt have to feel like I am trapped at the stealership when things go wrong. I know great mechanic and he is very fair with pricing.
    By the way ajp3, 34k miles for new brakes is great. I had to get my done at 15k then again at 30k so consider yourself lucky in that sense.
    good luck.
  • jeffcojeffco Member Posts: 1
    I get the same noise in my 2002 Liberty, and it seems to be worse when the weather is cold and wet. The noise comes more from the left front wheel when going over speed bumps, pot holes etc. I have taken it too the dealer twice and they replaced the ball joints on the recall and torqued the tie rod ends on the second visit. I am thinking maybe the shocks like you stated. I know on my 88 cherokee the rubber bushings make a lot of noise when they are cold, but the bushings on the Liberty are completely different. Let me know if you find out anything as I you!
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    My 2005 Limited had a low tire warning on the left rear. It has 22 lbs. Put on the spare, and left it with a tire shop. The TPM kept saying the spare tire was low. When I put the tire on the spare tire rack when I picked up the repaired tire ithe TPM still gave a faulty signal. I took it to the Jeep dealer. They reprogramed whatever it is that they reprogramed, and it works fine now. The tec told me that this happens from time to time. They washed and cleaned the Liberty and said they were sorry for the problem it caused me. I call this good service. I hope this helps you.
    On our last tank we got 21.7 mpg on our 2005 3.7 This is a combination of city and country driving and 4x4 on our gravel road. I am very pleased. We have 6000 iles on it now.
    The sensor can be seen when the engine cover is removed. It sits in the middle of the intake manifold, accessible from below the manifold.
    Before removing the sensor, perhaps you could get a good idea of the cleanliness of the inside of the manifold by opening the intercooler hose. If there is any 'sticky' substance in there you have a potential problem.
    thanks for Your reply :)
  • jdamantheyjdamanthey Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Jeep liberty sport 3.7 4wd w/ 75k miles. To start, my check engine light went on. Took it to mechanic, 4th cylinder misfiring..replaced the coil, did full tune up...got it back next day..again chck engine light is on...code says again the 4th..took it back/again the 4th is misfiring...replaced the coil...got it back. Again, next morning...starts rough, engine light flashes, sounds like crap. Shut if off, restart, runs fine but the yellow light remains. This all started 4/8 - took it back..my engine didn't like the rocker arm so it spit it out. replaced the lifter, push rod & rocker arm. Picked it up...drove 30 miles, engine light is back on. Same code...4th misfiring. Now I have a knock in my engine and you can feel it through the gas pedal...brought it back..again, the rocker arm was spit out. In the interim, at least I got a new code...302 - 2nd cylinder misfiring....replaced all the coil packs. Since 2nd & 4th went, I only have 4 more cylinders to go. Now again, when the car starts up...you hear the knocking....what is going on??? Anyone else having problems with the engine of their heep?????
    Frank,
    I have a 2002 Jeep 3.7 w/75k miles. I hate my engine..not only have I lost the coils in cylinder 2 & 4, it spit out the rocker arm. Now I have this knocking in my engine...it's the push rod and the lifter collapsed. Replaced the lifter, push rod and also the rocker arm...took it back..not 30 miles later and my chck engine light is on. Shut off the vehicle...restarted it and low and behold...it sounds like crap again and the knock is back. Again, the damn engine spit out the rocker arm and the lifter collapsed. I've had it back & forth since 4/8 and no resolution. The only way to get rid of this heep is to trade it in back to Jeep....no one will take it with a check engine...I went to Jeep yesteday .. told them I'd give them an '02 for an '05. They didn't seem to concerned about the chck engine light...told them what I've had done..showed them all my recpts and the mechanic just shrugged...seems it's a 3.7 engine problem and I'm waiting for a recall notice.
    Its your blower resistor - part is about $15 from any jeep dealer....you can find it behind your glove box....takes 5 min to install.
  • libertyinctlibertyinct Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7 4x4 with 63K miles. Here's the numbers on my gas mileage.

Average MPG = 17.61
    Standard Deviation of 0.72
    Maximum MPG since I bought it new = 19.51
    thanks 4 your #s on the Mi.
  • renolibertyrenoliberty Member Posts: 12
    '03 Jeep Liberty 3.7 4x4 manual transmission with 17K miles - typical usage: 80% City / 20% Highway.

Avg MPG in winter months with oxygenated gas = 16.6
    Avg MPG in summer months = 19.0
    Avg MPG on extended spring road trip - 100% highway = 21.8
    Avg MPG for total mileage = 17.8
    Thanks all for your Fuel consumption stats.
    I have tried running without an air filter and it is running smother with better acceleration.The old filter was rather dirty so i am getting and fitting a new one tomorrow the filter box was full of dirt too.Unfortunatly i left it too long to confront the dealer (1500 miles) as i find it hard to believe they changed the old one.
    Further to my original problem if i start the engine from cold there is virtually no power for almost a minute ( I have to wait). Then to pull away it takes a lot of revs and after 1/2 mile or so it is ok.
  • willysjeepwillysjeep Member Posts: 107
    "Further to my original problem if i start the engine from cold there is virtually no power for almost a minute ( I have to wait). Then to pull away it takes a lot of revs and after 1/2 mile or so it is ok."

In years gone by, I owned vehicles with choke problems. Could it be something as simple as whatever fuel injection has as the equivalent of a choke? Some of mine were even manually choked cars and you had to learn how fast to slide the choke lever back in.

Is there a butterfly valve at the air intake that slowly opens as the engine warms up?

Sometimes I miss carburetors.....but not for long.
  • ajp3ajp3 Member Posts: 3
    So, after thinking about the $900 rack and pinon expense we decide to call the Jeep 800 customer service number and [non-permissible content removed]. Guess what...The Stealership (as you so appropriately put it) is going to now do the job for $250.00 That's some difference.
    My advise to everyone is to call that 800 number and [non-permissible content removed]...it worked for us.
    And, as far as the 34,000 on the brakes, it's her car not mine. She drives like she's got an egg on the pedal.
  • zhouzhou Member Posts: 8
    I scratched the right side bumper of my jeep liberty. It's unpainted with kind of gray color. How do you fix it as you can't repaint it.

Thanks
  • raymondmeraymondme Member Posts: 1
    I am having problem with my heat when on floor vent. The defrost throws off stifling, blasting heat and there are drafts around the steering wheel and the side of the console and dash. Is this similar to your problem? Does anyone else have a similar problem.

The dealership is not finding this to be a problem and doesn't seem able to fix it.
  • smeatsmeat Member Posts: 1
    I think i am having the same problem, but, this is an overhead cam engine, therefore no push rods, (I think) I just dropped mine off at the stealership, and haven't gotten a diagnosis yet. I'll let you know what happens! :cry:
  • mud1mud1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Liberty Renegade. At 8,000 miles they had to replace the rear end. Now at 12,000 miles..another rear end. Anyone else having this problem??
    :cry:
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    What were the symptoms in your liberty that lead you to have the rear end replaced twice?
  • billybob1962billybob1962 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Liberty Columbia Ed. with 16,000 miles on it.

I was pulling away from a red light today and pressed the accelerator. There was a two second delay, then - CLUNK- it went in to gear. The RPMs were high enough to squeal the tires on the pavement when it went in to gear. It had failed to change into first at the red light after I had already driven about 10 miles in DRIVE. Is this a problem inherent in this model or is this on a quick road to the shop?

This is my third jeep product. The last one was a Wrangler which I put 106,000 miles on with only one shop visit: a power steering pump replacement. Do I need to rethink about another Jeep product? This problem seems pretty bad.
    To make it look new, you have to change it.
    To make it look better, smooth sand paper to deburr locally and then let the sun bring back the color. If you try to melt the plastic it's even worse, and then you will want to change it. Fine sandblasting will do a nice job, but again the sun needs to do it's work. All plastic cleaning solutions will make you see the difference with more contrast (I got the info from a body repair shop).
  • gsaintgsaint Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty. When I apply the brakes the steering wheel jitters. It also pulls slightly to the right. Also there is a "wooshing" sound coming from the left front wheel. I'm wondering if this can be caused by a warped left front brake rotor? If not any ideas?
    sorry it wasn't push rods...lifters, springs, you name it....It wound up to be a blow headgasket...take it to a dealer! I took mine to a local mechanic you really muffed it up. Cost me $2000 for everything. Hurts. Just got it back 2 days ago...that ugly yellow glow is back...now it says 153 - oxygen sensor response too slow - what the???!!!! I'm not happy with my heep. :cry:
  • libertyjaillibertyjail Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the site, and I need some advice. We have an 02 Liberty 3.7L, 6-cylinder engine, and we've just found out that we need to replace the engine, due to the oil pump getting clogged with sludge. I'm willing to accept responsibility for whatever I've done to contribute to this, but I don't want to get taken advantage of.

The service person at the dealership said that it looked like the oil hadn't been changed for 20,000 miles, and they had to take the engine apart to see how extensive the damage was. The oil had been changed at the end of February. How can this be? Wouldn't a problem this serious be noticed by those changing the oil?

The other thing is, I was told that the engine would have to be built from parts because it is a short block, and it is not standard. Could someone help me decipher this?

Any advice appreciated.
  • 05rockymount05rockymount Member Posts: 3
    I bought a brand new black 05 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain 9 days ago. Yesterday, I noticed a blister on the hood. The jeep had been sitting outside most of the day in sunny 90 degree weather. This is the first black vehicle I have owned and now have strong reservations about it. The jeep will be garage kept, but 90 degree's is a "cool" day in the summer here where I live. What can I expect from this paint?
  • babyd519babyd519 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Renegade in 3 times for rear end problems and have been told: 1)they can't locate the problem, 2)they tightened everything and it should be okay, and 3)there is no problem, everything is fine! I'm still having problems. What lead your dealer/mechanic to determine that the rear end had to be replaced? My vehicle has aprox. 10,000 miles on it. Any insight you can share would be appreciated!
  • liberty04liberty04 Member Posts: 1
    I replied to your message but didn't see it post to the site. I was wondering if you saw it. I'm new at this.
    thanks
  • 2003wrangler2003wrangler Member Posts: 24
    I have had the exact same thing happen a couple times to me. It is very rare that it happens, but I need to get it checked out soon. I have an 05 Renegage with just over 3K miles.....
  • 05rockymount05rockymount Member Posts: 3
    Took jeep to dealer today and found out it was tree sap - not a blister. Feel like an idiot but happy it's not the paint. I love my new black Jeep Liberty!
  • balajivbalajiv Member Posts: 1
    In cold weather, my Jeep Liberty 04 consistently makes grinding noise when backing out of the lot. After a while, the noise goes away. Did anyone have similar prob? Is this a typical jeep behavior or something I need to worry about? Did anyone bring it into service and what was the diagnose?
  • kdh2okdh2o Member Posts: 2
    I have been dealing with this same issue all this week, The speed sensor is located on top of the rear differential.. not too hard to see and get to. (use arm space between gas tank and rear axle)
    In my case the parking brake cable had rubbed through the wires leading to the sensor. after taping up the open wires i went to replace the speed sensor (purchased from auto zone) and it wasn't the correct part! After having them order the second part and waited yet another day.. still not correct part (especially since i knew what it mine looked like) the manager explained that it appeared jeep changed the sensor out mid year.. yet both parts listed/selling were incorrect. Also.. O'Rielly and PepBoys dont even carry the part.. I am now on the hunt online but may have to go to the dealership.. (which needed to order the part as well) ugh!!!
  • azbound05azbound05 Member Posts: 3
    I finally took mine to the dealer because I had the same problem. I also purchased the speed sensor and it was the incorrect part. The dealer said that the wires had to be spliced and put back together. They charged me about $150 to spice wires. Now I have another problem. The rear-end is leading fluid. It looks like it's leaking oil. I'm deathly afraid of taking it back to a dealer due to the fact that I will once again be overcharged. I'm figuring that possibly it's a seal by where the fluid is located. Any ideas? Another thing being that the inside lights goes on and off when they feel like it. Looks like this is a "normal" problem on this forum. I'm seriously considering purchasing a new vehicle, not just basing my decision on the above mentioned problems, but because it does not do well on gas mileage. I have enjoyed the Liberty but am putting many more miles on it a day than it's worth.
  • kwagner88kwagner88 Member Posts: 18
    In cold weather, my Jeep Liberty 04 consistently makes grinding noise when backing out of the lot. After a while, the noise goes away. Did anyone have similar prob? Is this a typical jeep behavior or something I need to worry about? Did anyone bring it into service and what was the diagnose?

My 02 does the same thing from time to time. I was worried enough about it to take it to a dealer and have it checked out. I trust the technician who checked it out and he told me that he coudln't find any problems with the transfer case or rear differential, but both pinion seals were leaking on the differentials. This cost me about $400 to have them replaced.
    Long ago, I posted about this rear differential speed sensor and the parking brake cables. I STRONGLY recomend that anyone who has not had this problem buy a couple of nylon tie wraps from your local auto parts store and tie this thing back to prevent it from breaking the wires. For the person who was charged $150 for wire splicing. . .you were taken, for sure and I suggest you complain very loudly to the manager. $150 for a 15 minute job? GET REAL! The second time those cables cut into my sensor, I spliced them myself and tied back the brake cables. The wires were cut to the top of the sensor and I had to use a dremel tool to cut away the plastic, but I was able to solder them back together.
    I took my 02 liberty back to have the transmission, transfer case and differential check out and all appears to be fine. I did, however, make them reprogram my transmission and this has helped. I found out that a liberty with the tow package and a liberty without it have different trannies. I have the tow package on mine and appearently, this transmission is more robust than the other one (I think mine is the 42RFE or 45RFE - off the top of my head, I don't recall). I think that because the liberty is capable of towing much more than other SUVs in it's class, the transmission is a bit tough. I did have leaking pinion seals and they replaced them, but thats not uncommon. Appearently, the occasional grinding noise, clicking and harsh shifting do not adversely affect anything in the short term and if you hear these noises, don't worry about it too much. I do recomend that you spend the $75 to have your transmission reprogrammed. It's not that much and should help alleviate some of these problems.
  • jeepheadachejeepheadache Member Posts: 1
    I am also new to this forum. I was just advised by my local Jeep Dealership that my Liberty LE's 3.7 also needs to be replaced due to sludge build up. About 1 month after having the oil changed last year, I noticed alot of pinging noise, I checked the oil and it was basically empty, I put in 3 quarts at that time. I suspected the dealership did not replace the oil they took out. Anyway, I continued to drive the jeep normally for the past year, occasionally putting about 1 qt of oil oil in couple of months (when the pinging would return. Last week, the oil lamp came on and the engine began to ping alot. I checked the oil level, it was good. I went to the dealer and they stated the pressure was good, no problems noted by the computer, and recommended a Bilsten flush and oil change. I had this done. When I picked the car up, they said the light was now off, and the vehicle okay. I started the car and everything appeared and sounded okay. I live about 10 miles from the dealership and about half way home the oil lamp came back on and the engine really started pinging loudly, louder than a diesel. I brought the car back to the dealer in the morning, the service manager came out and pulled the sludge stick out and said the engine was shot and I would need a replacement and that there was nothing he could do. The time between oil changes was also about 20k miles. I also take responsibility for my part, but I've never heard of sludging taking out an engine in 20k miles. No heavy driving, just to/from work.

Since the dealership is unwilling to help me resolve this, I'm left to looking to insurance companies and junk yards for a low mileage 3.7. Any helpful suggestions out there?

Thanks, JeepHeadache
  • tqqlintqqlin Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 made a noise from the rear differential, I took it to the dealer and they put an additive to the oil...free of charge. Ever since then the noise is gone.
  • libodryvrlibodryvr Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an '04 Liberty on May 30th. So far it has met our expectations imagine that in only one day. We have had our minds set on one of these for some time now. Finally we got one. It is the Columbia edition 4WD. anyone having any problems with theirs? Not me yet. Mine has 13000 miles and has been in service for 15 months. Thanks
  • biker6biker6 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 Liberty in 2002 the front rotors had to be cut at 11000 miles and again at 20000 miles I contacted Chrysler and they paid for the Machining of the rotors 121.0.Dollars The first time the dealer gave me a good faith machining of the rotors The ball joints had to be replaced on a recall due to heat from the rotors I am in the process of changing the front rotors and brakes at 30.000.miles One side note When I called Chrysler they thought my driving was the cause of my problems Ihave a 1987 Ford Bronco 2that had 95.000 thousand miles before I changed the rotors Has any one else had these problems If so I would like to here from You Biker 6
  • cappy2cappy2 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 Liberty Limited with the 3.7 V-6 and towing package.
    In the first 400 miles it is getting 12-13 miles per gallon mostly suburbs/country roads. Is this normal?
    The salesman said that the Jeep needs to be broken in for 2,000 to 3,000 miles before the MPG will get better. Does this seem reasonable to anyone out there? I read posts that tell of having a reflash/reprogram of the computer that has helped in their cases. I would just like to know if other owners are getting low MPG.
  • 0625195906251959 Member Posts: 2
    We have an '02 Liberty and the transmission just gave out. It was going into neutral instead of the third/final gear. It only has 48k miles, never off road, never driven hard. Why?? We had some issues of hard shifting and we also had an issue when it hit 55/60mph where it would kind of bump. We took it into the dealership and they said that was normal. I think they BS'd us, as we are now looking at ~3k worth of fixes. Anyone else have '02 tranny issues????
  • kendykendy Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased an 02 liberty and I have noticed an occasional hard shift. Since it is not very bad, I have ignored it, but I often wonder if its not something serious? I also have a problem with a bumping when I come to a stop, and I completely understand what you mean about being BS'd by the dealership. I had to take my jeep back three times for this bumping and they did very little. The first time: they bolted down something with the rear suspension, second time: lubed up a drive shaft or something( sorry I'm not very technical). they do a little work and the problem stops for a while. Either they do not know enough about these vehicles " skilled technicians" or they just do enough patch work until warranty expires. My jeep has been problem free for two weeks, but with the history of the re occurring noise......... I'll have to keep you posted.
  • jimk3jimk3 Member Posts: 10
    Hi there

The Air conditioning stopped working in our 2002 Liberty (41K miles). It's at the dealer right now, and they think it is the compressor?

Anyone else have this happen? Apparently the cost will be around $750.
    Not a good day. I'm also having them do the 45K maintenance today @ $265.

Will keep you posted
    Jim :(
    cappy2: I had a very simular situation with my 05 limited. Mine was made in Aug. 04. I was sent a recall notice for a re programing the engine. That made a big inprovement. However until I had 4,500 miles the milage continued to improve. I typically get 17 to 21 mpg depending on how gingerely we drive. It makes a big difference when you punch it just a few times in one tank full. I can easly get 15.5 if I just floor it several times and drive up in the back hills and arround the lake.

I believe the 17 inch rims make an additional help in mpg as well. I have yet to use any oil that I can tell between oil changes, and I now have 9,300 miles on it. So your salesperson is right, but you might check to see if your Liberty is one needing to be reprogramed. I hope you enjoy your Liberty as much as we do ours.
This discussion has been closed.