Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cheryl3038cheryl3038 Member Posts: 42
    Okay, so I might have figured this one out. I was driving home tonight and reached over to hit the rear defrost button when I hear that same clicking noise. I turned the defrost on and off and heard the click each time. Now I atleast have a better idea of what to tell the service guy.
  • bill216bill216 Member Posts: 1
    Have a Liberty Sport loaded-
    No problems at all yet with 9500 miles-except there is a developing vibration when decelerating from 54 to 45 with the o/d on. It is very high pitched-which makes me think it is a driveshaft rotation problem-possibly a universal joint-no vibration on acceleration through those speeds-I can go to 54 and take foot off gas and get the vibration-very rapid-down to 45 or so.
    Any ideas?-For other people- I have a clunk also when slowing-but notice that it seems to be timed to the speedometer-the needle is slow to reach zero on hard barking-Maybe the transmission is tied to that-Slow braking doesn't have the clunk.
    The clicking sound in mine at highway speeds were loose plastic roof strips-I reglued them
    and no noise now.
    Otherwise I love the Liberty-Get 19 mpg (40 mile commute to work)
    So need some thoughts on the vibration!
    Thanks
  • znail25znail25 Member Posts: 12
    This is new. Our Liberty's heater has stopped working twice. The first time was at about 1200 miles and the second was 2600 miles which was this past week. Both times the jeep had been driven so it was warmed up and then shut off to go in store. When restarting the jeep the heat didn't come on it just blew cold air. And yes I did make sure the heat was on. The fan motor works, the vent selection switch works, it changes from floor to defrost and all others work. The problem is with the heat selector. When rotated nothing happens, from all the way left (cold) to the far right (hot).
    I would like to know if anyone else has had any problems with this. Thanks
  • dwdrurydwdrury Member Posts: 1
    Reminds me of a problem on early '94 Dodge Rams. Plastic selector knob for vent control would strip. Turning the knob didn't turn the shaft. Could history repeat itself? You might be able to check by pulling off the knob and rotating the shaft with a pair of needlenose pliers and seeing if your problem disappears. Another possibility is a vacuum leak or blockage the might prevent the appropriate deflector doors from actuating.
  • wytewolfwytewolf Member Posts: 1
    I have a safety related question. I caught the tail end of a local news show about the location of the gas tank in Jeep (Cherokee and Grand Cherokee) vehicles. Apparently it is located behind the rear axle, not in front of it. This could lead to rupturing and combustion during rear end collisions (Ford Pinto comes to mind!). Does the Liberty have that same design? The reason I'm asking is that I have a couple of kids who will be riding in the rear seats and it does raise some safety questions.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    wytewolf: I don't know the full answer to your question about the gas tank location. Seems like a number of vehicles I've owned have had their gas tanks located behind the rear axle. I realize you are concerned for your kids, so I thought I'd chime in with what I ~think~ I remember from the Pinto situation.

There was a shock absorber (or maybe a strut) placed in such a way that it could puncture the gas tank, and that was the safety problem with the Pinto. Once the arrangement was re-designed, the serious problem was gone.
  • stevek18stevek18 Member Posts: 19
    My two cents... given that the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee have been around for so many years, has there ever been a problem with the gas tank location being an "actual" safety issue? ("actual" meaning really happening on the roads, not just dreamed up by the media - similar to rollover concerns).
    I don't think there is any history of the Cherokee/GC gas tank being an issue. And maybe, if the Liberty design is similar,... this could be a good thing.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    the 1970,80's Chevy GMC pickup have gas tank on the side , outside the frame and was the center of lot of TV coverage for blowing up in a side impact. Anyone remember if they recalled the trucks ?

The Pinto tank trouble is due to a $7 part that connects the filler tube to the tank, Ford choose to save the $7 despite its own engineers recommendation.

Suzuke Grand Vitara XL7 also has gas tank behind the axle, was attacked by some automotive press. That tank is even closer to the rear bumper.
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    on my Cherokee is behind the axle but with even only the stock suspension the gas tank would have to be driven down into the axle and not just straight back. If you had a little bit of lift or the gas tank skid plate, it would take a lot (ie major collision) of force to cause the gas tank to rupture.

If the design was a problem before, I'm sure everybody would know about it. I'm too young to remember when the pinto was around but I sure have heard about it's crash results.
  • canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    if I remember correctly did'nt one of the networks attach an explosive device to the GM truck's fuel tank so they could show how it "blew up" on collision?

GM sued their pants off.
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    I remember it being a model rocket engine, but then again I was probably only 11 or 12 when it happened.
  • dewumpydewumpy Member Posts: 17
    This discussion is really more appropriate for the general "Liberty" discussion page.
  • cheryl3038cheryl3038 Member Posts: 42
    I received my first recall notice in the mail today. Something about the knee plate on the driver's side falling out. I remember once shortly after I got my Liberty I was driving on the expressway (a very bumpy one :-) and every bump I hit I would hear a rattle down near my knees. It got so annoying that I stopped at a rest area and got out to look under there. I stuck my hand up near the rattle and shook things around. The rattle stopped and I haven't heard it sense.....maybe this has something to do with the recall....thank goodness mine never fell out though!
  • jeepers12jeepers12 Member Posts: 2
    This same problem is posted separately under Jeep Liberty Poor Braking in Rain. Has anyone experienced skidding when stopping on wet roads. I have had all sorts of suggestions, but I know about oily road conditions, but I was not going at a high rate of speed when I stopped a couple of times but it skidded to a stop. Another instance was trying to make a sharp left turn on wet roads and it was not turning. Ended up straightening up and going on the left shoulder of the road that was in front of me - close call.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    yes, there have been crispy critters in some jeep rear-end accidents, and there were many in the chevy side-saddle tanks. astute legal work has kept chevy from recalling the trucks until they're too old and rusty to crush and recycle. the pinto almost got there, but that vehicle torched up too many times, and they were recalled. I think they put a shield over the gas tank if you brought the car in. BTW, jeepsters with hitches have the same issue that the pinto does in that the hitch makes a dandy can opener for the gas tank. our local TV investigators find there are shield plates from DC that a dealer can install over the gas tank. basically if you get enough time to get out and scuttle away from a vehicle before it torches up, history seems to say, ain't a safety issue any more.
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Yes this sucker sucks in wet weather, in just a little wetness, slid to the left on storrow drive in Boston while going around to the right. Hit a curve, but no damage, vehicle would not turn to straighten itself out at all. Haven't felt safe since. I'm wishing I had my mazda Tribute back, while build quality was poor it never lose it's grip with the road.

Have partially remedied the problems with top of the line Michelins, cross terrains, excellent tires, their talents are wasted on the Liberty.

If someone would ask me what's the best feature of the Liberty, I would answer my Michelin tires.
  • winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    maybe a dumb question, but were you in 4wd FT when you skidded? also do you have the limited slip differential option?
  • fivespeedfivespeed Member Posts: 42
    and the driver have alot to do with skiding on wet pavement....for any vehicle..without abs
  • basepro09basepro09 Member Posts: 91
    I've never had a problem with skidding in wet weather. I don't know how you guys are driving, but I tried making it skid out and lay some rubber, let's just say it took a lot to do so. I think that if you're just careful when you're driving in the rain you'll be fine. It's just like that in any vehicle, the same with the rollover and the backing up crash test. I'd say it's atleast 75% driver and 25% vehicle if not more driver responsibility.

Matt
  • libertyowner2libertyowner2 Member Posts: 3
    Remember me. I now have about 7000 miles on my Liberty. It's been in the shop a total of 4 times for the same problem, vibration in the steering wheel. Please read previous messages for details. There is still a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. It is mild, but I can see my hand vibrating when I put my hand on the steering wheel. Also, I have noticed that the engine has missed a couple times. I can't duplicate the problem though. Actually, this morning, I was almost in an accident. It was not raining, but had been a little bit. I was pulling onto an onramp, going about 15 miles per hour and I started skidding. I left off the gas and the brake and it slid for a little bit and came to a stop. I was on a hill. I gave it a little gas and it spun up the hill. It was a very close call, lots of cars behind me. And yet another problem. The lights on my dash board (mileage reading and radio) get really bright and then go dim really fast when I have the lights on. Very strange stuff. I am scared of my Liberty. I do not feel safe in it after all the problems I've had with it. Still debating on doing the Lemon Law.
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    I posted something about the skidding but I'm going to move it to the specific topic instead.
  • klbrmbklbrmb Member Posts: 41
    If you pursue the lemon law I suggest you see a lawyer. I had a Pontiac Grand Am 2000 and it was nothing but trouble from day one (water leak 3 times and then electrical problems in the fuse box area). I went through every avenue available and finally got to a point that the dealership nor Pontiac would return my calls. Unless you have a lawyer you will probably end up with the same result.

Good Luck.
    My family used to own a 92 Jeep Cherokee and it was rear ended twice. The first time around 35 mph and the second was around 20 mph and it was sandwiched between two trucks. The worst thing that happened was the steering was never the same. I drove it until it had 102,000 and never had a problem besides basic maintenance.
  • rvbrokerrvbroker Member Posts: 22
    I can't believe how paranoid some folks are. Are you afraid to leave your home each day as you live in constant fear??? Wake up and live in the real world. Stuff happens! You cannot be in control of every possible event that MAY or may not happen. Remember September 11th. The Liberty is by far one of the better vehicles made today. Sure, it is overweight but that indicates to me that it has substance and not all plastic. If you drive it aggressively like a sports car and it rolls over, perhaps you will learn a lesson in physics and common sense. If you think that you can hedge against all possible road hazards and scenarios, perhaps you are on the wrong planet or need to locate a Sherman tank instead of a SUV. Get real! The hype just sells magazines.
  • mcgilliggymcgilliggy Member Posts: 1
    i read about the rattling from underneath in a message earlier. i'm also hearing a rattling noise on city streets when my front tires go over small, minor bumps. was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what was done, if anything. planning to call the dealer this week. otherwise, i've had mine for 2200 miles and i'm diggin' my liberty and no other problems.
  • jbassocjbassoc Member Posts: 7
    After 2yrs finally got my GMC Jimmy repurchased.. Had to use a lawyer. Forget BBB its fixed. If you are in calif/nevada I can recommend a good lawyer who has an excellent technical consultant.. I was looking at the Liberty as a replacement for the GMC. No longer. Don't forget to send your complaint to NHTSA (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/)
  • donweilerdonweiler Member Posts: 5
    I rented a Liberty Sport 4x4 for a tour of Arizona. Picked it up at 5,500 miles, drove it for 1,450 more. Mostly highway crusing, mix of desert and mountain, 200+ dirt or graded roads. Overall milage 17.9. Only two minor problems. Developed squeak in rear suspension, suspect shock absorber during compression. "Humming/whinning like" wind noise around front passenge window (closed) in left cross-wind. Overall very pleased
  • rvbrokerrvbroker Member Posts: 22
    My Limited developed the same noise around 3,000 miles. It currently has 4,500 miles. First visit to dealer did not solve the problem. They adjusted the front skid plate but this did not solve the problem. Noise not noticable on highway...just around town. After many test drives with the service manager we could not determine if the noise was coming from the front or rear. I was guessing that the shocks or shock bushings were bad. Finally, they attached a "mechanic's electronic ear" to the frame and test drove the truck. Supposedily it detects sounds not audible by the natural ear. It has a wire that connects the devise to a headset while the mechanic test drives. They determined that a bushing on the upper or lower contol arm on the front passenger side was the culprit. Part is on order and waiting for the fix. I still think it is in the shocks. Will post again after next visit to dealer. Not a safety issue, just an annoyance. Otherwise, a great vehicle.
  • dewumpydewumpy Member Posts: 17
    I took my Liberty to the dealer on Saturday for an oil change and to check the rattle. They ordered a new front left strut (which is where I thought the noise was coming from in the first place.) They also "repositioned the rear skid plate". Also took care of the recalled panel.

On a different note: the dealership did not have any oil filters for the oil change. Supposedly, the dealership called everyone who was scheduled for an oil change to cancel. Needless to say, I did not get a call. Dealership problem over car problem, though. Did not make me happy that I could not get the service I requested, though.

Liberty has more than 8000 miles so far. I still love it!
  • mad0865mad0865 Member Posts: 176
    Got my 1st oil change about a month ago, brought it to a local place that I deal with; they ended up getting the filter from the dealership because no one had the part necessary.
  • thecoachthecoach Member Posts: 2
    For those of you who posted Skidding Problems: I am curious as to what type and size tires are on your Liberty. I am in the process of buying either a Liberty or Xterra and am very concerned about tires and how they may contribute to a skid.
    Well I live in Northern OH and it has been raining here since yesterday. I have a Patriot Blue Limited. I don't have ABS. The only time I have skidded is when I was not paying attention. As long as I don't slam on the brakes and drive with care I have had no problems. I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you. The Jeep is a large heavy auto and it should been given the respect it deserves and driven carefully. It is not a car and will not react like one whether you have ABS, certain tires, or what not.
  • curtc1curtc1 Member Posts: 3
    Not sure we are all talking about the same rattle. Mine was a dull rattle sounding underneath in the rear, most noticeable at low (city street) speeds. Dealer said rear shocks were the problem, and reported hearing of other Liberty's having same problem. Rear shocks were replaced yesterday. No more rattle.

Those of you who have rattle up front -- does it sort of sound like a tambourine in your front wheels? If so, check the hub cap in the center of your wheel (the small round cap cover in the very center of your wheel). Mine were loose and caused a tambourine sound at low speeds and light bumps. Pry it off, bend the tension tabs open a bit and snap it back in place. No more tambourine. This is not a Liberty only problem; I have had the same thing with previous jeep models with similar hub caps.
  • lilshuglilshug Member Posts: 12
    Putting my Liberty in 4wd and slowing down has helped my skidding problem tremedously. I think most of the problem lay in that I really didn't realize how heavy this vehicle actually is. However, I must admit I am looking into getting tires with a better tread. Someone had mentioned (I believe it was on the Liberty Skidding board) that aquatread tires had worked well for them. I just wonder how those tires handle ice and snow.
    Lilshug; while the Aguatreds are good for rain, I don't know how they are in snow. Just do your research. And yes, even in light rain, dropping the Liberty into 4x4Full will give much better traction. I was testing it at the work parking lot, and I couldn't break traction on the wet pavement. Good luck, tread lightly.
  • spoonjeepspoonjeep Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have had our Liberty for 3 weeks, we just got it out of the shop for an electrical / module problem.

I went out last Friday to go to work and pushed the unlock button on my keyless entry. It didn't unlock, I thought this was rather strange and that the battery might be dead in the keyless entry thing. When I unlocked the door I looked at the odometer and noticed no lights there. I turned the key and it started to my surprise. I turned on the windshield wipers and nothing happened. I turned on the headlights and nothing happened. I looked at the computer stuff and totally blank. Even the speedometer didn't move.

I checked a few fuses but they all checked out fine. I called the dealership and they had me bring it in.

I explained the problem to them and they acted like they had never heard of this one. I ended up getting a rental car. They called me on Wednesday this week and told me it was ready to pick up. I asked what had happened and a computer control module had went out. They had to order the part in. I made arrangements for them to leave the Liberty outside for me to pick up after hours.

I arrived and checked the lights, wipers etc... all good. Took it for a quick test drive and the computer, speedometer and odometer where still not working. Luckily someone was still there and they plugged it into the computer and nothing came up. They needed to keep it 1 more night.

Come to find out they needed to program the tire size into the computer.

Just and FYI to all.

Still love the Liberty though!
  • znail25znail25 Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone found an aftermarket replacement oil filter for the liberty yet? (fram, K&N,)If so what brand or part number?
    Thanks
    Karl
  • charlesb_lacharlesb_la Member Posts: 37
    On the Purolator site I found the following numbers:

PureONE Filter PL20195
    Oil Filter(Premium Plus) L20195
    Air Filter A35414

I cut open a MOPAR filter and it seems to be a Purolator Premium Plus, since it has "the string".

I called Mobil and the Mobil1 filter number is M1-209. From personal experience I would never touch a Fram filter, a a repackaged Fram, again.

Have you tried to change your own oil yet? I have the skid plate package and it's almost impossible for me to get to the oil filter without taking things off. Anyone have any tips or tricks?
  • bskohlerbskohler Member Posts: 53
    You know the sun visor labels that warn SUV owners that such vehicles don’t handle like cars in emergency maneuvers? AutoWeek contributing editor and test-track driver Pete Albrecht experienced firsthand the seriousness of that warning on Oct. 16. He was driving a Jeep Liberty in a slalom test when it rolled over twice, landing back on its wheels.

The Liberty was bent on almost every body panel; Albrecht suffered cuts to his hands and still has a sore neck a month later.

Our slalom was not designed to induce a rollover, or even test for one,” said AutoWeek’s Detroit-based Road Test Editor Natalie Neff. “Its aim is to evaluate handling characteristics, especially in transitions. Typically, we find the limit when we hit a cone or spin out. We didn’t set out to roll the Jeep.”

more at http://www.autoweek.com

• soulfingersoulfinger Member Posts: 64
    Well, my first question was, Why are we hearing about an October crash in mid-December? But the full article is fairly well balanced, and AutoWeek showed commendable restraint in not rushing some sensational scare story into print the next day. Thanks for the link. I'll remember not to drive my Liberty at 40 mph through a slalom course. I'll tell you what, though, it handles great at 70 mph on the freeway, and I've had it up to 55 mph on dirt and it does just fine there, too. Lucky for me I don't own any orange cones. I'm not sure this really qualifies as a Liberty "problem," though. Even the AutoWeek folks admit they weren't driving the Liberty the way it is intended to be driven. Rather than scare people, this ought to be a healthy warning to anyone who doesn't understand SUVs: "Use as directed."
  • scottw4scottw4 Member Posts: 15
    The Auto Week story was linked here a while ago. Auto Week later retested the Liberty after the rollover crash and found similar handling issues, like going up on two wheels. They have pictures of the Liberty on two wheels as well as the crashed one on their web site.

What is new is there is aother magazine that did their normal round of testing, independent of Auto Week, and also found issues with the Liberty's handling in their test. The info was posted one of the Liberty board.

That magazine also got the Liberty up on to two wheels.
  • jeepers12jeepers12 Member Posts: 2
    Good luck!!!
    a few suggestions:
    1> Put a l arge piece of cardboard under the engine area (2ft. x 3ft) before starting
    2> Purchase a oil filter wrench that grips the END of the oil filter & attaches to a ratchet wrench (v/s the kind that wraps around the filter).
    3> When attaching the filter wrench you can 'peek' through the small hole in the skid pan to see what you're doing.
    4> After the oil filter is loose AND BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT place the oil bucket UNDER THE CENTER HOLE IN THE SKID PAN (not your face)!!
    5> When the oil starts to drip it WILL NOT be under the filter as you would expect, rather at the center opening in the skid pan. Jeep installed a "V" shaped tray under the filter to the skid pan opening.
    ******** REMINDER ********
    Don't be under the skid pan when the oil starts to drain unless you have new clothes & lot's of shampoo!!!!!

Yours truly,
    Oil in the face.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ******** REMINDER ********
    Don't be under the skid pan when the oil starts to drain unless you have new clothes & lot's of shampoo!!!!!

Excellent advice!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • charlesb_lacharlesb_la Member Posts: 37
    thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll wear a showercap too :-)
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    I've had a CRV, Explorer, and a Tribute, by far and away the Liberty that I now have is the most unsafe. Skidding, poor braking, escessively bouncy ride. Piss poor gas mileage, especially on the highway. Build quality however is pretty good. If I had to choice from all the above again I would go with the CRV.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    bj02176,

Poor would have done nicely or very poor and possibly pathetically poor.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    You have had a CR-V, Explorer, Tribute AND a Liberty? How often do you buy a new vehicle?
  • gypsy116gypsy116 Member Posts: 53
    I have to say despite the potential for a rollover in extreme and rare cases, I feel 100% safe in my Liberty. I live in Upstate New York and we have seen the snow and the ice covered roads within the past two weeks. I did not experience any skidding or braking problems. I haven't even had the ABS kick in yet. As for the bouncing ride... ever own a Jeep before or at least been a passenger in one. Personally I am use to being in a Wrangler Sahara Edition on and off-road. Now that is a bumpy ride. The Liberty is not a car and will not absorb the bumps like a car or like the SUV that are made to "ride like a car". However... I think the ride is very smooth and compare to other Jeeps the Liberty is the best at absorbing those bumps. The gas milage.. well it is poor especially if you compare it with a 4cyl. vehicle or with a vehicle that doesn't have the power this one does. As I recall the dealer sticker tell you what you can expect as the gas milage. This is one area that can be considered... what you see is what you get. Do you drive in 4wd all the time? If that is the case.. well then of course your gas milage is going to poor.

Anyways.. I am complete happy with my Liberty and have not seen any troubles except for my accident last weekend.
  • mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    Did you test drive? Jeesh!
    Thanks Mellis, was going to say the same exact thing. That's what a test drive is for, to "feel" out the vehicle before purchasing it. A CRV, Explorer and a Tribute? What was wrong with those vehicles that you decided to purchase a Liberty? Skidding? I have yet to break traction on this truck, even in the rain. Braking? Do you tail gate? You blew it when you mentioned that you had 3 other SUV's before this one. Maybe you should be driving a minivan or a 4door sedan instead.
This discussion has been closed.