Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jrs7jrs7 Member Posts: 12
    Boy I don't know what Liberty you have been driving. I have 5000 miles on mine driven in Northern Ohio and western Massachusetts including rough dirt roads, suburbs and freeway. The Liberty is a beautifully built well-handling truck. The braking is good for a 2 ton vehicle as is the ride. I have not skidded despite very foul weather. Notice I say truck because it really is a 2 ton truck not a Honda car (which the CRV is).
    Only problem (this is a problem column) has been a squeaky turn signal multi function switch. They replaced it but it still squeaks very slightly on left turns. If this is all I will have to deal with I'm happy. It sure beats 3 valve jobs on a Toyotal corolla I had in the past.
  • psu93psu93 Member Posts: 5
    Hi there! The new Liberty Sport I ordered just arrived at the dealership on Friday, and of course I was right there to pick it up on Saturday (what an awesome Christmas present!). Everything has been great so far, but I noticed that when I open the front passenger side window it has almost a dull scraping sound when it goes down; it doesn't make any noise going back up. Do you think this is just because the Jeep is new or should I have it checked out?

P.S. I love this vehicle! It handles and rides much better than the '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo I traded in.
  • dewumpydewumpy Member Posts: 17
    Hello all,
    I took my Liberty in for an oil change and to have the part replaced that was ordered (the front left strut/shock absorber.) Very pleased: no more rattle! Quiet ride and great drive!

9000 miles and still loving my Liberty!
  • joeyd27joeyd27 Member Posts: 1
    Maybe I'm the only one who is bothered by this. When I have the heat on the floor setting some air still comes out of the defroster. It's enough that my face gets really hot and my legs are cold and my eyes dry out. I took it in and they said it is normal, some air is suppose to come out of the defroster at all times. Seems like a little too much to me. Anyone else have this problem?
  • rvbrokerrvbroker Member Posts: 22
    After a couple trips to the dealership and misdiagnosed, they found that the right front strut was bad. They replaced it and the noise is finally gone. Hurray!
  • dzanone1dzanone1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi. I had written in at the beginning of this discussion with a problem with front alignment. Well it was still doing it second time into the shop at 7000 miles and the dealer said the problem was the tires. He moved one to the back and the pull went away. Took it to Goodyear, they said the tires are fine put it back on the front and it pulls dead right again. ARRgh. Any one else with tire troubles? Also, first snow storm, no abs brakes and did skid but after slowing it down and taking my time have not had a reoccurence. This is a very heavy vehicle and I think that if you are not used to giving yourself enough time you will skid. dz
  • colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    I am the GM for a large Dealership which carries most of Jeep's competitive brands. I gotta tell you, nothing beats it. In fact, I bought one for my wife. What does that tell you? Out of everything I sell, I bought a Liberty for my wife to drive.

All you naysayers are right though, it doesn't get the best mileage. BUT that's because it isn't some 4 banger, little car with a lift kit (CRV etc.)that bogs down when 4 people pile in. Amazingly enough it will tow the same about as a F-150. Yeah, it also doesn't corner as well as a sports car through a shortened slalom and higher speed. Amazing statistic isn't it? I bought it because nothing out there matches it's capability, headroom, trailer tow capacity, value (heated seats and a $1000 of accessories for $25k) or the fact that looks better than anything out there. Talk about a Home Run Vehicle.
  • gypsy116gypsy116 Member Posts: 53
    I just got my baby back from the body shop and when I was starting to drive I noticed that when I made a turn there is this loud almost screeching sound. I thought maybe because it sat in the lot for 2 weeks and in the snow, plus I was in full-time four wheel drive. So I figured maybe it just needs to be driven a bit and the sound will go away. I was wrong. The noise is very annoying and I don't remember it being there before. Does anyone know what sound I am referring to? As long as I keep the wheel straight there is no screech but when I turn the wheel just a bit the noise is heard. It is almost embarassing. Please help.... I would like to tell the dealer what to specifically to look at.
    ----gypsy---
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    dz:

I don't have a Liberty (my aunt & uncle do - so I check in on this forum.)

I had a similar experience with my 92 Continental. I went to a local tire shop to replace all of the tires. They did and said that one of them needed a lot of "weight" on the rim to make it balance correctly - he suggested that the rim might be bent.

I then proceeded to another business to have a 4-wheel alignment done - since the car was pulling to the right. After the alignment - I noticed that the "PULL" to the right was STILL THERE! I went directly to the tire shop and they rotated front to back and PRESTO - the Pull was gone.

Well, I could never put that tire on the front, because of the "bent rim."

25,000 miles later I began to notice a shimmy at higher speeds (during passing or interstate travel) and during braking (thought my rotors were going.)

Took it to the tire shop and finally realized that the tire was the problem since the beginning. It must have been made with a bad belt, because it had actually worn low and high spots on the tread. (The rim was almost perfect when we balanced it alone.)

So, my guess is a tire with a bad belt - but who knows... I would definitely get it checked out again. (don't wait as long as I did.)
  • larry51klarry51k Member Posts: 35
    I live in Buffalo, NY where winter wiper blades are useful! I purchased an 18" blade I thought would fit (nothing in the wiper blade books pertaining to the Liberty). When I went to install it I found that the drivers wiper has a wind deflector attached to it. Didn't know how or if I could attached the new blade. Has anyone tried to replace this part or know of where to buy the proper winter blade for my Liberty?
  • dzanone1dzanone1 Member Posts: 8
    thanks for the advice. It is still pulling and I have made Good Year order me another tire which I will have replaced. I'll keep you posted if this fixes my problem. DZ
  • kittelkittel Member Posts: 11
    I have had my Liberty Limited for about a month and have approx. 1000 miles on it. This has the 3.7 engine and as I found out later a 3.73 rear end, and that is the only way you can get it. Fuel economy will average between 13 and 16 and to get 16 you have to drive strictly on the highway. Not very good for a small vehicle with a V-6. I think the first option that should be added is a lower rear end, something like a 3.43. Fuel economy will kill sales unless Jeep decides to correct the problem as soon as possible. Fuel economy aside, this is a great vehicle. Very quiet, roomy, comfortable and all the options for a very reasonable price.
  • soulfingersoulfinger Member Posts: 64
    Kittel - You've only got 1,000 miles on it. Give it some time and you might find the mpg improves a bit. You might also take a look at your driving style as a factor in your low gas mileage, unless you're towing a boat or something. I've got 6,000 miles on my limited and get right around 18 mpg on a fairly even split between freeway and city driving. I think highway-only driving would put me at about 20 mpg. It's worth remembering that this "small" vehicle weighs 2 tons. We both knew the gas mileage wasn't great when we bought our trucks. So I don't see that harming sales any. It didn't stop us. -- Paul
  • mad0865mad0865 Member Posts: 176
    Have about 6500 miles on this wonderful truck, get about 20-22 on highway, 17-18 city. It was slow to realize the mpg change from when I first got it, but you really have to give the engine time to "learn" how you are trying. I admit, it likes to suck the fuel out, but with careful driving your mpg should rise. Like the previous post stated, not only is this a truck, it's a heavy truck. Good luck.
    By the way, I don't think this really consitutes as a "Jeep Liberty" problem. You might want to post this in the regular forum to get more opinions on this.
    I just drove to Seattle and back and here are the mileages that I got on the Freeway with the cruise on.

60----21MPG
    65----20MPG
    75----18MPG

I think that it gets great mileage, especially for a heavy duty truck motor.
  • kittelkittel Member Posts: 11
    soulfinger: I have been getting the line from Chrysler and the dealer, this is a new engine design, it needs 5000 to 10000 miles to improve, it needs a break in period. I also have a 2002 T & C van with a 3.8 engine. This was a new engine last year and I am getting between 23 and 25 miles to gallon. This has 1500 miles on it and the mileage is now what it will always be, based on passed experiences. I think that Chrysler could make a big improvement just by offering a lower rear end. This would be especially helpful if you never intended to tow with your Liberty. As I stated before I think this is a fantastic vehicle, but I know full size trucks with V-8s do better on mileage. This does seem to be a problem with all Chrysler vehicles.
  • tfaretfare Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Liberty since September. I love my Jeep, however I hear an annoying rattle whenever I drive over any bump (large or small)at slow to moderate speeds. When I brought it in for it's first oil change and recall repair, I mentioned this to the service department. At the end of the day the stated they "could not replicate" the rattle. With the rattle sounding very obvious to me, I brought the Jeep to the service department and waited for them to diagnose. I suggested perhaps the right front strut.(Thank you rvbroker). Service department agreed, ordered part, replaced part. Rattle continued. Switched struts out (right to left). Still rattled! They reported putting some listening device on and still cannot find the source. It's the end of the day and I have to pick up my Liberty that still rattles! Please help!
  • jeffkieljeffkiel Member Posts: 48
    My 4WD Ltd has about 950 miles on it and I have pretty consistently gotten 18.5 with about a 60-40 split HWY/City, including some 4wd driving in the snow. Based on the instantaneous mileage estimates in the computer, I will probably get 21 or so driving 65-70 on the highway, and I am pleased.
  • znail25znail25 Member Posts: 12
    About that damn rattle noise. This is going to sound funny but I had a rattle that I don't know were it was coming from. It sounded like it was coming from outside of the car every time I hit a bump or even when backing up then shifting into drive and taking off, I would hear this noise. This is what I found. I was cleaning the back seat out and I heard the exact same noise even when the car was off and in park just sitting there. It turned out that while I was cleaning the back seat out I would bump the rear seat belt shoulder strap. The little metal piece that hangs on the shoulder strap next to the door (when not in use) was turned over and would hit the plastic right under the shoulder strap whenever I would hit a bump. Well, I secured the little metal piece of the seat belt so it wouldn't hit the plastic and that "NOISE" is gone.
    I know it sounds ridiculous.
    Maybe this is worth a shot.
    Hope I could help.
    Let me know if that was it
  • whitetekwhitetek Member Posts: 32
    I love my Jeep too, but I too experience this annoying rattle that seems to come from the rear of the vehicle. It also sounds like it's coming from the outside. I guess the best way to describe it is that it sounds as if the muffler were loose and vibrating against the underneath of the truck. It's kind of a hollow sound. I experience it at different speeds and even sometimes when backing out of the driveway(no bumps there). I too am due to take it in for an oil change(almost 6000 miles on it) and I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what the outcome was. Other than this rattle, the Liberty has been near perfect.
  • cdkelly23cdkelly23 Member Posts: 52
    This is purely a guess and speculation (okay, today's my day to be redundant), but could the rattle possibly be the spare tire on the back? Perhaps one of lug nuts is loose? Or it may be vibrating? Perhaps the zipper on the cover may be against the door?

It might be worth a shot to check the lugs to make sure the tire is secure, and nothing is touching the door.
  • newlibownernewlibowner Member Posts: 1
    I've also experienced the rattle which turned out to be the front struts. Both were replaced with a positive result of no rattles. It's been almost a month now and the rattles have not resurfaced.
  • rvbrokerrvbroker Member Posts: 22
    After much head scratching and many road test, the rattle on my Liberty turned out to be the right front strut. On others, it may be the left side. On an earlier post, a fellow had his rear shocks replaced and the rattle disappeared.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to pin point just where the noise is coming from when in the driver's seat. Your dealer can surely pull up information on his computer that will reveal problems that other owners (anywhere in the Chrysler network)have had repaired. For example, the strut replacement on my Liberty is documented on their database. This can be helpful for a service manager to view and give himself/herself some insight as to what to look for. Remember...we are the first generation of Liberty owners and they are still a mystery to the mechanics.

We have had many vehicles throughout our years as we are in our early 50's, including 2 Mercedes, and my wife seems to love the quality and "feel" of her Liberty more than any of the previous vehicles. I get to drive it to the dealer for service work.

If you want to really turn some heads, add the chrome front grill for $150. SHARP!
  • sdawson713sdawson713 Member Posts: 34
    I have always liked Jeeps. My parents got 200k out of a Cherokee (given it had to have 4 clutches, but what can you do, right?)

I love the styling of the new Liberty. The thing looks great. Maybe I'm biased as a Nissan salesman, but there's a few reasons i would never buy one...

A. The gas tank is right behind the rear bumper. Can you say Pinto? There's a reason the spare is on the back door.

B. The air intake is right above the grill, and just under the hood. There is nothing to stop rain from coming in.

C. Autoweek got it to roll over twice in a regular slalom test.

If Jeep would take care of those problems and prove the reliability, they would have so much more market share. After all, its a great looking vehicle with a great peppy engine.

Just my two cents.

Sid
    A. The gas tank is right behind the rear bumper. Can you say Pinto? There's a reason the spare is on the back door.
    -Actually, it's not. It sits farther up. Also, if you get hit from behind in a car, you will hit the bumper and not the gas tank. If you get hit from a Chevy Suburban from behind, then I'm sure the tail gate will cave in, like the results of the crash test. Not an explosion.

B. The air intake is right above the grill, and just under the hood. There is nothing to stop rain from coming in.
    -Funny, but it's rated to be able to go through 20 inches of water.

C. Autoweek got it to roll over twice in a regular slalom test.
    -Autoweek subjected the Liberty to a "car" test. It's not a car, it's a truck. Drive it like a truck, and you won't flip over.

Of course your Nissan salesman is going to tell you these things. He wants you to buy a Nissan. He'll use anything he can to keep you in the showroom, that's his job. Purchase what you want, and hope your happy with it.
    MAD0865, you beat me to the punch. I thought your response to the Nissan salesman was right on the mark on all points.

I love this vehicle. I also realize it's not the same as driving the Pontiac Grand Prix I traded in for the Liberty. So, I can't drive it as though it's a car, or it will roll over. I don't need some magazine to tell me that.

It is a truck. That's why I bought the Liberty.
  • yspysp Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced stalling(engine stopping) when parking or when in reverse?

I have taken it to the service dept. but they can not find any problems with it. At least none that registered in their computers.

I have had my jeep since august 2001 and have experienced this at least 6 times.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
  • xtredxtred Member Posts: 2
    According to all the documentation I've seen the Liberty has a 18.5 gal fuel tank. I've had mine for about 1000 miles now and the other day I noticed my Distance to Empty on the OH Computer said I had 75 miles to go and a little while later my low fuel light came on. I figured I'd push it to get to work on time. About 5 miles away my DTE said 0 miles, my fuel gage was on empty and like I said the low fuel light had been on for a while. I made it to work and at lunch went to get gas and figured it was basically empty. The problem is I put in only 13.5 gallons. I checked the manual once again to make sure I wasn't mistaken. Since then it has followed suit. Last night the DTE read 54 miles so I got gas, 12.5 gallons. My average milage was 17.6 and the trip odometer said 216 miles. Both of these are correct doing the math, but the DTE should have been around 100 or so. What's up with this. I paid $250 for the OH computer and the DTE feature was the main reason (my wife's car has it). So do I have 5 gallons left or did I get a small tank?
  • jeffkieljeffkiel Member Posts: 48
    I too have found that it reads "empty" with about 3 gallons left. My guess is that there is some standard that says "tell the user they are empty when they have about 60 miles left".
    Thanks for the replies on the rattle problem. I will suggest a possible strut replacement when I take my Liberty in on Wednesday and go from there. I have checked my spare tire and it is securely bolted to the back. Thanks for the suggestion though cdkelly23.
  • dewumpydewumpy Member Posts: 17
    Another possible solution to the rattle problem: I had a rattle a while back (posted previuosly) and the dealership replaced the left front strut. They also "repositioned the rear skid plate". If you have the off road package with the skid plates, you might ask the service department to check them. My husband could hear the rattle in the back, and I could only hear the rattle in the front. We were both right. Hope this helps.
  • gmlover1gmlover1 Member Posts: 60
    Remember one thing electric fuel pumps need a certain amount of gas to stay cool, it's not a good idea to run them to low.
    I took my Liberty to the dealership on Wednesday and they found the rattle in a problem with the rear shocks. They ordered them and will be in soon. Hope this fixes the rattle. I will let you know the outcome when it's fixed. They should be in in the next couple of days.
    Xterras ride like a tank...
    Handle like a Kenworth...
    Feel Cheaper than Daewoo...
    Have the room of a Civic...
    The roof rack capacity of a Civic (150lbs even with the huge tubing...)
    To fold the rear seat down you have to dispose of the bottom cusion (which is 4 oz of foam for the entire cusion!...)
    For the money you spend, you get much much more with the Liberty...
    Jeep People are nicer, friendlier people...
    Owning a Jeep really is something special...
    Stying of the Xterra is "awful and cheap looking"...

I am a Jeep salesman who just bought a Liberty for my wife.

The air cleaner is designed to work even when it is full of water. There are drainage holes in the bottom under the filter to allow excess water to drain.
  • sdawson713sdawson713 Member Posts: 34
    Thats an interesting post. I actually like the Liberty. Its a shame that its a Jeep. Its looks good, and it drives well. But anyways, let me address your concerns about the Xterra.

1. Xterras ride like a tank...
    They may ride a bit stiff, but that's because they are a truck. Its designed to be an off road vehicle. Thats why skid plates are standard, not and option.

2. Have the room of a Civic...
    Wow. Thats a tough one. Let me see, last time i checked, Xterras have about 20 more cubic feet of cargo space than a Liberty. You won't even need to fold the seats down, most likely. If the Xterra is a Civic, the Liberty is a Yugo.

3. Owning a Jeep really is something special....
    I hope you guys give a tour of the service department at delivery. Because thats where you will be. You dont see a message board called "Xterra problems" with 235 posts. Consumer Reports never said, and I quote, "Reliability is among the worst we've ever seen," about a Nissan. I guess its special if you make friends with a service advisor. I guess the "cheaper than Daewoo" Xterras hold up a little better.

But, when you're not at the service department, or rolling over, or thinking about whether or not your truck will blow up if you get rear-ended, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
    You brag about a Nissan, and have the audacity to criticize Jeep? I'll venture to say you don't know what you are talking about.

Jeep has a very loyal customer base. People who buy one Jeep after another do so for a reason. And that reason isn't because they like going to the Service Department. It's because Jeeps are special.

Sounds as though you had a bad experience with a Jeep. Could it be that you simply don't know how to take care of a vehicle? You pound it and pound it, then wonder why it breaks down?

I find it humorous that you claim Nissan (LOL Nissan!!!) is a more reliable car or SUV than a Jeep. I had the misfortune of owning a Nissan once. Worst car I've ever owned. I vowed to never drive a Nissan product again. It was in the shop more than on the road.

Your "Liberty is a Yugo" comment simply reveals you as someone who doesn't know what you're talking about.

Comparing a Nissan to a Jeep is like comparing Mario Mendoza to Mickey Mantle. Compared to a Nissan, the Jeep is head and shoulders better and much more reliable.
    I have actually had people mistake used Xterras on our lot for a Kia or new Daewoo. Especially when the rear seat cusion can be used for an air matress. A huge roof rack that can't hold as much as a Kia's? One that you have to disassemble to open the sunroof?

Reliability is one thing you mentioned that is really funny. I really can't tell you how many Jeeps I have seen with 100,200,300,400 thousand miles of hard...let me change that...sever work. They just keep going. You are talking to the wrong guy about reliability. Now, I am not knocking Nissan. I am a Pathfinder fan somewhat, in fact it is the only SUV that beats the Grand Cherokee in reliability (JD Power).

Keep your Daewoo/Kia looking, cheesy cheap Hyundai Santa Fe wanna-be X-terra. I'll stick with decades of experience and 200,000 miles from now we'll talk.
    And it was the most UNcomfortable vehicle I ever drove, besides the fact that it had lame pickup and awful gas mileage. How can you even compare the two? Does the Xterra have a 210 hp engine?(at the time, I didn't test drive the supercharged version, because you can't even touch one for 27,000), Does the xterra have fulltime 4x4? Nope., have to drive it in 4x4hi during foul weather, but don't drive it on pavement without snow or you'll bind the driveshaft. C'mon, you can't even compare the two vehicles!
  • canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    is not a measure of reliability but a measure of INITIAL quality (ie the first few months or ownership)

THE JGC can be hardly considered one of the most reliable SUV's.
  • gwnrobgwnrob Member Posts: 1
    The problem lies with one of their dealerships and/or DaimlerChrysler. I have been stalled, lied to, and brushed off so much that I no longer know who is at fault. The dealership has had my Jeep for FORTY-FIVE days at the time of writing because they are unable? to get parts. I was in a minor accident and the jeep needed work on the front right side (bumper and fender).

I have been told by the dealership that the work was being held up by the inability of Daimler Chrysler to supply the proper documentation to order the parts. Apparently in the parts manual there are some parts missing/or not shown that were needed to repair the vehicle according to the auto body service people. In addition to the problems blamed on Daimler Chrysler, there is the problem of dealer. I have been lied to by the dealership about the fact that the parts were all in and ready to install and this was three weeks ago. At that time they were waiting for only a fog light they said.

I have spoken to the people that are jokingly referred to as Daimler Chrysler CUSTOMER SERVICE people to no avail. The first person I spoke to "investigated" and found "the part" was on order and that was all he had to say about that other than there was a "reorganization" of parts suppliers over the holidays, and that might be one of the causes of the delay. It didn't matter apparently that the dealership had LIED to me and probably still is about the parts for the vehicle. I felt that I received the brush off from this man. His response regarding the service from the DAIMLERCHRYSLER dealer was that I should "take it up with the dealer".

Daimler Chrysler has since said that they don't have enough parts available for this vehicle. I have never been told that by the dealership though.

I have found that contrary to the high-faluting stuff V.P. of Sales and Service Patrick Dougherty writes in the Daimler Chrysler "OWNERSHIP PORTFOLIO" such as "customer service should be based on integrity, respect, and commitment", and "your neighborhood Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep dealer is dedicated to serving you EXPERTLY AND EFFICIENTLY", actual service and satisfaction from Daimler Chrysler and their representatives is nonexistant.

I have also experienced a number the skidding that has been talked about in the other threads on wet and dry. As well, the front left strut was replaced. There was a sort of rattle that seemed to be under the dash/winshield that signaled this.

Rob Simmons
    Can we end this Xterra discussion, or take it elsewhere? This is not remotely a Liberty problem. Our Nissan lover is simply trying to bump up the number of posts here to make the Liberty look bad to potential Nissan buyers who can count but not read. If you feel the need to reply, please do it on the regular Liberty board. Thanks.
    Well, I took my Liberty to the dealership today to have the rear shocks replaced to correct the rattle I was hearing from the rear of the Liberty. Problem solved! No more rattle and back to solid, quiet driving!
  • prisonchicprisonchic Member Posts: 1
    I'm a single mother with concerns regarding safety and reliablity. I'm looking at the Jeep Liberty. Can anyone help me with these issues?
    The Liberty's long-term reliability is undetermined. Initial build quality has been excellent. I have had no problems with mine and have about 7,000 miles on it. Not even a rattle or squeak, despite several hundred miles of driving on rough dirt roads. A lot of people will warn you away from Jeep because the Grand Cherokee's launch was plagued with problems. But there is no sign of any trouble on that scale with the Liberty. Recalls have been few and relatively minor. Safety is another issue. Despite the Liberty's attractive (some would say "cute") styling, it is a truck. It is tall and top-heavy, and it doesn't handle like a car. If I recall correctly, the crash tests that have been done so far have mostly yielded fair to poor results -- very typical for a truck. Perhaps the best question to ask yourself is, what will I be using this vehicle for? If you don't plan to drive it off pavement and you just want something safe to get you from point A to point B, the Liberty really isn't for you and you might be better off with a car-based SUV or a minivan. For its size and weight, the Liberty handles well on pavement, but ride comfort and emergency handling just won't match what you can get from a car. I hope that helps.
  • zopszops Member Posts: 49
    Not much to say otehr than glad i bought VRc and not the liberty.
    I'm not sure I understand why you did, but good for you. People who purchase the Jeep Liberty know first hand it's a TRUCK, not a car based suv (aka, the CRV). You go offroad in a Liberty, you take snow covered roads in a CRV; two totally different vehicles.
  • znail25znail25 Member Posts: 12
    What's a VRc?
  • cheryl15cheryl15 Member Posts: 10
    Just remember that the Honda CR-V is a car, not a truck. Don't expect it to act like a truck.

I had a 1999 CR-V, liked it until I tried to use it for hauling the first time. With 2 adults and the back loaded with TV, clothes, and misc college stuff the Honda groaned the whole 200 miles to my son's campus. Next trip I took was with 4 friends for a day of clothes shopping. Same problem. And yes I did take it out of overdrive. I have never heard an engine complain so much.

I traded it for a 2002 Jeep Liberty. No more problem.
    I knew the Honda CR-V wasn't for me when the salesman opened the back, and pulled out the picnic table and the built-in ice cooler.

I wanted a truck-based SUV, so I purchased the Jeep Liberty. I'll let the soccer moms drive the CR-V and take their precious little kiddies on picnics. I'll stick with Jeep.
This discussion has been closed.