Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram

Comments

• ladyblueladyblue Posts: 326
    Sorry, maybe I used the wrong term. I was talking about the heavier towing capacity available. There are two or three levels (I don't remember exactly) for towing heavier loads. I could be mistaken, though. I still can't say the Dodge is a superior truck since this will be my first one, but I can say the my experience with the Dodge dealer was superior. They gave me exactly what I wanted and didn't "sweety" and "dearie" me to death. I did some research and they're giving me a fair price considering all the do-dads I'm having put in.

They also talked me out of taking the 15,000-mile-per-year lease and advised me to stick with the 12,000. Their reasoning: the higher mileage would add 3% to my lease payment, when it would be wiser to just put the extra cash in the bank every month. This way, at lease-end, I'd have the money to pay for any overage and if I didn't go over on the mileage, I'd have money in my pocket. The other way, I'd be paying for something I might not use and I can't get my money back for it. I may have found the first and only honest car dealers!
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    but what happens if you go over 12,000 miles? they usually nail you with a penalty if you do. Better know what the penalty is.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ladyblue,

Mileage is often cheaper purchased up front on a lease. In some cases, it's the difference between 8 cents per mile up front and 15 to 20 cpm at the lease end. Unless you can get decent interest on the money you put away, up-front mileage can sometimes be cheaper. Also, some leases can be written so that if you don't use the mileage you paid for up-front, that money is refunded to you.
    Thanks for the advice. You gave me some good questions to ask the dealer. Always looking to learn something new! Every penny counts.
  • panmanpanman Posts: 25
    Would anyone happen to know if Dodge has come up with any ideas about the molded splash guards with the tubular side steps? I have a quad cab with chrome tubular side steps. I want to install molded splash guards behind the front wheels to help protect the chrome and my truck. The molded splash guards (which are the Dodge recommended) won't work because the side steps extend too far into the wheel well. Is there something that has been done about this rather than install the flat, rubber splash guards?
  • I have been trying to get an answer for quite some time about the dodge v-10 and 5spd combo? Can anyone here help me? I was wondering what the gas mileage would roughly be with that combo and a 3.54 rear end. no towing or heavy duty to be expected. Please answer if you can help.

Sean Wolff
  • I was driving on the BW Parkway yesterday when I saw a step side truck that had a RAM profile. I know the new GMs seem to have a somewhat RAM profile, so I sped up to see if I could get a better look. Unfortunately, the truck took the exit almost as I pulled along side. I did catch the words RAMSide on the door panel of the truck. Can anyone give me more information on this truck?
  • I'm with jaghunter. I have a Ram 1500 1996.I bought it off the lot with only ten miles on it. I have done all scheduled maintenence on time. I have only towed with it once and have not done any heavy hauling with it. Well, now it has 67,000 miles on it and the transmission went out. Now the brain chip to the transmission is out. I would like some advice. Are the computer chips warrantied longer?? Should I write Dodge and complain?? I'm just angry because I'm a Dodge man, but I'm loosing faith fast.
  • An add-on to my last post: The transmission place that is doing the work says it looks like the faulty brain chip was sending intermitent ground and power signals. They say it could be why the transmission went out. Anybody out their have this problem??
  • Is it feasible to lower the height of a RAM 4x4 without damaging it's 4x4 capability and not just letting out the air in the tires?
    EdBed,

You can lower any 4x4, but not too much. The main reason is the same reason a lift kit costs so much money. You are changing the geometry of the suspension and the angles of the driveshafts, which are designed to be at a certain angle. As opposed to people who "slam" rear-wheel drive trucks, there's a lot less clearance under the engine when you have a front driveshaft, and it limits how much you can lower your truck without components coming in contact with each other during jounce and rebound.
  • jerryg4jerryg4 Posts: 13
    Hi! this is my first post. I have a 98 Ram 1500 Quad 2WD equipped with the 5.9, auto trans & 3.55 diff. I tow a 7000# trailer & get 7-9 mpg while towing. While not towing, I get 10 mpg city & 13 mpg highway. I am an easy driver and am dissappointed with the mileage. My dealer says my mileage is normal.Does anyone have any experience in this area that they would like to share? Thanks in advance.
  • mharde2mharde2 Posts: 278
    jerry, I had a 93 F150 5.8 auto 3.55 and towed a 7000# 5th wheel. Thats about the same figures I was getting...
    Now I'm getting worried.....reading through this and some other topics I keep seeing problems with the transmission and other things on the Ram. I just placed my order for a 99 Ram 1500 4x4 and I'm beginning to wonder if I should have stayed with Ford. The truck I've ordered has the 5.2 V-8 with automatic. I don't plan on doing any towing with it, if that makes a difference. But I do a lot of long-distance driving and don't want to get stranded hundreds of miles from home. Did I make a mistake?
  • mharde2mharde2 Posts: 278
    ladyblue, Relax..Most of the transmission problems where in the 94-95 models. They have been beefed up sense then. You shouldn't have any problems...Enjoy your new truck.
  • kDUKEkkDUKEk Posts: 10
    Ladies and gentlemen:

The folks at DaimlerChrysler have unveiled the Dodge Power Wagon concept truck at the Detroit Auto Show. After my laughter died down, I do have this to say about the concept truck....

While it has a powerful, clean engine as well as a strong winch, the sheet metal is something else altogether. It's somewhat likeable, although quite unpracticable. I sure hope the next-generation full-size is not based on this concept.

Also, a top-dog bean counter from VW was observing the Power Wagon and the Chevy Silverado -- Can anyone say "Volkswagon Pickup for the next century?" Ugh, I sure hope not!

I'm just going to stick with my 1991 Ford F-150.
    I have a 98 Ram with the 360 engine. According to Dodge, I should use fuel with a min octane of 87. While driving from Minnesota to Colorado, I noticed that in Colorado, in order to get 87 octane, I had to buy premium fuel. I was towing a trailer and didn't want to risk damaging the engine so I bought the premium fuel. After I returned to Minnesota, I gave it more thought and questioned if it was really necessary to use the premium. Since the air is thinner in Colorado, it should be OK to use regular 85 octane fuel. Does that make sense or do I always have to switch to premium at higher altitudes????? Thanks
    jerry,

Your assumption was correct; at altitude, use the regular, in spite of its reduced pump octane.
    Does anyone know the best way to seal the 1/4 inch gaps on the sides of the tailgate on my 98 Ram 1500? I have a topper and everytime I am on a dusty road, I get a lot of dust in the back of the truck. Are there commercially available seals I can install?? Thanks!
    Good question, jerryg4. I also have a cap on mine and sometimes even sleep back there for short camping trips. I'd like to be able to block out rain and cold drafts. I could just put weatherstripping along the sides but would rather use something made for that purpose.
    Ladyblue-
    I too would like to use something made for that purpose. Considering that a lot of people have toppers and would probably like to keep the back reasonably clean, I was quite supprised that the gap was not weatherstripped from the factory.
  • tmd01tmd01 Posts: 23
    The Dodge Power Wagon reminds me of an older Power wagon of vintage 40's range. I remember seeing Earl Flynn? being presented with one. It was a very rugged looking truck. I'd like to have one. But this new one looks like it might get beat up a bit on the trail.
    Just an update on an earlier post....I spoke to the Dodge dealer again concerning the mileage limit of my proposed lease - 12,000 vs. 15,000. When I told him I was aware of the dealer holdback, and how since I was factory-ordering he'd be getting the full percent on this, he jokingly threatened to cut my phone lines to my computer and gave me the 15,000 miles at no extra cost.

Two years ago I was ripped off by my local Ford dealer. Although I was upset at the time, I didn't know until now the full extent of it. When it came time to close the lease on the truck I got from him, he again gave me a line of BS and actually got angry with me when I told him I was looking at Dodge. I got the name of another Ford dealer from AutoVantage and called them, but they never returned my call. Two thumbs down for Ford, with an extra boot in the pants for Licardi Ford, Watchung, NJ. I will be sure to wave at them as I drive by in my shiny new Dodge Ram!
    Ladyblue

I did the route 22 Ford dealers years ago - and I never left with a new one. The Fords I did have were obtained elsewhere, and after the last F-series, you'd have to give me a Ford free to get me to drive one again. And I certainly won't shop ANY dealer on 22...
    kcram,

You are so right! I hit every dealer on Rt. 22 and came up empty. Besides the above mentioned Ford dealer, the so-called Chevy dealer only had ONE truck on the entire lot, and the Dodge dealer pulled the "what do we have to do to get you in a new truck today?" schpiel. This kid was greener than the truck he was trying to sell me. The GM dealer acted like he was wasting his time and wanted to know why such a "little lady" needed such a big truck.

I ended up at Linden Motors (thru AutoVantage) and they have been princes!
  • DmatDmat Posts: 43
    You guys are making me homesick. Please stop with the Rt 22. Talk about the toll boths every quarter mile on the GSP. :)

Matt D
    Anything you say Matt...I can see exit 136 from here!! Don't you love how when you ask someone from New Jersey where they live, they usually answer with an exit number?

Cheer up, you aren't missing anything...New Jersey is still the armpit of the nation!!
    BTW, is there a website where I can see a recent road test of the Ram 1500? Edmund's doesn't have one, even going back as far as 1996. Is this because it's not a new design? Shouldn't they do an update of these road tests every year? Seems they only test new trucks or revamped models. With this method, they're only testing new models against each other, disregarding the old "stand-bys" that have been around for a couple of years.

Please excuse my ignorance if this is a silly question.
    ladyblue,

Not a silly question at all:

Truck Trend's current newsstand issue has a test of 4x4 extended cab short-bed half-tons, so expect it on their website (www.trucktrend.com) soon.

Motort Trend has a compariosn of two wheel drive trucks at
    http://www.motortrend.com/august98/trux/trux_f.html

A fairly lame road test can be found at
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/ptoty/98/dodge.html
    Matt,

Ever sincew I-78 was finished, route 22 just hasn't been the same :)
This discussion has been closed.