Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

96 Grand Am (4 cyl.): Engine Tick

no_suggestionno_suggestion Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Pontiac
I think we all would love to have a car that never broke, never needed maintance, gas, oil, etc...

Everyone but the mechanics of course!

Here is a description of my newest problem and a little history on my car.

First off I have a '96 Grand Am with the Quad 4. A nice powerful 4 cyl. with a bad wrap I guess. At 52K mile I developed an internal engine tick that was audible at idle as well as under load. The dealer had to pull the motor completely apart and after 2 weeks found the problem. Turned out that the culprit was a bearing on piston No. 1. not sure if it was a pin, or which end of the piston is was... At any rate problem solved save a new barely audible whine that surfaced (sounded like the car was blown if you've ever heard a blower)

30K miles later the tick is back... The symptoms are a little different this time and I am hoping that it is something simple like the oil pump (fingers crossed). I now hear a tick on acceleration, above 2500 RPM. At highway speed the tick is less audible (GA are know for road noise he?) The tick dissapears when the engine in not loaded, such as when going down hill.

I have an appointment with the dealer, but not for another week. I don't have a mechanic that I trust, so I am pretty much stuck taking it to the dealer. Any suggestion on mechanics in the St. Charles, MO / O'Fallon, MO area that would be capable of handing this type problem.

Also, if you have any ideas as to what the problem _might_ be I would love to hear them... but be gentle, I am not sure my pocket book can afford a $2000-$2500 bill... can you tell I like visiting the mechanic about as much as I do the dentist?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like an exhaust leak perhaps, or a noisy lifter. Also, your dealer's original diagnosis sounds like a wrist pin noise. You could have this problem again. The way to diagnose wrist pin noise is to (carefully!) disconnect the spark plug wire at the suspected cylinder. If the noise immediately doubles in frequency, it's a wrist pin.
  • no_suggestionno_suggestion Member Posts: 4
    Never thought about it being an exhaust leak... Is the wrist pin what holds the "not sure what is called" collar to the piston shaft where they meet the crank?

I have it scheduled to go in the shop on Monday. I will follow up with the verdict.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The wrist pin holds the piston to the connecting rod, yes.
    to pull the engine... minimum of $600!

I am waiting on GM Customer service. Since I have had this issue in the past, I am hoping that I will get some sort of cost assistance, otherwise it may be time to rebuild the engine...

$3500 ballpark!
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    technical advice for you-but: My little experience over the years is that sometimes you trade one problem for another. Spending 2K+ on a "tick" *may* solve that problem but there is always risk of rebuilding the engine and a year later having a problem because of the rebuile. You may be seeing that now. I'd let it go and wait for it to get worse. What do you have to loose?

BTW I'm a GM fan but that bad rap on the Quad-looks like it is in your case.

Like I said- this may be bad advice.
    I appreciate your thoughts on the subject... I guess I can continue to drive the vehicle with the tick until it either goes away, or blows up.

GM has decided not to provide any assistance on this one... On one hand I want to scream lemon, but on the other, the vehicle runs great, I just have this suspicion that it's days are numbered.

Thanks for the advice...
  • paulbrustaspaulbrustas Member Posts: 5
    The Q4 has always been a noisey motor. Yes I know that this is a new noise .... and yea it may be an exhaust leak as previously mentioned. \\\

What I am getting at, is that if you go to Midas and they say the exhaust system is tight, then you probably would do well just to live with it. To spend lotsa money on a minor noise on an engine that is prone to them, is not being wise in my opine.
This discussion has been closed.