Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Accessories and Modifications

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
edited June 23 in Buick
What accessories and/or modifications have you added to your Rendezvous?

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• john325john325 Posts: 237
    I've ordered the tow hitch, and have already picked up the GM bike rack; I'm still waiting for the tow hitch to arrive. I know buzzbo has already received his. I'm hoping to have ours before our end-of-the-month Yosemite trip. - I'm not planning on towing anything, just lugging bikes around without scratching up the RDV.

John B.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Anyone know anything about roof top luggage carriers? I'm thinking about one of those bullet shaped ones for my RDV.

I'm wondering if there are aftermarket ones that mount to the existing cross bars or do I need to get something from GM?

BTW, just what are those cross bars for? Are they universal to most aftermarket attachments for luggage carriers, bike racks, etc?
    Brian,

Bullet-shaped??? - - You're working too hard Brian. Seriously, have you considered one of the cloth/fabric type carriers. The plus-side is once you get to your destination, you can unpack and fold-up/pack-away the fabric carrier.

The downside for this type is that it rests directly on the roof, rather than on the croossbars. It just occurred to me that I believe you have the sunroof - - would that prevent you from using the fabric-type carrier that rests on the roof-top?

We've used the cloth-fabric carrier in the past & will probably continue to use it w/ the RDV; you can really fit quite a bit in them. Just an idea...

John B.
    Sorry, Freudian slip.

John, I don't think I've ever seen a fabric one before...I can't picture it.

The one I'm thinking of is hard plastic and shaped aerodynamically. It mounts on the cross bars and rides above the roof. It kind of looks like a Kayak, and rather sporty, in a "I'm a renaissance man" sort of way.

BTW, you're right about the sunroof. The owners manual says that the front cross bar must be in the rear most position in order to open the sunroof. I don't know yet how that will effect accessories. As often as I will carry stuff on top, it's no big deal.

I will admit that it was a surprise when I took delivery yesterday because I never knew that the roof slid back ON TOP OF the roof (a la Honda CRX). I don't know why they did it that way as there is more than enough head room for a "normal" sunroof.
  • mmeehanmmeehan Posts: 66
    Now that you mention it, it is kind of strange to have the sunroof glass go back on top of the roof. I never noticed that (I guess because I'm always driving the RDV and not looking at it from the outside). It may limit what kind of luggage carrier we who have sunroofs can install. I did notice that the sunroof seemed rather narrow (from front to back) and was wondering why it wasn't larger. Maybe because of the fact that it goes back outside on to the roof.
  • habitanthabitant Posts: 7
    G M in their Buick Rendez Vous accessory catalog have both the rigid and the
    fabric luggage carriers.Apparently the soft one can be fixed to your roof rack,
    openes from two sides and can be locked. The part number 12497827
    Thanks for the info. I'll go check out the Buick model. I think I'll go to REI and ask them if they have any advice. Maybe Yakima makes something?
  • lance_wlance_w Posts: 8
    I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this or not, but it's worth a try...

I'll be upgrading the stereo in my RDV very soon and I was wondering if the Metra wiring harness from a 93+ Firebird (standard GM) will fit the RDV's? I haven't seen anyone advertising a harness that will fit anything above a 2000 so I'm just wondering if there will be any issues...?
    Brian: the one you're speaking of sounds cool; I'm sure I've seen something like that on the road.

Habitant: the fabric carrier that attaches to the rack sounds pretty good; the one I've used in the past just sits on the roof and can be strapped to the roof rack or whatever. I'll have to look into the GM/RDV catalog for the one you spoke about. - - I like the fact that the fabric ones can be folded up and put away, saving lots of space.
    John, that's a good point about folding it and putting it away. Storage space is prime real estate in our garage and I'm not sure where I would keep a big plastic behemoth!

Fortunately it's not an urgent requirement. I can take my time and fully investigate my options. The fabric is sounding better.
    Just got a call from my dealer that the tow hitch arrived. I guess it took about 3-4 weeks. I'll have it installed next week. With that and the bike rack that I purchased, we'll be all ready for our Yosemite trip.
    I think you made the right choice. I think I was reading the RX300 forum where owners were complaining that the roof-top racks generated a lot of noise (several people mentioned the cross tubes being especially noisy). It is also hard to reach up there.
    See Post #5 at Rendezvous Problems & Solutions before adding GM bike rack.
    The above link I posted is not connecting properly. So, hopefully this will work. Try clicking this link & reading posts #3-7 before buying GM bike rack.

Rendezvous Problems & Solutions
  • rem933rem933 Posts: 10
    I went out and purchased rubber mats for the RDV.
    I bought the Weathertech mats from MacNeil. They are high quality and should do a great job protecting the carpets.
    The front mats fit perfectly. The center mats (I have captain chairs) fit a number of different vehicles and require some trimming to fit correctly. They have grooves along which the edges to trim along, and is quite easy with a utility knife.
    Currently, a cargo mat is not available for RDV's with a third seat. The front and center mats are the same as the ones used in the Aztek. With the third seat option, the cargo mats they have will not fit. Apperantly the seats don't fold down low and flat enough for the Aztek mats to fit. The folks there said that they still haven't tried them in a RDV without the third seat, so they may have one that works. They also said they weren't going to be making custom mat until the sales numbers go up. They may have gotten stung by the Aztek.
    Although they are not in the catalog, they found small mats that fit the third seat.
    -Rich
  • Rich, thanks for the info....I'm still a little
    puzzled....I will not have the 3rd seat in my
    vehicle and my 2nd row will be out as well - it's uncertain wether the Aztek mat will fit is that correct? I know it will not go all the way to the front seats obviously.
    Any ideas then what to use between the cargo mat and up to front seats...? I'm sure I'll just have to make do with a "mix & match" of mats...
    The Weathertech mats do look attractive and I am considering them.
  • They weren't sure if the Aztek mats would fit without the 3rd seat. When they saw me pull up in the RDV, someone ran out to ask if I had the 3rd seat. no luck.

They do have a wide variety of mats, and VERY helpful, so they might be able to help.
  • Can't answer your question but do know that the Rendezvous is a half foot longer that the Aztek. So if the half foot is mostly longer cargo space, perhaps the Aztek product might not be a perfect fit.

CWJ
  • Has anyone found a cargo liner for a third row seat RDV? I'd like to get one. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.